• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore buys tanks Merkava Mk 4

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Someone had this vision of an "invincible" armored column streaming down the North-South highway towards KL in the same way the US steamed toward Baghdad in Gulf War 2.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And the SAF does not train its tank crews to operate in the urban, nor its infantry to do tank-infantry co-operation in the urban area. Armour and AI/Inf have to work as a close team when fighting in build up areas and there is just no doctrine for this. As I have said before, the SAF is just one big wayang show.

as an ex armour rifleman, I can vouch for the above. I dunno whether saf change tactics in the last 5 yrs because of leo2 but during the SM1 era, armour grenadiers never do those war movie scene where grenadiers advance toward enemy positions under cover behind the tanks. NEVER NEVER NEVER, not even rural setting. Every assault against enemy fixed positions, normal hilltop, high point overlook key junction/axis etc etc..., it always the expendable pengkias, armed with weapons no bigger than the 7.62gpmg, to flush the enemy and secure position b4 radio the tanks/ifv/apc to come. knn, see movie or show, always see grenadiers ride into battle, only saf's grenadiers spend more time on foot than inside their IFV.:oIo:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Someone had this vision of an "invincible" armored column streaming down the North-South highway towards KL in the same way the US steamed toward Baghdad in Gulf War 2.

drive along NS highway, u can see many hills that "command" over the terrain. a couple of atgw teams can cause some serious damages to the armoured column. heck, put rpg teams on kupkia in every bends the column also beh tahan.

who will protect the flanks of the armour column? the foot infantry? can keep up? sandtable do very shiok, it never the same on the ground and us pengkia will have to pay for those senior arseholes mistake with our lives. if really activiated, I rather take my chance by driving south toward istana than cross the causeway.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
drive along NS highway, u can see many hills that "command" over the terrain. a couple of atgw teams can cause some serious damages to the armoured column. heck, put rpg teams on kupkia in every bends the column also beh tahan.

who will protect the flanks of the armour column? the foot infantry? can keep up? sandtable do very shiok, it never the same on the ground and us pengkia will have to pay for those senior arseholes mistake with our lives. if really activiated, I rather take my chance by driving south toward istana than cross the causeway.

it's suicidal for armored columns to spearhead a deep incursion on their own. heliborne forces would go in first, clear possible chokes along the armored route, secure strong points, and marry up with armor. all that with air superiority. and repeat until objectives are met.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's suicidal for armored columns to spearhead a deep incursion on their own. heliborne forces would go in first, clear possible chokes along the armored route, secure strong points, and marry up with armor. all that with air superiority. and repeat until objectives are met.

trsut me i've seen the scenarios. The tanks get knocked out by "enemy" helicopters, and the infantry or heliborne forces get hit by artillery.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
[video=youtube;yG9lOub4Dic]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG9lOub4Dic[/video]

ATGM got intercepted by Trophy

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
[video=youtube;XR3RBEv2lDk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR3RBEv2lDk#t=22[/video]

RPG intercepted.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Wow ATGM can understand even RPG also can be intercepted? This tank is invincible or what?

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
During one war game scenario I know about, a Colonel complained his tank battalion was wiped out fully by the oppostions AH-64 Apaches. He said that was unfair since the map was an open ground and he wanted tank-to-tank battles.

Who ever gave this role to this colonel wanted this Colonel to get a bad report .......... from his work. It a game.

Higher authority can give him air cover for this mission. But it simply didn't happen. See .....this Colonel is screwed !

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
People are just looking at the specifications of the various weapon systems. However the SMRT experience has shown that things breakdown if the people ignore maintenance.

I am not that confident about the PAP's capability to look after these weapons system. :o