• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kindle for Singapore Discussion

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I have bee trying to see how to purchase and use Kindle books online I have an Amazon account but it seems I cannot make any purchase of Kindle version I like to know:

1. Is it possible for Singaporeans to purchase Kindle version books online?

2. If can purchase how do I read it in my iPad or iPhone or Macbook?

Thank you all in advance

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have bee trying to see how to purchase and use Kindle books online I have an Amazon account but it seems I cannot make any purchase of Kindle version I like to know:

Thank you all in advance

(1) You must have an USA based account with amazon
(2) The Kindle device must be bought over there, by someone, who is a USA citizen.

That's the starter, my experience with the Kindle: ( this apply to the eReader)

a. Kindles can be bought in Singapore, the price is 2-3 times that, you get from Amazon...sorry, Amazon doesn't ship that to Singapore. The Japanese version, ships to Japan etc.. NOT TO SINGAPORE!.

b. The ones you buy here teaches you to buy the ebooks by vpn etc...rather inconvenient.

I bought a Kindle through a friend in the States, who shipped it to me by post, & upon receipt I registered the device with my USA Amazon Account. Initially I was able to buy Kindle ebooks through my account, then, Amazon blocked me from buying, for I was buying them from SINgapore. They wanted to see a USA ID, citing that some copyright restrictions, they are not able to sell me, book titles ( same title, iBooks, sell you freely, but cost a few $$ more). The only way to get round this restriction, I send money to my friend in the States or buy the gift card from ebay & sent the code to my friend to credit his amazon account. Then I give my friend the list of kindle books I want, my friend would buy them through his Amazon Account & gift the books to me. I would either download the titles to my device in Singapore ( kindle) or I download them through KINDLE APP on my iPad. I get to read the kindle books, in which Amazon, will never sell me, if I own a Kindle device in SINgapore.

Till this day, you cannot buy a Kindle from Amazon with a SINgapore Account or address & ship here...& if you do have one, you cannot buy any Kindle books, or any contents either to your Kindle device. The rest of the Kindles, forget it...the video contents etc.. are country restricted. Amazon..is a stupid retailer. Try buying music CD... from UK Amazon?, they doesn't ship the titles here..so are the Japanese sites...USA sites some title...etc

The Kindle eReader is a better book reader that the iPad's....but AMAZON does not want SINgaporean's business...nor the countries in SEA for we are "pirates".. according to them, in some subtle, email exchanges I have with Amazon, customer service.

Sorry folks, buying from Apple...better experience, cost a bit more...if you want to read eBooks of certain titles..or most titles!

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Thank you all in advance

I have a NZ amazon account and I have no problems purchasing the Kindle version with the "1 click" option.

To read it on your iPhone or iPad, download the Kindle App. http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000493771

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Thank yo haksey and leongsam.

I was trying very hard to make purchases and failed everytime it says Singapore not allowed. I even wanted to try to "borrow" nieve's American credit card and address to register but then I thought I give it a shot here asking forummers if they know how to.

After reading leongsam's reply above I thought hell since they Amazon don't allow me why not I register a new Thai account with Thai address and credit card. BINGO! I hit the jackpot. Thailand is allowed. So damn happy now. Bought 4 books immediately

Happy like a toad now

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i bought my first NEW kindle, basic version from a guy on hardware zone
that was in 2012. later sold that and got a kindle paperwhite, ordered directly from amazon USA and shipped to me here viz hopshopgo.com

i have both amazon uk and amazon usa account,

somehow, altho i cant remember what i did, i am able to buy kindle books from my UK account but not the USA one.

Last edited:

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
both my UK and USA amazon accounts i use my local POSB debit visa card
have done so for the last few years

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Amazon has one of the most sophisticated detection engines behind it payment processing system. It however gives the impression that it is not because it is one of the rare few that only ask you card number and expiry date and nothing else.

So if you want to make the initial connection with the device and the account. You must be in the same country. Once you have a history, there should not be problem.

The other things is that like Apple, you attempt to arbitrage between countries for the price differential, they will confine you to one country. You can go around it by changing your payment card from country that issued it.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thank yo haksey and leongsam.

I was trying very hard to make purchases and failed everytime it says Singapore not allowed. I even wanted to try to "borrow" nieve's American credit card and address to register but then I thought I give it a shot here asking forummers if they know how to.

After reading leongsam's reply above I thought hell since they Amazon don't allow me why not I register a new Thai account with Thai address and credit card. BINGO! I hit the jackpot. Thailand is allowed. So damn happy now. Bought 4 books immediately

Happy like a toad now

I have a long email exchanges with Amazon, buying kindle books using my Amazon USA Account, even it has credits from the gift cards, I did not use t to link to my SINgapore credit cards, initially it was fine, but Amazon blocked the download, saying that, I am in another country - SINGAPORE, I cannot purchase Kindle Books...they wanted proof of US Residency & ID.

The only ay going round this stupid policy of theirs, I had my friend to GIFT the book to me & I can download it on my kindle device or my Apple Devices using Kindle APP...wtf??

Like the Cantonese saying " choy fu all pay"...meaning, taking down the pants to fart!... Amazon made it sound like, we have plenty of "pirates" in SINgapore, that, is why the publishers restrict selling their digital content to us...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Forget to add that it hold the benchmark for the fastest payment processing and online delivery - less than 45 secs for a book.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Forget to add that it hold the benchmark for the fastest payment processing and online delivery - less than 45 secs for a book.

That is true & that is not the bone of contention here, the problem is, we cannot buy KINDLE ebook device in SINgapore or through Amazon to SINgapore, even the Japanese version, they are not for sale here..none are. What you see advertised here, are devices bought overseas & sold here 100-200% more than the sale price by Amazon & is you use your amazon SINgapore account to register the device...you are sure, your kindle books, will never be downloaded.

Speed of download & clarity etc... is a wonder by Amazon....SINGAPORE is one of their 'BANNED" countries, selling digital book contents to...ha ha ha ha

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am aware of the digital books and Singapore. You don't need Kindle to buy and read the books. iPad, PC, Mac all can do it and use other country's accounts. People are wondering why when they switch between Uk and US for example, they can use only one account.

That is true & that is not the bone of contention here, the problem is, we cannot buy KINDLE ebook device in SINgapore or through Amazon to SINgapore, even the Japanese version, they are not for sale here..none are. What you see advertised here, are devices bought overseas & sold here 100-200% more than the sale price by Amazon & is you use your amazon SINgapore account to register the device...you are sure, your kindle books, will never be downloaded.

Speed of download & clarity etc... is a wonder by Amazon....SINGAPORE is one of their 'BANNED" countries, selling digital book contents to...ha ha ha ha

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Amazon has one of the most sophisticated detection engines behind it payment processing system. It however gives the impression that it is not because it is one of the rare few that only ask you card number and expiry date and nothing else.

So if you want to make the initial connection with the device and the account. You must be in the same country. Once you have a history, there should not be problem.

The other things is that like Apple, you attempt to arbitrage between countries for the price differential, they will confine you to one country. You can go around it by changing your payment card from country that issued it.
what FOOking BS
i havent had a holiday in at least 6 years

make initial connection ? it was done in good ol d singapore

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yet another who tried to game the system. Everyday there will be a few that will banned by a online vendor, a payment company, a card issuer and then you see the fun. First they will buy a new device to set a new account, when that fails, they will change ISP, when that fails they will suck thumb.

Hi all-

I have been a loyal Amazon.com customer for many years, but today, I received an email stating that I have been banned from the site and my account has been closed, because I apparently have an extraordinary rate of requesting refunds due to a variety of factors.

This is patently not true: I have only returned items that were defective, in complete accordance with their policies. I was not trying to game the system, I was not trying to get things for free - I just wanted products that worked properly, and if they didn't, they went back.

There was no warning; in fact, when I asked a question about the lightness of my Kindle's e-ink, a cs rep said "no problem, I'll send you a new one" -- and even after I told him "don't bother if it's going to be the same, mine is OK" -- he sent a new one anyway.

I have certainly kept thousands of dollars worth of items purchased from Amazon and planned to be a lifelong customer.

The ban from the main site is bad (and inexplicable) enough, but...

I have now discovered that I cannot manage my Kindle2 account (I can't log into Amazon) or purchase any new content.

In effect, I now have a $359 brick, not covered under any warranty, not able to be used the way it was meant to be, not able to be returned (not that I even want to, I just want to keep reading!)

I called customer service several times today; the supervisors there explained that I cannot use the Kindle store but "I can get content onto the machine different ways."

I have emailed the proper address, but I'm not hopeful of a positive solution.

I know you all don't know me from Adam, but I'm a good guy and didn't deserve this at all -- and no, I'm not going to bash Amazon here -- instead, I'm just going to tell y'all I'm going to make every call and write every (professional) email I can to get this situation resolved.

But please let this be a lesson to all of us - when you buy a Kindle, you are really buying a service-

-and that service can be turned off at a whim.

Not cool at all.

Amazon, do you have any people who monitor these forums? As I've stated, I'm a loyal customer and would like to believe this is an error or some inadvertent mistake.

Will you make it right? Please help.

-Ian

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I re-read your post. Have you got a foreign issued credit card? If so, use it and change your country settings in your account to the same as credit card. No need VPN. Its a straight 1 click download.

I have a long email exchanges with Amazon, buying kindle books using my Amazon USA Account, even it has credits from the gift cards, I did not use t to link to my SINgapore credit cards, initially it was fine, but Amazon blocked the download, saying that, I am in another country - SINGAPORE, I cannot purchase Kindle Books...they wanted proof of US Residency & ID.

The only ay going round this stupid policy of theirs, I had my friend to GIFT the book to me & I can download it on my kindle device or my Apple Devices using Kindle APP...wtf??

Like the Cantonese saying " choy fu all pay"...meaning, taking down the pants to fart!... Amazon made it sound like, we have plenty of "pirates" in SINgapore, that, is why the publishers restrict selling their digital content to us...

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Any idea why Amazon has a problem with Singapore a first world country while they don't have a problem with a third world military junta country, strange right?

Sure was damn fast, withing 5 seconds SMS received from cradit card company of purchase and yes less thank 45 second all done and delivered.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its a series of issues including intellectual property, publishing rights and MDA stringent rules and regulations. Amazon will typically work country by country and hopefully it comes thru. Even then certain title will not be available. Good to hold onto US or a 1st world account.

Jeff Bezos who is the boss of Amazon is pioneer of the cyber revolution together with Jobs and others. He is has the most sophisticated warehouse operation in the world and major leader in supply side management for consumer goods. Not only is the online delivery impressive so is the physical delivery.

He has one of the most impressive IT R&D lab n the world to support his vision.

Any idea why Amazon has a problem with Singapore a first world country while they don't have a problem with a third world military junta country, strange right?

Sure was damn fast, withing 5 seconds SMS received from cradit card company of purchase and yes less thank 45 second all done and delivered.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Either you are early pioneer and missed the filter or just lucky that POSB debit is not on the list. They have been known to send letters couple of years after accepting order. Suggest you don't change card.

i definately dont have a foreign issued credit card
only POSB debit card