• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Passport of Convenience

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Vancouver and Toronto remains popular. Any reason why Calgary and Edmonton lag behind? Weather?

Calgary is getting popular because of oil and gas industry. Petronas sending lots of people there. Likewise the Ah Tiongs with their purchase of Nexen.
Edmonton ...nothing there, it is like Canberra, university and government dominate the city.

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I moved to Markham because I got a job in Scarborough. The two Chinese malls are Pacific Mall and First Markham Place. Also there are plenty of Chinese operated shops, restaurants and cafes around. It is a very Chinese oriented neighbourhood. Even the banks and car dealerships' employees are geared to target the Chinese. Cantonese is the main language and is quickly giving in to Mandarin. In a number of open spaces, it is not unusual to see groups of Asians practicing Tai Chi. No complains, we can buy a whole roast duck for sixteen bucks!

Cheers!

I heard from friends that the Ah Tiongs are paying big bucks for houses there. Consequently, the houses are there are in the million dollar range.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I moved to Markham because I got a job in Scarborough. The two Chinese malls are Pacific Mall and First Markham Place. Also there are plenty of Chinese operated shops, restaurants and cafes around. It is a very Chinese oriented neighbourhood. Even the banks and car dealerships' employees are geared to target the Chinese. Cantonese is the main language and is quickly giving in to Mandarin. In a number of open spaces, it is not unusual to see groups of Asians practicing Tai Chi. No complains, we can buy a whole roast duck for sixteen bucks!

Cheers!

Thank you.
I have been to those two shopping malls once or twice, because all these decades, I have lived in downtown Toronto.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Calgary and Edmonton are relatively "newcomers" but there is a Chinatown in Calgary. They are growing. My friend's daughter graduate from Univ. of Toronto and couldn't find a job for over half a year, visited a friend in Calgary, and received an offer within one week. She came back to Toronto to get her belongings and moved there. Lots of other Canadians are moving there and property prices are climbing. Toronto is the commercial centre of Canada and tied in with the Great Lakes region of USA, so it is a magnet for economic activity. Vancouver is closest to Asia. All in all, Canada is a fucking huge country. The province of Ontario alone is larger than East and West Germany combined! The main cities are rather crowded but once outside, there is lots of unsettled wilderness.

Cheers!

Vancouver and Toronto remains popular. Any reason why Calgary and Edmonton lag behind? Weather?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
The truth is the Chinese immigrants cover a wide range, from the rich blokes to the regular labourer to the professional working class. But the wealthy are prominent because people easily notice big houses and luxury brand cars. The rich Chinese gravitate to where there is a prominent Chinese community because they are familiar with the cuisine, the services (sinseh shops) and comfortable with the language as they lack English proficiency. Put it this way, the first house I bought was a semi-detached house in a white neighbourhood, it was the biggest on the street there. After that, I moved to a bungalow house in an Asian neighbourhood, it was the smallest house there. In my parking lot was a Honda Civic, the rest of the cars along the street, majority with Benzs and Lexus.

Cheers!

I heard from friends that the Ah Tiongs are paying big bucks for houses there. Consequently, the houses are there are in the million dollar range.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Calgary and Edmonton are relatively "newcomers" but there is a Chinatown in Calgary. They are growing. My friend's daughter graduate from Univ. of Toronto and couldn't find a job for over half a year, visited a friend in Calgary, and received an offer within one week. She came back to Toronto to get her belongings and moved there. Lots of other Canadians are moving there and property prices are climbing. Toronto is the commercial centre of Canada and tied in with the Great Lakes region of USA, so it is a magnet for economic activity. Vancouver is closest to Asia. All in all, Canada is a fucking huge country. The province of Ontario alone is larger than East and West Germany combined! The main cities are rather crowded but once outside, there is lots of unsettled wilderness.

Cheers!

I was in Montreal many years ago. Charming city. But not many Asians favour Montreal. Was much easier to move around than Quebec city.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I know of a few Made-In-China Singapore passports that are used outside Singapore only.

Also contain Singapore immigration chops for bonus :biggrin:

Last edited: