• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kindle for Singapore Discussion

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am aware of the digital books and Singapore. You don't need Kindle to buy and read the books. iPad, PC, Mac all can do it and use other country's accounts. People are wondering why when they switch between Uk and US for example, they can use only one account.

I am aware my Apple products can buy books etc from iTunes, I have iBooks bought from Apple, but I like the Kindle Paper white & the predecessor, a electronic book reader, but Amazon killed that interest, with their restriction.

I still have the Kindle eReader but it is not even being charged up, I read the books sync with Kindle App on my iPad mini, which now had became my ebook reader, not only for iBooks content but Kindle books.

It is still a hassle today, but I find interesting & cheaper titles I get from amazon, I still, buy the gift card from eBay & send the code to my friend in the States, or send money to my friend to credit his Amazon account & then gift the Kindle books to me & I download to my iPad mini... roundabout way. what to do? AMAZON ARE YOU LISTENING?.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Its a series of issues including intellectual property, publishing rights and MDA stringent rules and regulations. Amazon will typically work country by country and hopefully it comes thru. Even then certain title will not be available. Good to hold onto US or a 1st world account.

Jeff Bezos who is the boss of Amazon is pioneer of the cyber revolution together with Jobs and others. He is has the most sophisticated warehouse operation in the world and major leader in supply side management for consumer goods. Not only is the online delivery impressive so is the physical delivery.

He has one of the most impressive IT R&D lab n the world to support his vision.

That doesn't explain why Thailand is allowed I mean this is a country I would least expect to be able to buy kindle books, anyway its a pleasant surprise for me and I can ow read from my iPad.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That doesn't explain why Thailand is allowed I mean this is a country I would least expect to be able to buy kindle books, anyway its a pleasant surprise for me and I can ow read from my iPad.

You sure, I can open a Thailand Amazon account, buy kindle books from USA site or UK site & they allow this? AMAZING? or you are lying?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
You sure, I can open a Thailand Amazon account, buy kindle books from USA site or UK site & they allow this? AMAZING? or you are lying?

Sorry halsey02, I got no idea what you mean about USA or UK. You may have misunderstood what I was saying

I started this thread to ask about how to buy Kindle books with my Amazon account which I registered with a Singapore account and credit card. I was getting rejected. I was reading for ways and it always seems to point to asking someone overseas to do it for me or borrowing a overseas credit card etc etc. Its been almost a year looking for ways to buy but all seem very leche. There are a few books I have been wanting to buy and I was about to buy them at the book shop but thought I'd give another try here before I do that.

Leongsam's reply on post #3 that he has a NZ account made me ask myself why don't I try to register a Thai based account since I live here. I registered the new account with my address and local credit card and lo and behold I could purchase. So halsey02, about 9 hours ago I was able to purchase the 4 books I was wanting to purchase. That is all I had said and these are no lies and no I am not lying in any way.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't own the kindle but have use PC, iPad and Mac as reader. Use the app the download. Heard enough about the trouble. I use Amazon US and foreign card.

Tried changing the country setting in your account and give it try. Wendy seems to get by with local card. Agree on Amazon having the widest range. My default is Amazon US to get widest possible.

I am aware my Apple products can buy books etc from iTunes, I have iBooks bought from Apple, but I like the Kindle Paper white & the predecessor, a electronic book reader, but Amazon killed that interest, with their restriction.

I still have the Kindle eReader but it is not even being charged up, I read the books sync with Kindle App on my iPad mini, which now had became my ebook reader, not only for iBooks content but Kindle books.

It is still a hassle today, but I find interesting & cheaper titles I get from amazon, I still, buy the gift card from eBay & send the code to my friend in the States, or send money to my friend to credit his Amazon account & then gift the Kindle books to me & I download to my iPad mini... roundabout way. what to do? AMAZON ARE YOU LISTENING?.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

I got no idea which Amazon site I am in (US or UK) when I used my Thai account to sign in however this is the site

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

he doesn't know the answer from the way he dances around. i'm actually amused by the amount of rope one has to hang himself. :wink:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You need to read your post to me. You asked about Singapore. I have no idea why Thailand is included but Thailand has tendency to reactive. Until something bad is written about the monarchy then they are blocked.

The default for Thailand and any country that it does not have country domain is Amazon US.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
to answer joe, the answer lies in the convoluted concept of open territory and the cat and mouse game that publishers, retailers, and buyers go through with each country's licensing, censorship, and copyright laws that vary from country to country. for example, copyright to 1984 in the u.s. expires in 2044 while it has already expired in australia and canada. go figure. norway, a 1st world liberal country with easy laws, faces the same amazonian issue as another 1st world cuntry, sg. :rolleyes:

http://boingboing.net/2012/10/22/kindle-user-claims-amazon-dele.html

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You need to read your post to me. You asked about Singapore. I have no idea why Thailand is included but Thailand has tendency to reactive. Until something bad is written about the monarchy then they are blocked.

The default for Thailand and any country that it does not have country domain is Amazon US.

thank you for the laughs! it's saturday morning here, and it makes my day. :biggrin:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
thanks to the pap, like in norway and some other literary liberated cuntries (ironically), sg is actually open territory for almost all titles, where no publisher is registered as the exclusive provider of a given edition. except perhaps for old fart's wonderful books. it's not sg's nor norway's fault. the problem lies with amazon and google in the way they police and administer drm challenges. :p

http://sazpames.wordpress.com/2014/05/29/publishing-open-territory-global-boundaries-for-e-books/

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
he doesn't know the answer from the way he dances around. i'm actually amused by the amount of rope one has to hang himself. :wink:

Wouldn't a VPN connection be able to sort out any sort of geo restrictions.

EG if you registered for an Amazon account in Singapore with a SG credit card and you're now in Thailand, connecting to Amazon via a Singapore VPN server would make Amazon think that you're connecting from home base.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

EG if you registered for an Amazon account in Singapore with a SG credit card and you're now in Thailand, connecting to Amazon via a Singapore VPN server would make Amazon think that you're connecting from home base.

the example should be the other way round, where thailand is closed territory (where amazon honors the purchase) and sg is open territory (where amazon does not honor the purchase). a vpn tunnel may hide the "open territory" sg source IP address, but depending on other apps that are active, for example apps that derive location based on metadata from wi-fi access point and gps and inadvertently forward metadata inside tunnel, policing software with correlation capabilities on the server end may inadvertently deduce your true location. :eek:

the beef is mainly with publishers and their archaic method of doing drm. both amazon and google rely on onix metadata supplied by publishers to separate closed territories from open territories. including kobo, they cannot modify the metadata but simply comply with it. complying with it in their brute force algorithms may cause, except for kobo because kobo unlike amazon and google does not "un-download", all these cases of prior purchases being removed from buyers' devices simply because they cross into "open territories". that's inexcusable. at least, amazon and google should honor those prior purchases and leave them intact on the device even though device passes thru' "open territories".

that said, it's worth a test with the vpn. over a short time, however, i think other geo-based metadata on other apps will inadvertently sniff your device's actual location out.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I have tried the VPN Account....results not that satisfactory, for it bounces off some server somewhere & it lags at time. So, it was back to the way of paying my friend & gifting the Kindle book to my Amazon Account.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I got no idea which Amazon site I am in (US or UK) when I used my Thai account to sign in however this is the site

That is the generic log-in screen...I see that too. Are you sure you can buy all & every kindle books through your Thailand registered account with Thailand credit card?

I have cleared cache, I have changed country...which made it worse...especially if it says SINGAPORE, you will be informed that certain digital content is not available in your country, due to.........!

Maybe they do not like "mee siam mai hum" government, censorship! Like I have said , I have a long email ding dong with Amazon on this, this subtly taught me the "gift me", trick!!.

SO, I was surprised that, you open a Thai Amazon Account & Thai Credit card, you are able to buy kindle books...surprised!!. Next, are you able to buy the Kindle Paperwhite device, with your Thai Account, & ship that to Thailand?? try & let me know.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe they do not like "mee siam mai hum" government, censorship! Like I have said , I have a long email ding dong with Amazon on this, this subtly taught me the "gift me", trick!!.

nothing to do with censorship in sg. sg, like many european countries, are classified as open territory on drm policies of english-language publishers in the u.s. and uk. such publishers don't like to sell their english titles in "open territory" countries as there's no exclusivity, and they care for their margins. english-language publishers in the u.s. and uk operate like cartels and the book mafia. the uk syndicates even discriminate against u.s. ones to protect their turf in europe.

old article, but still relevant....
http://www.idealog.com/blog/are-ope...aybe-our-london-show-will-help-me-understand/

Last edited: