• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Blogger-PM case will be heard in court

Callisto

Alfrescian
Loyal

The case in two minutes: Lee Hsien Loong vs Roy Ngerng

royngerng030715e.jpg

Roy Ngerng (centre, right) speaking to reporters outside the Supreme Court building. Roy Ngerng (centre, right) speaking to reporters outside the Supreme Court building.PHOTO: EPA

Published Jul 3, 2015, 7:02 am SGT
Walter Sim

SINGAPORE - A High Court hearing to assess the sum of damages that blogger Roy Ngerng, 34, is to pay Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong for defamation enters its third day today. Here is a brief rundown of the case, which is the first defamation suit by a political leader for online postings:

What the case is about

A post by Mr Ngerng, who blogs on The Heart Truths, in May last year has been found by the High Court to be defamatory to Mr Lee in its suggestion that he had misappropriated Singaporeans' Central Provident Fund (CPF) savings. The blogger had likened Mr Lee to City Harvest Church leaders facing prosecution for alleged misuse of $50 million in church funds.

What the current hearing is about

Mr Lee's lawyers, led by Senior Counsel Davinder Singh, are arguing for a very high award of aggravated damages in the hearing before Justice Lee Seiu Kin, given Mr Ngerng's egregious and malicious actions and continued attacks on Mr Lee.

What PM's lawyers have argued

Mr Singh has accused Mr Ngerng of not only being insincere in his repeated apologies to Mr Lee for having defamed him, but also of exploiting the lawsuit to score political points and get more people to read his blog. Even after receiving a lawyer's letter of demand, the blogger had made "purely tactical" moves in deliberately and repeatedly perpetuating the libel, he said. And when caught out, Mr Ngerng would apologise, he added.

What Roy Ngerng is saying

Describing himself as an "unsung, part-time blogger" to show that his blog had low reach, credibility and visibility, Mr Ngerng says his blog would have hardly dented Mr Lee's reputation. He also insists that his numerous apologies to Mr Lee were sincere and unreserved.

What happens today

Mr Ngerng will return to the witness stand to be cross-examined by Mr Singh. After which, he will be allowed to have his say.

What the next step is

The judge will likely ask both parties to make submissions on their respective cases, and reserve his decision for a later date.

Callisto

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ngerng breaks down in court, claims persecution

ST_20150704_ROY04_1479195.jpg

Mr Roy Ngerng leaving the Supreme Court with his father (left) yesterday, the last day of the three-day hearing to assess the amount of damages the blogger has to pay PM Lee.ST PHOTO: MARK CHEONG

Published Jul 4, 2015, 5:50 am SGT

Reaction follows suggestions he was being deceitful despite his apologies to PM Lee

Walter Sim
Rachel Au-Yong

Blogger Roy Ngerng broke down in tears yesterday, declaring he was being persecuted for casting doubts about the management of Central Provident Fund (CPF) savings.

He also claimed he was being silenced by the Government.

Mr Ngerng's emotional reaction in the High Court came as Senior Counsel Davinder Singh suggested he was being deceitful and belligerent in his actions despite his repeated apologies for defaming Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

Mr Singh, who is representing Mr Lee, pointed out that Mr Ngerng had - as recently as last month - approached international legal organisations to champion his case and made damaging posts on his blog The Heart Truths.

The blogger had submitted to the High Court statements from the International Commission of Jurists and Centre for International Law Philippines. In doing so, Mr Singh said, Mr Ngerng was trying to imply that "if (the court) were to award high damages it would run afoul of international human rights law, and would be generating an atmosphere of intimidation and is a form of judicial harassment".

The court also heard Mr Ngerng had received £5,000 (S$10,500) from a London-based organisation for the case.

On Ngerng's claims that he was persecuted

Extract of an exchange in the High Court yesterday when Senior Counsel Davinder Singh (DS) cross-examined Roy Ngerng (RN):

Davinder Singh: You suggest the plaintiff sued you in retaliation for you raising questions about CPF, correct? ...I'm going to read (from your blog post):"...Very soon I won't be able to speak up anymore."
(Did you know) this was false?

Roy Ngerng: I do not think it's false. I'm actually very worried that after today, I'm not able to speak up because I'm not sure what else you will do. That's why I have been rushing to put up a lot of my blog posts in the last one, two months because I'm afraid I might never be able to speak up on my blog anymore. This is something I believe... It doesn't matter if you believe it or not.

DS: But you know that in his judgment, his Honour has held that you can speak up on CPF matters.

RN: Let me be honest...

DS: No, did you or did you not know that ... Yes or no?

RN: Yes, your Honour has, but...

DS: Yes, but despite that...

RN: Let us be honest. (he breaks down) We all know that just because I spoke up about the CPF, I am being persecuted. It is painful when you try to advocate to the Government to be transparent about the CPF and the PM says he has been waiting to sue you...

I have always advocated to the Government and you know it. But you are trying to... say what I said about Government was about the PM. That is not true. It has never been true. I do not hate the PM, and I sincerely apologise to him.

But I believe we need to speak up for the people because otherwise who else will?

The PAP will not take care of the people and that has always been my concern. It is not because I want to defame the PM. I've been sincere and I want to apologise to the PM.

But what I say about the Government and about the CPF is a completely separate thing and that is what my blog has always been about.

These disclosures were made yesterday, the final day of a three-day hearing to assess the damages the blogger has to pay Mr Lee for defaming him in a May 2014 blog post. It had suggested the Prime Minister had misappropriated CPF savings.

Mr Ngerng, 34, had deleted the libellous post and apologised when he got a lawyer's letter.

But Mr Singh, in arguing for aggravated damages, highlighted how his actions since then had displayed a deep and intense malice towards Mr Lee.

He singled out Mr Ngerng's submission of the statements from the two international organisations, and charged that the blogger had chosen to "use foreign organisations to campaign against Singapore, and to use this court process to advertise that campaign".

Mr Ngerng, choking up and pulling out a wad of tissues, said all he wanted to show was the potential chilling effect the lawsuit had on freedom of speech. Despite a court ruling that he was still allowed to speak on CPF matters, he said: "Let us be honest. We all know that just because I spoke up about the CPF, I am being persecuted."

He also teared up when he said he is depending on his parents after losing his job last year. But he still had access to other funds, Mr Singh said, asking him about the $110,000 raised via crowdfunding, along with the monies from London-based Media Legal Defence Initiative, which gives legal help to journalists and bloggers worldwide.

The blogger is also far from repentant despite his repeated apologies, Mr Singh said, pointing to blog posts last month that cast aspersions on the judiciary, and alleged "abuse of power" by the People's Action Party.

Mr Ngerng insisted his posts were being read out of context, saying he had raised only what he felt were genuine questions about sociopolitical issues in Singapore.

Mr Singh said Mr Ngerng had been lying in a bid to get away with lower damages: "You would say whatever is convenient to get your way, (like) if you had to say sorry, even if (it was) not genuine."

He also argued Mr Ngerng lied in his sworn affidavits, broke his promises to Mr Lee, and tried to suppress the number of views on his blog to create an impression that the defamatory post was not well-read.

Mr Ngerng had said the post "only garnered 9,122 views" when it was taken down. But this, Mr Singh pointed out, failed to account for the views of the article on the blog's home page - where it could be read in its entirety. Readership spiked after Mr Ngerng posted Mr Lee's demand letter on his blog on May 19, 2014 - two days before he apologised and removed the offensive blog post, said Mr Singh. All in, the number of views was about 95,000.

All these showed the blogger has not only "shown no remorse, contrition or sincerity", but also went to court "to give a completely false impression, purely to try to avoid or reduce damages", said Mr Singh.

Justice Lee Seiu Kin asked both parties to make written submissions on their respective cases by Aug 31, with his decision reserved for a later date.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ngerng breaks down in court, claims persecution

ST_20150704_ROY04_1479195.jpg

Mr Roy Ngerng leaving the Supreme Court with his father (left) yesterday, the last day of the three-day hearing to assess the amount of damages the blogger has to pay PM Lee.ST PHOTO: MARK CHEONG

Published Jul 4, 2015, 5:50 am SGT

Reaction follows suggestions he was being deceitful despite his apologies to PM Lee

Walter Sim
Rachel Au-Yong

Blogger Roy Ngerng broke down in tears yesterday, declaring he was being persecuted for casting doubts about the management of Central Provident Fund (CPF) savings.

He also claimed he was being silenced by the Government.

Mr Ngerng's emotional reaction in the High Court came as Senior Counsel Davinder Singh suggested he was being deceitful and belligerent in his actions despite his repeated apologies for defaming Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

Mr Singh, who is representing Mr Lee, pointed out that Mr Ngerng had - as recently as last month - approached international legal organisations to champion his case and made damaging posts on his blog The Heart Truths.

The blogger had submitted to the High Court statements from the International Commission of Jurists and Centre for International Law Philippines. In doing so, Mr Singh said, Mr Ngerng was trying to imply that "if (the court) were to award high damages it would run afoul of international human rights law, and would be generating an atmosphere of intimidation and is a form of judicial harassment".

The court also heard Mr Ngerng had received £5,000 (S$10,500) from a London-based organisation for the case.

On Ngerng's claims that he was persecuted

Extract of an exchange in the High Court yesterday when Senior Counsel Davinder Singh (DS) cross-examined Roy Ngerng (RN):

Davinder Singh: You suggest the plaintiff sued you in retaliation for you raising questions about CPF, correct? ...I'm going to read (from your blog post):"...Very soon I won't be able to speak up anymore."
(Did you know) this was false?

Roy Ngerng: I do not think it's false. I'm actually very worried that after today, I'm not able to speak up because I'm not sure what else you will do. That's why I have been rushing to put up a lot of my blog posts in the last one, two months because I'm afraid I might never be able to speak up on my blog anymore. This is something I believe... It doesn't matter if you believe it or not.

DS: But you know that in his judgment, his Honour has held that you can speak up on CPF matters.

RN: Let me be honest...

DS: No, did you or did you not know that ... Yes or no?

RN: Yes, your Honour has, but...

DS: Yes, but despite that...

RN: Let us be honest. (he breaks down) We all know that just because I spoke up about the CPF, I am being persecuted. It is painful when you try to advocate to the Government to be transparent about the CPF and the PM says he has been waiting to sue you...

I have always advocated to the Government and you know it. But you are trying to... say what I said about Government was about the PM. That is not true. It has never been true. I do not hate the PM, and I sincerely apologise to him.

But I believe we need to speak up for the people because otherwise who else will?

The PAP will not take care of the people and that has always been my concern. It is not because I want to defame the PM. I've been sincere and I want to apologise to the PM.

But what I say about the Government and about the CPF is a completely separate thing and that is what my blog has always been about.

These disclosures were made yesterday, the final day of a three-day hearing to assess the damages the blogger has to pay Mr Lee for defaming him in a May 2014 blog post. It had suggested the Prime Minister had misappropriated CPF savings.

Mr Ngerng, 34, had deleted the libellous post and apologised when he got a lawyer's letter.

But Mr Singh, in arguing for aggravated damages, highlighted how his actions since then had displayed a deep and intense malice towards Mr Lee.

He singled out Mr Ngerng's submission of the statements from the two international organisations, and charged that the blogger had chosen to "use foreign organisations to campaign against Singapore, and to use this court process to advertise that campaign".

Mr Ngerng, choking up and pulling out a wad of tissues, said all he wanted to show was the potential chilling effect the lawsuit had on freedom of speech. Despite a court ruling that he was still allowed to speak on CPF matters, he said: "Let us be honest. We all know that just because I spoke up about the CPF, I am being persecuted."

He also teared up when he said he is depending on his parents after losing his job last year. But he still had access to other funds, Mr Singh said, asking him about the $110,000 raised via crowdfunding, along with the monies from London-based Media Legal Defence Initiative, which gives legal help to journalists and bloggers worldwide.

The blogger is also far from repentant despite his repeated apologies, Mr Singh said, pointing to blog posts last month that cast aspersions on the judiciary, and alleged "abuse of power" by the People's Action Party.

Mr Ngerng insisted his posts were being read out of context, saying he had raised only what he felt were genuine questions about sociopolitical issues in Singapore.

Mr Singh said Mr Ngerng had been lying in a bid to get away with lower damages: "You would say whatever is convenient to get your way, (like) if you had to say sorry, even if (it was) not genuine."

He also argued Mr Ngerng lied in his sworn affidavits, broke his promises to Mr Lee, and tried to suppress the number of views on his blog to create an impression that the defamatory post was not well-read.

Mr Ngerng had said the post "only garnered 9,122 views" when it was taken down. But this, Mr Singh pointed out, failed to account for the views of the article on the blog's home page - where it could be read in its entirety. Readership spiked after Mr Ngerng posted Mr Lee's demand letter on his blog on May 19, 2014 - two days before he apologised and removed the offensive blog post, said Mr Singh. All in, the number of views was about 95,000.

All these showed the blogger has not only "shown no remorse, contrition or sincerity", but also went to court "to give a completely false impression, purely to try to avoid or reduce damages", said Mr Singh.

Justice Lee Seiu Kin asked both parties to make written submissions on their respective cases by Aug 31, with his decision reserved for a later date.

Roy laid it out clearly his case that it was persecution because of his refusal to curb his activism on the CPF issue. Only a courageous judge would dare to side with him.
Evil Bayi had alluded in his cross examination that it was Roy's refusal to stop talking about the CPF issue that warrants the highest penalty possible.

The taking down of the offending post was not sufficient. Most Powerful Man in sinkapore wanted Roy to stop comment and criticising. He had ISD tracked him. That's why Most Powerful Man knew that Roy did not take down the offending blog and made it private for 4 person to advise Roy. (Note: Using public resources for personal purpose ...that is corruption).

Most Powerful Man should get nothing. Roy apologized and shut down the offending article to everyone except for people whom he consult with. That was the demand and it was met. Most Powerful Man kept shifting the goalposts and made uncountable allegations against Roy. Roy could only entertain the ridiculous to a limit. After that, it is to hell with the Most Powerful Man.

Is the judge courageous to rule without fearing the MOST POWERFUL MAN?

Prodigy

Alfrescian
Loyal

Roy Ngerng pleads guilty, fined $1,900 for role in Hong Lim Park protest last Sept

roy1.jpg

Roy Ngerng was fined $1,900 after pleading guilty to two charges related to a Hong Lim Park protest rally on Sept 27, 2014. ST PHOTO: WONG KWAI CHOW

Published Oct 7, 2015, 11:09 am SGT
Updated Oct 7, 2015, 12:30 pm

Walter Sim

SINGAPORE - Blogger Roy Ngerng Yi Ling on Wednesday (Oct 7) pleaded guilty to co-organising without approval a Hong Lim Park protest rally on Sept 27 last year, and for being a public nuisance.

He was fined a total of $1,900 - $400 for being a public nuisance, $1,500 for organising the rally without approval - by District Judge Liew Thiam Leng.

The 34-year-old, who contested Ang Mo Kio GRC under the Reform Party banner at the recent General Election, is the second of six protesters facing the public nuisance charge to plead guilty.

Ms Chua Siew Leng, 43, who does not hold a regular job, admitted to the charge in March. She was fined $300.

The cases against the other four, who include blogger and rally co-organiser Han Hui Hui, 24, have been fixed for a joint trial next week.

Speaking to reporters after the hearing, Mr Ngerng skirted the question when asked – at least three times – why he chose a different course from his co-accused.
He would only say, of his decision to plead guilty at this stage: "All of us are doing this to help our country, and I'd like us to focus on that."

When asked if he would continue in opposition politics, he said he was moving on and looking for a job, with a "focus right now on putting food on the table".

Roy Ngerng leaving court on Wednesday, Oct 7

The six were accused of disrupting the YMCA Proms @ The Park charity event for children with special needs, which was held in Hong Lim Park at the same time as the Return Our CPF protest rally.

The court heard on Wednesday that the YMCA had applied to the National Parks Board (NParks) for permission to hold the YMCA event sometime in April 2014. This was approved on Sept 9, 2014.

On Sept 22, 2014, Han made an online application to the Commissioner of Parks and Recreation give a "speech" at Speakers' Corner at Hong Lim Park in relation to the CPF event. Chua, Low and Mr Ngerng also made similar applications.

"At no time did (they) apply to the Commissioner for approval to organise a demonstration at Hong Lim Park or Speakers' Corner," said Deputy Public Prosecutor John Lu.

He said they "became more emotive" when Minister of State Teo Ser Luck, the YMCA event's main guest, arrived at about 4.50pm.

The six accused and at least 20 others then marched four times around the general vicinity of the YMCA event, shouting loudly, chanting slogans, waving flags, holding placards, blowing whistles loudly and beating drums.

A 20-year-old full-time national serviceman called the police at 4.51pm that day to complain, saying protesters were "going around the place shouting".

In mitigation, Mr Ngerng's lawyer Eugene Thuraisingam said his client is a good-hearted citizen who has made many contributions to society, including teaching autistic children and volunteering with special needs children for three years.

He added that Mr Ngerng had "honestly believed" that there was no need to obtain further specific approval for the conduct of a demonstration.

This, he said, was fuelled by a "genuine belief" that he was speaking on a matter of public interest, as the CPF matters are "close to Mr Ngerng's heart".

The Attorney-General's Chambers, earlier this year, rejected an application to withdraw the public nuisance charge against Chua, Janet Low Wai Choo, 55; Goh Aik Huat, 42; and Ivan Koh Yew Beng, 60; in lieu of a stern warning.

For being a public nuisance, Ngerng could have been fined a maximum of $1,000. The charge of organising a demonstration without approval carries a maximum fine of $5,000.

Prodigy

Alfrescian
Loyal

Blogger Roy Ngerng ordered to pay PM Lee Hsien Loong $150,000 for defamation

ngerng17.jpg

Roy Ngerng (above) has been ordered to pay Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong $150,000 for defamation.PHOTO: ST FILE

Published 8 hours ago

SINGAPORE - Blogger Roy Ngerng was ordered by the High Court on Thursday to pay Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong $150,000 for defamation.

The amount comprises $100,000 in general damages and $50,000 in aggravated damages.

Justice Lee Seiu Kin, in a 73-page decision, said Mr Ngerng's conduct had been malicious, and that it was likely he "cynically defamed" Mr Lee to increase viewership of his blog, The Heart Truths.

"As is apparent from recent events in this region, an accusation that one has criminally misappropriated monies paid by citizens to a state-administered pension fund is one of the gravest that can be made against any individual, let alone a head of government," said Justice Lee.

"Such accusations, striking at the heart of one's personal integrity, can severely undermine the credibility of the target," he added.

Further, the articles and e-mails that Mr Ngerng wrote after he had apologised to Mr Lee would appear to a disinterested observer that he was not contrite, the judge said.

Also, the fact that Mr Ngerng had published on his blog the initial Letter of Demand sent by Mr Lee's lawyers was aggravating, as it served to increase the reach of defamatory material and the likelihood of its republication, the judge added.

Justice Lee said the subsequent publications on Mr Ngerng's blog seemed to suggest that PM Lee was "using the present suit not just to vindicate his reputation but to quell political dissent, or even to prevent investigation into the mismanagement (dishonest or otherwise) of the CPF monies".

Justice Lee had held in November last year that Mr Ngerng's post suggested that PM Lee had misappropriated Singaporeans' Central Provident Fund (CPF) savings, as Mr Ngerng had likened the Prime Minister to City Harvest Church leaders, who were at the time facing prosecution for alleged misuse of $50 million in church funds.

While the damages awarded to a prime minister for libel have been in excess of $300,000 in the last 20 years, Justice Lee noted that damages should also be commensurate with the standing of a defamer.

In this case, he said, "a substantial reduction" was appropriate given Mr Ngerng's relatively modest standing.

He said the popularity of Mr Ngerng's blog is "not necessarily indicative" of his credibility. Despite Mr Ngerng's portrayal of himself as "the voice of truth" and having a significant standing among Singaporeans, the judge found that there was "nothing to show" he had enjoyed such standing.

"Notwithstanding his attempts to fashion himself as an investigative journalist of sorts, the defendant has never sought to conceal the fact that he is merely an ordinary citizen writing on his personal blog," said Justice Lee. "There was no pretence that he had any information that others were not privy to that would have lent credence to his allegations."

PM Lee's press secretary Chang Li Lin said in response to media queries that PM Lee accepts the judgment and award of the court.

Mr Ngerng, who is now a freelance photographer and videographer, told The Straits Times that he will be consulting his lawyer George Hwang on his next steps, including whether to appeal the quantum of damages.

Mr Hwang had initially represented Mr Ngerng in this case, but was discharged weeks before the July hearings.

Mr Ngerng added: "At this point, I have put this case behind me and am trying to move on with my life."

[email protected]

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Justice Lee Seiu Kin, in a 73-page decision, said Mr Ngerng's conduct had been malicious, and that it was likely he "cynically defamed" Mr Lee to increase viewership of his blog, The Heart Truths.

Is this judge related to the Lees?

Is the judge stupid? How much can Roy earn from increased viewership of his blog? A learned judge would take that into consideration and not form such a ludicrous conclusion.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"As is apparent from recent events in this region, an accusation that one has criminally misappropriated monies paid by citizens to a state-administered pension fund is one of the gravest that can be made against any individual, let alone a head of government," said Justice Lee.

"Such accusations, striking at the heart of one's personal integrity, can severely undermine the credibility of the target," he added.

Further, the articles and e-mails that Mr Ngerng wrote after he had apologised to Mr Lee would appear to a disinterested observer that he was not contrite, the judge said.

Also, the fact that Mr Ngerng had published on his blog the initial Letter of Demand sent by Mr Lee's lawyers was aggravating, as it served to increase the reach of defamatory material and the likelihood of its republication, the judge added.

So, the judge is just stating exactly the argument put out by Pinky's lawyer. How lazy can a judge be?

Why didn't the judge explain his dismissal of Roy's defence? Because the judge don't know how to refute those arguments?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Justice Lee said the subsequent publications on Mr Ngerng's blog seemed to suggest that PM Lee was "using the present suit not just to vindicate his reputation but to quell political dissent, or even to prevent investigation into the mismanagement (dishonest or otherwise) of the CPF monies".

Is the judge objective? Seems like he is siding with the plaintiff.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He said the popularity of Mr Ngerng's blog is "not necessarily indicative" of his credibility. Despite Mr Ngerng's portrayal of himself as "the voice of truth" and having a significant standing among Singaporeans, the judge found that there was "nothing to show" he had enjoyed such standing.[/QUOTE]
So, the popularity of his blog does not reflect 'significant standing' ...then what does? Stupid judge.

"Notwithstanding his attempts to fashion himself as an investigative journalist of sorts, the defendant has never sought to conceal the fact that he is merely an ordinary citizen writing on his personal blog," said Justice Lee. "There was no pretence that he had any information that others were not privy to that would have lent credence to his allegations."
When did ORDINARY Roy presented himself as an investigate journalist? Stupid judge.
Roy was analytical ...and that is what his blog showed. Stupid judge.

In a true independent court, LHL's case would have been tossed out with cost awarded to defendant. There were so many holes in Pinky's case. It is obvious that the judge did not even consider the defence's arguments. He just took the Ah Neh lawyer's words and put them in his judgment.

Sick!

Callisto

Alfrescian
Loyal

Blogger Roy Ngerng to pay $150,000 in damages to PM Lee in instalments

roy1.jpg

Roy Ngerng photographed outside the State Courts on Oct 7, 2015. PHOTO: ST FILE

Published Mar 14, 2016, 1:27 pm SGT
Updated Mar 14, 2016, 4:25 pm

Lee Min Kok

SINGAPORE - Blogger Roy Ngerng will be allowed to pay the $150,000 in damages he owes to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong in instalments, his lawyer Eugene Thuraisingam said in a statement on Monday (March 14).

Ngerng, 34, had asked to be let off by paying $36,000 of the $150,000 plus hearing costs, which Mr Lee rejected, his press secretary Chang Li Lin said in response to media queries.

"The Prime Minister had responded to say that Mr Ngerng had to discharge his entire debt, but that he was prepared to give Mr Ngerng time to pay the $150,000 by instalments, provided he paid the (hearing) costs immediately," she added.

"Mr Ngerng has agreed and this was recorded by the court this morning (Monday)."

Mr Thuraisingam, who started representing Ngerng on a pro bono basis from Dec 23 last year, said his client will start by paying $100 a month from April 1.

This arrangement will continue for the next five years until April 1, 2021, when the monthly payments will be increased to $1,000 until the full sum has been paid.

Ngerng should be done paying back the the total sum by the year 2033.

He need not pay any interest if he makes each payment on time; should he fail to make any one of the payments, however, the full amount outstanding - including Court Judgment interest - will be immediately payable. The interest is a default rate provided by the court, pegged at 5.33 per cent per annum.

Ngerng will also have to pay for the costs of the Assessment of Damages hearing, which was agreed at $30,000, by Wednesday (March 16).

Mr Thuraisingam revealed that a hearing was held on Monday morning for parties to make submissions and for the Judge to decide the costs payable by Ngerng to Mr Lee.

But Mr Thuraisingam, acting on behalf of Ngerng, had already agreed on the new terms with Mr Lee's lawyers late last week.

On Dec 17 last year, Ngerng was ordered to pay Mr Lee $150,000 for defamation after Justice Lee Seiu Kin, in a 73-page decision, said the blogger's conduct had been malicious and that it was likely he "cynically defamed" Mr Lee to increase viewership of his blog, The Heart Truths.

The amount comprises $100,000 in general damages and $50,000 in aggravated damages.

Mr Lee had said then that he accepted the judgment and award of the court.

Hamburger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Blogger Roy Ngerng pays $30,000 in costs over defamation case

roy_0.jpg

Roy Ngerng has raised more than $12,000 in his second public call for funds to help him pay for costs and damages.ST PHOTO: WONG KWAI CHOW

Published 5 hours ago

SINGAPORE - Blogger Roy Ngerng on Wednesday paid part of the amount he owes over his defamation case, partially fulfilling a settlement agreement he has with Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

Over the past two days, he has raised more than $12,000, in his second public call for funds to help him pay for costs and damages.

Mr Lee's press secretary, Ms Chang Li Lin, said in response to media queries that Mr Lee's lawyer has received $30,000 from Mr Ngerng.

The sum covers costs for a three-day hearing in July last year held to decide on the damages due to Mr Lee. Mr Ngerng had cross-examined the Prime Minister himself.

The blogger was found to have defamed Mr Lee over a blog post alleging that Mr Lee had misappropriated the Central Provident Fund savings of Singaporeans.

High Court Judge Lee Seiu Kin, in a judgement last December, had ordered the blogger to pay Mr Lee $150,000 for defamation, saying that it was likely the blogger "cynically defamed" Mr Lee to increase viewership of his blog, The Heart Truths.

Mr Lee has agreed to allow Mr Ngerng to pay this sum in instalments over a period of 17 years.

Mr Ngerng will start by paying $100 a month from April 1 this year. From April 1 2021, the amount will be increased to $1,000 until the full sum has been paid. He should be done paying the total sum by the year 2033.

In several blog posts over the past two days, Mr Ngerng listed the amounts he has raised in his fund-raising drives, on of which is ongoing.

He also accounted for how he had spent $127,000, which he raised in 2014 from individual donors and organisations. He said he has spent $122,000 of it.

Of this sum, $50,000 had gone to his first lawyer, Mr M. Ravi.

Another $30,000 went towards paying for his second lawyer, Mr George Hwang, whom he discharged before the hearing to assess damages.

The blogger said he also paid $35,000 to Mr Lee's lawyer, Senior Counsel Davinder Singh, which covers the costs for a hearings related to the case.

One was a hearing for a summary judgement - a procedure where a judgement is sought without going for a full trial - which Mr Lee obtained against Mr Ngerng. The other was a hearing to decide if Mr Ngerng can hire a Queen's Counsel from Britain to represent him.

Mr Ngerng said he also paid for court filing fees and costs, which he estimated to be about $7,000.