• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Minister claims Govt. cannot lower World Cup TV fees

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
WTF. Isn't Singtel owned by the Govt? Than why can't they direct SIngtel to lower the price. In fact, one of their directors is Peter Ong, Head of the Civil Service and Perm Sec in MOF,and the whole board and management team are populated by govt. insiders in one form or another. Temasek Holdings, (govt. owned) owns 52% of Singtel shares. This Lawrence Wong is a fucking liar. Anytime the Govt can request the World Cup Fees be lowered because they are the owners and this is a GLC. The govt. just want to make maximum profit over even the little thing SInkies can enjoy, i.e. watching World Cup Live.

Singapore authorities can't slash pay-TV fees for World Cup says minister
Rebecca Hawkes | 15-04-2014

The government is unable to intervene to lower TV subscription fees for World Cup matches because Singapore is a "price-taker not a price-setter" when it comes to acquiring the content from FIFA, Acting Minister for Culture, Community and Youth, Lawrence Wong told Parliament on Monday (14 April).

In response to widespread criticism over the price local pay-TV operators are asking for World Cup subscriptions, Wong said that the cost of acquiring broadcast rights for the World Cup has risen by between 20% and 40% around the world in the past four years. However, as Singapore is a small market, it has not been able to offset the increase as effectively as some other countries.

"Content owners such as FIFA are not obligated to sell their content at a price they do not agree with. It is not something we welcome, but on this issue, we are unfortunately a price-taker, not a price-setter," Wong said.

In March 2014, SingTel announced it had won the country's exclusive broadcast rights for the World Cup finals, which kick off in Brazil on 12 June 2014. Due to the Media Development Authority (MDA)'s cross-carriage rule, rival cable network StarHub will also be able to show the matches.

Wong, who is also Senior Minister of State for Communications and Information, said the cross-carriage policy would be looked at as part of a larger Media Market Conduct Code review later in 2014. Regulation will form part of the remit but only with a cost-benefit analysis applied, he said.

Wong also told Parliament that the MDA could look into regulation to ensure contracts between content providers and telcos are signed at least 12 months before major events such as the FIFA World Cup, in case that would provide more advertising or sponsorship opportunities to offset subscription fees.

Pay-TV operators SingTel and StarHub will offer all 64 matches for a standalone subscription fee of S$112.35 (US$89) up from S$88 (US$70.20) in 2010. Existing SingTel mioTV subscribers can catch it for free if they extend their subscription to selected football packages for 24 months.

Four matches (the opener, semi-finals and finals) will also be shown free-to-air on MediaCorp in Singapore, as they form part of the MDA's anti-siphoning list.

SingTel has not disclosed how much it paid to acquire the rights from FIFA for this year's World Cup finals. In 2010, SingTel and StarHub shared the rights deal for a reported S$21million (US$16.75 million).

Last edited:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the first place it was Singtel who fucked up the market by a major bid to get the BPL rights n we r fucked after that ... Each nego based on the previous pricing

CB Singtel for cocking it up

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lawrence needs to find a female companion. Pcc all the time affects the brain. Surely there is another HC out there waiting for a spouse who is a minister.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lawrence needs to find a female companion. Pcc all the time affects the brain. Surely there is another HC out there waiting for a spouse who is a minister.

Tan Chuan-Jin is the most appropriate to help his colleague from 'sperm rush to the brain.' So many PRCs here - legally and illegally. Just select one for comrade Lawrence.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Whore Jinx got sister mah. Working in high up MOE, used to be principal of Gan Eng Sec School. I am sure she will fuck anything with a dick. Ah Law should take her out on a date.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
At anytime, MOF can order Temasek to order Singtel to charge the viewers cost plus 10% for the fees. I think that's fair. But than this is singapore. there is no fairness here.

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How cum they can inject 1.1 b into a public transport and their hands are tied when it comes to helping the poor to watch soccer?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just watch the matches free online. There are plenty of streams available. In the age of mobile devices and wireless Internet, there is no excuse not to do so. I watch league and CL matches online.

Besides, kick off times are mostly in the morning (Brazil time zone).

Screw Singtel and the GLC profiteering, and don't contribute a dime to them. The GLCs, the 'regulators' and the PAP govt are all in cahoots to squeeze blood from a stone. Don't let them have their way.

Look at other so-called 'backward' Asian countries, they have free-to air or at least cheap subscription plans.
Even Japan, supposedly a place with high living costs, has free-to-air World Cup coverage.

http://www.goal.com/en-sg/news/3880.../singapore-costliest-place-to-watch-world-cup

Hc1g8Kz.png

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No different from saying HDB is losing money, white horse was to ensure no preferential treatment, GST is to help the poor.
I' m a football fan but I rather not pay a single cent to Singtel and watch whatever is available free.
Locals need to unite and boycott such unscrupulous companies.
The fact that its a GLC is like rubbing salt into our wounds.

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP can fuck and tiew and kan you they will do just that
and get your fucking money as well

WAIT FOR THAT B IG PARTY ON CE LKY DIE

WE HANG E VEYONE OF THOSE PAP BASTARDS

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just watch the matches free online. There are plenty of streams available. In the age of mobile devices and wireless Internet, there is no excuse not to do so. I watch league and CL matches online.

Besides, kick off times are mostly in the morning (Brazil time zone).

Screw Singtel and the GLC profiteering, and don't contribute a dime to them. The GLCs, the 'regulators' and the PAP govt are all in cahoots to squeeze blood from a stone. Don't let them have their way.

Look at other so-called 'backward' Asian countries, they have free-to air or at least cheap subscription plans.
Even Japan, supposedly a place with high living costs, has free-to-air World Cup coverage.

http://www.goal.com/en-sg/news/3880.../singapore-costliest-place-to-watch-world-cup

Hc1g8Kz.png

First we are Fcuk PAPAYA on CARS!! Screw up BIG TIME in the World!!
Beat Cuba the communist cuntry by leap bounds and many fold !!!

Now foot ball fans are Fcuk unside down by Sintel ~ Tomasick ~ PAPAYA gahmen!

What a Joke to vote these kind of bloody gahmen only think of themselves high salary $millions!!

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Boycott these mercenaries. There will be plenty of alternatives both online and on foreign TV channels.
Take a trip to Batam or across the Causeway in JB.

Hopefully, I'll be watching the WC in the UK, free of charge on BBC and ITV (in a much more favourable timezone as well).

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Why anyone would pay to watch that crap game is beyond me. :rolleyes:

I know the world is full of low IQ characters but I didn't realise there were that many.