• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Newcastle weigh up ambitious Remy offer

434841_heroa.jpg

Jul 28, 2014 20:55:00

EXCLUSIVE: The Magpies could make a move to take the QPR striker back on loan at St James's Park after the France international's transfer to Anfield surprisingly fell through
By William Joyce

Newcastle United are considering an ambitious move for Loic Remy after the collapse of the striker's move to Liverpool.

The France international had agreed an €10 million transfer to join the Anfield club before the deal fell through over the weekend.

Newcastle are unconcerned by reports that the deal was not completed because the attacker failed a medical and could move again for the 27-year-old, who spent last season on loan at St James's Park.

QPR boss Harry Redknapp has dismissed the suggestion that Remy's move to Liverpool collapsed because the Reds had doubts over the player's fitness.

"I just can't believe it," he told reporters on Monday. "I only know what I've seen and heard - I don't see how he failed a medical, he had a stringent medical here, one at [Olympique de] Marseille, one at Newcastle, one at France.

"It's not possible, you couldn't find a fitter lad than he is, there must be another reason. [Liverpool] must have changed their mind or gone in a different direction."

Newcastle have signed six players this summer in Daryl Janmaat, Remy Cabella, Siem de Jong, Jack Colback, Emmanuel Riviere and Ayoze Perez but the Magpies are eager to recruit another striker before the transfer window closes and could make a bid for Remy.

The Tyneside club had considered a bid to re-sign Andy Carroll from West Ham but an injury to the former Liverpool man ruled out a move.

Goal understands that Olympique Lyonnais striker Alexander Lacazette and Lorient forward Vincent Aboubakar are also being considered as potential options.

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Medical issues not behind Remy's failed Liverpool move, says Redknapp

426722_heroa.jpg

By Alex Young
Jul 28, 2014 18:43:00

The striker was closing in on a move to Anfield only for the club to pull the plug, with Brendan Rodgers vague on why, but the QPR boss insists there must be other reasons

Harry Redknapp has insisted the reasons behind Loic Remy's failed move to Liverpool cannot be for medical complications but is happy to have the striker stay at QPR.

Remy was expected to complete a €10 million move to Anfield this week, but Liverpool pulled the plug on the deal on Sunday with Brendan Rodgers vague as to the reasons behind that decision.

It is widely believed a problem was detected during Remy's medical, with Rodgers saying only that the issue has "happened before" but Redknapp refuses to believe the switch fell through due to any physical issues.

"I just can't believe it. I only know what I've seen and heard - I don't see how he failed a medical, he had a stringent medical here, one at [Olympique de] Marseille, one at Newcastle, one at France.

"It's not possible, you couldn't find a fitter lad than he is, there must be another reason. They must have changed their mind or gone in a different direction.

"It's disappointing for him, [but] from the club's point of view we've got a great striker. He's a good lad, good player [and a] good professional.

"Their loss is our gain. He's a striker capable of 20 goals in the Premier League, [and] that's we need now - for him to get 20 goals for QPR in the league."

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Mourinho: It feels like Drogba never left Chelsea

439270_heroa.jpg

Jul 28, 2014 14:34:00

The 36-year-old has returned to Stamford Bridge one a one-year deal after leaving in 2012 and the manager, who brought him to the club 10 years ago, is thrilled with his comeback

Jose Mourinho has hailed Didier Drogba's return to Chelsea and expects the striker to have a big impact this season.

The Cote d'Ivoire international penned a one-year deal last Friday following the expiry of his Galatasaray contract, after originally enjoying an eight-year spell at Stamford Bridge between 2004 and 2012.

Drogba hit 157 goals in 341 appearances during his first stint and is a firm fans' favourite, having scored a late equaliser followed by the winning spot-kick as Chelsea won the Champions League in his last match.

The 36-year-old joined Chelsea's squad on Sunday as they defeated Olimpija 2-1 in a pre-season friendly, but did not play a role in the match and Mourinho is thrilled to be able to call upon Drogba again.

"First of all when he came, it looks like he never left the club," Mourinho told reporters. "It was so normal, nothing new at all because he knows everybody and everybody knows him.

"He was ever present even when he wasn't here. Chelsea belonged to him, even in the last two years when he was away playing in a Galatasaray and Shanghai [Shenhua] shirt.

"So it looks like he just went for a short holiday and came back, so everything is normal. But yes, I think we need him. We need him as a player for our squad to be the way I like.

"I like a squad with different qualities, not just as football players but also in terms of personalities. I like to have players with different personalities. As a player and person, Didier is somebody we need to be strong."

Chelsea confirmed on Monday that Drogba will wear the No.15 shirt, the same as during his first spell, with Mohamed Salah taking No.17 after Eden Hazard opted to take the No.10 shirt for the new season.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Gunners seal the deal with Chambers

Arsenal have signed full-back Calum Chambers from Southampton for an undisclosed fee, the London club have announced.

452186766.jpg

Calum Chambers of Southampton celebrates the second goal during the pre season friendly match between EHC Hoensbroek

Tuesday 29th July 2014

Chambers, 19, continues the exodus of players from St Mary's after agreeing a "long-term" contract with the Gunners.

"Calum has a lot of the attributes that we look for in a young player. I'm sure he will do well with us," Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger told the club's official website.

Chambers, who can also play at centre-back, accumulated 22 appearances for Saints last season after making his Premier League debut on the opening day of the campaign.

"We are very pleased that Calum has agreed to join us," Wenger said.

"The way he adapted to the Premier League last season with Southampton at a young age shows that he has tremendous quality."

The Southampton academy product is the current captain of the England Under-19s and has been moved into defence after starting his career as a midfielder.

"I'm so happy to be signing for Arsenal," Chambers said.

"They are a team I have much admired for their playing style and a team who have been one of the top sides in Europe for many years.

"I'm looking forward to joining up with my new team-mates and beginning preparation for the season ahead.

"I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you to everyone at Southampton for everything they have done for me and for making this move possible."

Chambers' transfer fee is thought to be in the region of £16million and Wenger hopes he will provide competition in midfield and defence.

He will primarily act as right-back cover for France international Mathieu Debuchy, a recent arrival from Newcastle, while Carl Jenkinson is also an alternative in the position.

However, Arsenal are reportedly hoping to send Jenkinson out on a season-long loan with Southampton among his possible destinations.

The arrival of Chambers continues a reasonably busy summer in the transfer window at the Emirates Stadium with Debuchy, David Ospina and Alexis Sanchez having already signed.

It is a different story at St Mary's, however, where a startling player drain means Chambers is the fifth player to depart this summer and he could be followed out the door by Morgan Schneiderlin and Jay Rodriguez.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Everton add Besic to its ranks

Everton have completed the signing of Ferencvaros midfielder Muhamed Besic after the Bosnia and Herzegovina international finalised a five-year contract.

450680246.jpg

Gonzalo Higuain of Argentina and Muhamed Besic of Bosnia and Herzegovina battle for the ball during the 2014 FIFA World Cup

Tuesday 29th July 2014

The 21-year-old travelled to Thailand with the Toffees for their pre-season match against Leicester at the weekend after an agreement was reached with the Hungarian side.

Besic officially completed his move after the finer details of the paperwork were concluded.

"Muhamed is a young footballer who has developed massively in the last two seasons," manager Roberto Martinez told evertontv.

"He has been playing as a centre-half and as a defensive midfielder at an incredible level.

"With Bosnia and Herzegovina in the World Cup he showed that he is a really mature footballer, that he covers the ground really well, that he is very dynamic and technically very gifted.

"He is bringing us really good strength in an important part of the side."

Besic, who became his country's youngest senior international with a debut aged 18, played three times at the World Cup, with one of those appearances coming against eventual finalists Argentina.

Born in Germany, he began his professional career at Hamburg before transferring to Ferencvaros in two years ago.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Spurs interested in Saints duo

Morgan Schneiderlin and Jay Rodriguez are understood to be close to linking-up with former manager Mauricio Pochettino at Tottenham as Saint's summer sale continues.

Jay%20Rodriguez%20%28R%29%20of%20Southampton%20celebrates%20with%20teammate%20Rickie%20Lambert%20.jpg.jpg

Jay Rodriguez (R) of Southampton celebrates with t

Tuesday 29th July 2014

After achieving their best ever Barclays Premier League finish last season, the odds on Saints getting relegated this time around are shortening by the day.

Arsenal completed the signing of highly-rated right-back Calum Chambers on Monday afternoon, less than 24 hours after Dejan Lovren joined Liverpool in a £20million deal.

The Croatia international followed Rickie Lambert and Adam Lallana in moving to Anfield, while teenage left-back Luke Shaw recently departed for Manchester United.

Those transfers came in the wake of manager Pochettino and his staff leaving for Spurs, where two of his former Saints charges could be plying their trade next term.

Press Association Sport understands Tottenham have stepped up their interest in Schneiderlin and Rodriguez, with the pair edging closer to deals taking them to White Hart Lane.

Reports suggest Saints are asking £27million for midfielder Schneiderlin, who joined the club from Strasbourg in 2008 and played a key role in their rise from League One to the top-flight.

The 24-year-old represented France at this summer's World Cup and has attracted interest from Arsenal, although he is understood to favour a move to Spurs so he can work with Pochettino again.

The former Argentina international is also in for Rodriguez, despite the England forward currently being sidelined by an anterior cruciate ligament injury.

The 24-year-old has been at St Mary's since joining from hometown club Burnley two years ago and made his Three Lions debut in November's friendly against Chile.

Their exits would be another hammer blow to recently-appointed manager Ronald Koeman, who is also expected to sell disruptive club-record signing Dani Osvaldo in the coming weeks.

Work is afoot to bring in replacements but so far only two have arrived, with Dusan Tadic joining from FC Twente before Graziano Pelle arrived from Koeman's former club Feyenoord.

Southampton executive director Les Reed has come under fire for this summer's transfer activity and attempted to allay fans' fears after Chambers' departure to Arsenal.

"Our position remains unchanged in that we are determined to keep our best young players at the club, as is evidenced by the decision to award Harrison Reed a new long-term contract last week, adding to the list of committed young professionals like James Ward Prowse, Sam Gallagher, Jack Stephens, Jordan Turnbull, Matt Targett, Sam McQueen and others who have seen plenty of first-team activity recently," he said on the club's official website, www.saintsfc.co.uk.

"We have an abundance of talent in the academy coming through, and everybody at the club is continuing to work hard on bringing in quality new players as we build a team capable of taking us further forward in the coming seasons.

"It is important in the transfer window to remain calm, resilient and above all patient. We have targets, and we are working hard to get them across the line."

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Work permit for Enner Valencia sorted

Sam Allardyce has not had much good news of late but he will be delighted that Ecuador striker Enner Valencia has been granted a work permit to complete his move to West Ham.

451228886.jpg

Enner Valencia of Ecuador controls the ball against Lucas Digne of France during the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil

Wednesday 30th July 2014

With club-record signing Andy Carroll ruled out for four months following surgery on an ankle injury, Allardyce will be keen for Valencia to join up with his new team-mates sooner rather than later.

Carroll, who also missed a similar period at the start of last season, was sorely missed when sidelined until January but Allardyce has made moves in the transfer market to bolster his attacking options - even before the England international's latest setback.

Valencia's successful work-permit hearing means the 25-year-old now joins Carlton Cole, Modibo Maiga and fellow new recruit Mauro Zarate in the Hammers' strike-force, with the former Pachuca man looking to build on an impressive World Cup in which he scored all three of Ecuador's goals.

"It's exciting to be here in England and London," he told West Ham TV.

"I want to repay the club in my performances for what they are investing in me and I'm really looking forward to it. I really appreciate the welcome I've been given and I'm excited to be here.

"I've already watched and read a lot about the club to learn about it - I know the fans are really passionate and I'm really glad to have signed.

"The World Cup was a good tournament for me personally, I scored three times and for my first World Cup it was a good experience, but I hope my next one is better for me and the team.

"Of course, the World Cup gives me confidence to come to Europe and I want to take and advance with this opportunity that West Ham have given to me."

Valencia also scored in Ecuador's 2-2 World Cup warm-up draw against England and wants to be just as successful when he comes up against the same opposition on a weekly basis.

"For me, scoring against England, one of the big teams in the world, before the World Cup was important for me. Hopefully I can score again against those defenders," he added.

"The Premier League is the top league and I have followed it in Mexico. Obviously my countryman Antonio Valencia has played here for a long time so it's a big step for me to come here from Mexico and I hope I can be as successful as Antonio.

"I scored many goals as a striker. I'm fast, and I try to continue like that because I know the goals brought me to West Ham."

Despite completing the capture of Valencia, the Hammers are likely to return to the transfer market for another forward with question marks remaining over Carroll's long-term fitness.

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Tigers announce double signing

Hull City have swooped for Scotland's young player of the year Andrew Robertson from Dundee United and have also completed the signing of defender Harry Maguire from Sheffield United.

484594769.jpg

Harry Maguire of Sheffield United (5) reacts as Stephen Quinn of Hull City (29) scores their fourth

Wednesday 30th July 2014

Scottish international Robertson, 20, has cost the Tigers £2.85million while 21-year-old Maguire has joined for a £2.5million fee, according to the club's official website.

Both players have signed three-year deals, with the club having the option to extend their contracts by a further year.

Left-back Robertson was on a part-time contract with Queens Park in Scotland's third tier just over a year ago before Dundee United spotted his potential.

He arrived at Tannadice last summer and went on to make 44 appearances and be named the PFA Scotland young player of the year and be included in the team of the year.

Maguire, capped once by England under-21s, was Sheffield United's player of the year in each of the last three seasons during which he made 166 appearances.

As one left-back moved from Tannadice to Hull, another moved in the opposite direction as 21-year-old Conor Townsend joined the Scottish Premiership club on a season-long loan.

The Hull academy graduate has spent time on loan at Grimsby, Chesterfield and Carlisle in recent seasons.

Dundee United manager Jackie McNamara told the club's official website: "I was delighted to secure Conor so quickly. It was important to get him in early so he can settle in before the start of the competitive action.

"He is a really good defender who will do a job here. His athleticism and height will enhance our squad."

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Liverpool confirm Origi signing

Liverpool have completed the signing of Belgium striker Divock Origi but the 19-year-old will immediately be loaned back to French club Lille for next season.

Divock%20Origi%20of%20Belgium%20%28right%29%20celebrates%20scoring%20his%20team%27s%20first%20goal%20with%20Kevin%20De%20Bruyne%202.jpg

Divock Origi of Belgium (right) celebrates scoring

Wednesday 30th July 2014

The youngster impressed at the World Cup but had been on the Reds' radar long before that, haivng been tracked since he featured for his national team's under-15 side.

Origi travelled to join up with Liverpool's pre-season tour of America so the deal could be completed.

"I am very happy and delighted a club as big as Liverpool showed interest in me. I'm very excited," he told liverpoolfc.com.

"I know it's a club with a great history, great fans and a lot of great players.

"For me, Liverpool is one of the greatest clubs in the world and I'm very excited to be part of this great history.

"I am very proud to sign for the club. I'll give everything for the club, like I did when I was small and did for Lille.

"I'm hoping we can achieve great things together."

Origi is Liverpool's fifth signing of the summer, following Southampton trio Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert and Dejan Lovren, and Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Emre Can to Anfield.

And while he will not be part of Brendan Rodgers' plans for the coming campaign the striker cannot wait to be able to make an impression.

"The fact we have a young team and can grow is the most exciting part," he added.

"With the coach we have he's a great manager who can handle a young team.

"He's said a lot of good things about Liverpool and told me it's the perfect club for me.

"He was only positive and it was great to be able to talk with him about Liverpool.

"We also have experienced players. I think we can go very far - we have a lot of quality in the group.

"This year I'll have a chance to play at European level, so in the Europa League or Champions League.

"It's important for me to gain a place in the team, improve and be ready for the season after that."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

David Luiz is not a defender, claims Leboeuf

433514_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Jul 30, 2014 09:21:00

The ex-Chelsea ace has warned PSG boss Laurent Blanc against using the 27-year-old at the back, arguing that the centre-half "goes missing" far too often

Former France international Franck Leboeuf has questioned Paris Saint-Germain's decision to sign David Luiz as he feels the Brazilian has proven to be too unreliable to play in defence.

PSG paid Chelsea €50 million to lure the versatile centre-half to the Parc des Princes, but Leboeuf fears that the Ligue 1 champions will come to regret the transfer.

"I think that David Luiz has a lot of qualities. But he alternates good moments with spells where he goes missing entirely," Leboeuf told RMC.

"He is not a defender. The fact that Jose Mourinho put him in midfield at Chelsea is an indication that he wasn't convinced by his defensive ability.

"The problem became quite obvious at the World Cup. He was playing up front rather than in defence after just three minutes of play in the semi-final against Germany. That's the thing that scares me."

The 27-year-old started his professional career with Vitoria and also wore the Benfica jersey before joining Chelsea in January 2011.

He signed a five-year deal with Paris Saint-Germain earlier this summer.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Official: Everton sign Lukaku in €35m deal

375188_heroa.jpg

Jul 30, 2014 20:55:00

The Belgian has returned to Goodison Park permanently, where he scored 15 league goals on loan from Chelsea last term, after falling further down the Stamford Bridge pecking order

Everton have completed the signing of Romelu Lukaku from Chelsea on a five-year deal for a fee of €35 million.

The 21-year-old spent last season on loan at Goodison Park, scoring 15 Premier League goals, and has now made his move permanent after not featuring in Blues boss Jose Mourinho's plans for the new campaign.

Everton made a breakthrough in agreeing terms on a deal for the Belgium international - a fee that eclipses the previous €19m club-record signing of Marouane Fellaini.

Lukaku, who enjoyed an extended break after his World Cup exploits with Belgium, was thought to be keen to be reunited with Roberto Martinez, under whom he flourished last term.

And, upon completing his move, he told Everton's official website: "I am really excited about rejoining Everton. I had a fantastic experience last season and a great relationship with the manager, the chairman, the staff, the players and the fans.

"I can't wait to get started again and I'm looking forward to a successful season."

Manager Martinez added: "Welcoming Romelu Lukaku back to Everton on a permanent basis is the news that all Evertonians wanted to hear.

"We know that Romelu is still a young man and the potential that he has is quite unique, and we are desperate to see him enjoying his football and to watch him grow as footballer in the years to come.

"The arrival of Rom is more than just a signing, it's the fruition of a lot of hard work to get the player we wanted. This is a big moment for Everton's history and the perfect way of getting the squad ready for the start of the season."

Chelsea have already moved to overhaul a frontline that misfired last season, with Diego Costa joining from Atletico Madrid and club legend Didier Drogba returning on a one-year deal.

439961.jpg

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Vanishing spray to be used in Premier League

439997_heroa.jpg

By Alex Young
Jul 30, 2014 18:35:00

The foam, which proved popular at the World Cup, has already been confirmed for the Champions League and Europa League and has now been approved for the new season

The Premier League have announced the introduction of vanishing spray from the start of the new season on August 16.

The foam, which proved popular at the World Cup, has already been adopted by the Champions League, Europa League, La Liga, Serie A and Ligue 1 and is reportedly being considered by the Bundesliga.

The spray, which has been used in South American league for years, consists mainly of water and butane and helps referees prevent players encroaching during free-kick routines before evaporating inside a minute.

"At the Premier League we are open to developments that enhance the competition and it was clear from watching the 2014 World Cup in Brazil that Vanishing Spray benefitted referees, players, and all of those who watched the matches," chief executive Richard Scudamore said.

"Having witnessed that, and following consultation with our clubs and the PGMOL [Professional Game Match Officials Limited], we have decided to introduce it in the Barclays Premier League and look forward to having it in place for the 2014-15 season."

PGMOL general manager, Mike Riley, added: "As an assessor at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil I saw first-hand the benefits of Vanishing Spray for referees, and for the game as a whole.

"The Select Group referees are looking forward to using it during Barclays Premier League matches next season."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Eden Hazard dismisses PSG rumours, saying: 'I want to stay at Chelsea and win titles'

Belgium international had been a summer target for Paris Saint-Germain, but wants to win silverware with Chelsea

eden_hazard-459966.jpg

Committed: Eden Hazard wants to win silverware with Chelsea Photo: ACTION IMAGES

By Matt Law
1:38PM BST 30 Jul 2014

Eden Hazard insists he is returning to Chelsea to win trophies.

Forward Hazard meets up with the rest of the Chelsea squad today in Holland to start pre-season training.

The Belgium international had been a summer target for Paris Saint-Germain, but wants to win silverware with the Blues.

Hazard was named Chelsea Player of the Year last season, but the club did not win a trophy. The 23-year-old claims he would give up individual success for team silverware.

"Today I start training again," said Hazard. "There are no transfer stories to tell. I stay at Chelsea. I feel good at his club and want to win titles.

"Last season we've won nothing. If I'd scored less and would give less assists and we win the title, I would be very happy. It's my goal to win titles."

Hazard was disappointing in the World Cup for Belgium this summer and has accepted criticism in his homeland.

"The criticism of my World Cup performances was justified," Hazard. "I tried my best, but it didn't turn out like I'd hoped. In the Euros, I will try to shine."

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Louis Van Gaal's 'spy cameras' track Manchester United stars' every move in training, reveals Jonny Evans

These are changing times at Old Trafford and defender highlights manager's attention to detail with every player movement in training now under video scrutiny

louis-vangaal2_2992954b.jpg

Adjustment: Louis van Gaal has warned it could take up to three months for his players to become fully comfortable with his methods Photo: ACTION IMAGES

By Mark Ogden, Northern Football Correspondent, in Detroit
10:30PM BST 31 Jul 2014

Jonny Evans has revealed the full extent of Louis van Gaal’s attention to detail at Manchester United, claiming the new manager has adopted a Big Brother approach to training involving camera surveillance of every movement on the pitch.

Van Gaal, who officially began work as United manager two weeks ago, is attempting to accelerate the team’s adjustment to a 3-4-1-2 formation during the pre-season tour of the United States, which continues against Real Madrid in front of a 109,000 crowd in Ann Arbor, Michigan, on Saturday.

The former Holland coach has also introduced changes behind the scenes, from training times to the squad’s dining arrangements and the overhauling of pitches at the club’s Carrington base.

But with United ploughing around £3 million into Van Gaal’s planned improvements at Carrington, centre-half Evans admits the biggest surprise has been the cameras that have been positioned alongside the training pitches.

“I think it is a lot more detailed at the training ground now,” he said. “They have spent thousands on it and a few of the lads have seen HD cameras around the pitch. We have this camera system where he [Van Gaal] can watch us on the pitch. I think a lot of teams use it, but we are looking into it in quite a lot of detail.

“He is saying things like, ‘You should be five yards to the right’ after watching the footage and we are able to see things that are happening live on the pitch. We went through a video recently and I was 10 yards out of position. There are things you are doing on the pitch, and the whole team will be feeling the same, and you are thinking, ‘Am I in the right position?’ Then he will show you in the video and you will know”

Van Gaal has warned it could take up to three months for his players to become fully comfortable with his methods having introduced new training drills and dispensed with the back four formation that United have used for more than two decades.

“He said the same to us, ‘You will find it hard’,” Evans said. “He said we would find it hard mentally because he wants us all to push ourselves to the limit. That is what it feels like. We are all going to bed and sleeping well anyway. But that is the standard he has set for us. There are a lot of fine details that we all have to stick to, but I think what it does is give everyone a comfort zone because we all know that is the standard.

“It is everything from the clothes you wear to the time you have a meal and everyone eating together.”

At 26, Evans, the Northern Ireland international, admits he must emerge as a senior figure under Van Gaal having been regarded as a young prospect alongside the likes of Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand. With the two long-serving defenders leaving United this summer, Evans faces the dual challenge of adapting to a new system and proving his worth to the new manager, but he insists he is ready to grasp his chance.

“If you look at Nemanja, he didn’t join us until he was 25 or 26,” Evans said. “That’s the same age as me now, but for the last six or seven years it has not been a case of not wanting to step up. The aim is always to be the best that you can. I have benefited from playing with Rio and Nemanja, and Wes Brown before that. I have learnt a lot throughout my career and it is a big time in my career now.

“But as for the new system, people get obsessed with formations, over whether it is a three or a five, but the philosophy stays the same when you are playing out from the back. A lot of teams have three at the back with two full-backs going high and that’s how they play out. When they defend, an extra midfielder will come deeper and play in front of a back four.

“It is just about fine tuning and once you catch on to things, you understand it. It is different, but the good thing is the manager has taken time with us and not just thrown us into a system.”

Twelve months ago, United prepared for a new campaign following another change of manager, with David Moyes replacing Sir Alex Ferguson, and the optimism at that time was similar to that being expressed under Van Gaal.

Moyes was unable to sustain the feel-good factor, with United enduring a nightmare campaign, and Evans admits a determination to right the wrongs of last season.

“Louis van Gaal’s record does demand respect but David Moyes got a lot of respect from the lads and we treated him exactly the same way as when Louis van Gaal came in. I’m not sure why it went wrong. But people are now saying Manchester United can’t win the league, so that is a big motivation to us.”

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Official: Tottenham sign Eric Dier

440459_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Jul 31, 2014 20:51:00

The 20-year-old will move to the White Hart Lane club once he has completed a medical, with Spurs having agreed a €5 million fee with Sporting Lisbon for the defender

Tottenham have agreed a deal with Sporting Lisbon for the transfer of centre-back Eric Dier, subject to a medical.

Goal revealed on Thursday that Spurs were on the brink of completing a £4 million move for the Englishman, which is believed to be a five-year deal.

And Spurs confirmed the deal on Thursday evening, posting a message on their official Twitter account.

Dier has represented England at Under-19, Under-20 and Under-21 level and made 15 appearances for Sporting last season.

Born in Cheltenham, Dier has spent his entire career at Sporting, but enjoyed a short loan stay at Everton's academy in 2011.

He will compete with Michael Dawson, Younes Kaboul, Jan Vertonghen and Zeki Fryers for a spot in Mauricio Pochettino's defence this season.

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Manchester United must reach Champions League within two seasons of start of Adidas deal or face £23m penalty

Details of £75m-a-year Adidas deal highlight changing nature of United's sponsorship agreements, with 10-year tie-up linked to performance on pitch

manchester_united_2992466b.jpg

Performance pay: Manchester United's new kit deal tied in with form Photo: GETTY IMAGES

By Mark Ogden
2:44PM BST 31 Jul 2014

Manchester United must return to the Champions League before the end of the 2016-17 season or face the prospect of a 30 per cent reduction in their £75 million-a-year kit deal with Adidas.

United, who announced the world's biggest kit manufacturing agreement with the German sportswear giants earlier this month, disclosed details of their deal with Adidas within the prospectus for the proposed sale of eight million shares on the New York Stock Exchange.

United's owners, the Glazer family, are expected to raise approximately £80m from the share sale, which will not affect the ownership or day-to-day running of the club.

Details of the Adidas deal highlight, however, the changing nature of United's sponsorship agreements, with the 10-year tie-up linked to performance on the pitch unlike previous partnership deals.

United will see the £75m-a-year payment drop to £52.5m if they fail to qualify for the Champions League for two successive seasons.

But although United will not compete in Europe during the 2014-15 campaign, the penalty clause only applies from the start of the Adidas deal from the beginning of the 2015-16 season, so this season's absence of Champions League football will not be taken into account.

Also within the Adidas deal is a clause which states the company can reduce by half their payments to United for every season they spend outside the Premier League should they be relegated.

United stand to gain a £4m bonus, however, on any occasion that they win the Premier League, FA Cup or Champions League.

Potential investors have been warned within the prospectus that the competitive nature of sport could affect United's ability to achieve success.

"Our success and many achievements over the last 20 years does not necessarily mean that we will continue to be successful in the future, whether as a result of changes in player personnel, coaching staff or otherwise," United said in the share prospectus.

"A downturn in the performance of our first team could adversely affect our ability to attract and retain coaches and players."

United face Real Madrid in Ann Arbor, Michigan, on Saturday in the fourth game of the club's pre-season tour of the United States. The fixture is a 109,000 sell-out.

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew 'could be sacked in two months', says agent of Hatem Ben Arfa

Agent of French midfielder accuses manager of trying to force player to leave this summer

alan-pardew_2992423b.jpg

Standing his ground: Alan Pardew has lost faith in Hatem Ben Arfa Photo: GETTY IMAGES

By Luke Edwards
2:09PM BST 31 Jul 2014

Hatem Ben Arfa's agent has predicted Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew could be sacked in "two months" as he accused the club of harassing the forward in a bid to force him to leave this summer.

Ben Arfa has been made to train with the reserves by Pardew and has not played in any of their pre-season games as the relationship between the pair has been ruined by a series of clashes last season.

The club have also fined the player after they claimed he returned to pre-season training overweight and are keen to sell him before the close of the transfer window.

But Ben Arfa, who remains extremely popular with the club's supporters, is refusing to leave and appears determined to stay on Tyneside until his contract expires at the end of the season.

"Hatem doesn't have to leave," said his agent Michel Ouazine. "He can go on a free after his contract is over - six months, or a year, this is not a problem.

"Who knows how long Pardew will be at Newcastle. In two months, he may not be here. Hatem love this club, he is idolised by fans. Hatem remain professional and is working hard."

Among the claims made by Ben Arfa's team of advisors is that the fine imposed on him for returning to training 1.5kg overweight is unfair as the extra weight was due to extra muscle rather than excess fat.

They also suggest the fact the club did not pay his rent for three months, but still took the money out of his wages as normal, is a sign they are trying to force him to accept his Newcastle career is over. The overdue rent has since been paid by Newcastle.

Ben Arfa was also fined for giving an interview to The Daily Telegraph without the permission of the club's media department earlier this year, in which he said he did not want to leave Newcastle, despite falling out with Pardew.

"We don't know what the problem is. Pardew in the past has said Hatem was extraordinary," said Quazine in an interview with So Foot.com.

"Hatem has done everything for Newcastle, every effort has been made ​​to discuss the problem. We are in a situation where there doesn't seem to be a solution.

"He is simply doing his job: he trains well, he enjoys training with the reserves where he has a great coach in Peter Beardsley."

On the fine, Quazine added: "It's unfair and humiliating. We will challenge the fine. We asked Newcastle to give us the player's physical records.

"Hatem went on vacation with a personal trainer, he has worked to prepare for this season. That 1.5 kg? Yes, it is a pound of muscle and 500 grams of fat. He lost 2 per cent body fat. We therefore challenge the fine."

Ben Arfa has been linked with a move to AC Milan and Galatasary in recent days, but it is understood neither have made a firm bid for the 27 year-old.

Newcastle are still trying to sign another striker before the close of the transfer window, but are making little progress in their attempt to sign Alexandre Lacazette. It has even been suggested in France that he will sign a new contract to remain at Lyon, although Newcastle have been told the player would rather join them.

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Ravel Morrison charged with two counts of common assault against ex-girlfriend and mother

Troubled West Ham striker Ravel Morrison has been charged by police for assaulting two women outside a Manchester bar

ravel-morrison_2991979b.jpg

Charged: Ravel Morrison's troubled career hit another low Photo: GETTY IM AGES

By John Percy
12:30PM BST 31 Jul 2014

Ravel Morrison’s troubled career has suffered further turmoil after he was remanded in custody until Thursday on charges of common assault.

Morrison, the West Ham forward, was arrested on Wednesday and has been accused of assaulting former girlfriend Rhea Mansoor, 19, and her mother Parveen Mansoor, 39, outside a Manchester bar.

The 21-year-old was refused bail at Manchester and Salford Magistrates’ Court and West Ham are considering their next move after being kept fully informed of the situation by Morrison’s legal team.

Morrison will spend the next six days in jail until he appears before the magistrates again on Thursday.

West Ham will conduct their own internal investigation when the court reaches a verdict on how to proceed with the controversial England Under-21 international.

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: “At about 3.20am on Sunday July 27, 2014, police were called to an address on Alexandra Road, Peel Green, Salford, following reports a 19-year-old woman and a 39-year-old woman had been assaulted.

“Officers attended and established the young woman had also been assaulted outside a bar in Manchester city centre earlier that evening and a 21-year-old man was subsequently arrested at a later date.

“Ravel Morrison, of Urmston, is charged with two common assaults.”

The midfielder was widely tipped to become a Manchester United regular as one of the club’s best home-grown prospects in their youth teams.

He was sold by former manager Sir Alex Ferguson to West Ham for £650,000 in January 2012. The player’s career has been plagued with controversies since.

Three years ago he pleaded guilty to two counts of witness intimidation and was sentenced to a 12-month referral order.

Since moving to West Ham, Morrison has endured a fractious relationship with manager Sam Allardyce and was sent out to Queens Park Rangers on loan last season.

Allardyce had admitted earlier this week that he was prepared to give Morrison another chance to stake a claim.

He said: “We thought we’d brought Ravel to the forefront of his abilities this time last season. He had a fantastic pre-season and started the season very well. That drifted away a bit and he ended up at QPR, helping them get promoted. If he gets back to knuckling down, and getting used to the discipline side of the game, then his talents are outstanding.”

However, Thursday’s events leave the youngster facing an uncertain future.

The manager met West Ham managing director Karren Brady on Thursday to discuss the club’s options and it is possible the player might be fined.

Meanwhile, West Ham confirmed on Thursday night the season-long loan signing of Arsenal right-back Carl Jenkinson. The 22-year-old England defender's chances of first-team football with Arsenal have been hampered by the signing of Mathieu Debuchy from Newcastle United.

Allardyce had already bolstered his squad with the signing of Ecuador striker Enner Valencia along with fellow forward Mauro Zarate to cover for the loss for four months of England international Andy Carroll, who has had surgery on an ankle he injured in a friendly last month.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tottenham weigh up Musacchio bid

440272_heroa.jpg

Aug 1, 2014 18:08:00

New Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino is preparing to swoop for the 23-year-old centre-back, who starred for Villarreal last season and is seen as an ideal partner for Jan Vertonghen
By David Craddock

Tottenham are considering an offer for Villarreal defender Mateo Musacchio.

New boss Mauricio Pochettino has made bolstering his defence a priority this summer, and has already brought in 20-year-old centre-back Eric Dier in a €6 million deal.

Now the Argentine boss – who knows La Liga well having spent eight years in Spain as player and manager of Espanyol – is eyeing a move for compatriot Musacchio, who is valued at around €19 million by his club.

The 23-year-old enjoyed an excellent campaign with El Submarino Amarillo last term and was voted the club’s Player of the Season, though surprisingly missed out on a place in Alejandro Sabella’s World Cup squad.

But, any deal could be complicated by ownership issues, with former club River Plate still holding a percentage of the defender’s rights.

Musacchio has impressed Tottenham scouts and is seen as an ideal foil for Jan Vertonghen, with the club keen to sit down with the Belgian to discuss a new contract.

Spurs will need to offload some of their current batch of defenders to make way for Musacchio, though, and Michael Dawson has already been told he can leave the club this summer.

Hull City and QPR have both targeted the veteran centre-back, who has failed to convince Pochettino he is suited to the Argentine’s style of play.

440703.jpg