• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Verbal abuse and threats towards civil servants uncalled for: Shanmugam

hokkien

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SINGAPORE - In a Facebook post on Wednesday, Law Minister K Shanmugam shared a case of a man who threatened to burn down the Legal Aid Bureau when the bureau was unable to help him, using it as an example of how verbal abuse and threats against civil servants are 'uncalled for' and 'unacceptable'.

His Facebook post is reproduced in full below:

"The interactions between front line officers of government and members of the public sometimes comes up for comment - with members of the public recounting how they feel unhappy with the treatment they get. And it is important that the public is treated with courtesy. Civil servants must treat the public properly.

"Sometimes it happens the other way as well - with frontline officers getting rudely treated by some members of the public. Thankfully these are a small minority.

"Recently I was briefed about an unfortunate incident that occurred at the Legal Aid Bureau. A man had sought the bureau's help in commencing divorce proceedings against his wife. The bureau was unable to help him as he had been married for less than three years, the minimum legal requirement (barring exceptional circumstances).

"The man became agitated and started smoking and burning forms in the bureau. He also threatened to smash the office with a hammer and burn it down.The man was arrested before he could carry out his threats.

"What this man did was unacceptable. His verbal abuse and threats toward LAB staff were uncalled for, especially since the staff had tried their best to help him. But this is not a standalone incident. In the past few months, I have heard of other instances of civil servants being verbally abused. This is not right.

"Civil servants perform their duties to the best of their abilities, just like everyone else. They play vital but oft-unseen roles in the running of our country."

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
I actually agree with this. Those rank and file civil servants are only doing their jobs, and they should't be abused for no worthy reason. The higher ranked ones on the other hand....

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I actually agree with this. Those rank and file civil servants are only doing their jobs, and they should't be abused for no worthy reason. The higher ranked ones on the other hand....

They still use the term "Civil servant"??? ha ha ha....we are the servants...is Shame My Gun a CIVIL SERVANT...:rolleyes:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We pay the taxes, we'll abuse you if we want to.

Consider yourselves lucky. In other countries, inept civil servants have been beaten up or murdered.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore locals in the service industry whether public or private are generally very customer friendly and helpful. You just go to some of the first world countries where their service are below par.

However the same cannot be said of foreign service staff in Singapore. They are mixed in their approach. They will take advantage of the vulnerable and the meek and can be rude. But the fawning when a white man is a customer is breathtaking.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore locals in the service industry whether public or private are generally very customer friendly and helpful. You just go to some of the first world countries where their service are below par.

However the same cannot be said of foreign service staff in Singapore. They are mixed in their approach. They will take advantage of the vulnerable and the meek and can be rude. But the fawning when a white man is a customer is breathtaking.

If you want to see fawning over ang mohs, just hop over to one of the train stations on Sentosa. Disgusting.

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

pray to your alter ego jesus christ to make u whtite lor, in your next one million lives

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal

What about the other way round...... ie civil serpent abusing citizens? ...& false accusations? I kena before
Luckily the IO squashed it after I proved to him that the charge cannot stand. Wasted 8 hours of my time in police station... And nother happened to the serpent who made the false accusation......... the Superintendent apologised to me in person though

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its absolutely civil about SPF sanctioned police taking picures,subtle intimidation of the rally goers (non pap ones of course). Paying lips service to peasants, speaking with forked tongue with condescending and patronising attitude.

PAP indeed bestest bestee! BEST! YAH!