• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

West Ham hold preliminary Bielsa talks

marcelo-bielsa-nantes-marseille-ligue-1-17042015_153ht1o1fepxr1xrnt4viu761r.jpg

May 29, 2015 16:02:00

The Hammers have lined up the former Athletic Bilbao boss as one of the primary candidates to replace Sam Allardyce, but the Argentinian could stay with Marseille
By Graeme Bailey

West Ham have held preliminary discussions with Marcelo Bielsa about becoming their new manager.

The east London club announced that Sam Allardyce would not be signing a new contract to remain at Upton Park last Sunday, just moments after they had completed their final match of the season against Newcastle.

Goal revealed last month that West Ham were already making plans for life after Allardyce and had identified Bielsa as a prime candidate to succeed the former Bolton boss, with ambitious A-list targets Carlo Ancelotti, Jurgen Klopp and Rafa Benitez out of reach.

Talks were understood to have been positive with the West Ham board enthused by the 59-year-old’s philosophy, although several members of the club’s hierarchy harbour concerns over the Marseille manager’s lack of English.

The former Argentina national team boss guided Marseille to fourth place in Ligue 1 last season and only narrowly missed out on Champions League qualification.

Sources in France expect Bielsa to commit to another year at the Stade Veledrome but the West Ham project is understood to appeal to a man who has spent the majority of his European management career in Spain.

Despite having fulfilled his remit of establishing the Hammers as a Premier League club following relegation to the Championship in 2011, Allardyce was deemed unsuitable to take the club forward as they prepare for life in their new home at the Olympic Stadium the season after next.

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Martinez keen to recruit quickly

29 May 2015

852551header.jpg

Roberto Martinez hopes to unveil new faces at Goodison Park as soon as possible to give Everton plenty of time to prepare for the new Premier League season.

Everton endured a difficult campaign as they tried to juggle life in the UEFA Europa League and domestic football, a balancing act they failed to master as they went out of Europe and could only finish 11th in the league.

Martinez has now set his sights on strengthening his squad quickly to ensure he has a strong selection available to him when pre-season begins.

"[Now] it becomes about recruitment and that's the priority," he told the club's official website.

"I think we are very clear in what we need. We have found the players that we want and it becomes a process about trying to make those targets a possibility and make them Everton players.

"We are very excited about the future. I think the work from this season has made us stronger and more mature.

"If anything, going through the difficulties of this campaign has made us hungrier for success. We want to give our fans something they can be extremely satisfied with and clearly this summer the recruitment process is vital.

"We will try to do it as quickly as we can with some of our targets. Others we will try to bring in late because of the type of player that we need to bring in."

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Atsu wings in for Bournemouth campaign

29 May 2015

852689header.jpg

Bournemouth have agreed the season-long loan signing of Chelsea's Ghanaian winger Christian Atsu.

The Championship winners have been busy in the transfer market since their promotion to the top flight, signing goalkeepers Adam Federici and Artur Boruc as well as forward Josh King from Blackburn Rovers.

Atsu becomes the latest to arrive at Goldsands, with the 23-year-old having struggled to break into the first-team picture at Stamford Bridge.

Loans at Vitesse and Everton followed his move from Porto in 2013, with Atsu having featured in the UEFA Europa League for Roberto Martinez's side.

Atsu also represented Ghana for a second Africa Cup of Nations campaign this year and will move to the English south coast pending Premier League approval.

The winger will be ineligible to play against his parent club in the top flight next term.

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barkley break to benefit Everton - Jones

30 May 2015

853035header.jpg

Everton expect to see the best of Ross Barkley next term after the midfielder has enjoyed a welcome break.

Barkley has spent the last two off-seasons on international duty, with England Under-20s two years ago and his country's senior squad at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

However, the 21-year-old has been left out of England's squad for the Under-21 European Championship and will get the chance to rest up after internationals against Republic of Ireland and Slovenia on June 7 and 14.

Everton assistant manager Graeme Jones told the club's official website: "What Ross needs to is get a break from football.

"He's having a week off now, then he’ll go away with England - which will help keep his levels of fitness up - and then have a complete switch-off.

"Then I think he will reflect on everything and will come back fresher, hungrier and more aware. So we are excited to see his progress next season.

"After a while, your freshness leaves you and you can become a little bit stale, and Ross gives everything he has got every single day.

"He loves football and has got the right attitude and right aptitude for the job. It's just that they [players] are human beings - they are not machines or robots - and like everybody they need a break in order to get stronger."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Walcott: This is the best Arsenal squad for 10 years

1431682_heroa.jpg

By Alex Young
May 29, 2015 22:21:00

The winger says the current side is the best he has been involved with ahead of Saturday's FA Cup final

Theo Walcott believes the current Arsenal squad is the best he has been part of in his 10 years at the club.

The Gunners are gearing up for their second consecutive FA Cup final, looking to become only the second team to retain the FA Cup twice, when they face Aston Villa at Wembley Stadium on Saturday.

Arsenal suffered their worst ever start to a Premier League season earlier this term, but a remarkable upturn in form since the turn of the year saw them claim third spot, and Walcott feels a title challenge is a must.

"Overall finishing third is a step up from last year, but as I've said before we need to be really challenging for that Premier League," Walcott told talkSPORT.

"Personally, I've been there 10 years and this is the best squad I've actually been involved in."

Walcott only recently returned from a long injury-induced absence and scored a hat-trick on the final day of the league season to give Arsene Wenger a timely reminder of his talents ahead of the Wembley showdown.

He added: "I've done my part. I just want to play and being given the opportunity at the weekend and I played pretty well."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Randolph agrees West Ham switch

30 May 2015

853141header.jpg

West Ham have announced the signing of Darren Randolph to provide competition for first-choice goalkeeper Adrian next season.

The 28-year-old will move to Upton Park on July 1 after this his current deal with Championship outfit Birmingham City comes to an end.

Randolph - who made 45 league appearances for Gary Rowett's side last season - is West Ham's first signing since the departure of Sam Allardyce following the last game of the Premier League campaign.

"My initial reaction to joining West Ham is excitement," the Republic of Ireland international told the club's official website.

"It was a tough decision turning down Birmingham's offer of a new contract because of the second part of the season we had and the team we had built.

"But I felt like I couldn't turn down the chance of joining a club like West Ham. Everybody wants to try and get to the top of their profession and I'm no different."

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rio Ferdinand retires from football

rio-ferdinand-qpr_1gkl8wu0rda5u158xyguym1rxs.jpg

May 30, 2015 13:50:00

The 36-year-old has called time on his 19-year career, having won six Premier League titles and the Champions League with Manchester United

Rio Ferdinand has announced his retirement from professional football.

The 36-year-old has called time on his 19-year career after being released by QPR earlier this week.

Ferdinand won six Premier League titles, the Champions League, the FA Cup and three League Cup trophies in 12 seasons with Manchester United. He was also capped 81 times by England.

“After 18 years as a professional footballer, I now feel it's the right time for me to retire from the game that I love," Ferdinand said in a statement to BT Sport.

“As a 12-year-old boy, kicking around a football on the Friary Estate in Peckham, I never dreamt that I would play for my boyhood club West Ham, captain Leeds United, win the Champions League with Manchester United, or re-join my first manager Harry Redknapp at Queens Park Rangers.

“I will always regard the 81 times that I played for England, with immense pride. These are all treasured memories that will last a lifetime.

“Starting a career, every young man needs mentors. I found mine in Dave Goodwin, the district manager at Blackheath, and Tony Carr, the youth team manager at West Ham. They installed in me personality traits that lasted throughout my career. I will always be grateful to them.

226683_heroa.jpg

“I'd like to thank Chris Ramsey, Harry Redknapp, David O'Leary and David Moyes who managed me at various times in my career, all the backroom staff who looked after me over the years, and the players that I played with. I would also like to thank the team who managed me off the pitch, Jamie Moralee and everybody at New Era.

“Winning trophies over my 13 years at Manchester United allowed me to achieve everything that I desired in football. From a young child to today, that was all I cared about.

“None of that would have been possible, without the genius of one man, Sir Alex Ferguson. His greatest accomplishment in my eyes will always be how he developed us as men, not just as footballers. He will in my opinion, always be the greatest manager in British football history.

“I'd also like to thank and pay tribute to my wife Rebecca and my family, including my mother and father, for their sacrifices, their encouragement and their advice throughout my career.

“And finally, I'd like to thank all the fans from all the clubs - for without them professional football would not exist. I will miss each and every one of you on my Saturday afternoons.”

Ferdinand's former club Manchester United honoured the defender with their own personal tribute on Saturday.

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hazard: I was like a kid with a toy lifting Premier League title

eden-hazard_r9i04o8anmjj1kklvntpnoqqa.jpg

By Greg Lea
May 30, 2015 12:42:00

The Belgian playmaker enjoyed a sensational season on both a club and individual level and admitted that picking up the trophy made him feel 20 years younger

Chelsea's Eden Hazard has admitted that getting his hands on the Premier League trophy made him feel like a child with a new toy.

The Blues sealed the title with a 1-0 win over Crystal Palace earlier this month, finishing eight points clear of second-placed Manchester City.

Hazard was named Player of the Year by Chelsea, the PFA, and the Football Writers' Association after a superb season, but the Premier League title was the award that gave the Belgian the most satisfaction.

"It was a good week," he told Chelsea TV ahead of the Blues' friendly with the Thailand All-Stars in Bangkok on Saturday.

"We got the trophy at Stamford Bridge, and now we're in Bangkok to see the fans.

"[Picking up the trophy] I was like a kid when you get a new toy. I came here to win this trophy, we did it this season and it's been a great season for all of us.

"When you play the last game at Stamford Bridge and you know you're already champions, it's easy, and we wanted to finish for the fans with a victory.

"It's the end of a fantastic season for me. I got a lot of trophies, it's fantastic, I cannot describe. I just want to say 'thank you' [to my team-mates] because without them I am nothing. I cannot play alone. They give everything on the pitch.’

Hazard is looking forward to playing in front of some of Chelsea's overseas fans in Thailand and Australia, where Jose Mourinho's men will take on Sydney FC on Tuesday.

And the 24-year-old insisted he would not be taking the game in Bangkok lightly in spite of the fierce heat.

"The flight was long, but we know it's for a good reason," he said. "We enjoy it here with the fans and finish the season in a good way.

"When you are outside on the pitch you give everything, it doesn't matter the weather. We still have to give everything like we did the last game. The pitch is not bad, and we have to enjoy."

Hazard and many of his team-mates will take part in international fixtures next month before jetting off for their summer holidays.

The Belgian, though, is already focusing on retaining the Premier League title next term.

Asked if he thought that would be possible, Hazard simply replied "I hope. Why not?"

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mike Ashley abandoned me, says Gutierrez

jonasgutierrez-cropped_1465lnq0auyto1bxyzow2bc7zv.jpg

By Michael Huguenin
May 30, 2015 10:22:00

The Argentine was let go by Newcastle after his contract came to an end and has criticised the way the Magpies' owner handled his cancer treatment earlier in the season

Outgoing Newcastle United player Jonas Gutierrez slammed club owner Mike Ashley on Friday after being released by the Premier League outfit.

Gutierrez, who successfully returned to the pitch in March having undergone treatment for testicular cancer earlier in the season, implied Ashley had abandoned him since he had surgery in October 2013.

Newcastle ended a seven-year association with Gutierrez on Friday, releasing the 31-year-old versatile defender and midfielder after 187 league matches for the club.

"Two things I learn from my illness," Gutierrez wrote on Twitter.

"How you can support a player (Newcastle fans) and how you leave a player alone (Newcastle owner)."

The former Argentina international came off the bench against Manchester United to rapturous applause on March 4, having missed the first 26 matches of the 2014-15 season due to his cancer treatment.

Gutierrez's first start of the season came three games later in the derby against Sunderland, and he started the last five matches of the campaign - setting up a goal and scoring another in Newcastle's 2-0 win over West Ham on the final day of the season, a victory that secured the club's Premier League status.

The fan favourite expressed mutual admiration for Newcastle's famously passionate supporters on Facebook: "Thanks to all football fans and Newcastle fans for supporting me and trust in me. This is a way to demonstrate I always hear you.

"You are very important to me, football wouldn't be the same without you. All my effort and affection is for you!"

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

'He's better than the rest' - Van Basten backs Depay to shine at Manchester United

1369162_heroa.jpg

May 29, 2015 23:24:00

The forward has agreed to join Manchester United this summer and has been backed to shine by a Netherlands legend

Marco van Basten is confident "special talent" Memphis Depay will shine in the Premier League with Manchester United.

The 21-year-old finished as the Eredivisie's top goalscorer and was named the best youngster in the Netherlands after scoring 22 goals in 2014-15.

United boss Louis van Gaal has issued words of caution and Van Basten believes the step up from PSV to the 13-time Premier League champions may take time but is confident Depay can make the grade.

"No. He's a special talent," he told Sky Sports. "He's better than the rest. He's a very good player. He's a young star who is strong and has his own ideas, which I think is a good thing for a player.

"He's also a guy who still wants to learn and he's in good hands with Louis van Gaal who has already worked with him at the World Cup.

"He now has to demonstrate that he can also play well in England. He will show that to you. I don't know whether it will be quick and come in the first year but he has the skills to succeed in England.

"He's a good player too and a clever player. He's not physically strong but he's so clever that he can find the solution in other ways."

Van Basten also praised Van Gaal and says his previous success at other clubs shows that he can win silverware at Old Trafford.

He added: "He's a good manager and a good coach. He's also very experienced. The results in the past have already demonstrated that he is able to create a winning team."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool earn Europa League group stage berth thanks to Arsenal's FA Cup victory

1307632_heroa.jpg

By Sam Lee & Harry Sherlock
May 30, 2015 19:44:00

The Reds had qualified for a place in the third qualifying round of the European competition after finishing sixth in the Premier League, but have now been bumped up

Liverpool will go straight into the Europa League group stages as a result of Arsenal's 4-0 FA Cup victory over Aston Villa.

Had Tim Sherwood's side triumphed at Wembley they would have earned a place in the third qualifying round of the Europa League, but instead that slot will go to Southampton, who finished seventh in the Premier League last season.

It also means Liverpool will be bumped up a place into the group stages, rather than the third qualifying round for which they had looked destined thanks to their sixth-placed league finish.

The Reds could face the likes of Schalke, Borussia Dortmund, Villarreal, Athletic Bilbao, Marseille and Fenerbahce when the draw is made on August 28.

Other possible opponents are: Sparta Prague, Standard Liege, Ludogorets, Legia Warsaw, Dinamo Zagreb, Lokomotiv Moscow, Vitoria, Saint-Etienne, Augsburg, Groningen.

Southampton's potential foes are: Go Ahead Eagles, Dinamo Minsk, Jablonec, Slovan Bratislava, AIK Solna, Neftci PFK, MSK Zilina, Aktobe, AEK Larnaca, Crvena zvezda, Hapoel Kiryat Shmona, FC Shakhtyor Soligorsk, Dinamo Tbilisi, ASA Targu Mures.

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Leicester City players apologise over racist orgy in Thailand

• Three players – including manager’s son – filmed in orgy
• ‘We will take action, if necessary, once the full facts have been established’

Leicester-Citys-King-Powe-007.jpg

Leicester City's King Power Stadium is named after the company owned by their Thai owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha. Photograph: Carl Court/AFP/Getty Images

Guardian sport
Sunday 31 May 2015 20.53 BST Last modified on Sunday 31 May 2015 22.09 BST

Three Leicester City players have apologised after they were filmed in an orgy with a Thai woman who was racially abused. The club has said it is “deeply concerned” and has launched an investigation after calls for the trio to be sacked.

The footage, obtained by the Sunday Mirror, allegedly shows the 22-year-old defender James Pearson, the son of the club’s manager, Nigel, the striker Tom Hopper, 21, and the goalkeeper Adam Smith, 22, naked in a Thai hotel room as women are filmed engaged in sex acts. In a clip of the video posted on the newspaper’s website, one of the men appears to be heard calling one of the women a “slit eye” in a racist slur.

Later one calls one of the women “minging – an absolute one out of 10” as his friends laugh. Other offensive comments are made to the women as the players appear to laugh and egg each other on. It is alleged the trio shared the explicit video with friends back in the UK.

In a statement the club said the players “would like to convey their sincere apologies for their behaviour – to the women involved in the incident, to the club and its owners, to the club’s fans and to their families”.

Earlier Leicester City had released a statement saying: “We take the conduct of our players at every level extremely seriously and will take appropriate action, if necessary, once the full facts of the situation have been established. Pending the outcome of an internal investigation the club will make no further comment.”

The club, currently touring Thailand celebrating their successful battle against relegation from the Premier League, is owned by the Thai billionaires Vichai and Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha and has been in “strategic, international partnership” with the Tourism Authority of Thailand for three years. The tourism authority’s Amazing Thailand branding is on the back of team shirts.

Commenting on the partnership last year, Susan Whelan, Leicester City’s chief executive, said: “We’re absolutely thrilled to continue to work with the Tourism Authority of Thailand during the 2014-15 season. Their support in the last two years has been vital in helping us promote Leicester City to a Thai audience and in reaching our goals closer to home.”

Thawatchai Arunyik, governor of Tourism Authority of Thailand, said: “We are very proud to be working with Leicester City and its supporters, who have embraced the club’s increasingly strong association with Thailand and given the nation a Premier League football club its people can take to their hearts.”

On Sunday fans told of their disgust on the fans forum FoxesTalk, where one posted: “Get rid of them, never getting near our squad anyway.”

Another wrote: “Disgusting and inexcusable behaviour, exactly the sort of stuff that gives British tourists a bad name when we go abroad. It’s especially disappointing given the efforts the owners are going to to ensure we’re a popular club in Thailand.”

A Kick It Out spokesman said: “We are aware of the allegations and have contacted Leicester City Football Club. We will await their response before commenting further.”

Nigel Pearson has campaigned against racism and is a patron of the charity Show Racism the Red Card. A number of Thai people told of their outrage in comments posted on the Leicester City Facebook page.

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool owners set for Rodgers talks

1431932_heroa.jpg

Jun 1, 2015 17:00:00

The Northern Irishman will meet with chairman Tom Werner and Fenway Sports Group executive Mike Gordon, though club sources insist no change of manager is expected

The Liverpool hierarchy are set to hold talks with Brendan Rodgers this week amid persistent speculation surrounding the Northern Irishman's future at Anfield.

Chairman Tom Werner will travel to Merseyside with Mike Gordon, the executive at Fenway Sports Group responsible for overseeing day-to-day business at Liverpool, though Goal understands owner John W. Henry will not make the trip.

Rodgers' position has been subjected to new levels of scrutiny in the wake of a humiliating 6-1 defeat to Stoke City on the Premier League's final day that cemented a sixth-placed finish to a disappointing season.

Speaking immediately after that defeat, a dejected Rodgers admitted: "I've always said if the owners want me to go, then I go."

Tensions at Anfield have been raised further by the increasingly acrimonious nature of Raheem Sterling's contract stand-off after explosive comments by the player's agent, Aidy Ward, to The Evening Standard earlier this month.

Sources at Liverpool insist that the uncertainty over Rodgers' future is not the sole purpose of Werner and Gordon's visit and no change of manager is expected this summer.

But for some the meeting will evoke ominous memories of the sacking of club legend Kenny Dalglish in May 2012 after face-to-face talks with Henry and Werner in Boston.

Rodgers received a boost from an unlikely source on Monday with the news that the coveted Jurgen Klopp will take a break from football upon ending an illustrious seven-year spell in charge of Borussia Dortmund.

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Vieira & McClaren to hold talks as Newcastle step up new manager search

patrick-vieira-manchester-city-academy-24022015_f018n61riz7y1jpsvxw75sklg.jpg

Jun 1, 2015 11:27:00

The duo will discuss the vacant post at St James' Park this week as Mike Ashley accelerates his attempts to make an appointment, with Aitor Karanka also being considered

Newcastle United will hold talks with Patrick Vieira and Steve McClaren this week as the club accelerate their plans to appoint a new manager, Goal understands.

Manchester City development coach Vieira is in contention after expressing his interest in taking over at St James' Park, while McClaren is without a club after he was sacked by Derby County on May 25.

Middlesbrough manager Aitor Karanka, who was beaten in the Championship play-off final, is also under consideration as owner Mike Ashley considers all options, including a number of foreign-based coaches.

A Newcastle source told Goal: "Everyone is being considered, every stone is being turned in this quest. The club has their system in place and anyone coming in knows they have to fit within that.

"They want the new man in place this week so they can press on with reshaping the squad."

Goal understands that John Carver, who oversaw a somewhat tumultuous end to the 2014-15 campaign that culminated in Newcastle surviving relegation on the final day, is not being considered for the permanent role.

The 50-year-old has consistently expressed his desire to take the post on a full-time basis but the Toon's less than impressive performances in the second half of the season have meant he is out of the running.
Vieira would appear to be the fans' favourite choice for the position, with the former Arsenal midfielder's wealth of Premier League experience as a member of Arsene Wenger's 'Invincibles' side of 2003-04 of appeal to supporters.

The Frenchman has been receiving widespread praise for his work with City's academy sides, with Vieira having guided the club's Elite Development Squad to the International Premier League Cup trophy, where they beat Porto in the final.

McClaren, meanwhile, is also among the top candidates to take the job despite having turned down advances from the north east club on two previous occasions, at a time when Newcastle were struggling in their fight to avoid relegation to the Championship.

Pardew

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rooney swims with pigs in the Bahamas

1264572_heroa.jpg

Jun 1, 2015 18:26:00

The Manchester United captain posted a picture on Instagram of his wife Colleen and son Klay posing behind one of the creatures that inhabit Big Major Cay

How would you warm up for two summer matches with England at the end of a long, draining Premier League season? If your answer isn't 'swimming with pigs in the Bahamas, you should probably have a long look at yourself.

Wayne Rooney has made the most of his time off ahead of a friendly with Republic of Ireland and Euro 2016 qualifier with Slovenia later this month by taking his family on an idyllic Caribbean break.

But the Manchester United captain encountered something he didn't expect when he visited Big Major Cay - informally known as 'Pig Island' - in the Exumas Cays district of the Bahamas.

Capture.jpg

"Didn't expect to see pigs in the sea in the Bahamas! Haha," Rooney wrote on Instagram alongside an image featuring wife Colleen and youngest son Klay posing behind one of the spotted critters.

Legend has it that the pigs were introduced to the island by passing sailors in the hope that they would prove to be a convenient and tasty food source, but they have long since become part of its unique attraction.

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wilshere apologises for Spurs taunts

1 June 2015

854313header.jpg

Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere has issued an apology for leading a foul-mouthed chant aimed at the club's rivals, Tottenham, in the FA Cup holders' victory celebrations.

England international Wilshere played his part in Arsenal's record 12th success in football's oldest club competition as they beat Aston Villa 4-0 at Wembley on Saturday.

Wilshere subsequently grabbed the microphone as Arsenal players toured London in an open-top bus on Sunday, asking the adoring fans over the public address system: "What do you we think of Tottenham?"

The supporters responded with "s***", before Wilshere asked: "What do we think of s***?"

Fans replied with "Tottenham".

Wilshere's actions were met with criticism in some quarters, and the midfielder has taken to Twitter to show some contrition.

"Sharing back to back cup wins with so many amazing Gooners is a dream come true," he wrote.

"Apologies if I upset or offended any of you with my celebrations."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

´We´ll see what happens with my future´ - De Gea

1 June 2015

854096header.jpg

Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea has refused to play down reports linking him with a move to Real Madrid.

De Gea is tipped to swap Manchester in favour of a return to his native Madrid during the off-season, though the Spain international has been tight-lipped amid the speculation.

The 24-year-old offered a non-committal response to questions over his future on Sunday - with his words likely to do little to dampen talk of a move.

"We'll see what happens with my future. Now I am on holiday," De Gea is quoted as saying by AS at an event in his home province of Toledo.

De Gea, who moved to Old Trafford from Atletico Madrid in 2011, kept 10 clean sheets in 37 Premier League appearances as United finished fourth in 2014-15.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

´I will definitely stay´ at City - Toure

1 June 2015

854033header.jpg

Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure said fans should not worry about his future, with the Ivorian promising to remain at the club next season.

Toure has been tipped to reunite with former City manager Roberto Mancini at Inter for the 2015-16 campaign, following an inconsistent term in Manchester.

But the Ivory Coast international, whose agent Dimitri Seluk was quoted over the weekend as claiming City owner Sheik Mansour intervened and blocked an exit from the Etihad Stadium, told the Manchester Evening News his future remains at the club.

"I will definitely stay," he said. "The fans don't have to be worried.

"My target this year is to try to do everything possible to make this team improve well.

"I am sure with my experience, [and] maybe I hope, with the players coming in a couple of weeks, a couple of months, definitely it is going to be a strong City next year."

Toure has two years remaining on his contract, which is set to expire in 2017, and the 32-year-old hinted at a possible extension.

"Football is like that," he said. "You get a contract but, after, maybe you can continue doing something.

"For me, the target is to continue helping the club to the end.

"I think it is the first club where I have been where the fans have been singing my name for a long time. We have friends, people around you, fans always sing your name.

"Those things, money can't buy."

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger: Arsenal won´t spend big

1 June 2015

854040header.jpg

Arsene Wenger said Arsenal will not be involved in big-money transfers during the off-season, with the manager vowing to put cohesion ahead of spending in the club's bid for Premier League success.

Arsenal successfully defended their FA Cup crown on Saturday but the Londoners have been tipped to dip into the transfer market after enduring another trophy-less season in the league via a third-placed finish.

Wenger has been linked with moves for Juventus duo Arturo Vidal and Paul Pogba as Arsenal look to close the gap on Premier League champions Chelsea.

And while Wenger is not against big spending, the Frenchman feels his team does not require major investment.

"We would not get involved at that level for financial reasons," said Wenger.

"I feel that we have moved forward and people think always it's about buying but it's as well about cohesion, and cohesion is a very important factor that is a bit underrated usually by people.

"We have to keep that cohesion and maybe add quality. But the quality we have to add is in short numbers. But the other teams - how good will Chelsea be? Who will they buy? I don't know.

"People forget that for years we had to sell our best players and that was a very difficult period. That is the reality.

"Since we are buying again, we are slowly coming back to a more competitive level.

"You speak maybe about stratospheric numbers where we will not be involved.

Wenger added: "Santi Cazorla was voted man of the match in the [FA Cup] final. I think he has not cost £150m.

"[Francis] Coquelin was one of the best players on the pitch. You have to always look at the real quality of people.

"I am not against spending money, I have shown that recently. But I want a good rapport between price and quality. I'm always more focused on quality."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Vieira ´the best bet´ for Newcastle - Bernard

1 June 2015

854100header.jpg

Former Newcastle United defender Olivier Bernard believes Patrick Vieira would be an excellent choice to take over as the club's head coach.

John Carver was handed control of first-team affairs at St James' Park following Alan Pardew's departure at the turn of the year, but the former's future is unclear after Newcastle endured a woeful slump and only narrowly avoided relegation from the Premier League.

Former Arsenal and France midfielder Vieira, currently the head of Manchester City's Elite Development Squad, has been linked with succeeding Carver.

And Bernard told the Newcastle Chronicle: "He's the best bet. Patrick has played the game and won the lot.

"His philosophy of football is very good and having been with [Arsenal manager] Arsene Wenger for many years he has ethics that are good enough to build on.

"It will be hard for him to be a better manager than a player because he has been one of the top players in the world. But he’s got that work ethic which I like."

Bernard also believes Vieira's knowledge of French players would benefit Newcastle.

He added: "The market [Newcastle] are going for - the French one - will help him enormously as well. Personally I think we need better French quality.

"Getting the second best or the cheapest option is not always the best way."