• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

This is why you don't ask seniors to sell their flats for their retirement

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
When you are old and have to move to a new place you are not accustomed to, falls happen much more often.

The trauma centre at Tan Tock Seng Hospital, the busiest emergency department in Singapore.

The busiest trauma centre here is seeing a worrying increase in the proportion of elderly patients - highlighting the need for fall prevention as Singapore ages. Tan Tock Seng Hospital's (TTSH) emergency department handles 38,000 trauma cases a year - about a third of all such cases here. In 2012 and 2013, one in five patients needed to be warded. Among the elderly, however, more than half needed to be hospitalised, the hospital has revealed. Over this period, seniors with fall-related injuries made up nearly half of all cases of trauma, which refers to physical injury due to causes ranging from traffic accidents to burns.

Comments: From Xian Lian Zeng

The installation of hand-hold and rails for elderly people should be done long before the need arises. So that they form habits to use them and get the 'hang' of things when they do need them - even when their eyesight deteriorates.

Which is why to let the elderly 'downgrade' or move house is a disorientating...move. We are creatures of habit whether we like it or not. And especially when we age. We should have some certainty of a home we know even when the lights are out and we are up...and going.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah it should not become the expectation for elderly to sell their house or flat as part of retirement. People should have the right to grow old in the environment they are familiar with.

jw5

Loyal
This is what happens when you get a government who don't have the best interests of the people at heart and when their main priority is not to make the lives of ordinary citizens better.

Just because they themselves look at everything from a money objective, they assume that everyone else, even those much less well off, will want to "monetize their flat" or "cash in on their assets".

Please press the restart button and vote them all out.
For all you know, they might come back more humble and willing to work for the people's interest. You might even get the really materialistic bad weeds to leave politics forever, if they have to become opposition candidates.

Yeah it should not become the expectation for elderly to sell their house or flat as part of retirement. People should have the right to grow old in the environment they are familiar with.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What kind of 1 sided logic is this? in ang mor land, heaps of old people downgrade to smaller houses or retirement homes,,,they dont have these disorientating problem,,,,

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
What kind of 1 sided logic is this? in ang mor land, heaps of old people downgrade to smaller houses or retirement homes,,,they dont have these disorientating problem,,,,

Angmors are very independent and active in their old age, and live in their homes until they die. The same house that they bought when they got married, raised all their kids, etc. Its call freehold property. If they are not able to look after themselves, they move to a AFFORDABLE retirement home. Whether they move or not move, the choice is theirs. Can say that in Sinkieland or not? U got fuckers like Cow urging you to sell your flat to fund your retirement.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cow is the worse sort of Hokkein,,the mudlander type,,,what do u expect? Blame the voters for voting him in,,,If i retire and have to sell my home so be it,,at least i got money to be comfortable,,,i wont be bothered about i down grade etc,,anyway its also the old people fault for living too long,,,if live a shorter life and enjoy and konk out by 60,,nothing wrong in that,,,now cos of increase life expectency have to work till 70,,at 40 already feel old,,still have to tahan to 70,,what kind of fuck up logic is that?

Angmors are very independent and active in their old age, and live in their homes until they die. The same house that they bought when they got married, raised all their kids, etc. Its call freehold property. If they are not able to look after themselves, they move to a AFFORDABLE retirement home. Whether they move or not move, the choice is theirs. Can say that in Sinkieland or not? U got fuckers like Cow urging you to sell your flat to fund your retirement.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Please press the restart button and vote them all out.
For all you know, they might come back more humble and willing to work for the people's interest. You might even get the really materialistic bad weeds to leave politics forever, if they have to become opposition candidates.

U have more faith than me. There is no redemption from these assholes.

jw5

Loyal
My theory is that they are not all evil, but have all been negatively influenced by an extremely pervasive and disgusting mentality that has been inherited or acquired through the years, such that it has now become almost second nature for them.

Still need to be voted out. Every single one of them.
That will be the time to scrutinize the new government from the alternative parties, to see which of them have got that mentality too.
Then the cycle carries on and the power is with the people, not the politicians.

U have more faith than me. There is no redemption from these assholes.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Surname cow is Hakka people.

This is good imagination and live a quality life style pretend you have a terminal disease given 6 months. Use the time to enjoy with your spouse ands children.

Buy insurance before you die at least your spouse get some money from your suicide death, whatsoever.

Live too long eat up your grandchildren fortune, teochew hao lian kia will tell you this.

Cow is the worse sort of Hokkein,,the mudlander type,,,what do u expect? Blame the voters for voting him in,,,If i retire and have to sell my home so be it,,at least i got money to be comfortable,,,i wont be bothered about i down grade etc,,anyway its also the old people fault for living too long,,,if live a shorter life and enjoy and konk out by 60,,nothing wrong in that,,,now cos of increase life expectency have to work till 70,,at 40 already feel old,,still have to tahan to 70,,what kind of fuck up logic is that?

Last edited:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
it is up to the gen X and Y to fight, the baby boomers can only follow tick vote boxes these gens want them to do.

My theory is that they are not all evil, but have all been negatively influenced by an extremely pervasive and disgusting mentality that has been inherited or acquired through the years, such that it has now become almost second nature for them.

Still need to be voted out. Every single one of them.
That will be the time to scrutinize the new government from the alternative parties, to see which of them have got that mentality too.
Then the cycle carries on and the power is with the people, not the politicians.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
before you are really that old, go find a nice kampung house, preferably a fishing village in Malaysia where there is access to fresh fish everyday within walking distance and if you kaputs, the neighbour will notice. Just leave the house to the villagers after that as a token of appreciation.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Agree.

Although I have to clear the green moss from the pond, a task that is getting difficult with age, my attap house holds a sense of belonging !:o:smile:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hokkiens r kia su, kia see, kia bor, kiam siup n die dont want face... Hakkas r 'kan' these 2 lots deserve each other...

Surname cow is Hakka people.

This is good imagination and live a quality life style pretend you have a terminal disease given 6 months. Use the time to enjoy with your spouse ands children.

Buy insurance before you die at least your spouse get some money from your suicide death, whatsoever.

Live too long eat up your grandchildren fortune, teochew hao lian kia will tell you this.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
before you are really that old, go find a nice kampung house, preferably a fishing village in Malaysia where there is access to fresh fish everyday within walking distance and if you kaputs, the neighbour will notice. Just leave the house to the villagers after that as a token of appreciation.

Malaysia is already my retirement plan. Places like Ipoh remind me of the old days of SIngapore when life was nice. Cheap food, affordable health care, cheap housing and cars, and the clincher, cheap massage.