• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Highly recommended upgrade for those with older PCs

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
If you're still using a clanky old mechanical hard drive, it's time you upgraded to one of these :

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/PCIe/OWC/Mercury_Accelsior/RAID

Just installed mine yesterday. It took less than 3 minutes for the upgrade. Formatted, copied my old HDD over using CC Cloner and rebooted.

The difference was stunning! Everything is so much faster.

Highly recommended. The best upgrade I've ever done.

You don't need a large capacity as you don't copy all your data, images, videos onto this SSD drive. You use it for your applications only plus configure it as a scratch disk for those applications which need one.
OWC-Mercury-Accelsior_E2-480GB-PCIe-SSD-Front.png

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Highly recommended upgrade for those with 4 year old PCs

i am using mirroring raid for 2 X 500GB mechanical HD. if one down, another kick in...no need hassle for trying to restore data.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

i am using mirroring raid for 2 X 500GB mechanical HD. if one down, another kick in...no need hassle for trying to restore data.

I use a mechanical RAID array as backup too. This SSD Isn't for backup or storage. It's for running applications at blazing speeds because it uses the fastest bus your computer has.

With a mirroring set up, you still need another backup routine because whatever ends up corrupted is mirrored too. If one of your precious databases crashes, both copies on both RAID drives will be stuffed. That's when you need an older uncorrupted copy that you can restore from.

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal

on MAC or PC?

I use a mechanical RAID array as backup too. This SSD Isn't for backup or storage. It's for running applications at blazing speeds because it uses the fastest bus your computer has.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

With a mirroring set up, you still need another backup routine too because whatever ends up corrupted is mirrored too. If one of your precious databases crashes, both copies on both RAID drives will be stuffed.

nowadays still got pple use PC meh?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

nowadays still got pple use PC meh?

Anyone who does photo/video stuff plus graphic design etc will be on a desktop. It can't be done on tablets. You're talking 50Gb of data to process for one photoshoot.

My camera produces an 50 Mb file. When transferred to photoshop and you'r working with 7 layers plus layer masks plus plug ins etc, it bloats the file to 150 Mb. There is no way a tablet or laptop could handle these.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

alienware cannot meh?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

alienware cannot meh?

Alienware would do the job I'm sure but aren't those custom designed for gaming?

They're now just DELL computers pimped with sci-fi special effects lighting.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

revealer

Alfrescian
Loyal
If one's desktop has an I-series CPU (i3, i5,i7), one will have a good chance to use SSD at maximum speed as their motherboards would have 6 GB/s interface for hard disk. Even if you have older CPU like E-series (E2600, E5200, E8400) running on 3 GB/s motherboard, one can still see big improvement and might not notice the slight deteriorated performance unless one started to measure them. SSD are SATA drives and therefore, it would not work for those with IDE interface that was used in much older computers like those used in the Pentium 4 series. I have a E-series now running with Samsung EVO 840 using 3 GB/s interface. Have tried to mount the SSD in a 6GB/s PCIE card but did not find better result eventhough I had the card installed on the PCIex16 slot as recommended. This is because the E-series motherboards has only a 16 bits video bus and when one has a video card as well as 6 GB/s PCIE card installed, they will have to share the same 16 bits bandwidth and therefore, degraded the performance

not sure if my main board can support that..
i have not got myself a new pc for 4-5 years now.
but i will sure take a look at it. thanks sam :wink:

Last edited:

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
IMHO, PCIe SSD drive is fast and good in performance but the price is still sky high.
For the time being can only afford SATA SSD.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Have been using an Intel SSD & I find that over time it will slow down. Maybe have to a reformat & do a clean install to get the full benefit:confused:

Even with the slower speed it's pretty fast & on my next upgrade I will get a larger SSD.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Have been using an Intel SSD & I find that over time it will slow down. Maybe have to a reformat & do a clean install to get the full benefit:confused:

Even with the slower speed it's pretty fast & on my next upgrade I will get a larger SSD.

The reason why it slows down is because one of the weaknesses of the earlier generation of SSDs is that bad blocks start developing far more quickly compared to mechanical platters. The firmware would detect these and would then go through a complicated iteration process to transfer the data to other blocks and the write process would also have to avoid using the bad blocks.

The new enterprise grade of SSDs are of much higher quality and lots of "over provisioning" and the chances of bad blocks is a lot lower plus the firmware is now much more intelligent and avoiding these bad blocks, if they do occur, is a much speedier process.

There is a good article at http://www.forensicmag.com/articles/2014/01/solid-state-drives-part-4

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My desktop and laptop more than 10 years old. Worth the upgrade?

With hardware being so cheap I think you will get a bigger bang by replacing your PC instead of just upgrading to a SSD.

If you are considering upgrading to fiber internet , the newer PCs support gigabit networking.