• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's not that gloomy, they are doing some of the things right. They know that have to do things sg cannot do. For example, industries that require large piece of land like factories, pinewood studio, fastrack, themeparks. Coupled with cheaper quality housing and shopping options, they might just make it work. Worst case, it remains as a backyard and a retirement option for the 900k retirees from sg.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's a good point.
For Johor to compete at the same level as singapore they must find a separate niche.
Else whenever the price starts to edge up, the buyers would just rather pop over to singapore to get it.
I wonder what's happening to JPO ?

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's a good point.
For Johor to compete at the same level as singapore they must find a separate niche.
Else whenever the price starts to edge up, the buyers would just rather pop over to singapore to get it.
I wonder what's happening to JPO ?

Genting is expanding JPO to double its size. Not sure if it has been completed.
I am just thinking...RWS > Ferry to PH > Bus to JPO and back for day trip guests.
If I am Genting, I will do that.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am just thinking...RWS > Ferry to PH > Bus to JPO and back for day trip guests.

Similar to..
Affirmative! Coastal attack!! :p

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

No lah, its not like that, its got nothing to do with JB or RWS!
Its like this :

After the success of the Johor Premium Outlets (JPO), Genting Group and its partner, Simon Property Group, will build a RM200 million premium outlet in Genting Highlands, a hill resort about 55km from Kuala Lumpur.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/...ting-set-to-woo-shoppers-with-premium-outlets

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
No lah, its not like that, its got nothing to do with JB or RWS!
Its like this :

After the success of the Johor Premium Outlets (JPO), Genting Group and its partner, Simon Property Group, will build a RM200 million premium outlet in Genting Highlands, a hill resort about 55km from Kuala Lumpur.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/...ting-set-to-woo-shoppers-with-premium-outlets

Ok lah...after JPO Johore....go straight to up there.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Johor Premium Outlets® Phase II Expansion Now Open

JOHOR, Malaysia, Nov. 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Genting Simon, a joint venture between Genting Group and Simon Property Group, Inc. (NYSE:SPG), announced today it has opened the second phase of Johor Premium Outlets® by adding 40 new stores and 100,000 square feet to the popular retail landmark. With this enhancement, 120 stores will be open to greet shoppers.

Located strategically at the intersection of the North-South Expressway and Second Link Expressway, Johor Premium Outlets opened in 2011 and has become a popular shopping destination for the most fashion conscious and discerning of shoppers from Malaysia, Singapore and around the world. Its current collection of designer and name brands includes Adidas, Armani, Brooks Brothers, Burberry, Canali, ck Calvin Klein, Coach, DKNY, Esprit, Ermenegildo Zegna, Evita Peroni, Fossil, Gap, Geox, Guess, Lacoste, Levi's, Michael Kors, Nike, Oroton, Royal Selangor, Salvatore Ferragamo, Swiss Watch Gallery, Timberland, Tommy Hilfiger, Tumi, Victoria's Secret and many more.

Phase II adds a new roster of brands including Aigner, BCBGMAXAZRIA, Beauty Scents, Bread & Butter, Columbia, Cotton On Kids, Florsheim, Furla, Hush Puppies, LeSportsac, Pan-West, Sacoor Brothers, Sembonia, Springfield, Stride Rite, Sunglass Hut, Swatch and World of Outdoors. Select new stores including American Eagle, Calvin Klein Jeans, Calvin Klein Underwear, Guy Laroche, Hugo Boss, Kate Spade, Paris Hilton and Tory Burch will open soon.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
UEM Sunrise on shelving project
Rennie Whang
The Straits TimesFriday, May 29, 2015

20a8hzd.jpg

The start-up phase of Nusajaya Tech Park, a joint venture between Ascendas Group and UEM Sunrise, will be ready at the end of next year.

UEM Sunrise's decision to shelve a major project in the Iskandar development zone was "purely based on commercial reasons", the firm said yesterday.

Its move to walk away from the Asian Trade Centre came "after considering the operating licence and working visa requirements necessary to make it viable".

The master developer of Nusajaya, one of five flagship zones of Iskandar, said in a media statement that it is committed to building sustainable communities. "Retail is a key part of our long-term strategy for Nusajaya."

UEM Sunrise was responding to a Straits Times article on Tuesday reporting the firm would not be proceeding with plans to develop the project, which was to have been built over 48ha.

The first phase of the project was to have been a 1.4 million sq ft trade exhibition centre showcasing international and local manufacturers.

The Asian Trade Centre was among several catalytic projects announced for the Gerbang Nusajaya area, a 1,800ha region on which the second-phase development of Nusajaya is centred.

But the time is not yet ripe for the Asian Trade Centre, said PA Property Consultants executive director V. Sivadas. "(As a) massive regional commercial project, the Asian Trade Centre would have required a substantial population base and smooth movement of people and goods between this region and Singapore. At this stage, Gerbang Nusajaya in particular and Nusajaya in general are still in their infancy stage," he said.

"It makes commercial sense to delay the project, at least until a bigger number of people reside here and the Rapid Transit System and High Speed Rail projects begin construction. And who knows, there could be a better proposal in the pipeline."

UEM Sunrise said yesterday Gerbang Nusajaya is "on course to become the commercial and business engine for Nusajaya".

Gerbang Nusajaya will feature Nusajaya Tech Park, which held its groundbreaking last year; FASTrack Iskandar; freehold residential precinct Signature Residences; and housing project Gerbang Nusantara. The area will be developed over 25 years and will also have retail parks, campus offices and industrial parks.

The first phase of Mall of Medini, a retail and lifestyle hub in Nusajaya, opened in September 2012. It has a gross floor area of 200,000 sq ft and is about 86 per cent filled. UEM Sunrise is in negotiations with a potential partner to develop the second phase, which could have a gross floor area of about 3.3 million sq ft.

- See more at: http://business.asiaone.com/news/uem-sunrise-shelving-project#sthash.t1YpIubr.dpuf

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Same goes for Jusco bt indah.

Just wondering how come so many massage joint at bt indah? How they survive in terms of revenue.

You want to know how they survive? Let me tell you my experience. I thought that is an ultra-over supply of massage centres in Bukit Indah too. I was a Platinum member in one of the massage parlours and decided to go for a 2 hour massage one Saturday night.

Drove to the 1st @ 7pm and was told packed till 11pm.. come after 11pm cos one full tour bus coming
Drove to the 2nd after a hectic 30 minute drive even though its just a few hundred meters away.. Receptionists were too busy to entertain and ask me if i can wait till 10pm + and try my luck
Drove to the 3rd opposite and was told the same thing.. fully booked.

Went home disappointed without massage. Its a must to book early esp during the weekends of school holidays or long weekends

xixxix

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Malaysian govt must really buckle up and get their acts right. They have billions of dollars but so far, we don't find something WOW happening in Iskandar.

Not sure what this mall is all about. Some more you attach the word "China" to it, makes you even more puzzled. Seems to me that they got a lot of land in Iskandar, just sell and sell to whoever wants to have a grab of the pie. So many Chinese developers come in like eagles swooping on the land and overbuilding properties.

But what is really the aim and grand plan of Iskandar?

I used to disagree firmly with my friend who said he doesn't foresee even Medini going anywhere in this lifetime. I threw at him all the brochures and facts about how Iskandar will be developed in 5-10 years time. He just scoffed it off and shook his head. Now I know why.

I think Medini or Iskandar in general can be a big thing if the Malaysian govt really bother to do the right things. If not, yeah, the whole place is just rojak with oversupply of ghost malls and empty homes.

What they need is something big... like R&D, etc. They must do something that Singapore doesn't have and which will make the SG govt red-eyed and panic. They need to boost the field of science and technology. Bring in the experts and profs from various countries, for eg. Make it attractive for MNCs to relocate there and manufacturing industries to setup their plants for exports of goods.

Building malls after malls, shopping centres, cafes, restaurants, etc is just asking for trouble to come.

I feel that it is just a choice many people in this forum have to make. Do you want to live in a super efficient but stressful city or a highly disorganized and laid back city. JB will not be Singapore. Too many cooks

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sharing what I've learnt after talking to property advisers lately regarding the gloomy outlook of Iskandar properties:

On the map, and during coffeeshop talks, the travel from Singapore to JB sounds so near and convenient. But if you measure the time you leave your SG home to reach your destination in JB, you will realise it's not as convenient as it seems so.

"15 minutes from CIQ and you can reach Iskandar" -- This is a common advertising gimmick used by developers to attract buyers to buy their projects. But really...15 minutes? For many, it already takes some 20-30 minutes to drive from your home to CIQ. Being stuck in the queue during a jam and it's more added time needed.

Let's consider someone who takes the public transport:

If you don't live near the north or Tuas, you first need to take a bus from your home to say Woodlands. This journey alone could take say 30 minutes. Then you got to change bus. There is another waiting time of say 20 minutes. The journey to CIQ is about 30 minutes. Getting out of the bus, waiting to have passport stamped, getting back to the bus, jam at the causeway, all this could easily be another 40 minutes. Assuming the person then takes a cab to his Iskandar home, the journey is 15 minutes. So total time of travel from SG home to Iskandar home is 30+20+30+40+15= 135 minutes or more than 2 hours!

Even if you drive at NON-PEAK hours, safely I would say give yourself at least 1 hour. If peak hours, I don't know... 2 hours???

And then there is the journey back home at the end of the day to repeat the whole process.

I did ask around many people around me and so far, ALL have said they don't entertain the idea of living in Iskandar while working in SG. Those who are doing it now are likely retirees, housewives, bosses who don't have to reach Singapore on time. How many of us are in such a situation? Not many I suppose. I have a Malaysian friend who has to leave his JB home in the wee hours of the morning to beat the jam. It's tough.

The fallacious thinking of many Singaporeans is that when Iskandar becomes more vibrant, we will start to see Malaysians buying homes there and working in Singapore. Seriously, I have begun to have my doubts.

Firstly, current Iskandar homes are overpriced to many Malaysians. For those working here, they would rather rent HDB flats in Singapore and earn SGD to pay off the rent than buy expensive homes in Iskandar.

Some argue that Singapore companies will be attracted to relocate to Iskandar due to its lower costs of labour and land. Hence, many workers will want to buy or rent a home there. This is another fallacious thinking that is more or less confirmed to be untrue.

From the experiences of several companies which did that, they realised that while unskilled workers are available in JB, the productivity is a lot lower than in Singapore (due to the less competitive work culture of Malaysia compared to Singapore). Moreover, the traveling time from Iskandar to Singapore is not as fast as it seems on paper (see earlier paragraph). Also, Malaysians aren't stupid. Why would they want to work in JB and get paid so much less in RM when they could work in Singapore to earn higher pay in SGD?

The above has caused many companies to avoid moving to Iskandar to run their businesses.

As for the possibility of younger Singaporeans moving over to Iskandar in future due to the high property prices here, I don't think it will happen any time soon. By that, I don't foresee this happening in the next 10-15 years.

There are still many low priced HDB flats within the reach of young Singaporeans. Many 3 and 4-room HDB flats cost only S$200k to 300k+. Going forward 10 years later, even if you include inflation in the calculation, a 4 room HDB flat in Sengkang/Punggol at S$500k is still manageable to graduate couples. The convenience of visiting their parents and the need to feel safe in one's own country are too much to consider buying cheaper homes in Iskandar.

Then some say, wait a minute... didn't the SG government, so well-regarded for their foresight, also invested about S$1-2 billion in Iskandar? Are they wrong too? One property guy thinks this is only wayang. The investment was to improve the relationship between SG and Malaysia. Temasek GIC has some US$223 billion! That amount invested, even if they lose it, is not going to cause much pain. SG's investment overseas are known not to make money anyway! (Think Suzhou project, Vietnam,etc etc)

What about billionaire Peter Lim? Was he wrong too? Maybe not. But he is running a business, not buy properties in Iskandar. We got to differentiate between the 2. If he makes money in Iskandar, it doesn't imply home owners will!

Then those big attractions.... like Legoland, international schools, etc.... Surely they will draw the crowd? Maybe, but the number of such establishments and entertainment centres does not justify the number of properties. Anyway, why do you have to live in Iskandar just because there is a Legoland there? Are you going to visit it everyday?

I didn't consider all the above when I made my own purchase. :( It's after I attended talks by property advisers and sitting down to think more intelligently that I realise the outlook for Iskandar properties is indeed not as rosy as it looks.

Of course, some (like myself!) will self-console that they can keep their Iskandar homes for retirement or vacation. But it's a very expensive option to take. Based on past transactions in JB and the current worrying situation, it will likely make little difference whether you buy a property now or 20 years later; the price now could very well be the same decades down the road! You are actually losing money paying the high bank interest rates, depreciating RM, monthly service fees and lack of capital appreciation in the property. The money spent on such a property now could be better used for investments that can reap profits.

So I don't think this oversupply of properties in Iskandar will go away soon. It is especially a real problem for those who overcommit or buy solely for rental income.

A close friend and property agent even went so far as to advise that I should let go of the property now. It's painful losing the deposit and money paid thus far (S$50+k!!), but they think if it's solely for investment purpose, there will be a lot more pain and crying next time holding on to a property that bleeds the bank account. "There won't be any foreseeable tenants or buyers interested to buy over your property," they advised.

I'm just sharing without holding back what I have learnt over the last month and also how I feel. Feel free to voice your opinions so that others can also learn. Take away what is useful and openly discuss what you think are alternatives if they exist.

Last edited:

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have put in so much time and effort to come up with this analysis, you must feel a lot for it. Thanks for the effort. Indeed I have to agree, stay away if one has better options to do with their money.
Even china big developers can make such big mistake of building 9000 units at one go, expecting singaporeans to jump right in...haiz

Last edited:

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
The analysis doesn't come mainly from me but I was collating all the info and advice I have received from various people in the past 1-2 months. Just sharing here and it's up to the individual to make decisions from here.

It also depends on one's investment needs and strategies. Those who do a search on Internet on Iskandar Properties may find this useful perhaps.

As for the China developers, I don't know what they are doing. Sometimes, we can't imagine the kind of money they have. So not sure if we can say it is a "mistake". Some tell me these extremely rich Chinese people are washing "dirty money" but we won't go into that area here! Even in China itself, I've read and have watched documentaries of how many apartments there were built but were left empty for many years after that.

Just like how the SG government's previous investments in a few countries lost money but the amount of $$$ they have to begin with is relatively a lot.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have to agree with some aspects of what you are saying.
To buy something that allows you to have a different style of living would be the best ideal.
Buying in the hope of making money through flipping probably can only happen in Singapore. But not likely to be possible in Johor.
As for me to drive in of out on a daily basis is not likely to be a possible scenario for me. Weekend would be the best ideal until I'm ready to retire.

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
The analysis doesn't come mainly from me but I was collating all the info and advice I have received from various people in the past 1-2 months. Just sharing here and it's up to the individual to make decisions from here.

It also depends on one's investment needs and strategies. Those who do a search on Internet on Iskandar Properties may find this useful perhaps.

As for the China developers, I don't know what they are doing. Sometimes, we can't imagine the kind of money they have. So not sure if we can say it is a "mistake". Some tell me these extremely rich Chinese people are washing "dirty money" but we won't go into that area here! Even in China itself, I've read and have watched documentaries of how many apartments there were built but were left empty for many years after that.

Just like how the SG government's previous investments in a few countries lost money but the amount of $$$ they have to begin with is relatively a lot.

You have definitely made some valid points.

I for one would not consider moving to Iskandar while still holding a job in Sg. The stress of the daily commute would be too much for me personally. My purchase was for retirement. My choice of property was based on a lifestyle product that I considered unique, considering that the developer came with a certain reputation for building award-winning waterfront developments in its home country (no, they're not from China).

However, despite agreeing with many of your points, I still feel excited about the positive vibe I get when I see the massive scale of construction and transformation happening in and around the city centre. To be sure, I'm more excited about JB city and its surroundings than about iskandar as a whole. The JB cityscape will be transformed considerably in just the next 5-10 years if the projects now being actively constructed are actually completed (and I'm pretty confident the Chinese developers will get the job done). I'm not saying that there is no possibility of all this construction resulting in ghost towns within the city, after all I'm not a property expert. However, just as KLCC transformed KL's sleepy town image into a modern metropolis, the massive developments happening in JB now may well have the potential to transform JB for good. Yes, I know many of this is residential, but alongside and within many of these city centre projects are also hotels, malls and commercial spaces.

Some businessmen believe in the slogan: just build and they will come. This is what some people call 'catalytic projects'.

Last but not least, whilst many may have already given up on the RTS, it may just materialize one fine day. And that will certainly call for a fresh perspective.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
JB is changing quite fast from a low base. Let the growth consolidate for a while first. Holding costs are quite low so spurts of growth with consolidations is not a serious issue.

Bubble

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting post

Have heard of doctor telling patient that he has only few months to live but the chap still alive after many years.

I had a serious skin problem, saw doctor twice.he said no medicine in market.so I had to suffer for few more weeks till I had to insist to be recommended to skin centre.Insisting there is nothing can be done he reluctantly refered me to specialist.

The specialist diagnosed me and gave me med.WITHIN a day my pain disappeared and the sores gone.

My car front tire had cranking sound.

1st workshop says need overhaul the bearing and all at $2k
2nd workshop says need change suspension for $500.I agreed but the sound did not go away.He said in time it will
One day I had flat tire went to other workshop,, while changing tire the mechanic says tire joint broken and to change it,$50.I agreed.
After tat cranking sound no more.

My old CO business was bad. My boss allied fengshui master.he dishes out ADVICE,need to reposition furniture, put money plants at certain areas etc..He was paid good money but the CO closed anyway ,after 3mths

My point is don't rely too much on advice given by 'experts'. we can't predict future.if it work out good, if doesn't what can we do.its life we have to take chances.

For Investment IT SEEMS risky..but no can guarantee it wont turn out well.Only time will tell.

For stay I think it will be ok..no matter how bad, you still have that house.

Worry too much will bring U nowhere.

Everyone can agak agak what future will be... no guarantee even by the experts.

It may seems bleak as per the media, but who knows the actual figure or plans by the Malaysian gov't to tweak policy to make it favourable.

Singapore is still too small, too crowded, too expensive.most prefer to retire peacefully rather than to remain Singapore work harder to pay this and that till we die

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Visited my aged parents over the weekend in the housing estates and realize after so many years, the demographic has changed.. At the playground, gone were the local kids but being replaced by Pinoys and PRCS.

At the ball games courts, I used to see several teams ( all locals ) numbering about 50 every week. I still see several teams numbering about 50 but its all Pinoy teams. Sadly, where has the locals gone? Arent they playing balls anymore or is it really the FT population are much more than locals?

Shake heads.