• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers has solved Liverpool's problems, says Lovren

951652_heroa.jpg

By Oliver Platt
Feb 25, 2015 18:14:00

The Croatian feels that the Reds have put their poor start to the 2014-15 campaign firmly behind them and says that their Irish coach deserves all the credit for the turnaround

Liverpool defender Dejan Lovren believes that Brendan Rodgers has "solved everything" that was going wrong at Anfield at the beginning of the season.

The Reds have put a poor start to the campaign behind them by losing just one match in 18 since they were beaten 3-0 by rivals Manchester United in December.

They are now two points behind the fourth-placed Red Devils and Lovren is convinced that their post-Luis Suarez struggles are behind them.

"The basis from the start is that we are together," the Croatia international told the club's official website. "We are always like a team, in bad times and also in good times.

"The first couple of months didn't go so well but now you can see the real shape of the team. Everything has settled down and the manager has solved everything. The bad times are behind us."

Rodgers has successfully switched to a 3-4-3 formation to improve Liverpool's defensive shape and their current run of five consecutive clean sheets is the club's best since 1985.

"I always say it's not the four or five at the back who are about the defence, it is the whole team," versatile centre-half Lovren added. "A clean sheet is because of all of the players, from the strikers to the goalkeeper.

"Everyone is involved. We haven't conceded in the last couple of games so we need to continue like this by defending and attacking together."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Giaccherini injury setback for Sunderland

1003912_heroa.jpg

By Harry West
Feb 25, 2015 18:47:00

Black Cats manager Gus Poyet is ready to write off the Italian midfielder's campaign and focus on seeing him make a recovery in time to have a bigger impact in 2015-16

Sunderland star Emanuele Giaccherini looks set to miss the majority of the rest of the season as he continues to struggle with a troublesome ankle injury.

The Italian midfielder has been beset by fitness problems this season, making just four starts for Gus Poyet's side.

Giaccherini last featured in the FA Cup fourth-round replay against Fulham earlier in February but faces a battle to play any further part before the end of the 2014-15 campaign.

"Emanuele is going to be out for a while," Poyet told the club's official website.

"It is incredible that he had a big injury after the Burnley game and it took him a while to come back and then, when you think everything is good, he had another knock in the same area on the same bone and now it is going to take a little bit longer.

"He is practically going to be out right until the end of the season, which is unfortunate for us, but we wish him well and I want to say a full recovery - not a quick one - so that we can count on him next year.

"He was like a new player in pre-season. I was happily surprised and I was really thinking about somehow finding a place for him in the team so that was my challenge.

"He showed it at the start of the season and, when he came back, it was a different way because it was from an injury but at Fulham he also showed something special and then he got a kick.

"Let's say that it is a season to forget for Giaccherini so we just need to make sure he feels perfect for next season."

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea know how to beat Tottenham, says Ivanovic

994142_heroa.jpg

By George Ankers
Feb 25, 2015 16:26:00

The Blues right-back says that greater experience of playing in huge matches should stand his side in good stead against Spurs in the League Cup final on Sunday

Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic says that his side have the know-how to beat Tottenham in the League Cup final.

The London rivals will face off at Wembley on Sunday for the first major trophy of the season, though they will be without the suspended Nemanja Matic.

Ivanovic believes that past experience of playing in finals will see the Blues come out on top, even as excitement grips the squad in the run-up to the game.

"We know what we have to do," he declared to the club's official website. "It's definitely going to be a very tough game but we are ready and we are looking forward to it. We want it. You have this special feeling inside you when a final is coming and we all want the game to start right now.

"I think our team like to play these kinds of games. Everyone at this club knows how to play finals. Footballers want to play finals, footballers want to win trophies. That's why we are here.

"Psychologically it's very important. After the game we will just have the league and the Champions League to focus on but winning this final could give us a massive psychological advantage before the last few months of the season. We need to take that and use it.

"It's very important - not just for me but for all of us. This group of players with this manager hasn't won a trophy yet so it's a massive [game] for us. The manager knows how to manage that situation. He has the experience of a lot of finals and so do we.

"A final is a completely different game from any other so we have to expect everything and be ready for everything."

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Monk has no problem with Van Gaal

26 February 2015

795483header.jpg

Garry Monk has distanced himself from comments allegedly made by a Swansea City director towards Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal.

After a Swansea City director allegedly labelled Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal an "arrogant b******", Garry Monk says neither he nor the Welsh club share the opinion.

John van Zweden is alleged to have made the comments on Dutch television on Saturday - the same day as Swansea's 2-1 win over United in the Premier League.

With chairman Huw Jenkins stating this week the club would look into the matter, Monk told a news conference on Thursday he did not find Van Gaal to be arrogant.

"I was made aware of [the quotes], I'm not fully aware of what context it was said in or if, or what, was said but they're obviously not the views shared by myself or the club," he explained.

"I think the chairman has already said that and those sort of matters are for the chairman to deal with.

"I have no problem whatsoever [with Van Gaal], he's the character he is and he's a very experienced man - he has great belief in what he does and what people say after games can always be different to what someone else thinks.

"I didn't necessarily agree agree with the way he assessed the game at the end but it's not something that bothers me or will concern me.

"We did our job and we move on to this weekend."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Poyet not prepared to risk returning duo against United

26 February 2015

795481header.jpg

Sunderland duo Billy Jones and Jack Rodwell will be given the weekend off by Gus Poyet to enable them to regain full fitness.

Gus Poyet will not risk Billy Jones or Jack Rodwell for Sunderland's trip to Manchester United this weekend as the duo are nursed back to full health.

Both players returned to light training this week after ankle and calf injuries respectively, but head coach Poyet will wait until Tuesday's clash with Hull City before considering them for selection.

Rodwell has not featured for Sunderland since he was sent off in last month's FA Cup replay victory over Fulham, while Jones missed last weekend's goalless draw with West Brom.

"We are not going to risk Billy," said Poyet. "We're going to wait until Tuesday, and Jack the same.

"But the rest of the squad is there. We're in good shape. Now it's up to us to perform on Saturday at 3pm.

"I like to plan a little bit and train a few things, and when you have most of the squad that you have for the weekend, you can really do things in a different way.

"Last week, three or four players who played at the weekend didn’t train until the Friday.

"This week has been much better."

Saturday's trip to Manchester has come too soon for Will Buckley (knee), though, with Emanuele Giaccherini the only other player definitely ruled out.

The Italian is unlikely to feature again this season after undergoing a second operation on a troublesome ankle injury sustained last month.

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sherwood seeks six wins for survival

26 February 2015

795466header.jpg

Tim Sherwood has set an ambitious target for number of wins as he seeks to keep Aston Villa in the Premier League.

Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood insists he is not surprised by the size of the challenge facing him at the club and is targeting six more wins to preserve their Premier League status.

Sherwood lost his first game in charge against Stoke City last weekend, with a last-gasp Victor Moses penalty giving the visitors victory after Ron Vlaar was sent off for a foul on the on-loan Chelsea forward.

Villa sit second bottom of the table with just five wins and 13 goals to their name, and Sherwood - whose side visit Newcastle United on Saturday - is under no illusions as to what they need to stay up.

"Is it a bigger challenge than I thought? No," he said.

"We have won five [league] games of football all season, we need to win six to stay in the division.

"The reality has to kick in that we are in a dogfight here and we need points as soon as possible.

"It's a work in progress now and I am just trying to identify the strengths and weaknesses as soon as possible.

"I'm learning all the time about the guys. If we can get as many points as possible we are going to fail trying, that's for sure."

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Alderweireld close to Southampton return

1008942_heroa.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
Feb 26, 2015 19:15:00

The on-loan Belgian defender has been unavailable with a hamstring problem since his side's win over Manchester United on January 11 but could face Crystal Palace on Tuesday

Southampton are set to welcome back defender Toby Alderweireld from a hamstring problem next week after more than a month out.

The Belgian suffered the injury during the Saints' 1-0 win over Manchester United on January 11, having previously been a key member of Ronald Koeman's back four following his loan move from Atletico Madrid in September.

While Alderweireld will miss Saturday's Premier League clash with West Brom, Koeman said he could be back in the team for Tuesday's visit of Crystal Palace.

"Toby is close to being back but not available for this weekend," the Saints boss told reporters.

"We have good hope he will be fit enough for next Tuesday. After Saturday, it's good news that he's pretty close to being back.

"It's always frustrating for everybody, for the manager as well, because we'd like to have everybody available and competition between the players in the squad.

"He's the last player who has to come back other than Jay Rodriguez and Emmanuel Mayuka. That's important."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tottenham must be 'nearly perfect' to beat Chelsea - Pochettino

1016742_heroa.jpg

By Michael Huguenin
Feb 28, 2015 10:51:00

The Spurs boss targets a repeat of their Premier League win over the Blues on New Year's Day if they are to be triumphant at Wembley

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino believes that his side's 5-3 victory over Chelsea in January is the blueprint for success in Sunday's League Cup final.

Harry Kane struck twice, while Danny Rose, Andros Townsend and Nacer Chadli also got on the scoresheet for Spurs, as they beat their London rivals by two goals in the Premier League on New Year's Day.

It was Tottenham's first win against Chelsea in all competitions since 2010 and Pochettino says that a repeat of that "nearly perfect" display is what is needed for his team to triumph at Wembley.

"You saw the game; our performance was nearly perfect," the Argentine told reporters on Friday.

"I think that we had a really good performance. We need to repeat the same performance to win the trophy."

Pochettino added that victory was a critical achievement for the psychology of his squad, with Tottenham having gone 10 games without a win versus Chelsea.

The 42-year-old expects that motivation rather than tactics will decide which side lifted the trophy.

"I think that the motivation is full and you don't need to prepare for the final. It's only small details, tactically, because it's Chelsea. We know Chelsea, Chelsea know us," Pochettino continued, "and after, it's about our performance and our motivation."

He continued: "We're looking forward to play. I think that our motivation is full and I think, not only for me but for a lot of the players, it's a first final in their careers. So I think the motivation is full."

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I need time to become a Manchester United regular - Herrera

462785_heroa.jpg

By George Ankers
Feb 28, 2015 10:16:00

The Spaniard has made only nine starts since joining the Red Devils from Athletic Bilbao in the summer but accepts that he was never going to walk straight into a starting berth

Manchester United midfielder Ander Herrera refuses to demand a key role in the first team under Louis van Gaal.

After a big-money summer move from Athletic Bilbao, the Spaniard has made as many substitute appearances as he has starts, prompting some fans to question why he does not play more often.

While Herrera is keen to get more game time, however, he accepts that it can take time to make a strong impression on a team of United's stature.

"I want to play as much as possible in Manchester United but I will not arrive here and say 'I have to play'," he told The Daily Telegraph.

"I want to win trophies with United. I want to be a very important player here but maybe only three or four players in the world can do it in five months. The rest of us have to work, improve and learn not only from team-mates but from everyone. I study everything.

"I have MUTV at home and sometimes I watch the legends. I watch Paul Scholes. I watch how he plays a long pass, side to side. Unbelievable. He has character, passion.

"Everyone in the squad I asked about Scholes told me he's quiet, very shy, but he was a leader. He spoke only a bit but, when he spoke, everyone listened to him. That's the most important characteristic in a leader.

"Maybe it was not the best thing to be speaking about him because now everyone is comparing us! Scholes had a much better long pass than me. I have to improve this characteristic.

"I am getting better, scoring goals, getting involved in the box to have chances to score, but I have to learn a lot from Scholes.

"I wish I can play always 90 minutes but sometimes I have to help for only one minute - like against QPR.

"I am conscious of where I am. I am in Manchester United, the club with the biggest history in England. I have to wait for my moment but, when my moment comes, take advantage of it and enjoy it."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

League Cup final 'most important' of my career, says Mourinho

1016682_heroa.jpg

By Dejan Kalinic
Feb 28, 2015 09:48:00

The Portuguese is a two-time Champions League winner but says that the next trophy is always the most significant

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho labelled Sunday's League Cup final against Tottenham as "the most important of my career".

The Portuguese has won the Champions League and multiple Premier League and Serie A titles, as well as La Liga, but says that his focus is always forward.

Chelsea are chasing a treble, the first leg of which could be completed when they face Tottenham at Wembley, and Mourinho is fired up.

"This cup final is the most important of my career," he told the press, "more important than the Champions League finals. More important than all the other cups I've ever played before.

"Do I look stupid? It's just because it's the next one.

"The others are in the club museum. My medals are somewhere at home, I don't know where ... but the most important game of my career is always the next one."

Mourinho will be without midfielder Nemanja Matic for the final, with the Serbian serving a two-game ban after being sent off against Burnley.

The 52-year-old says that the fact that Matic is missing and Ashley Barnes, whose tackle led to the midfielder's reaction and red card, will be available the Clarets' on Saturday is bad for English football.

"We must take care of our football," Mourinho warned. "It's not about how many millions are watching on television. It's about the feeling and respect and credibility, what people think about it.

"Strong credibility ... this is something English football cannot lose. You lose credibility when a player like Matic is suspended and another player can play this weekend.

"I don't think you can have any doubt that all around the world people open their mouths with surprise at how this can be possible."

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Manchester United lack 20-goal-a-season striker, says Van Gaal

1014222_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
Feb 28, 2015 08:22:00

The Dutchman claims that he needs a lethal finish - despite being able to choose between Robin van Persie, Radamel Falcao and Wayne Rooney in his star-studded squad

Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal says that his team are missing a 20-goal-a-season striker.

The Red Devils are currently fourth in the Premier League, a distant 13 points behind leaders Chelsea, and face tough competition to secure a Champions League spot for next season.

Robin van Persie is United's top scorer this season with 10 goals but is now set for a spell out of the team through injury, while Radamel Falcao has so far struggled to adapt to the demands of English football and Wayne Rooney has most regularly been deployed in midfield.

Consequently, Van Gaal believes that United are sorely lacking in the striking department.

"It's true because I cannot deny it," Van Gaal told reporters. "Robin van Persie cannot deny it, Falcao cannot deny it and Rooney is not playing there much anymore but we cannot deny that, at this moment, we don't have a striker who scores 20 goals in the season.”

Van Gaal has come under scrutiny in recent weeks for his side's unconvincing displays but he says that the players must take some of the blame.

"It's not always the fault of the manager when a player is not performing well, I can tell you," he added. "I think not only Di Maria [is struggling], I think all the players.

"My belief, and the belief of the board, is when you do things with your conscience, then it shall be better but, at the end, every player has to do each task with intuition because that is the process.

"Di Maria needs to go through that process and at the end he shall be much better. I know as a manager that he's a very creative player and you can see this from the statistics.

"He needs that space and I give that space but he needs to do also things with his brain and that's a learning process, not only with Di Maria but with all the players."

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Martinez wary of wounded Arsenal

28 February 2015

796398header.jpg

Everton manager Roberto Martinez believes his side will face a stern test when they visit Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday.

Roberto Martinez says Everton face a difficult challenge in Sunday's Premier League trip to Arsenal, despite the two side's contrasting fortunes in Europe in midweek.

Everton defeated Young Boys 3-1 at Goodison Park on Thursday, sealing their place in the UEFA Europa League last 16 with a convincing 7-2 aggregate scoreline.

Arsenal, meanwhile, put in a dismal performance at home to Monaco in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League tie, going down 3-1 to leave themselves with plenty of work to do if they are to reach the quarter-finals.

"I don't think Arsenal will suffer from a psychological setback after what happened in their last game," Martinez said.

"They have incredible experience in these sorts of games.

"It is true that an extra 24 hours in terms of recovery makes a big difference.

"We need to make sure we are fully fit and refreshed. We expect an Arsenal fully focused on trying to carry on the outstanding form they have in the league, and we'll have to be at our very best.

"Arsenal have only had one home league defeat and we know we have a real difficult task in front of us.

"But at the same time, after our result last weekend, we are desperate to perform well and get a good result."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hull and Panathinaikos among four clubs pay FFP fines

27 February 2015

796055header.jpg

Hull City, Panathinaikos, Hapoel Tel-Aviv and Ruch Chorzow have settled UEFA fines for breaching Financial Fair Play regulations.

Hull City and Panathinaikos are among four clubs to have paid UEFA fines for breaching Financial Fair Play regulations, while Liverpool and Sparta Prague have been cleared.

Hull, Panathinaikos, Israeli club Hapoel Tel-Aviv and Polish outfit Ruch Chorzow were all under investigation by the Club Financial Control Body (CFCB).

UEFA revealed on Friday that Hull have coughed up €200,000, with an additional €400,000 to be paid if they fail to achieve measures set by the CFCB.

Panathinaikos have paid an unconditional sum of €200,000 and, like the other three clubs in question, will be subject to ongoing monitoring.

Hapoel and Ruch were fined the same amount as the Greek side.

UEFA revealed that Liverpool and Sparta have satisfied break-even requirements following the submission of additional financial information, but both clubs will still be monitored.

Levski Sofia and Trabzonspor, who both signed settlement agreements last May, complied with the terms set out to them and have exited the settlement regime.

Russian sides Dinamo Moscow and Lokomotiv Moscow are now under investigation after their financial reports for the past three years were submitted.

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers unsure if European exit will be a blessing

28 February 2015

796281header.jpg

A lighter fixture list may prove good for Liverpool after their European exit, but Brendan Rodgers is unsure.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is unsure if his team's UEFA Europa League exit will prove to be a blessing in disguise, but he urged his players to move on from their defeat.

The Premier League side were eliminated by Besiktas on Thursday, suffering a 5-4 penalty shoot-out loss after the tie finished locked at 1-1.

The European exit may allow Liverpool to focus on securing a top-four league finish, while they are also in the FA Cup last eight.

Asked if the elimination was a blessing, Rodgers said it was too early to tell.

"We'll see at the end of the season if that is the case," he said.

"We have got the Champions League position that we want to fight for, a quarter-final of the FA Cup.

"Our objectives are still there to achieve and we will do everything we can to achieve them."

Rodgers was full of praise for a player who featured in central midfield in Turkey in Emre Can.

Can, 21, has featured mostly in a back three this season, but was given his opportunity in midfield against Besiktas.

Rodgers believes Can can develop into a key player at Liverpool.

"I thought he was outstanding in the middle," the Northern Irishman said.

"He is such a top class football player. His pace, his power, his ability to read the game and his ability to take the ball are all so impressive.

"He likes to play but he also like to play in that back three as well and drive forward. He gives us that confidence on the ball.

"He has played three or four positions for me and he is a top-class footballer."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini out to end dismal record at Anfield

28 February 2015

796418header.jpg

Manuel Pellegrini says Manchester City must buck their recent trend of poor results at Anfield when they visit Liverpool on Sunday.

Sunday's Premier League visit to Liverpool is the perfect opportunity for Manchester City to end their poor record at Anfield, according to Manuel Pellegrini.

City's last win at Liverpool came back in 2003 - they have lost seven and drawn five of their 12 visits in all competitions since.

With Chelsea playing in the League Cup final against Tottenham on Sunday, City have the chance to close the gap at the top to two points, but Pellegrini knows it will not be easy.

"Always Liverpool are a strong team with a difficult stadium, but I also think all those statistics - you must change it," he said.

"This year we won at Stoke, and in the last six years we never did that."

Last season, City fought back from 2-0 down to pull level, only for Philippe Coutinho to win it for Liverpool, a result which looked to have tipped the title race in the Anfield club's favour before City ultimately pipped them by two points.

"It was a very special day because it was the day when we remembered what happened with their fans some years ago [the Hillsbrough disaster]. It was a very emotional day," Pellegrini said.

"It was a very close game. We couldn't win for different reasons but this year we go with the same mentality, to try to win and try to be an aggressive and attacking team from the beginning."

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

'If Yaya says it's blue and black, it's blue and black' – Manchester City players react to #TheDress phenomenon

982992_heroa.jpg

Feb 27, 2015 18:12:00

Not even the Premier League's biggest stars can escape the eternal question of whether the world's most talked-about dress is either white and gold or black and blue...

Manchester City's players have joined in the debate that has gripped the world – is 'the dress' blue and black, or white and gold?

Social media has been taken over by a picture of a dress that appears in different colours to different people and the changing rooms of Premier League clubs have also been gripped by the phenomenon.

Yaya Toure, Pablo Zabaleta and Wilfried Bony all see a blue-and-black dress but Samir Nasri says, after a coming out of the shower, it suddenly changed to white and gold.

Take a look at the reaction of the City stars as they try to work out what colour the dress really is…

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal rift reports are complete lies - De Gea

900192_heroa.jpg

By Harry West
Feb 27, 2015 20:44:00

Reports emanating from Spain this week claimed the two men have not spoken in weeks but the goalkeeper insists he has a healthy working relationship with his coach

David de Gea has dismissed speculation that he has a difficult relationship with Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal as "complete lies".

Reports emanating from the Spanish media this week claimed the two do not get on and have not spoken in weeks, with De Gea yet to commit his future to United beyond the end of his current contract, which expires in the summer of 2016.

But while he did not address his contract situation, De Gea is adamant he has a healthy working relationship with Van Gaal.

"Everything that has been written in the press about us not getting on is a lie," the Spaniard told the club's official website. "We both want the best for the club and the team, and the stories are complete lies."

De Gea has been one of the star performers in an underwhelming United side this season and feels he is at the top of his game.

"I think this is the best period of my career," he added. "I am playing the best football that I’ve ever played.

"I’m really enjoying it at the moment and I’m just trying to improve with every training session and every game that goes by, giving 100 per cent and concentrating to the maximum. That’s the way I want to continue."

A 2-1 defeat to Swansea City last weekend has left United in the midst of a hotly-contested top-four race, and De Gea warns United must get back to winning ways when they take on Sunderland on Saturday.

"Yes, we were on a good run of results and winning some important games but, the other day at Swansea, we lost the game," he continued. "I don’t think we deserved to lose, but football can be like that.

"You go to tough away grounds and you lose points sometimes. We have to move on from that as now we face Sunderland and we need to concern ourselves with that test."

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hazard: Mourinho hasn't changed me - he's improved me

980992_heroa.jpg

By Liam Twomey
Feb 28, 2015 08:14:00

The Belgian attacker believes that his Portuguese boss has helped him to become more professional and effective on the pitch, revealing that they enjoy a "special relationship"

Eden Hazard insists that Jose Mourinho has not changed his game fundamentally since returning to Chelsea but says that the Portuguese has made him a better player.

Relations between the two men have not always appeared rosy - Hazard voiced his frustration at Mourinho's counterattacking setup in the wake of last season's Champions League exit to Atletico Madrid, prompting his Portuguese boss to respond by highlighting the Belgian's lack of defensive effort.

However, this season Hazard has been at his imperious best as Chelsea have surged to a five-point lead at the top of the Premier League with just 12 matches to play and, earlier in February, he signed a new contract that is due to keep him at Stamford Bridge until the summer of 2020.

Mourinho has also repeatedly spoken of his affection for Hazard and, in an interview with The Independent, the 24-year-old winger was keen to pay tribute to the positive influence that his coach has had on his performances.

"It's true we do have a special relationship," the Belgian remarked. "What is good about him as a coach is that he lets us play. He lets me play.

"He is not always on at me and I really appreciate that. If it isn't good he says so, if it is good he says so. He is always direct.

"But I don't think he has changed me. He has taught me to become more professional and to be better on the pitch.

"I don't think I have changed my mentality. You can't change that. I am who I am. He has always taught me to get the best out of myself."

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hughes close on signing new Stoke deal

27 February 2015

796000header.jpg

Mark Hughes is on the verge of agreeing a new contract to continue as manager of Stoke City.

Mark Hughes' contract negotiations at Stoke City are close to being completed.

The Welshman arrived at the Britannia Stadium prior to the 2013-14 campaign and led the club to ninth, their highest Premier League finish.

Hughes' existing deal is set to expire at the end of next season, with his stay expected to be extended until 2019.

"We are close, and there is certainly a willingness to get it completed from both sides," he said in a media conference on Friday.

"This is a wonderful club and one that matches the ambitions of myself. There's nothing I can think of to get in the way of that.

"This is a very good club. I'm happy with how it's gone and appreciative of the opportunity to be manager of Stoke City.

"It's not signed yet but hopefully it's dotting the 'i's and crossing the 't's."

Ryan Shawcross, meanwhile, has not featured for Stoke since the end of last month and Hughes says the defender has been given some time off in order to completely recover from a back problem.

"He's having a bit of time away from the club, resting," Hughes said.

"We're reasonably happy but we feel now he would be best served with complete rest rather than aggravating the back. The key is that we try to avoid an operation.

"We don't think we're at the point to make a decision on that. We're hoping this period of rest and recovery will help.

"We aren't putting a time-scale on it because everybody is different. He certainly won't be available for the two forthcoming games [against Hull City and Everton]."

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Coquelin sustains broken nose

1 March 2015

797105header.jpg

Arsenal have been dealt an injury blow with the news Francis Coquelin has a broken nose.

Francis Coquelin suffered a broken nose in Arsenal's 2-0 Premier League win over Everton, manager Arsene Wenger has confirmed.

Coquelin was seen with blood pouring from his nose following a clash of heads with team-mate Olivier Giroud - who scored the opening goal of Sunday's game in the 39th minute - on the hour mark.

The midfielder returned to the field but was forced off just prior to Tomas Rosicky's late second after being struck in the face by the ball, causing his nose to bleed further.

Asked if Coquelin had broken his nose, Wenger replied: "Yes. I don't know whether he will need surgery or not."

Questioned on his decision to keep Coquelin on the pitch after his collision with Giroud, Wenger added: "They [Arsenal's medical staff] told me he was bleeding but that he could stay on.

"The second time he was hit again so after that I had to take him off. I had been told by the medical people that he could stay on.

"He wanted to stay on. He didn't play here for a long time so now that he plays, of course he doesn't want to come off the pitch."