• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Minister Hen: RSAF has robust defence for SInkiepore airspace

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Political instability in a neighboring country could also result in hostile action in a scenario similar to what started the Falkland's war. Singapore has always been the whipping boy of Malaysian politicians when they want to score political capital.

Malaysian politicians and Malaysian Royalty own many properties in Singapore. Malaysian billionaires like Robert Kuok work hand in hand with Malaysian politicians, and together they have business interests and properties in the hundreds of millions, probably $billions in Singapore. Not to mention all the confidential bank accounts that Malaysian politicians have in SIngapore. They will risk it all, and lose it all to attack SIngapore in order to score some political points with voters they don't really give a shit about, and exploit at their every opportunity? Is this what u are saying? We are not the Falklands where there is only sheep. If the Falklands had banks containing hundreds of millions or billions of $ belonging to Argentinian generals, property worth hundreds of million $ owned by Argentinian politicians and generals, they would never have even landed one soldier there, much less invaded it. So, lets hear you write one remotely sensible post in this whole thread, or else get lost.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
You still have not explained why Indonesia might declare hostilities on Singapore. Don't bring up the past. The situation was totally different than. lets talk about today. What would bring Indonesia to declare war on us today? Just say it, otherwise shut the fuck up.

A change of leadership, a rehash of historical claims. None of us can foretell the future but we must always be prepared.

Singapore is lucky to have strong leadership with the foresight and the financial means to plan well ahead. Without the excellent leadership provided by the PAP, Singapore's stability would be in doubt and the economic consequences would be devastating.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
A change of leadership, a rehash of historical claims. None of us can foretell the future but we must always be prepared.

Singapore is lucky to have strong leadership with the foresight and the financial means to plan well ahead. Without the excellent leadership provided by the PAP, Singapore's stability would be in doubt and the economic consequences would be devastating.

How would the Indonesians even get here? Sea attack with amphibious landing? Airborne attack? certainly not by land, we are not connected territorially. Pick your poison and i will tell you how it cannot be done.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Malaysian politicians and Malaysian Royalty own many properties in Singapore. Malaysian billionaires like Robert Kuok work hand in hand with Malaysian politicians, and together they have business interests and properties in the hundreds of millions, probably $billions in Singapore. Not to mention all the confidential bank accounts that Malaysian politicians have in SIngapore. They will risk it all, and lose it all to attack SIngapore in order to score some political points with voters they don't really give a shit about, and exploit at their every opportunity? Is this what u are saying? We are not the Falklands where there is only sheep. If the Falklands had banks containing hundreds of millions or billions of $ belonging to Argentinian generals, property worth hundreds of million $ owned by Argentinian politicians and generals, they would never have even landed one soldier there, much less invaded it. So, lets hear you write one remotely sensible post in this whole thread, or else get lost.

Wealth can be moved around very easily these days. It would not be an issue. Putin went ahead with the annexation of Crimea despite the fact that it put the wealth of many of his cronies in jeopardy.

Bottom line is that I have complete faith in my PAP leadership to read the situation. If they believe that Singapore needs to be defended, then it must be so.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It all looks prepped and rosy and geared to all sorts of contingencies until one actual situation occur to really stress test the supposed "formidable" system. To put it plainly, the supposed plans and police personnel gabra big-time during the little india riot really put the police force to shame and dent the confidence of the public. Prior to that, the media were also blowing their trumpets over the swift responsiveness of the Police force, so the public has grounds to doubt the credit-worthiness of the armed forces.

The single biggest fact as to why the public (at least me) do not have confidence in the uniformed forces is that the whole system is based on "not doing wrong". The armed forces can have the latest weaponry, most high-tech gadgets. But when anything happens, the first thought to the soldier/personnel on the ground is to "don't do any wrong first", confirm with someone higher up to cover my own ass first, so if any cockup, can arrow someone. What could have been a reaction time of x secs, thus become x+y+z secs. I am sure those who have served their NS will know what i mean. To those uniformed men, doing nothing = cant be wrong and no wrong is right.

To quote from a report on the little india COI, "Commissioner of Police Ng Joo Hee said the time taken before a decision was made to send the troops was unacceptably long. He was testifying on Tuesday at the Committee of Inquiry hearing into last year's riot. He also said that while the police performance in Little India may not have been perfect, it was far from inadequate.
It took 18 minutes before approval was given to send the Special Operations Command (SOC) -- the riot control force -- to the riot site."

One little india incident changed the way how SOC can be activated.

The RSAF isn't going to wait till intruders are actually over the 710sqkm of airspace immediately above the Island. Way back in in 1988 when I was directly involved in the air defense of the Island, the E2Cs that were being used at the time provided more than 30 minutes of warning of any unusual aircraft activity within a cone of more than 250km radius.

You can read about the E2C's capabilities at https://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/e-2.htm

Many years have passed and I'm sure the advanced warning features today give even more time to react.

At Tengah Air Base, one squadron would be on standby duty at all times and could be scrambled within minutes. I can vouch for this because I witnessed it many times when I was deployed there.

All Air Forces have their limitations but I can tell you that when it comes to air defense, Singapore is not to be messed with. It is one of the best in the region. It's something that Singaporeans should truly be proud of.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
How would the Indonesians even get here? Sea attack with amphibious landing? Airborne attack? certainly not by land, we are not connected territorially. Pick your poison and i will tell you how it cannot be done.

The nearest Riau Island is just a stone's throw away. Establishing a beach head would be easy if Singapore did nothing and allowed a build up to go about unchallenged.

Bigger battles have been fought over more remote locations ...eg Malta in the 2nd world war. Had Hitler not abandoned the fight for Malta, WW2 might well have taken a different turn.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Most of the Mudlanders money are elsewhere, not in sinkapore.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

Yes it is good to have these sorts of relatively minor incidences as it tests the systems out and changes can be made before something major takes place.

Nothing breeds complacency more than a false sense that all is well.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bottom line is that I have complete faith in my PAP leadership to read the situation. If they believe that Singapore needs to be defended, then it must be so.

You can say that because you are not in sinkapore.
Our 20 percent of GNP spending on defence is to for show and make some people rich. It has nothing to do with defence. The PAP elites know that sinkapore is indefensible. That's why there is always a A380 available in sinkapore to be used for the escape.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Wealth can be moved around very easily these days. It would not be an issue..

Really? So, the Malaysian politicians and Malaysian Royalty and Malaysian Tycoons can just dig up their hundreds of millions $ worth of bungalows and luxury condos and move it easily? R u stupid or something?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To quote from a report on the little india COI, "Commissioner of Police Ng Joo Hee said the time taken before a decision was made to send the troops was unacceptably long. He was testifying on Tuesday at the Committee of Inquiry hearing into last year's riot. He also said that while the police performance in Little India may not have been perfect, it was far from inadequate.
It took 18 minutes before approval was given to send the Special Operations Command (SOC) -- the riot control force -- to the riot site."

Honestly, no need for LI incident to change how SOC can be activated. Why must it be Dir Ops to activate SOC? He is not at scene and decision to activate should rest with Commanders of land divisions. Whoever put up the paper on SOC activation is an idiot. If Comdrs are entrusted with running police divisions, why cant they be trusted to activate SOC? No Comdr would suka suka activate SOC and be made to look foolish when situation doesnt warrant activation.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The nearest Riau Island is just a stone's throw away. Establishing a beach head would be easy if Singapore did nothing and allowed a build up to go about unchallenged.

Bigger battles have been fought over more remote locations ...eg Malta in the 2nd world war. Had Hitler not abandoned the fight for Malta, WW2 might well have taken a different turn.

Stones throw my ass. Its at least 40 mins by boat. Let me educate you a little. With just the standing SAF regulars force and the SPF, we have about 120,000 armed men in SIngapore. We are not counting reservists. Conventional military wisdom says u need a force of 3 to 1 in favour of the attacker at the point of attack to succeed. The Indons would have to load a force of about 360,000 men onto ships and sail them through some of the busiest shipping lanes in the world, and do that without anyone seeing them to achieve total surprise attack. If you use Riau islands as the jumping off point, you are still faced with shipping 360,000 men, their heavy equipment like tanks, and arty pieces to the Riau islands. Its a logistical impossibility even for the US. During the Normandy Landing, the largest fleet ever assembled in the history of mankind (about 7,000 vessels) landed 157,000 men in 24hrs on a wide frontage. During the first Gulf WAr, Operation Desert Storm, the US Navy fleet of 100 ships off Kuwait could only manage to embark 17,000 Marines for the liberation of Kuwait. To even land a measely 5,000 troops from riau islands is a huge naval undertaking. To land 100,000 is an impossibility for them or for any world power. Now you know the magnitude of what u claim is so easy, "a stone's throw" my ass. U know shit about military stuff, don't come and quote me Malta and all that crap.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not about faith, it went wrong spilt with Malaysia. Going alone independent is the wrong thing to do.

Those become Singapore citizens are trapped in this tiny island, no where to go? With over crowding today, no arm length space to breath even.

The Hakka bastard should not be there in the first place. How can there be 2 PMs in the first place?

If you have so little faith in your own country, why bother? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For sure I am wary abt threats fr indon or mudland but then y shld I fight if my heart notivstoon is absent ?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Stones throw my ass. Its at least 40 mins by boat. Let me educate you a little. With just the standing SAF regulars force and the SPF, we have about 120,000 armed men in SIngapore. We are not counting reservists. Conventional military wisdom says u need a force of 3 to 1 in favour of the attacker at the point of attack to succeed. The Indons would have to load a force of about 360,000 men onto ships and sail them through some of the busiest shipping lanes in the world, and do that without anyone seeing them to achieve total surprise attack. If you use Riau islands as the jumping off point, you are still faced with shipping 360,000 men, their heavy equipment like tanks, and arty pieces to the Riau islands. Its a logistical impossibility even for the US. During the Normandy Landing, the largest fleet ever assembled in the history of mankind (about 7,000 vessels) landed 157,000 men in 24hrs on a wide frontage. During the first Gulf WAr, Operation Desert Storm, the US Navy fleet of 100 ships off Kuwait could only manage to embark 17,000 Marines for the liberation of Kuwait. To even land a measely 5,000 troops from riau islands is a huge naval undertaking. To land 100,000 is an impossibility for them or for any world power. Now you know the magnitude of what u claim is so easy, "a stone's throw" my ass. U know shit about military stuff, don't come and quote me Malta and all that crap.

That is exactly why Singapore needs a strong defense force... so that launching an attack becomes a very costly affair for the aggressors. That's what a show of force is all about. It's a deterrent that keeps the peace.

The potential enemy will do their calculations the same way you have and decide it's not worth the cost. Peace prevails as a result.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Not about faith, it went wrong spilt with Malaysia. Going alone independent is the wrong thing to do.

Those become Singapore citizens are trapped in this tiny island, no where to go? With over crowding today, no arm length space to breath even.

The Hakka bastard should not be there in the first place. How can there be 2 PMs in the first place?

You obviously have not lived through the days when Singapore was part of Malaysia. It wasn't exactly a nice experience.

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any options being executed. Actions taken only on the drawing board or shot down the flying machine in the simulation room and report in the parliament Mission Accomplished.

Not sure if still happening today. In the past, yes. MHA and SPF had many meetings to decide how best to deal with the Sultan. To 'control' the Sultan and his flying machine, splashing paint to 'blind' his vision was an option.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha.....my idol really has the brain of a retard to ask question like why should indon or mudland invade Singapore???
history is a good guide.....nobody can predict what the situation is in years to come....the fundamental point is you have to be prepared as that it deters other people from doing so....
as the saying goes...literally like this..."feed an army for thousand days so that you can use it one day"....whether the day may come in your lifetime or may not come in your lifetime is not the point....