• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

10 Ways to Manage Stress

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Monday is here again. Inevitable to feel some stress. Here's some stress busters:

Stress is a normal part of life and usually comes from everyday occurrences. Here are some ways you can deal with everyday sources of stress.

http://www.rd.com/health/wellness/10-ways-to-manage-stress/

1. Eliminate as many sources of stress as you can. For example, if crowds bother you, go to the supermarket when you know the lines won’t be too long. Try renting videotapes rather than going to crowded movie theaters. Clear up the clutter in your life by giving away or throwing away the things that get in your way. A garage sale is one effective way to do this.

2. If you are always running late, sit down with a pencil and paper and see how you are actually allotting your time. Say it takes you 40 minutes to get to work. Are you leaving your house on time? You may be able to solve your problem (and de-stress your life a bit) just by being realistic. If you can’t find the time for all the activities that are important to you, maybe you are trying to do too much. Again, make a list of what you do during the day and how much each activity takes. Then cut back.

3. Avoid predictably stressful situations. If a certain sport or game makes you tense (whether it’s tennis or bridge), decline the invitation to play. After all, the point of these activities is to have a good time. If you know you won’t, there’s no reason to play.

4. If you can’t remove the stress, remove yourself. Slip away once in a while for some private time. These quiet moments may give you a fresh perspective on your problems. Avoid stressful people. For example, if you don’t get along with your father-in-law but you don’t want to make an issue of it, invite other in-laws at the same time you invite him. Having other people around will absorb some of the pressure you would normally feel.

5. Competing with others, whether in accomplishments, appearance, or possessions, is an avoidable source of stress. You might know people who do all they can to provoke envy in others. While it may seem easy to say you should be satisfied with what you have, it’s the truth. Stress from this kind of jealousy is self-inflicted.

6. Laborsaving devices, such as cellular phones or computer hookups, often encourage us to cram too many activities into each day. Before you buy new equipment, be sure that it will really improve your life. Be aware that taking care of equipment and getting it repaired can be stressful.

7. Try doing only one thing at a time. For example, when you’re riding your exercise bike, you don’t have to listen to the radio or watch television.

8. Remember, sometimes it’s okay to do nothing.

9. If you suffer from insomnia, headaches, recurring colds, or stomach upsets, consider whether stress is part of the problem. Being chronically angry, frustrated, or apprehensive can deplete your physical resources.

10. If you feel stress (or anything else) is getting the better of you, seek professional help — a doctor or therapist. Early signs of excess stress are loss of a sense of well-being and reluctance to get up in the morning to face another day.

Read more: http://www.rd.com/health/wellness/10-ways-to-manage-stress/#ixzz2yp80iogN

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
11. Go stress people to relief your stress.

Monday is here again. Inevitable to feel some stress. Here's some stress busters:

Stress is a normal part of life and usually comes from everyday occurrences. Here are some ways you can deal with everyday sources of stress.

http://www.rd.com/health/wellness/10-ways-to-manage-stress/

1. Eliminate as many sources of stress as you can. For example, if crowds bother you, go to the supermarket when you know the lines won’t be too long. Try renting videotapes rather than going to crowded movie theaters. Clear up the clutter in your life by giving away or throwing away the things that get in your way. A garage sale is one effective way to do this.

2. If you are always running late, sit down with a pencil and paper and see how you are actually allotting your time. Say it takes you 40 minutes to get to work. Are you leaving your house on time? You may be able to solve your problem (and de-stress your life a bit) just by being realistic. If you can’t find the time for all the activities that are important to you, maybe you are trying to do too much. Again, make a list of what you do during the day and how much each activity takes. Then cut back.

3. Avoid predictably stressful situations. If a certain sport or game makes you tense (whether it’s tennis or bridge), decline the invitation to play. After all, the point of these activities is to have a good time. If you know you won’t, there’s no reason to play.

4. If you can’t remove the stress, remove yourself. Slip away once in a while for some private time. These quiet moments may give you a fresh perspective on your problems. Avoid stressful people. For example, if you don’t get along with your father-in-law but you don’t want to make an issue of it, invite other in-laws at the same time you invite him. Having other people around will absorb some of the pressure you would normally feel.

5. Competing with others, whether in accomplishments, appearance, or possessions, is an avoidable source of stress. You might know people who do all they can to provoke envy in others. While it may seem easy to say you should be satisfied with what you have, it’s the truth. Stress from this kind of jealousy is self-inflicted.

6. Laborsaving devices, such as cellular phones or computer hookups, often encourage us to cram too many activities into each day. Before you buy new equipment, be sure that it will really improve your life. Be aware that taking care of equipment and getting it repaired can be stressful.

7. Try doing only one thing at a time. For example, when you’re riding your exercise bike, you don’t have to listen to the radio or watch television.

8. Remember, sometimes it’s okay to do nothing.

9. If you suffer from insomnia, headaches, recurring colds, or stomach upsets, consider whether stress is part of the problem. Being chronically angry, frustrated, or apprehensive can deplete your physical resources.

10. If you feel stress (or anything else) is getting the better of you, seek professional help — a doctor or therapist. Early signs of excess stress are loss of a sense of well-being and reluctance to get up in the morning to face another day.

Read more: http://www.rd.com/health/wellness/10-ways-to-manage-stress/#ixzz2yp80iogN

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here are four simple techniques for managing stress:

Positive self-talk
Emergency stress stoppers
Finding pleasure
Daily relaxation

1) Positive Self-Talk

Self-talk is one way to deal with stress. We all talk to ourselves; sometimes we talk out loud but usually we keep self-talk in our heads. Self-talk can be positive ("I can do this" or "Things will work out") or negative ("I'll never get well" or "I'm so stupid").

Negative self-talk increases stress. Positive self-talk helps you calm down and control stress. With practice, you can learn to turn negative thoughts into positive ones. For example:

Negative Positive
"I can't do this." "I'll do the best I can."
"Everything is going wrong." "I can handle things if I take one step at a time."
"I hate it when this happens." "I know how to deal with this; I've done it before."

To help you feel better, practice positive self-talk every day — in the car, at your desk, before you go to bed or whenever you notice negative thoughts.

Having trouble getting started? Try positive statements such as these:

"I can get help if I need it."
"We can work it out."
"I won't let this problem get me down."
"Things could be worse."
"I'm human, and we all make mistakes."
"Some day I'll laugh about this."
"I can deal with this situation when I feel better."
Remember: Positive self-talk helps you relieve stress and deal with the situations that cause you stress.

2) Emergency Stress Stoppers

There are many stressful situations — at work, at home, on the road and in public places. We may feel stress because of poor communication, too much work and everyday hassles like standing in line. Emergency stress stoppers help you deal with stress on the spot.

Try these emergency stress stoppers. You may need different stress stoppers for different situations and sometimes it helps to combine them.

Count to 10 before you speak.
Take three to five deep breaths.
Walk away from the stressful situation, and say you'll handle it later.
Go for a walk.
Don't be afraid to say "I'm sorry" if you make a mistake.
Set your watch five to 10 minutes ahead to avoid the stress of being late.
Break down big problems into smaller parts. For example, answer one letter or phone call per day, instead of dealing with everything at once.
Drive in the slow lane or avoid busy roads to help you stay calm while driving.
Smell a rose, hug a loved one or smile at your neighbor.
John Hammerly Talking About Coping Video

3) Finding Pleasure

When stress makes you feel bad, do something that makes you feel good. Doing things you enjoy is a natural way to fight off stress.

You don't have to do a lot to find pleasure. Even if you're ill or down, you can find pleasure in simple things such as going for a drive, chatting with a friend or reading a good book.

Try to do at least one thing every day that you enjoy, even if you only do it for 15 minutes.

Start an art project (oil paint, sketch, create a scrap book or finger paint with grandchildren).
Take up a hobby, new or old.
Read a favorite book, short story, magazine or newspaper.
Have coffee or a meal with friends.
Play golf, tennis, ping-pong or bowl.
Sew, knit or crochet.
Listen to music during or after you practice relaxation.
Take a nature walk — listen to the birds, identify trees and flowers.
Make a list of everything you still want to do in life.
Watch an old movie on TV or rent a video.
Take a class at your local college.
Play cards or board games with family and friends.

4) Daily Relaxation

Relaxation is more than sitting in your favorite chair watching TV. To relieve stress, relaxation should calm the tension in your mind and body. Some good forms of relaxation are yoga, tai chi (a series of slow, graceful movements) and meditation.

Like most skills, relaxation takes practice. Many people join a class to learn and practice relaxation skills.

Deep breathing is a form of relaxation you can learn and practice at home using the following steps. It's a good skill to practice as you start or end your day. With daily practice, you will soon be able to use this skill whenever you feel stress.

Sit in a comfortable position with your feet on the floor and your hands in your lap or lie down. Close your eyes.
Picture yourself in a peaceful place. Perhaps you're lying on the beach, walking in the mountains or floating in the clouds. Hold this scene in your mind.
Inhale and exhale. Focus on breathing slowly and deeply.
Continue to breathe slowly for 10 minutes or more.
Try to take at least five to 10 minutes every day for deep breathing or another form of relaxation.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

How do one compete with others on appearance ?
A chiobu or a handsome hunk looks good in anything, even naked. A pig no matter how they dress is still a pig :cool:

Last edited:

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Zzzzzz! only 14 yo kid need to read your article, sigh!. Adult handles stress is to pass your stress to someone. :smile:

Here are four simple techniques for managing stress:

Positive self-talk
Emergency stress stoppers
Finding pleasure
Daily relaxation

1) Positive Self-Talk

Self-talk is one way to deal with stress. We all talk to ourselves; sometimes we talk out loud but usually we keep self-talk in our heads. Self-talk can be positive ("I can do this" or "Things will work out") or negative ("I'll never get well" or "I'm so stupid").

Negative self-talk increases stress. Positive self-talk helps you calm down and control stress. With practice, you can learn to turn negative thoughts into positive ones. For example:

Negative Positive
"I can't do this." "I'll do the best I can."
"Everything is going wrong." "I can handle things if I take one step at a time."
"I hate it when this happens." "I know how to deal with this; I've done it before."

To help you feel better, practice positive self-talk every day — in the car, at your desk, before you go to bed or whenever you notice negative thoughts.

Having trouble getting started? Try positive statements such as these:

"I can get help if I need it."
"We can work it out."
"I won't let this problem get me down."
"Things could be worse."
"I'm human, and we all make mistakes."
"Some day I'll laugh about this."
"I can deal with this situation when I feel better."
Remember: Positive self-talk helps you relieve stress and deal with the situations that cause you stress.

2) Emergency Stress Stoppers

There are many stressful situations — at work, at home, on the road and in public places. We may feel stress because of poor communication, too much work and everyday hassles like standing in line. Emergency stress stoppers help you deal with stress on the spot.

Try these emergency stress stoppers. You may need different stress stoppers for different situations and sometimes it helps to combine them.

Count to 10 before you speak.
Take three to five deep breaths.
Walk away from the stressful situation, and say you'll handle it later.
Go for a walk.
Don't be afraid to say "I'm sorry" if you make a mistake.
Set your watch five to 10 minutes ahead to avoid the stress of being late.
Break down big problems into smaller parts. For example, answer one letter or phone call per day, instead of dealing with everything at once.
Drive in the slow lane or avoid busy roads to help you stay calm while driving.
Smell a rose, hug a loved one or smile at your neighbor.
John Hammerly Talking About Coping Video

3) Finding Pleasure

When stress makes you feel bad, do something that makes you feel good. Doing things you enjoy is a natural way to fight off stress.

You don't have to do a lot to find pleasure. Even if you're ill or down, you can find pleasure in simple things such as going for a drive, chatting with a friend or reading a good book.

Try to do at least one thing every day that you enjoy, even if you only do it for 15 minutes.

Start an art project (oil paint, sketch, create a scrap book or finger paint with grandchildren).
Take up a hobby, new or old.
Read a favorite book, short story, magazine or newspaper.
Have coffee or a meal with friends.
Play golf, tennis, ping-pong or bowl.
Sew, knit or crochet.
Listen to music during or after you practice relaxation.
Take a nature walk — listen to the birds, identify trees and flowers.
Make a list of everything you still want to do in life.
Watch an old movie on TV or rent a video.
Take a class at your local college.
Play cards or board games with family and friends.

4) Daily Relaxation

Relaxation is more than sitting in your favorite chair watching TV. To relieve stress, relaxation should calm the tension in your mind and body. Some good forms of relaxation are yoga, tai chi (a series of slow, graceful movements) and meditation.

Like most skills, relaxation takes practice. Many people join a class to learn and practice relaxation skills.

Deep breathing is a form of relaxation you can learn and practice at home using the following steps. It's a good skill to practice as you start or end your day. With daily practice, you will soon be able to use this skill whenever you feel stress.

Sit in a comfortable position with your feet on the floor and your hands in your lap or lie down. Close your eyes.
Picture yourself in a peaceful place. Perhaps you're lying on the beach, walking in the mountains or floating in the clouds. Hold this scene in your mind.
Inhale and exhale. Focus on breathing slowly and deeply.
Continue to breathe slowly for 10 minutes or more.
Try to take at least five to 10 minutes every day for deep breathing or another form of relaxation.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The best way to remove stress is to support the PAP 100% and all your worries, frustrations and sorrows will melt away in no time.

I've been doing that for the last 2 decades and it has worked wonders.

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
you are so protected here, You go NZ for fuck? Come back here to contribute more, we need you, the country need you.

The best way to remove stress is to support the PAP 100% and all your worries, frustrations and sorrows will melt away in no time.

I've been doing that for the last 2 decades and it has worked wonders.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One of the easiest way to reduce stress is to stay away from Sinkies!

Or get out/away from Sillipore with its trains sounding like its Manila, HBD full of noisy shouting Ah Tiongs and condos smelling like Delhi.

For those who can't get out, better so something in 2016 to kick these foreigner loving goons out.

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
More young professionals suffering from burn-out

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/si...ung-professionals-suffering-burn-out-20140414

BY AMELIA TAN
For the past three years, investment banker Andy was plagued by nightmares because of stress from his 14-hour work days. He was moody all the time. Food became a source of comfort, and his weight went from 70kg to 80kg.

Three weeks ago, Andy, 29, who declined to give his full name, decided to quit.

His case is not uncommon, say doctors and human resource experts. More young professionals are ending up with medical problems, including insomnia, depression and hypertension, because of extra-long work hours.

After seeing more of his patients between their 20s and 30s suffering from depression, GP Quek Koh Choon highlighted the issue in a letter in The Straits Times Forum Page last month.

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/si...fering-burn-out-20140414#sthash.Lzc2Bxp8.dpuf