• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Villa fined £60,000 for Leicester skirmish

22 January 2015

776260header.jpg

Aston Villa have been fined £60,000 after admitting a failure to control their players during the Premier League clash with Leicester City.

The Football Association (FA) has fined Aston Villa £60,000 after the club admitted a failure to control their players against Leicester City.

Towards the end of the Premier League meeting at the King Power Stadium earlier this month - which Villa lost 1-0 - a fracas broke out after Matty James' strong challenge on Jores Okore.

James was confronted by Ciaran Clark, leading to a brief melee before both men were subsequently sent off by referee Michael Oliver.

The two clubs were charged three days later, and on Thursday it was confirmed that Villa had accepted their punishment.

"Aston Villa have been fined £60,000 and warned as to their future conduct, after the club admitted failing to ensure its players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion and/or refrained from proactive behaviour," a brief FA statement read.

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers reveals Sturridge fitness boost after Bolton stalemate

24 January 2015

777609header.jpg

Brendan Rodgers expects Daniel Sturridge to make his Liverpool return next week while admitting poor form is keeping Mario Balotelli out.

Brendan Rodgers will soon be able to boost his Liverpool attack with Daniel Sturridge after watching them draw a blank in the FA Cup.

Bolton Wanderers were able to battle their way to a 0-0 draw at Anfield, earning a fourth-round replay as Rodgers' men came up against visiting goalkeeper Adam Bogdan in inspired form behind a disciplined defence.

Sturridge netted 21 goals in 29 Premier League appearances last season, but has not featured for his club since August's 3-0 victory a Tottenham due to struggles with thigh and hamstring injuries.

But the England striker will return to training with his Liverpool team-mates on Sunday and could play a part in next week's League Cup semi-final second leg against Chelsea.

Whether or not the 25-year-old plays a part in a tie that is finely poised at 1-1, Rodgers insists Sturridge will be ready for Liverpool's next Premier League outing at home to West Ham.

"He's done all his rehab he's at a really good level of fitness," Rodgers told BT Sport

"He'll only have a couple of days; we'll see how he is for Chelsea.

"He'll be ready for West Ham - whether he starts or not."

Despite the Bolton result meaning just one win in their past six outings at Anfield, Rodgers hailed his players' efforts and believes the replay at the Macron Stadium could be beneficial to the likes of Sturridge and others on their return from injury problems.

"I was pleased," he added. "Obviously you want to win but we've got players coming back from injury so that [the replay] gives them a chance to get some game time as well."

One player not among the Anfield walking wounded is Mario Balotelli.

The enigmatic Italy international has been sidelined by a hamstring problem, but Rodgers confirmed that he is back to fitness.

Speaking at his post-match media conference, Rodgers added that fellow forwards Rickie Lambert and Fabio Borini were selected ahead of Balotelli in Saturday's matchday squad on account of superior performances in training.

"If you can't press, you can't be a part of the team. It doesn't matter who the player is," he said.

"[It's] tough for Mario, obviously the team is doing very well. He probably sees the real Liverpool over these last six or seven weeks and he understands just what is required to get into the team.

"Of course, I'm judging it every day in training as well. Mario is exactly the same as every other player.

"There's no special treatment for anyone. If you're performing every day in training. Fabio Borini, Rickie Lambert, they're working tirelessly for me in training and when they go on they've contributed.

"I have to judge it on that. I've had a chat with Mario. He knows exactly what's required to be in this squad before he can be in the team.

"He is available, like the rest of the team."

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pulis eyes room for improvement

24 January 2015

777565header.jpg

Following West Brom's FA Cup victory over local rivals Birmingham City, Tony Pulis insists that his squad still need to improve.

Tony Pulis believes that his West Brom outfit still need to up their all-round game if they are to become a consistent threat both with and without possession after their 2-1 FA Cup triumph over Birmingham City.

Victor Anichebe's first-half double was enough to ensure the Premier League team overcame their Championship opponents in a scrappy Midlands derby at St Andrew's.

But Pulis, who is still unbeaten as West Brom manager, admits there is still work to be done.

"I thought the first half we played really well and I was disappointed that they got the goal in injury time to give them a foothold and the way that they got it," he said.

"The one disappointment is that there is certain aspects of the side that have to be improved if we want that threat all game – whether we've got the ball or not.

"We switched off for their goal and their lad mishits it, and in the second half they really pinned us back but we stood up to it, and that’s what we've got to do."

The visitors controlled proceedings in the first half and were two ahead after 35 minutes as Anichebe notched twice in the space of 10 minutes.

Jonathan Grounds then pulled one back for Gary Rowett's side on the stroke of half-time and, though they pushed for a leveller during the second half, West Brom held on to secure progression through to the last 16.

"In the second half they've got nothing to lose and it was a proper cup tie with both sets of fans getting behind their team and it was a pleasure to be involved in," added Pulis.

"You've got to give them credit. They've been on a great run, Gary has got them going and they've got some good players who can hurt you, so we're very pleased."

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Official: Sampdoria sign Eto'o from Everton

821112_heroa.jpg

By Sam Lee
Jan 24, 2015 16:36:00

The former Cameroon striker had not featured for the Toffees since the end of December as a move away from the club, which he only joined last summer, became increasingly likely
Sampdoria have announced the signing of Samuel Eto'o from Everton.

The former Cameroon striker only moved to Goodison Park last summer after his one-year deal with Chelsea had expired, but he has now been allowed to move to the Serie A club.

He scored three goals in 14 Premier League appearances for the Toffees, but had not featured since the 3-2 defeat at Newcastle United on December 28 as a move away became increasingly likely.

Sampdoria have been one of the best teams in Italy this season and currently sit fourth in Serie A, level on points with third-placed Napoli.

Coach Sinisa Mihajlovic said of the striker: "He's a great player, who has won everything, and that attracts a lot of attention from the media, but this should not distract us.

"The reason we are third is thanks to these guys, their commitment and their daily work."

Eto'o is expected to be presented to the fans ahead of Sampdoria's clash with Palermo on Sunday.

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Defence to blame for Southampton cup exit - Koeman

827632_heroa.jpg

By Harry West
Jan 24, 2015 19:15:00

The manager stated his unhappiness at the performance of his defenders after Saints were twice pegged back before losing to Alan Pardew's resurgent Crystal Palace side

Ronald Koeman blamed Southampton's FA Cup fourth-round exit at the hands of Crystal Palace on poor first-half defending from his side.

The Saints led twice through Graziano Pelle and Scott Dann's own goal at St Mary's Stadium on Saturday, but eventually fell to a 3-2 defeat to former boss Alan Pardew.

Marouane Chamakh cancelled out Pelle's early opener, before Yaya Sanogo and Chamakh's second turned the game in Palace's favour, with all the goals arriving in the first half.

"I think the defeat came out of our poor first half, defensively. Normally that's one of the strengths of the team," Koeman said.

"We made a lot of mistakes so they got a lot of opportunities and they scored three times, and that's not usual.

"Defensively, we didn't work together and we didn't have the concentration we usually have.

"It's not normal that a team like Crystal Palace - with all due respect, because they played very well - creates so many possibilities.

"At least we had a good reaction in the second half, but it wasn't enough."

Shane Long was introduced into the action shortly before the hour mark but lasted only 13 minutes, leaving the field after a collision with Joel Ward, and Koeman revealed that the forward has a suspected fractured rib.

"That's a pity because he's doing well," Koeman said.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rodgers: Balotelli is fit, I just won't pick him

585431_heroa.jpg

Jan 24, 2015 21:14:00

The Liverpool boss reveals he had an hour-long chat with the Italy striker over his role in the team, and insists he will have to work hard to fit into the current style of play

Brendan Rodgers admits he overlooked Mario Balotelli for Liverpool's FA Cup fourth round 0-0 draw with Bolton Wanderers at Anfield because the Italian forward is not working well enough in training and does not fit in with his current style of play.

Balotelli was "not well" in the past week and, as such, was not available to be selected for the League Cup semi-final first-leg against Chelsea on Tuesday.

However, he was fit for selection for Saturday's match but Rodgers opted against bringing him in despite the continued absence of Daniel Sturridge due to injury.

"I've had a chat with Mario," Rodgers told the press. "He knows exactly what's required to be in this squad before he can be in the team. He is available, like the rest of the team. We had about an hour or so yesterday chatting. I think he understands where it's at.

"He was out for a week or so, not well, obviously wasn't available for selection in midweek and last week. It's difficult for him. He knows now the level of what this team is at. You see the pressing in our game, the aggression in our game. If you can't do that, then you're not going to be part of what this team is trying to achieve."

Rodgers says Balotelli has learned a lot about what is expected of him at Anfield due to the team's recent performances, and will return to the matchday squad when he demonstrates a greater work ethic in training.

"He probably sees the real Liverpool over these last six or seven weeks and he understands just what is required to get into the team.

"Of course, I'm judging it every day in training as well. Mario is exactly the same as every other player. There's no special treatment for anyone. Fabio Borini, Rickie Lambert, they're working tirelessly for me in training and when they go on they've contributed. I have to judge it on that.

"We suffered as a team in the first four odd months of the season or so. We can't go back to that. There's been a change structurally in the team to allow that pressing, that creativity to come back.

"He is a player that will work very hard now to get back in. It doesn't matter who the player is, what price he came with or what he was bought for. It's a collective team, it's about the team, and if you want to contribute then you have to be at it every single day in training in order to be in the squad for a matchday.

"He was fully understanding. He has seen the level of our performance against Chelsea and in fairness to him he actually said that was a struggle for him in terms of how he would play the game because he's naturally a box player, really. But there's much more asked of this team, the intensity of the team."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: Chelsea not planning to buy or sell in January

23 January 2015

776888header.jpg

As rumours of a move for Fiorentina's Juan Cuadrado gather pace, Jose Mourinho insists Chelsea will do no business in the transfer market.

Jose Mourinho is adamant Chelsea have no plans to buy or sell in the January transfer window amid speculation of a move for Juan Cuadrado and the potential exits of Andre Schurrle and Mohamed Salah.

Fiorentina's Cuadrado, who can play on the right of defence or midfield, has caught the eye of several European suitors after impressing for Colombia at the World Cup last year.

Rumours have increased that Chelsea manager Mourinho was interested in striking a deal, with reports linking Schurrle and Salah with Wolfsburg and Roma respectively due to a lack of playing time.

However, the Portuguese stated that he has no plans to offload forwards Schurrle and Salah and that the duo will be in Chelsea's squad for Saturday's FA Cup fourth-round tie with Bradford City.

"Salah is selected [against Bradford]. Schurrle is the same, he's selected," he said. "I like them, I need them and I trust them.

"I can only play 11 players. Salah is not playing a lot, Schurrle slightly more, but they have played for us in every competition. I count on them."

When pressed on a potential exit for Schurrle, Mourinho added: "The principle is that we would like him to stay. The question is not whether he is allowed to go or not. The question is not whether we get a good offer.

"The question is whether we have a phenomenal offer and for the player to be super-keen to accept a new challenge in his career, because we don't want to sell our players."

Mourinho admitted that if the duo did leave he would have to draft in at least one replacement, but the former Real Madrid coach does not believe Cuadrado will be available.

"There are not men marked. I think he fits well in Fiorentina's squad and Colombia's squad, not in Chelsea's squad," he added.

"Our desire is to keep the same squad. We are happy with the players and the work we did in the summer to prepare for the season.

"If possible, we don't want to be involved in the transfer window. If we are, it's because someone pushed us into it with an offer for our players."

Mourinho also confirmed that captain John Terry is to be rested against Bradford, while Petr Cech will start in goal.

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: I refused to speak to Chelsea players

855882_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Jan 26, 2015 07:56:00

The Blues were humiliated by Bradford at Stamford Bridge in the FA Cup, but the coach will not be forced into the transfer market as a result

Jose Mourinho has revealed that he did not speak to his Chelsea players after their humiliating FA Cup loss to Bradford on Saturday.

The Blues threw away a 2-0 lead at Stamford Bridge to lose 4-2 to the League One outfit and Mourinho was left fuming at his players’ collapse.

As such, the Portuguese has revealed that he refused to give a team-talk at full-time, such was his disdain for his side’s display.

“What did I say to the players? Nothing. Not a word. It wasn't a moment to speak to them,” he told reporters.

Mourinho refused to solely blame his players for the defeat, however, and admitted that he must take a share of the blame, despite claiming that his side “switched off” after taking a 2-0 lead.

“I blame myself the same as the players," he added. "I think we should share between us. But if I am the boss, the boss has more responsibilities.

“But at half-time it was 2-1 and then we spoke about the danger of the situation. We spoke about how they play, we repeated at half-time what we spoke in the preparation of the match.

“Maybe you don't believe but we prepared in the same way we prepare for a Premier League match - the same power point presentation, same analysis, the same information, we prepare exactly the same way.

“We respect them - at least I respect them - in the way we prepared for the game but at half-time the players thought 'We are going to score, not them' and when they scored for 2-2, after that the game became crazy.”

Mourinho also batted away the suggestion that the result would force him into the transfer market, despite links with the likes of Juan Cuadrado and Douglas Costa.

“This result doesn't alter my plans in the transfer market,” he said. “I'm happy to go with the squad I have. This is Chelsea always thinking and being proud of thinking of numbers and Financial Fair Play and so on.

“We cannot now go to the market and spend money. I am completely with the club. I share this idea. I don't think we are going to the market, unless someone makes a market with us.”

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

West Ham push for Darren Fletcher deal

861402_heroa.jpg

Jan 26, 2015 01:15:00

Sam Allardyce has offered the Manchester United midfielder a two-and-a-half year contract and is hopeful of signing the Scot before the January transfer deadline

By Harry Sherlock

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce is attempting to push through a deal to sign Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher ahead of the January transfer deadline.

Allardyce has prioritised a move for the 30-year-old, despite the club’s policy of signing players aged 27 and under, and the Hammers manager is keen to acquire Fletcher on a two-and-a-half-year deal.

The player’s injury record is understood to worry insiders at the club, though, due to the furore surrounding Andy Carroll’s time on the sidelines following his permanent move from Liverpool.

Fletcher battled back from ulcerative colitis to return to the United starting XI but has completed 90 minutes just twice in the Premier League under Louis van Gaal this season.

West Brom have also tabled a proposal as they look to sign the Scotland international, while Valencia are reportedly keeping an eye on negotiations.

Allardyce confirmed West Ham’s interest in Fletcher earlier this week, confirming that he is currently waiting to hear back from the player over the club’s proposal.

"When he makes his mind up everyone will know," he told reporters.

"I don't know what the timeline is. If any of the other packages offered to him are accepted then we would accept that.

"Or if they hadn't made their mind up or were negotiating somewhere else that would be it. We can't wait forever.

"I always think at this stage of the window, if you do get something nailed on you have to take it because you might end up with nothing if you don't."

Fletcher has spent his entire career at United since joining the club at the age of 11 in 1995.

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nani not giving up on Old Trafford career

25 January 2015

777888header.jpg

Despite being out on loan at Sporting Lisbon for the season, Nani harbours hopes of a return to Premier League side Manchester United.

Nani feels he has a long-term future at Manchester United, despite spending the season on loan at Sporting Lisbon.

The winger was sent back to his homeland as part of the deal that brought Marcos Rojo to Old Trafford last August.

A return to Sporting – where the Portugal international started out – appeared to spell the end of Nani's United career, even though he only signed a new five-year deal with the Premier League club in September 2013.

But the winger is adamant that he can force his way back into the United first team under Louis van Gaal.

When quizzed on whether he felt aggrieved with Van Gaal for sending him out on loan, Nani told BT Sport: "No. Because the club know my value and I know they want me to stay.

"It was me who made the choice to leave the club and it was a good decision by me because I knew if I stayed one more season at Old Trafford, it would be very hard for me."

Reflecting on his return to his homeland, Nani added: "I just need someone to believe in me, trust me and my qualities, and give me an opportunity to show them on the pitch.

"It's an experience I wanted a lot and needed as well because the last two seasons at Manchester United I had so many injuries and I was very upset with a lot of things that happened to me.

"I was missing my family and friends and I wanted something new. The only opportunity I had to be happy, and Manchester United to be happy as well, was this one."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini defends misfiring City strikers

25 January 2015

777803header.jpg

Manchester City look short of attacking confidence heading into a clash with Chelsea, but manager Manuel Pellegrini has called for calm.

Manuel Pellegrini feels it is understandable that his misfiring Manchester City attack is taking time to gel again following the club's injury problems.

Championship high-flyers Middlesbrough dumped City out of the FA Cup fourth round on Saturday, winning 2-0 at the Etihad Stadium, which represented the second home game in a row that Pellegrini's men have failed to net following a crushing loss against Arsenal.

Defeat at Chelsea in the side's next match will leave City eight points adrift of the Premier League leaders.

And while Pellegrini is concerned that the champions head into a critical juncture in their season some way short of their prolific best, the Chilean is quick to point out that the returning duo of Sergio Aguero and Edin Dzeko are understandably yet to back firing on all cylinders.

He said: "I think the problem is that we had to change our style of play because we didn't have the strikers for around a month - after that the strikers come back but of course they need time maybe to have their best performance and we have to retain the way we normally play so we need some time.

"I am concerned about it [City's recent lack of goals] but not because of the Chelsea game, I am concerned because in the last two home games we didn't score a goal, and because in the last four games here at home we conceded two goals in each game, so maybe in one week we threw in the trash all what we did in December.

"We need to try and recover in attack and in defence."

City's attacking options will be boosted significantly when new January signing Wilfried Bony returns to make his debut following the end of the Ivory Coast's Africa Cup of Nations campaign.

Pellegrini has ruled out adding to his squad further this month, as he added: "No for the moment I don't think we are going to make any other movements."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bojan out for season with knee injury

868292_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
Jan 27, 2015 17:40:00

The Stoke City attacker sustained a knee injury against Rochdale on Monday and the club have now confirmed that he will miss the remainder of the 2014-15 season

Stoke City have confirmed that Bojan will miss the rest of the season after sustaining a knee ligament injury in the FA Cup win over Rochdale.

The Spaniard joined the club from Barcelona in a €4 million summer deal and had set about revitalising his career, making a significant impact at the Britannia Stadium after sealing his move.

Bojan has scored five goals in all competitions and netted a brilliant strike against Rochdale on Monday, though he had his game prematurely cut short when he pulled up short at Spotland Stadium, before reports suggested that he had left the ground on crutches.

And, after undergoing a scan, the club have confirmed that he will miss the remainder of the 2014-15 season, with manager Mark Hughes quickly moving to lament his loss.

"It's bitterly disappointing for the club but even more so for Bojan himself as he was making such a big impact on the Premier League and clearly enjoying his football," he told Stoke's official website. "We wish him a speedy recovery."

Stoke are currently 10th in the Premier League, having taken 29 points from 22 games.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pochettino to stick with Vorm despite cup error

27 January 2015

778995header.jpg

Mauricio Pochettino has placed his faith in goalkeeper Michel Vorm despite a costly blunder in the FA Cup against Leicester City.

Tottenham head coach Mauricio Pochettino has pledged to continue to use goalkeeper Michel Vorm for Spurs' domestic cup fixtures.

Since moving from Swansea City in the off-season, Vorm is yet to make a Premier League appearance, but has played in six out of seven of Spurs' League Cup and FA Cup ties.

However, Vorm was at fault for Leicester City's winning goal in the FA Cup fourth round on Saturday, as he allowed Jeffrey Schlupp's tame volley to creep into the net in stoppage time.

Spurs take a 1-0 lead to Sheffield United in the League Cup semi-final second leg on Wednesday, and Pochettino says Vorm will retain his place.

"This is football. He made two big saves against Leicester," said Pochettino. "His attitude is fantastic and nothing has changed. In one action he conceded a goal.

"He made a mistake. Every player can make a mistake, we must give him support and confidence.

"I think it should be normal to play Michel. This is football. All games are important. He had a good performance [against Leicester]."

Pochettino says the return leg at Bramall Lane will be a difficult balancing act for Spurs, who will look to kill off the tie but must not leave themselves too open, with only a slender advantage.

"I think the pressure is the same as it was in the home game. we want to get to the final. But after the first leg we need to be careful. Though we need to play freely. We need to score.

"We need to be 100 per cent focused. Our fans expect us to arrive in the final at Wembley. But we need to play better than Sheffield, show more energy than Sheffield and try to fight.

"For me we need to go there thinking it is 0-0. I believe we will need to score. We have to forget about the first leg and show the mentality to win.

"When I speak about being more aggressive it is in the right way. We need to fight to get on the ball and instil our game."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Drogba targeting Chelsea stay

26 January 2015

778355header.jpg

Didier Drogba would like to continue his career at Chelsea beyond the end of this season.

Didier Drogba has underlined his desire to stay at Chelsea beyond the end of the current season, when his contract expires.

The Ivorian enjoyed a stellar eight years at Stamford Bridge in his first spell, winning three Premier League titles and four FA Cups before sealing the UEFA Champions League with the decisive penalty in the shootout against Bayern Munich in the 2012 final.

Many thought that spot-kick would be Drogba's last act in a Chelsea shirt, but, following brief stints at Shanghai Shenhua and Galatasaray, the 36-year-old returned to be reunited with Jose Mourinho at the start of this campaign.

And the striker, who signed a one-year deal, says he would like to remain in London for the foreseeable future.

"When you have achieved so much and won so many trophies like we have done in the past 10 years, that creates something special," he told Sky Sports.

"I hope, and the club makes me believe, I am part of this big family, so we are going to find the best thing for both of us to promote the club in the best way.

"When I left this club [the first time], I was saying that I had done everything I wanted to do, but I think now that I did not do everything, I think there is more to do.

"I love this club and would love to be part of this club for the future, with the new players."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Herd heads to Wigan on loan

26 January 2015

778438header.jpg

Wigan Athletic have signed Aston Villa defender Chris Herd on loan until the end of the season.

Chris Herd has joined Wigan Athletic on loan for the rest of the season as he goes in search of regular first-team football.

The Australia international defender has not featured for Aston Villa in any competition this season and made just three appearances while on loan at Bolton Wanderers.

On Monday, it was announced that Herd had returned to Lancashire, as struggling Championship outfit Wigan secured his signature on a temporary deal until the end of the campaign.

"I'm delighted that Chris has been able to join us on loan until the end of the season, he's a player I've looked at a lot over a period of time," said Wigan manager Malky Mackay.

"I feel that his energy, his athleticism and his tenacity will be things that can really help us out.

"He's got Premier League and Football League experience and he's another young player who wants to kick on at our club and solidify a position here, so I'm delighted we've managed to get him."

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Carver to lead Newcastle until end of season

26 January 2015

778540header.jpg

John Carver will stay in charge of Newcastle United until the end of the season, the Premier League club have confirmed.

Newcastle United have put John Carver in charge of the first team until the end of the season, it was announced on Monday.

Carver, a lifelong fan of the club, was given the reins on an interim basis earlier this month when Alan Pardew left to become Crystal Palace manager.

Having made no secret of his desire to be given the job on a full-time basis, Carver has now been afforded the chance to impress owner Mike Ashley in the final 16 games of the Premier League season.

"This is a proud day for me," said Carver, who was in his second spell as assistant manager at St James' Park when Pardew left.

"I have worked with, and learnt from, the best manager that this football club has had in Sir Bobby Robson. I know what this club means to this city and its people. I believe in my players and the staff I have around me.

"I am confident that we can deliver exciting successful football and look forward with relish to my role as head coach of this great football club."

Carver is winless in the three games he has presided over since Pardew's departure, with Newcastle 11th in the Premier League.

The 50-year-old has been set the target of securing a top-10 finish as the Newcastle board bide their time over a long-term appointment, amid reports linking the likes of Frank de Boer and Remi Garde to the job.

Newcastle managing director Lee Charnley said: "At the beginning of this process it was my desire and intention to appoint an individual to the position of head coach who would be available to start immediately.

"Having now explored at some length the options available to us at this time, the decision has been taken to defer the appointment of a permanent head coach until the end of the season.

"The head coach will be a long-term appointment that will play a major role in shaping the future on-field progression of Newcastle United and it is vitally important that we get the right individual.

"John has a long history with the club and has the full support of the board.

"Our goal for the season of a minimum top-10 finish remains unchanged and we are confident that John, supported by the backroom staff, will be able to deliver this."

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Manchester United midfielder Powell set for January loan

451170_heroa.jpg

Jan 27, 2015 12:41:00

A number of Championship clubs are interested in the former Crewe Alexandra man, who had a season-long spell with Leicester City cut short at the beginning of the month

By Graeme Bailey

Manchester United will send youngster Nick Powell back out on loan before the January transfer window closes.

The 20-year-old spent the first half of the season at Leicester City, but was recalled by the Old Trafford club, who were understood to be unhappy with the midfielder's lack of first-team playing time.

Powell returned to Old Trafford at the start of January, and has been assessed by Louis van Gaal over recent weeks ahead of another loan move, with a host of Championship clubs interested in acquiring his services for the rest of the season.

Goal understands promotion-chasing pair Derby and Watford are among the leading contenders to secure Powell's services.

Wigan are also keen on Powell, who spent last season on loan at the DW Stadium as they attempted to return to the Premier League at the first time of asking.

Powell was in the starting XI as United crashed out of the League Cup to MK Dons in August before joining Leicester, where he made a mere three substitute's appearances, amounting to just 40 minutes of first team football.

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Everton confirm Eto´o departure to Sampdoria

27 January 2015

779004header.jpg

Samuel Eto'o's move to Sampdoria has now been completed after the striker failed to make an impact at Everton.

Samuel Eto'o has completed his move to Sampdoria from Everton, the Premier League club have confirmed.

The former Cameroon international arrived at Everton from Chelsea at the start of the season, but made just eight Premier League starts under Roberto Martinez.

Eto'o's switch had been widely expected, and the striker was presented to Sampdoria fans on Sunday.

The 33-year-old has agreed terms on a two-and-a-half year deal at Samp, and Everton manager Roberto Martinez praised the forward on the club's official website.

"We thank Samuel for his efforts and for bringing his know-how to the team and to Finch Farm where he passed on some of his terrific experience to all of the young players in particular," he said.

"The memory of his performances in Europe stand out especially.

"On behalf of all Evertonians, we wish him well for the next chapter in his career."