• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Foreign Talents? - Please Contribute

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td height="8">
</td></tr> <tr><td class="msgtxt">http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/st...75697,00.html?

Bloody Thursday
'He was upset colleague got more overtime'
China national arrested on suspicion of murdering colleague
By Arul John

September 06, 2008

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_AJSTAB05-YE2.jpg

MURDER WEAPON?: (Above) A knife, believed to be the murder weapon, was found on the second-storey parapet. The victim had suffered stab wounds. PICTURE: SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS

FAVOURITISM, jealousy, overtime money. Two powerful emotions combined with financial survival is likely to have led to fury and a fatal stabbing.

A 36-year-old China national allegedly stabbed his 28-year-old colleague to death while the younger man was asleep.

He then went to their office nearby and set it on fire. He was arrested there and is expected to be charged in court today for murder.

Both men are Chinese nationals who work for Ideal Printing & Publishing Pte Ltd. The firm, which prints phone cards and other documents, is at Block 203, Henderson Road.

The firm's Singaporean owner, who did not want to give his name, told The New Paper that the suspect was a contract printer, as was the dead man. It is not known how long both had been working here.

The firm's owner said: 'They came from the same province in China and lived together. One man was upset over why the other man was offered to do more overtime than he was.

'But I thought the other man got more overtime duties as he was more hardworking. This morning, I learned that the unhappy man stabbed the other man and then fled to the office.'

Caught

The owner said all the workers had their own keys to the office and the suspect probably used his to get inside.

'I was told that he then pushed aside another colleague inside the office at the time and used some chemicals to set some of our computers on fire,' he said.

'When the police came, he ran to the rooftop but was soon caught.'

The owner said he was informed of the incident at about 7.30am and rushed to the scene.

'When I reached the building, I saw many people standing downstairs. When I went upstairs, I saw that the floor of my office and those of the other offices on the same floor were wet,' he said.

The boss said only his computers were damaged. He said he did not know when he could re-open for business.

The suspect shared a flat with the victim and at least four other colleagues from China at Block 94, Henderson Road.

The other tenants were believed to be asleep in their 10th floor unit when the alleged killing took place. One of them later called the police at 6.45am.

Neighbours said they did not hear any commotion before the discovery of the body.

The dead man, clad in a singlet and shorts, was lying on the floor in a room.

He suffered stab wounds and was pronounced dead at 7am.

A knife, believed to be the murder weapon, was found on the second-storey parapet.

Police spokesman Mohd Razif said: 'During the course of our investigations, we managed to find out who the suspect was.

'We received a call at 7.50am that there was a fire at Block 203, Henderson Road.'

He said that police officers spotted the suspect there and arrested him.

A spokesman for the Singapore Civil Defence Force said the fire was extinguished by the building's sprinklers and their firefighters used hose reels to lower the temperature of the surroundings.

Mr Mohd Suffian Mustapha Kamal, 31, director of a private ambulance firm on the fourth storey, said: 'When I came out of my office at 7.45am, I smelt burning rubber and the floor was wet.

'When I saw fire engines and an ambulance outside, I told the staff to evacuate the building.'

Staff members of Ideal Printing and the other offices on the same floor were seen removing water on their floors and carpets later.

Mr Andy Poh, 27, a logistics executive at one of the offices, said the water level rose to nearly 5cm and took nearly two hours to subside.</td></tr></tbody></table>

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
4 die after lorry hits trailer

ST_IMAGES_JLWORKERS19_FIN.jpg

HE HAD stopped his trailer at the side of the road for forty winks, and was just drifting off when the 12m-long vehicle wobbled.
Mr Shukor Ayub thought nothing of it, but seconds later, a man appeared at his window, rapping furiously.

Startled awake, he climbed out, and saw carnage.

A lorry ferrying 10 foreign workers had smashed into the back of his massive 22-wheeler. Four men were killed, six others injured.

'I didn't even realise it until someone came and told me,' said the stunned 30-year-old Malaysian.

The only damage to the trailer was a loose wheel.

But the front of the lorry was so badly crumpled, rescuers had to use a hydraulic cutter and two winches to free the body of the front-seat passenger.

The accident, which happened in Gul Road in Tuas at about 4am yesterday, is believed to be the worst so far this year.

Indian worker V. Varatharajan, 23, survived the crash.

He said that the day had started as usual for the group, who were minutes away from their workplace at a shipyard at the end of Gul Road at the time.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_378714.html

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
4 die after lorry hits trailer - It is the fault of Foreign worker who drives the lorry dangerously.

http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,202619,00.html

It's the fault of foreign drivers

Our readers claim these drivers are reckless and cause many accidents
By Amanda Yong

May 21, 2009

BLAME it on the drivers.

CRUSHED: The lorry that was in the accident on Monday that killed four foreign workers.

They weave in and out of lanes, ignore traffic rules and have no regard for road safety.

Or so claim an overwhelming majority of readers who called or wrote in reacting to yesterday's report on an accident that killed four foreign workers on Gul Road early Monday morning.

The readers' bone of contention: Foreign drivers - and whether more needs to be done to ensure that they are qualified to drive on Singapore roads.

In the accident, a lorry driven by a foreign worker rammed into a parked trailer. Three of the four who died, along with five others who were injured, were riding in the back of the lorry. The workers - including the driver - were from India and Bangladesh.

The problem lies with foreign drivers at the wheel of lorries transporting their fellow foreign workers, said 23 of 27 readers who e-mailed or called The New Paper yesterday.

Reader Elangovan, 44, a lorry driver for 15 years, disclosed a little-known fact: That all it takes for a foreign worker to qualify to drive in Singapore is to pass the basic theory test. He found out from mixing with foreign drivers at work that many obtain their driving licences in their home countries.

'They don't need to sit for the practical driving test here. So at the end of the day, we don't know whether they actually know how to drive,' he said.

He felt that many drivers from foreign countries are inexperienced. 'When they drive back home, they're reckless. There are no signboards, no regulations, so when they come here they get confused.'

Confirmation with traffic police

A check with the traffic police website confirmed what Mr Elangovan said, at least for drivers of Class 3 and 3A vehicles. This comprises cars with an unladen weight of up to 3,000kg, and motor tractors and other motor vehicles with an unladen weight of up to 2,500kg.

The lorry involved in Monday's accident would fall under this classification.

But a foreigner holding a foreign licence of Class 4 and above is subject to more stringent requirements - he will have to 'go through training and a prescribed practical test... No direct conversion is granted for these heavy vehicle licences', according to the traffic police website.

Another Singaporean lorry driver, Mr S Sundarajan Rajan, called for stronger action against errant drivers.

He said in an e-mail: 'I think it's not really the mode of transport that is the issue, it's the drivers. Either the traffic police have to scrutinise these people before issuing them the licence or not issue them one at all.'

Mr Rehmat Kiwon, 54, a lorry driver with 35 years of experience and who works in the Jurong area, said: 'These drivers are reckless. They never give way and look like they are racing each other. I don't know what they're chasing.'

One reader recalled a close shave a month ago when his car escaped with a bent side mirror after a lorry driven by a foreign worker brushed against his car.

Mr Chia K S, 58, a chauffeur, said: 'The lorry overtook my car without signalling. Luckily I braked in time.'

There were foreign workers at the back of the lorry at the time. Mr Chia said he knew the driver was a foreigner because he took down the man's particulars for claims on his motor insurance.

A dormitory supervisor who gave his name as Mr Ramasamy, 59, is concerned about the lorries ferrying foreign workers, even in the wee hours of the morning, at Tuas where he works.

He said: 'I usually start work at 3am, but I am scared to drive there (to his Tuas workplace) because they (the lorry drivers) always speed. (The authorities) shouldn't give licences to these foreigners.'

Teacher Nur Mawarni, 24, said: 'There needs to be stricter imposition and reinforcement of traffic rules. Maybe more traffic police officers should be deployed to ensure that drivers ferrying workers do not exceed the 60kmh speed limit.

'In the meantime, we need to begin work to better protect these workers rather than wait for more to lose their lives.'

Others said the companies should also be held responsible.

Technician V Ramasamy wrote in an e-mail: '(the company) should... ensure safe transportation for the workers by providing 'safe' drivers.'

But another reader, who only gave his name as bobhairi, said he believed that regardless of road safety rules, 'if the drivers (have) bad attitude on the road, no matter (whether) you take a car, bus or any other (type of transport), accidents will happen.'

He added: 'The Government can make (a) thousand regulations, (but) I believe accidents will happen. It all depends on the drivers...'

Mr Elangovan agreed. 'When I carry 25 people with me, I always tell myself that these people are my responsibility. At the end of the day, even if you don't die, somebody else dies.'

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp090522_524.shtml

公司董事被控扯衣看女生胸部

(2009-05-22)

在本地工作的一名澳洲男子,涉嫌在新年倒数活动后拉一名少女的上衣和探头看她的胸部,昨天被 控上法庭。
  被告纽林·帕特里克(42岁)面对一项蓄意侮辱女性控状,指他在今年1月1日凌晨3时左右,在克拉码头 一家酒廊外用手拉一名19岁少女的上衣,还看她的胸部。

据知,被告是一家软件公司董事,受害人则是一名学生。

被告准备聘请律师,目前以5000元保释在外。

案展本月28日过堂。

An Australian director of a software company here was charged yesterday for molesting a student during last year's New Year countdown at Clarke Quay.

Nolan Patrick (rough transliteration), 42, grabbed at the 19-year-old's blouse to look at her breasts

He is out on bail of $5,000

Date of hearing is set for May 28.

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
June 8, 2009

Serial housebreaker caught

POLICE have caught a man believed to be responsible for a spate of break-ins in the Hougang and Sengkang housing estates.

The suspect, a 27-year-old Chinese national, was arrested after an off-duty police trainee spotted him behaving suspiciously at a corridor in Block 371, Hougang St 31.

Police national serviceman trainee Arrun Kumaar Marriappan, who lives opposite the block, spotted the suspect meddling with the window panel of a unit.

He immediately reported the incident, and officers from the Ang Mo Kio Police Division responded by cordoning off the escape routes on arrival.

The cornered suspect tried to escape by leaping over the parapet, but was arrested by the officers standing guard on the ground level.

In his attempt to evade capture, the suspect sustained injuries on his left leg and right elbow. He was sent to hospital for treatment.

Police managed to recover cash of various currencies amounting to about $11,000 as well as jewellery and other valuables with an estimated value of about $3,000 from a hotel room in Geylang where the suspect was staying.

Follow-up investigations also revealed that the suspect was believed to be responsible for a spate of break-ins in the Sengkang housing estate.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_387578.html

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
China national demanded for full refund of handphone value due to inadequate repair service. Another joined in and claimed that the shop operates in a dishonest manner. Salesperson was slapped for retorting the claim. A fight broke out between the men and staff.

珍珠坊闹剧 男人掴女人

日期:08/06/2009新闻来源:联合晚报记者:吴绍君

据了解,事发前,一名身穿绿色上衣,30来岁的中国籍男子拿着手机到店里修理。修理之后,男子仍声称手机有问题。

手机店的老板陈先生(33岁)说:“男子说手机不能用,我的女店员建议退一半的钱给他,但是他却要求退全数款项。后来,一个身穿橙色上衣的中国籍男子路过,听到他们两人的对话,突然凑上前帮腔。”

http://news.omy.sg/News/Local+News/Story/OMYStory200906081518-66478.html

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wednesday June 10, 2009

Businessman with police crest on car held with drugs

JOHOR BARU: A 45-year-old businessman who had been driving around the city in a luxury car with police insignia and emblems to hoodwink authorities, was arrested – and with drugs in his car.

The man is also on the wanted list for a robbery case here recently.

The Malaysian, with permanent residence status in Singapore and Indonesia, was nabbed near a hotel in Stulang Laut at 5.45pm several days ago.

The man was detained after police found him behaving suspiciously.

Upon checking his Audi Twin Turbo, which had Singaporean number plates, they found the drugs as well as several logos and stickers belonging to the police and other government departments.

It is learnt that the police believed the suspect might have been using the insignia and stickers to fool the authorities.

They are also investigating if he is linked to any drug syndicate in the city. Johor Baru (South) OCPD Asst Comm Zainuddin Yaakob confirmed his arrest.

“We are also investigating on how he obtained all the paraphernalia used by the police,” he said.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/6/10/nation/4087815&sec=nation

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
getMediumSizePhoto.do

getArticlePhoto.do

“He was at the PC show with his girlfriend.

“Suddenly, I felt a very strong push from him by his elbow while taking a look at a Sony laptop.

“As the show was not crowded as always on Friday evening, I find it strange that there is also this kind of ugly inconsiderate people pushing other people.

“After I felt his hard push, I turned around I saw both of them smiling to each other for their big deed.”

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
viet.jpg

June 18, 2009
Cambodian youth gets 3 mths <!--10 min-->
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr></tr> <tr> </tr> <!-- headline one : start --> <tr> </tr> <!-- headline one : end --> <!-- Author --> <tr><td colspan="2" class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold">By Khushwant Singh </td></tr></tbody></table>
CAMBODIAN CHHUON Ratana was sent here by his father to study management in 2006 but he ended up outraging the modesty of two women last May.
The 20-year-old was jailed for three months on Thursday.
District Judge Jill Tan said that granting a conditional discharge to the 20-year-old would not be appropriate as Chhuon had been belligerent and had committed the second and more serious offence in spite of being confronted by his first victim.
Noting that each woman had received $8,000 in compensation, Judge Tan said a short spell in jail would teach Chhuon not to break the law again.
His lawyer Chia Boon Teck had told the court that whatever punishment Chhuon received here, his elders in Cambodia would mete out punishment according to traditional Cambodian practices, which in this case, would include Ratana having to become a monk for six months to a year.
As such, it would be inexpedient to jail Chhuon, he said.
But Judge Tan felt that a Singapore court should punish Chhuon for his loutish behaviour.
He had pleaded guilty last month to squeezing the breasts of two women at the Arena club in Clarke Quay at 3.30am on May 11 last year.
On his way to the toilet, he approached his first victim and asked for her name while holding her shoulders. When she struggled, he grabbed her breasts. The victim sought help from her friends at the club who confronted Ratana.
He initially denied it before saying: 'I did it. So what?'. He then slipped his hand under the brassiere of a second woman and squeezed her breast.
The club bouncers soon appeared but Ratana was not cowed, telling them: 'So what? I am a foreigner.'
Mr Chia said Chhuon's father was counting heavily on Ratana to take over the family's business and the father had lost much face following his panic-stricken appeal to the Cambodian authorities for help.

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
b4-1.jpg

Man "cleared" of sabotage

A COMPUTER programmer accused of sabotaging his former company's computer systems received the best birthday present on Wednesday - two days short of his 37th birthday. He was acquitted of the criminal charges, while a civil lawsuit was settled out of court.

Two years after the start of his run-ins with the law, Mr Thangavelu Boopathiraja was acquitted of two charges of making illegal modifications to a computer system, an offence under the Computer Misuse Act.

The prosecution, said District Judge Thian Yee Sze, had 'not satisfied the burden of proof beyond reasonable doubt'. Mr Boopathiraja could have been jailed up to three years and fined up to $10,000.

The case began two years ago when Mr Boopathiraja's former employer, SMC Marine Services, discovered that someone had installed a password on a computer system on two of its tugboats. This resulted in the company being unable to access the system, which was used to keeps tabs on the movement of the boats and prevent fuel pilferage.

SMC suspected that Mr Boopathiraja, the key person behind the development of the monitoring system, was the culprit, as he had recently quit and started a new company selling a similar tracking system.

SMC subsequently hired lawyers to act against Mr Boopathiraja, and also sued him for damages. Mr Boopathiraja's lawyers, from Rodyk and Davidson, argued that the password had not been set by him.

In its written closing arguments, Rodyk said SMC had simply 'trumped up charges' because it wanted to get back at Mr Boopathiraja for quitting and then setting up a competing business.

In any event, said Rodyk, SMC possessed only circumstantial evidence to back up its claims, and as such did not have 'a case that meets the standard of proof in criminal proceedings, beyond a reasonable doubt'.

It cited examples like how SMC's computer forensics expert had performed analysis on files pulled from a USB-storage device that was not put into evidence. This, Rodyk said, meant that the evidence submitted could have been tampered with and was thus unreliable.

Mr Boopathiraja, a former Indian national who is now a Singaporean, told The Straits Times after the verdict that he was 'innocent to begin with.' 'I'm happy to move on,' he added.

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
getMediumSizePhoto.do

STOMPer Ester suspects that this foreigner was cheating passers-by of their money at CityLink Mall, by pretending to collect donations for a children's home in the Philippines.

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
22 June 2009

Arrest of Serial Pickpocket Thief

Police have arrested a 29-year-old Filipino man believed to be responsible for several cases of pickpocketing in VivoCity and IKEA Building. The arrest was made possible after an alert security officer, Mr Tang Eng Beng, assisted to detain the suspect yesterday afternoon.

On 18 Jun 2009 at about 8.08 pm, Police received report of a case of theft from person at IKEA Building, Alexandra Road. The victim had left her handbag unattended and discovered it missing shortly after. The culprit was subsequently identified through the CCTV's footage.

On 20 Jun 2009 at 2.05 pm, the suspect returned to IKEA Building and stole a wallet from a male victim. Unknown to him, his crime was observed by Mr Tang who had earlier recognised him from the CCTV footage. The suspect was immediately detained by Mr Tang.

Follow-up investigations revealed that the suspect was believed to be responsible for similar cases of theft in VivoCity. He will be charged on 22 Jun 2009 for Theft under Section 379 of the Penal Code Chapter 224, which carries a maximum penalty of three years’ imprisonment, or with fine or both.

Commander of Clementi Police Division HQ, Deputy Assistant Commissioner (DAC) of Police Ng Yeow Boon, commended Mr Tang for his vigilance and quick action which led to the arrest of the suspect. DAC Ng would also like to take the opportunity to remind members of public to take care of their personal belongings and to be wary of suspicious characters.

http://www.spf.gov.sg/mic/2009/090622_serial_pickpocket.htm

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
June 23, 2009

Swim attire sparked row

By Khushwant Singh

TWO lifeguards noticed a woman in wrong attire approaching the pool and tried to pass the buck.

Each told the other to turn her away.

This started them quarrelling and it ended with one attacking the other with a small knife.

Zhu Lijun, 26, was on Tuesday jailed for three months.

He pleaded guilty to using a knife with a 10cm blade on 25-year-old Chi Xiang.

He could have been jailed for up to a year and fined up to $5,000.

A district court heard that both men were on duty on the afternoon of May 1 this year at the Sengkang Sports and Recreation Centre in Anchorvale Road.

They quarrelled about the wrongly-attired swimmer at 3pm and Zhu went home soon after that when his shift ended.

But he returned with two knives in a bag as he wanted to settle the matter.

A third lifeguard, Ms Sum Chew Yin, 53, tried to act as peacemaker and got both men to discuss the matter in the locker room.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_394275.html

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
Police arrest 46-year-old man in connection with murder at Queen's Close
By Jessica Yeo, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 26 June 2009 1632 hrs

SINGAPORE : Police have arrested a male Chinese national in connection with a murder case at Queen's Close on Friday morning.

A 41-year-old Chinese woman was found dead in a unit at Blk 23B Queen's Close at 11.10am.

The 46-year-old man, believed to be the ex-husband of the deceased, is currently helping Police with investigations.

Anyone with information can call the Police hotline at 1800-255 0000. - CNA/ms

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/438679/1/.html

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
Man jailed for threatening, whipping wife

Fri, Jun 26, 2009
The Straits Times

WHEN an American told his Singaporean wife he was leaving her, she neither responded nor begged him to stay.

Livid, William Joseph McClelland, a 50-year-old nutritionist, went on a rampage, whipping and threatening her. His May 25 outburst yesterday landed him a total of 12 weeks in jail for causing hurt and using criminal intimidation.

A Community Court heard that he raised a chair to hit Madam Kuppammal Rani Panchanathan, 38, who ran into a room in their Chua Chu Kang home and crouched in a corner, cowering in terror.

http://www.asiaone.com/News/the+Straits+Times/Story/A1Story20090626-150984.html

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
ln-sg-2.jpg

June 24, 2009

2 weeks' jail for PR applicant
Has appealed as he fears a jail term would mean repatriation

By Khushwant Singh

A CONSTRUCTION worker, who rose to become the boss of two building firms within seven years, wanted so desperately to become a Permanent Resident (PR), he broke the rules.

Lin Shuliang was on Wednesday jailed for two weeks for lying about his educational qualifications in his applications.

The 38-year-old Chinese national had pleaded guilty on June 1.

A district court heard that he had claimed to have graduated from the Fuqing San Shan Middle School in Fujian province in China.

He even attached his school-leaving certificate but a check by the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) revealed it was a fake.

The judge could have fined him up to $4,000 or jailed him for up to a year or imposed a fine and a jail term. Lin is appealing against the sentence.

His lawyer Chia Boon Teck had earlier asked District Judge Jasbendar Kaur not to impose a jail term as Lin was very worried that the chances of being repatriated would be much higher if he receives a jail sentence than if he was just fined.

'As Lin is the only person with full control of the operations, he would be forced to wind up his successful business if he is jailed for a long period or repatriated,' said the lawyer.

One of his two companies, Ying Cheng Construction, generated a net profit in excess of $1 million in the last fiscal year, the lawyer added.

Lin is currently involved as a sub-contractor in 10 projects. These include the Singapore Art School and the building of several condominiums and residencies.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_394785.html