• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bros, does this story sound familiar?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Public civil servant pays himself and his cronies obscene wages. Public servant runs the city like his own personal bank. Except in this case, there is a happy ending. Californians recognize corruption when they see it. My comments in red.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A former city official who became a symbol of municipal greed was sentenced Wednesday to 12 years in prison — less than half the time it will take the nearly bankrupt Los Angeles suburb of Bell to dig itself out of the estimated $150 million in debt he left behind.

A judge also ordered former Bell city manager Robert Rizzo to make $8.8 million in restitution, but prosecutors say that only covers the money he illegally took for himself. In all, Rizzo cost the modest city more than $150 million in legal fees and illegally collected taxes that must be repaid, said prosecutors and Bell officials.

"That resulted in borrowing that will not be paid back until 2040," Anthony Taylor, an attorney representing the city of Bell, told Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Kathleen Kennedy

Rizzo was arrested in 2010 after it was revealed that he was paying himself an annual salary and benefits package of $1.5 million to run a city where a quarter of the population lives below the federal poverty line. His $800,000 in wages alone was double that of the president of the United States.

Sounds familiar, right? Lots of people in SIngapore struggling and barely getting by or even below water, yet our officials also get million $ salaries

His top assistant had a salary and benefits package of $564,000 and most Bell City Council members were getting about $100,000 a year. Several other top officials were paid hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Former assistant city manager Angela Spaccia was sentenced last week to nearly 12 years in prison and five former council members face as much as four years when they are sentenced later this year.

Kennedy, however, said the entire scam could be traced to Rizzo.

"Rizzo was controlling everything," the judge said, noting he doled out millions of dollars in illegal loans to pretty much anybody who asked and raised salaries to levels the judge called "absolutely ridiculous".

You and I also know someone else in SIngapore controlling everything and doling out millions to their lackeys, don't we?

"Nobody wanted to upset the apple cart because they were being paid so well," she added.

Sounds exactly like the Kwa and Lee family and their MIW elites, right?

When somebody did complain, Kennedy said, Rizzo got rid of them, and when some members of the public began to catch on, he falsified public records to hide the fraud.

In SIngapore, complains are met with lawsuits or simply ignored.

Rizzo, who was Bell's city manager for 18 years, told the judge he ran "a very good, tight ship" for the first 12 years but then went astray when he began to put himself, not city residents, first.

Sounds like Lee Con You, ran a tight ship at first and then grabbed everything he could later on.

"I'm very, very sorry for that. I apologize for that. If I could go back and make changes, I would," he said.

U will never hear this from Old Goat and his son, or any of the MIW elites.

By the time he was arrested, Rizzo had amassed a fortune. He owned a horse ranch in Washington state, several thoroughbred racehorses and an expensive home in Huntington Beach.

Ditto on the amassing a vast fortune part for the Lees.

Kennedy said she appreciated the apology.

"But it doesn't change the fact that, Mr. Rizzo, you did some very, very bad things for a very long time," she said.

On Monday, Rizzo was sentenced to 33 months in federal prison for income tax evasion. Kennedy said he would be transferred to a state prison after that time was served. She allowed him to remain free until May 30 after being assured his $2 million bail would be forfeited if he doesn't surrender on that day.

Rizzo's attorney, James Spertus, had asked Kennedy to impose a five-year sentence. The lawyer said outside court that he wasn't surprised by the longer term. He expects Rizzo, 60, to be free in about six years after time off is granted for good behavior.

The sentencing of Rizzo brought the case close to an end four years after the Los Angeles Times first reported the true salaries of Rizzo and others. It was later learned that City Hall had illegally raised property taxes, business license fees, sewage fees and trash collection fees; illegally diverted gas taxes and other state and federal funds; and issued $50 million in voter-approved bonds for a park that was never built. Much of the money was used to cover the huge salaries of city officials.

Rizzo, who hasn't spoken publicly since the scandal began, talked briefly with two reporters outside the courthouse.

"I should have realized that the salaries were way out of whack and taken steps to bring them back into line, but it just got away from me and there wasn't much I could do after a period of time," he said after pausing to gather his thoughts.

Several others in city government were well aware of what was going on, he said before adding, "I don't want to rat anybody out."

After a passer-by shouted at him that justice had finally been served, Rizzo smiled, shook hands and said, "I've got to go."

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
There are no similarities whatsoever. In Singapore, the salaries of the ministers, perm secs, judges, PM etc are transparent and are public knowledge.

They have been approved by Parliament, the highest court of the land and even more importantly, have been endorsed by the Leader of the Opposition and his Party as being justifiable and equitable.

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
yeah, and dont forget that there were self-discount after objections...... Feeling guilty?
And dont get caught too if it involved a chain of parties; otherwise you had shamed the
Master badly.....at NO mercy other than to take your own life.

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
There are no similarities whatsoever. In Singapore, the salaries of the ministers, perm secs, judges, PM etc are transparent and are public knowledge.

They have been approved by Parliament, the highest court of the land and even more importantly, have been endorsed by the Leader of the Opposition and his Party as being justifiable and equitable.

Lanjiao .... so does *everybody* know exactly how much are their performance bonuses or not???

talking cock also must also know when to stop cb mouth.......

kezgtree

Alfrescian
Loyal
"I should have realized that the salaries were way out of whack and taken steps to bring them back into line, but it just got away from me and there wasn't much I could do after a period of time," he said after pausing to gather his thoughts.

....a good statement in the event when you are bring to court for trial...well done Rizzo

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Boss, I don't like to argue with you. just answer my simple Qn. if your said the salaries of all doggies were endorsed then why they need adjustment DOWNWARD. Why! Why! Why! Mad.

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Boss you talk cock again, who endorsed their obscene salaries, The share holders didn't approved it. Mighty LKY just annex his right. Only LHL rejected in silent by delaying 5 years increase for him, no doggies dare to open the CB mouths for scare of mistaking of disobedience, today the obscene salaries had adjusted why? I am sure when LKY died, the obscene salaries can't hold. Annex right not = to endorsement, we blame it to sinkies have no ball to reiterate (including you!).

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is why I'm so freaking angry with those shameless arseholes especially the old bastard!

I was pro establishment.

Only stupid gong-char-char Sammy Leong who keeps on praising those shameless bastards!

Honestly, my hunch is Leongsam is anti-PAP. He is merely balancing things up in this forum. An intelligent chap like Leongsam cannot be fooled so easily.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know.....fluctuates from 12 to 36 months.

Source: a former Senior Perm Sec.
hahaha...either u are bullshitting or your senior perm sec friend bluffed u...
there is no way it can be 36 months...
pse go and refer to the white paper on minister salary...
The Prime Minister’s annual salary should comprise fixed pay and variable pay. His fixed pay should comprise 12 months’ salary and the 13th month payment like the other political appointment holders. His variable pay should comprise AVC ranging from 0 to 1.5 months and National Bonus ranging from 0 to 12 months. In a year where the targets for the indicators are met, his National Bonus will be 6 months. The maximum National Bonus that he can receive is 12 months when all the targets are far exceeded
hence the max variable pay (bonus) is 13.5months......

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Boss, I don't like to argue with you. just answer my simple Qn. if your said the salaries of all doggies were endorsed then why they need adjustment DOWNWARD. Why! Why! Why! Mad.

The downward adjustment was to show that the PAP is a caring government that is sensitive to the feelings of the electorate. I admire them for sacrificing a portion of their salaries to show solidarity with the people of Singapore.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Boss you talk cock again, who endorsed their obscene salaries, The share holders didn't approved it.

The shareholders are the people of Singapore and they approved it by returning the PAP to power in every election.

If the shareholders had disapproved, the PAP would have been voted out of office in 1996 after the first salary increase that took place in 1994.

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I know.....fluctuates from 12 to 36 months.

Source: a former Senior Perm Sec.

Dude...fluctuates for perm secs in that range but do you know how much it ranges for the ministers?

Work one year make 5 years pay is not unheard of....not including their so called double counting for pensions etc etc extra payments her there and everywhere.....

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Govt stopped publishing the salaries scale of superscale officers in the early 1990s, same time that they stopped stopped citizen umber choosing to use "residents".

There can only be only reason why this is no longer transparent. It cannot be because to save ink.

The very first principal private secretary to the old man was given only one piece of advice by the World's longest serving cabinet secretary on the first day on the job. That advice was "blood is thicker than water" He knew what was meant and in his later years to face became very religious. I suppose he could not live with himself and Sunday became an opportunity to cleanse his soul. Sadly a very nice, capable and well respected man.

Last edited:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Govt stopped publishing the salaries scale of superscale officers in the early 1990s, same time that they stopped stopped citizen umber choosing to use "residents".

There can only be only reason why this is no longer transparent. It cannot be because to save ink.

The very first principal private secretary to the old man was given only one piece of advice by the World's longest serving cabinet minister on the first day on the job. That advice was "blood is thicker than water" He knew what was meant and in his later years to face became very religious. I suppose he could not live with himself and Sunday became an opportunity to cleanse his soul. Sadly a very nice, capable and well respected man.

Lim Siong Guan