• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore Bonds

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oii good mah?

MAPLETREE GREATER CHINA COMMERCIAL TRUST SGD 7YR

1. My CPF SA gives me 4%. I am usually super not keen to buy bonds that yields below 4%.
2. They give you 3.2% for 7 years. They think their bonds are safer than my bank preference shares that gives 4-5%pa and exposed to China.
3. 3.2% plus, u can wait for covered bonds. I expect covered bonds to give between 2.5 to 4%pa when they are issued and they are super super safe - double protection (secured with assets + issuer bank liable to compensate additional losses.
4. Cheung Kong gives 5.125% and their balance sheet is stronger than Mapletree GCCT.

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Interesting Bond issues

Sir, the right is priced below the mother share price, of course u will exercise it (to either take advantage or reduce losses), if u don't sell it.

You very smart to sell 2.26, now 2.17

Headache now is my mother share. 9.87 now.
Buy more or sell?

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yeah, right. It shows how the paps turned the country upside down, giving free scholarship to foreigners and making locals pay for uni fees.

We should groom 80% of our cohort as uni grads. Taiwan, Korea and Japan are aiming this target. Uni Education is nearly free in Germany. All 4 are industrial powerhouses. Let the good ones grad in 3 years and weaker ones grad in 6 years. it is better than trying to convince singaporeans that diploma is good enough. In fact the standard of our diploma is higher than many ANZ and UK university bachelor degrees.

Give ourselves a chance.

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. My CPF SA gives me 4%. I am usually super not keen to buy bonds that yields below 4%.
2. They give you 3.2% for 7 years. They think their bonds are safer than my bank preference shares that gives 4-5%pa and exposed to China.
3. 3.2% plus, u can wait for covered bonds. I expect covered bonds to give between 2.5 to 4%pa when they are issued and they are super super safe - double protection (secured with assets + issuer bank liable to compensate additional losses.
4. Cheung Kong gives 5.125% and their balance sheet is stronger than Mapletree GCCT.

What Cheung Kong?

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

now, they are saying that to earn your degree while you are working at the same time. seems to me, it is more cost effective for the employers! imagine paying a diploma holder for a start, how much they can save if they are to pay for a degree grad. they want the diploma holder to do the degree grad job and slowly upscale their pay to degree holder after at least 5 years, that is the industry practice in the market.

We should groom 80% of our cohort as uni grads. Taiwan, Korea and Japan are aiming this target. Uni Education is nearly free in Germany. All 4 are industrial powerhouses. Let the good ones grad in 3 years and weaker ones grad in 6 years. it is better than trying to convince singaporeans that diploma is good enough. In fact the standard of our diploma is higher than many ANZ and UK university bachelor degrees.

Give ourselves a chance.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
What Cheung Kong?

from my older post................................

Cheung Kong 5.125% Perpetual
http://em.cbonds.com/emissions/issue/20655
Lot Size: S$250K
Last Friday's Price: About 98.4 (including commission), excluding accrued interests.
Latest price: http://www.poems.com.hk/en-us/product-and-service/bonds/bonds-information/?id=104941
Maturity: 2 more years (first-call date)

Advantage:
- The yields are high because this bond was issued years ago when interest rates were higher.
- Company owned by Mr Li Ka Shing's Cheung Kong Group. Cheung Kong Group owns properties and utility companies in HK.
- The parent company is ultra-rich now after offloading lots of assets in the past 1 year + their recent property launch is crazily oversubscribed in HK although property market is weak (they sold in micro 200sqft units). It is always safer to lend money to people who don't need to borrow.
- If they redeem back 2 years later, you enjoy 5.125%pa for 2 years + 1% bonus because it is trading below 100.

Risk:
- This is a shell-company based in offshore islands (for tax purposes), not based in Singapore or HK. (different jurisdiction).
- They are not legally obliged to redeem perpetual bonds. If they don't redeem back after on first-call date, you just continue to get 5.125%pa but the company's overal1 credit worthiness will be affected.

Objective: Buy bonds from safe issuers with short maturity. When property and market crashes 2-3 years later, switch from the matured bonds at 100% par to grab the bargains.

I is difficult to find such a good catch (safe company with 5% yield) with short maturity (2 years). Please note that RUN is not a professional or uni grad, therefore please seek your RM's advice on the underlying risks. That's all I know.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal

now, they are saying that to earn your degree while you are working at the same time. seems to me, it is more cost effective for the employers! imagine paying a diploma holder for a start, how much they can save if they are to pay for a degree grad. they want the diploma holder to do the degree grad job and slowly upscale their pay to degree holder after at least 5 years, that is the industry practice in the market.

the countries that i quoted believe in "max"-train every cohort so that they can give their best shot the moment they enter the workforce.
A far-fetched ideology but still something positive for the country.

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
from my older post................................

Cheung Kong 5.125% Perpetual
http://em.cbonds.com/emissions/issue/20655
Lot Size: S$250K
Last Friday's Price: About 98.4 (including commission), excluding accrued interests.
Latest price: http://www.poems.com.hk/en-us/product-and-service/bonds/bonds-information/?id=104941
Maturity: 2 more years (first-call date)

Advantage:
- The yields are high because this bond was issued years ago when interest rates were higher.
- Company owned by Mr Li Ka Shing's Cheung Kong Group. Cheung Kong Group owns properties and utility companies in HK.
- The parent company is ultra-rich now after offloading lots of assets in the past 1 year + their recent property launch is crazily oversubscribed in HK although property market is weak (they sold in micro 200sqft units). It is always safer to lend money to people who don't need to borrow.
- If they redeem back 2 years later, you enjoy 5.125%pa for 2 years + 1% bonus because it is trading below 100.

Risk:
- This is a shell-company based in offshore islands (for tax purposes), not based in Singapore or HK. (different jurisdiction).
- They are not legally obliged to redeem perpetual bonds. If they don't redeem back after on first-call date, you just continue to get 5.125%pa but the company's overal1 credit worthiness will be affected.

Objective: Buy bonds from safe issuers with short maturity. When property and market crashes 2-3 years later, switch from the matured bonds at 100% par to grab the bargains.

I is difficult to find such a good catch (safe company with 5% yield) with short maturity (2 years). Please note that RUN is not a professional or uni grad, therefore please seek your RM's advice on the underlying risks. That's all I know.

Must have 250k then can buy ya?

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal

You can ignore personal attack and go back there.. In Internet, everywhere also got mad people. Here also same.. even more crazy people.

Spot on. Seems more than fair share of lunatics in this forum. Even the boss himself does not know his own nationality. One minute, he is Persian and the next minute, he is Burmese.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal

...Alamak, these are Cocos bonds (Contingent convertible)[/COLOR][/B]. More dangerous than preference shares.

Here's my layman explanation:
- Issuing ordinary shares will dilute current shareholders'control. So good and bad Banks are issuing perpetual securities or preference shares to increase capital-base to do larger business. (BASEL-III)
- There is no compulsory redemption or maturity dates for perpetual securities. The good banks don't really need our money, so they will explicitly hint that they will redeem back at first-call date with a self-imposed heavy penalty for not being able to do so. (maturity).
- Cocos are like preference shares BUT BUT BUT these shares can eventually be converted to ordinary shares (equities) in the event that banks face a sudden massive write-down, eg. lehman brother, citigroup, bank of america...

Somehow all foreign bonds come wrapped with hidden risks and the toxic will emerge during time of financial crisis. Bonds issued in sinkie land are more reliable because issuers will not indulge in hanky panky antics unlike those in other countries. The CAD will come after defaulters like a ton of bricks to investigate the cause of default.

Anyway, a blue chip in sinkie land is often as good as a bank like Singtel and Starhub.

Perhaps, this is only one of the reasons why foreigners worship the pap Govt for doing a fine job.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal

Give ourselves a chance.

No chance, lah, if the paps fail to see the graves that they are digging for sinkie graduates.