• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Food Review Of Roy Ngerng's Father Carrot Cake Stall

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Source: The Real Singapore

FOOD REVIEW OF BLOGGER ROY NGERNG'S FATHER CARROT CAKE STALL
Post date: 12 Jun 2014 - 1:11pm

Screen%20Shot%202014-06-12%20at%203.09.35%20pm.png

I went in search of the carrot cake seller in Ang Mo Kio who was awarded the title of Makansutra Street Food Master. The stall has no name and is just called Carrot Cake. It's tucked inside a rather nondescript looking coffee shop at Block 107 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 4, called Soon Seng Restaurant.

carrot+cake+2+PICT0017.JPG

I got there slightly past 6 pm and Mr Ngerng was already hard at work frying up plates of chai tau kway. After checking with Mr Ngerng what type of oil he used. I proceeded to place an order for two packets of chai tau kway - one black and one white so that we could all taste the difference between the two versions.

This is how he starts a flat wok of chai tau kway.

carrot+cake+3PICT0019.JPG

Once he's seasoned the carrot cake pieces, he pushes them a side and starts frying individual orders.

carrot+cake+4+PICT0020.JPG

I have to say that he is generous with the salted radish and eggs. With the black version, he is extremely generous with the sweet sauce that he pours over the finished dish.

carrot+cake+5+PICT0027.JPG

I plated up my two packets so that I could sample both versions. Overall, I prefer the dark version. Both were good with a balanced with the fragrance of fried garlic, the saltyness and the crunchiness of radish added depth and individual pieces of chai tau kway that are generously smothered with eggs just blends so well in your mouth.

Just in case you decide to go try the carrot cake, please note that the stall is open daily from 6pm to 11.45 pm only. So have carrot cake for dinner instead of breakfast.

Shirley
*The author blogs at lifes-indulgences.blogspot.com

*Note:
The link "Makansutra Street Food Master" mentioned in the article has been removed by Stomp.
You can find an archive copy here.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
cham lah! PAP bully targeting this old man soon.

Make him a new sign "CPF chai trow kauy"

Source: The Real Singapore

FOOD REVIEW OF BLOGGER ROY NGERNG'S FATHER CARROT CAKE STALL
Post date: 12 Jun 2014 - 1:11pm

Screen%20Shot%202014-06-12%20at%203.09.35%20pm.png

I went in search of the carrot cake seller in Ang Mo Kio who was awarded the title of Makansutra Street Food Master. The stall has no name and is just called Carrot Cake. It's tucked inside a rather nondescript looking coffee shop at Block 107 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 4, called Soon Seng Restaurant.

carrot+cake+2+PICT0017.JPG

I got there slightly past 6 pm and Mr Ngerng was already hard at work frying up plates of chai tau kway. After checking with Mr Ngerng what type of oil he used. I proceeded to place an order for two packets of chai tau kway - one black and one white so that we could all taste the difference between the two versions.

This is how he starts a flat wok of chai tau kway.

carrot+cake+3PICT0019.JPG

Once he's seasoned the carrot cake pieces, he pushes them a side and starts frying individual orders.

carrot+cake+4+PICT0020.JPG

I have to say that he is generous with the salted radish and eggs. With the black version, he is extremely generous with the sweet sauce that he pours over the finished dish.

carrot+cake+5+PICT0027.JPG

I plated up my two packets so that I could sample both versions. Overall, I prefer the dark version. Both were good with a balanced with the fragrance of fried garlic, the saltyness and the crunchiness of radish added depth and individual pieces of chai tau kway that are generously smothered with eggs just blends so well in your mouth.

Just in case you decide to go try the carrot cake, please note that the stall is open daily from 6pm to 11.45 pm only. So have carrot cake for dinner instead of breakfast.

Shirley
*The author blogs at lifes-indulgences.blogspot.com

*Note:
The link "Makansutra Street Food Master" mentioned in the article has been removed by Stomp.
You can find an archive copy here.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how to make carrot cake , it seem like very difficult to do. is it possible to make carrot cake at home?
why i cannot find this in taiwan, china or hong kong.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
waolao... no need to bring his father into the affair.

please hor, roy supporters no need to head down to the stall to give support as the chai tau kway is already very popular. it very sedap and very good business in his own right.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
How can NEA say his stall is not clean? If his stall is not clean, isn't the kopitiam owner that gets the summons? Not the stall operator, right? Or am I wrong. Than its the kopitiam owner's responsibility to clean up or else order the stall operator to clean up.

Its quite unusual to see a carrot cake store sell both the white and dark cake, but it looks damn good. must go to patronize him. hope ISD is not photographing all his customers.

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How can NEA say his stall is not clean? If his stall is not clean, isn't the kopitiam owner that gets the summons? Not the stall operator, right? Or am I wrong. Than its the kopitiam owner's responsibility to clean up or else order the stall operator to clean up.

Its quite unusual to see a carrot cake store sell both the white and dark cake, but it looks damn good. must go to patronize him. hope ISD is not photographing all his customers.

Sad will be the day when even a simple act of buying carrot cake strikes fear of being photographed by ISD.

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal

the guy who wrote the review is IB. it's a signal to give the other pappies the go-ahead to go his stall n make trouble.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

very soon NEA will set up new rule, Carrot cake is banned island wide

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
The proceeds from this stall might soon have to contribute to the judgement that is in the pipeline.

No reason to harm its income.

Yingge

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please the son already get into trouble... Please do not bother the father...

You guys are providing information to harm the father instead of help...:(

Sometime stupid peoples harm others when they thought they are helping...:kma:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Never attempted to make carrot cake at home but have attempted chwee kuey. The reason we don't make this at home is because it is a very cheap dish (almost entirely rice flour) and to make the quantity for just four or six people is bloody lot of work for something so cheap - so it is a better decision to buy it from the hawker outside who makes it in huge quantities and sells them - cheaply to lots of people.

Don't know about PRC and taiwan which I'm sure they have it but presented differently. In Hong Kong, the cantonese called it lor pak kor.

Cheers!

how to make carrot cake , it seem like very difficult to do. is it possible to make carrot cake at home?
why i cannot find this in taiwan, china or hong kong.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Confirm very nice. My wife fav stall. Purposely drive down for it. Didn't know he roy old man. No wonder the duck rice seller said chai tau Kway seller busy when I went to buy but stall never open a couple weeks ago.