• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Gems from Aussie forums

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sorry to be as long-winded as yourself, Rob, but this old story makes Friday night entertainment so much easier.

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to $100...
If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this...
The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
The fifth would pay $1.
The sixth would pay $3.
The seventh would pay $7..
The eighth would pay $12..
The ninth would pay $18.
The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

So, that's what they decided to do..

The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve ball. "Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20". Drinks for the ten men would now cost just $80.
The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes. So the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. But what about the other six men ? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his fair share?
They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer.
So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by a higher percentage the poorer he was, to follow the principle of the tax system they had been using, and he proceeded to work out the amounts he suggested that each should now pay.
And so the fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% saving).
The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33% saving).
The seventh now paid $5 instead of $7 (28% saving).
The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% saving).
The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% saving).
The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% saving).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free. But, once outside the bar, the men began to compare their savings.
"I only got a dollar out of the $20 saving," declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man, "but he got $10!"
"Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a dollar too. It's unfair that he got ten times more benefit than me!"
"That's true!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $10 back, when I got only $2? The wealthy get all the breaks!"
"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison, "we didn't get anything at all. This new tax system exploits the poor!"

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had their beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and government ministers, is how our tax system works. The people who already pay the highest taxes will naturally get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas, where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

Opehsom

At least the 4 men (poorest) still got beer every day without paying. There are bars that are no pay no beer and as long as you are first found inside those bars, even thought never got any beer, must still stand-up for the bar ‘owner’, at any moment notice, to put out fire, repel bandits, to protect the other drinking men and their beer!

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good story Neddy...i realise that taxing the rich etc is not the way to go. But neither should the working class pay for the politicians, civil serpents n trailer park trash. What is needed is to tax the rich indirectly. Like in Oz. Tax luxuries etc more. Like LV bags. Luxury cars n those atas pepper mint grove etc pay much more in transaction fees etc. What is 2million to the rich to buy a ferrari?

koala88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good story Neddy...i realise that taxing the rich etc is not the way to go. But neither should the working class pay for the politicians, civil serpents n trailer park trash. What is needed is to tax the rich indirectly. Like in Oz. Tax luxuries etc more. Like LV bags. Luxury cars n those atas pepper mint grove etc pay much more in transaction fees etc. What is 2million to the rich to buy a ferrari?

Mercedes C Class Estate C250 CDI Avantgarde - no Luxury Car Tax in NSW Australia.

koala88

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is what is wrong with Oz,,,make the working class pay taxes but let the rich pay less,,,becoming as bad as singkie land

Bro, I laid the bait and you fell for it. Not meant to be for you but some PAP IB.

Merc higher than that model will entail a luxury tax. Any car valued more than A$60,000+ will have a Luxury Car Tax.

My point - even working class can aspire to own a decent Mercedes without being taxed.

Only truly luxury car will be taxed. Check out those E / S class merc - all come with complementary luxury car tax.

Saw the parliamentary proceeding broadcast @ ABC. Labour truly screwed Oz real bad. Check out Joe Hockey's speech today. Under Labour, among the G20, Australia has the fastest increase in deficit as well as in debt. Faster than US when they have the QE going?

Blame it on that red hair witch and that useless swan eunuch.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The blame also should fall on Liberals as they tried to screw the working class with their work choices. And if one is working class,,own a fucking merc for fuck??? normal car cannot ah? If u see the other threads,,Neddy etc is praising the Hyundai and it seems the Hyundai is getting 'better'. To be honest, I wanted to get a BMW 320i,, the 2.2 V6 one,,but when I think of the repair cost etc, I backed out,,,as I cannot afford it...what I am saying is if tax the rich directly one gets screwed,,but if tax them indirectly and stop fucking up the working class...that is what I am saying..Look at the excesses of the australians nows,,,no wonder it gets bad to worse,,,

Bro, I laid the bait and you fell for it. Not meant to be for you but some PAP IB.

Merc higher than that model will entail a luxury tax. Any car valued more than A$60,000+ will have a Luxury Car Tax.

My point - even working class can aspire to own a decent Mercedes without being taxed.

Only truly luxury car will be taxed. Check out those E / S class merc - all come with complementary luxury car tax.

Saw the parliamentary proceeding broadcast @ ABC. Labour truly screwed Oz real bad. Check out Joe Hockey's speech today. Under Labour, among the G20, Australia has the fastest increase in deficit as well as in debt. Faster than US when they have the QE going?

Blame it on that red hair witch and that useless swan eunuch.

koala88

Alfrescian
Loyal
The blame also should fall on Liberals as they tried to screw the working class with their work choices. And if one is working class,,own a fucking merc for fuck??? normal car cannot ah? If u see the other threads,,Neddy etc is praising the Hyundai and it seems the Hyundai is getting 'better'. To be honest, I wanted to get a BMW 320i,, the 2.2 V6 one,,but when I think of the repair cost etc, I backed out,,,as I cannot afford it...what I am saying is if tax the rich directly one gets screwed,,but if tax them indirectly and stop fucking up the working class...that is what I am saying..Look at the excesses of the australians nows,,,no wonder it gets bad to worse,,,

The rich are paying much less direct tax than most of us coz they have an army of accountants working for them. Agree that tax the rich indirectly and spare the working class would be the best.

Hiyah, working class own merc for bait lah.

No, don't blame the Liberals. They inherited the problem. Blame the Greens and that red hair bitch for the big screwed up & excesses.

What car Neddy got? Hyundai got 5 years warranty?

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hyundai got 5 years warranty,,that is their + point,,but the catch is must sent to hyundai for servicing,,,also I find hyundai parts are hard to find,,,Koreans dont believe in stocking up on parts and parts sales...

The Liberals under John howard sowed the seeds for this economic mess, labour went to freaking throw more shit on it to ensure the seeds grown to a big tree and that is the problem. Also the problem is the fuck up voter,,I mean they vote Greens and the greens are the main trouble makers for all this,,,

The Liberals can solve the problem properly but they also pander too much to the interest groups....look at the pathatic attempt to charge $5.00 to go see the Dr and end bulk billing,,already pay the fucking medicare levy not enough ah???

and this is just 1 example..what about the paid parental leave scheme? I mean why must tax payers pay for people to breed?? they cant afford, dont breed lah,,,

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-...g-crusade-ignores-vital-health-report/5289726

[h=1]Cost-cutting crusade ignores health savings[/h]The Drum
By Deborah Gleeson
Posted Fri 28 Feb 2014, 7:23am AEDT
Photo: The burial of the Review of Pharmaceutical Patents report could lead to worrying outcomes. (AFP)

Health of a nation? Hardly. The burial of a pharmaceutical review could cost taxpayers hundreds of millions and pave the way for kneejerk policy, writes Deborah Gleeson.
While Treasurer Joe Hockey is complaining that Australia is running out of money to fund the health system, the Coalition Government has buried a report with recommendations for large-scale savings on drug costs.
Not long before the Gonski Review website vanished in late 2013, a less well known but potentially equally important review also quietly disappeared from view. Unlike the Gonski Review, this particular disappearing act barely made a ripple on the public's consciousness. But the burial of the findings and recommendations of the Review of Pharmaceutical Patents has huge economic, social and health implications for Australia.
The review began in 2012 and released a highly controversial draft report in April 2013. The final report was delivered in May to the previous government, but still has not been released.
The Minister for Industry Ian Macfarlane recently indicated in Parliament that the current Government was not planning to release the final report, and was not even considering the recommendations in the draft report. And some time in the second half of 2013 the website for the review was taken offline along with all of the submissions. The draft report and background paper are still available through the IP Australia website.
The draft report was controversial primarily because it highlighted the ballooning cost of granting extensions beyond the standard 20-year term for pharmaceutical patents. Since 1998, patent holders have been able to obtain extensions of up to five years to compensate for delays in issuing patents or in obtaining regulatory approval for a pharmaceutical.
Patent term extensions were originally made allowable under Australian law to encourage investment in research and development. But this comes at a heavy cost. While a product is under patent, cheaper generic versions of the drug cannot be manufactured or sold. The draft report flagged that patent term extensions already cost Australian taxpayers in the order of hundreds of millions of dollars a year.
The draft report foreshadowed that the panel was developing economic estimates of the savings that could be made if patent term extensions were reduced. Where are these figures? These fiscal statistics have been buried along with the final report.
And in case our policy makers need any more convincing, the panel found that extending patents was not an effective way to stimulate investment in research and development, since those decisions are not made near the end of patent terms. The draft report suggested reducing the current five-year extension to patent terms and instead introducing a direct subsidy for Australian R&D targeted specifically to areas that would be of benefit to the community.
The panel's draft report was also highly critical of the current negotiations for the Trans Pacific Partnership Agreement, a regional trade agreement Australia is in the final stages of negotiating with 11 other countries. Leaked negotiating documents show the US has proposed intellectual property (IP) settings that would expand the range of patents eligible for patent term extensions, adding further costs to the PBS for Australian taxpayers. This is just one of the many provisions proposed for this trade agreement that would expand and extend patent monopolies and delay the availability of cheaper generic drugs.
The draft report questioned whether Australia's approach to trade agreements was based on "a broad economic understanding of what approach to IP is in Australia's and other countries' interests". And it recommended that:
"The Government should strongly resist changes - such as retrospective extensions of patent rights - which are likely to reduce world economic welfare and lead other countries in opposing such measures."
In the Government's haste to conclude the Trans Pacific Partnership negotiations, it is not surprising it is unwilling to consider the findings of the Review of Pharmaceutical Patents or to make them publicly available. This approach is consistent with the regrettable lack of transparency surrounding the TPP negotiations themselves.
But the burial of the final report, the submissions made to the review and the economic estimates of the costs of patent term extension is particularly concerning in the light of the current Government's search for cost-cutting measures.
It will be a shame if we end up with knee-jerk policies like $6 GP co-payments in an attempt to cut health system costs when sensible reforms to patent law could generate hundreds of millions of dollars of savings through the PBS. And an even worse prospect would be the further extension of patent monopolies through our international trade agreements, adding hundreds more millions to the health budget.
How does this add up, Mr Hockey?
Dr Deborah Gleeson is a lecturer in the School of Public Health and Human Biosciences at La Trobe University. View her full profile here.
The rich are paying much less direct tax than most of us coz they have an army of accountants working for them. Agree that tax the rich indirectly and spare the working class would be the best.

No, don't blame the Liberals. They inherited the problem. Blame the Greens and that red hair bitch for the big screwed up & excesses.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Neddy driving underpowered Mazda3 weekdays and Santa Fe weekends for new driving experience.

Landcruisers have not changed in the last 3 decades, Corollas have not changed in the past decade.
Honda is stuck like Nissan.

Gave up on Merc, BMW and Volvo - Those toys are fun when they are new.

The problem with news in Australia is that we get overwhelmed - In Singapore, you do not experience this.
The news are designed to consume us and and make us feel rather despaired.

While it is true that the redhead was possibly the worst PM Australia ever had, we are also quite happy that she can't do too much damage. We are still contented sipping lattes and enjoying what are important to us.

I admit that I am fighting to keep my protected comfortable life, so are everyone else, be they from the Left or Right, Green or Tea Party.
Never lose sight of what you came to Australia for.
Life is short.

Last edited: