• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Jailed businesswoman fails in final appeal bid against conviction in HK$3 mln scam

KingsOfTheDay

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lily Chiang fails in final appeal bid against conviction in HK$3 million scam

Jailed businesswoman expresses disappointment in judicial system after top court rejects her appeal

PUBLISHED : Monday, 27 January, 2014, 3:16pm
UPDATED : Monday, 27 January, 2014, 3:16pm

Austin Chiu [email protected]

scmp_08mar13_ns_lilly3_34500475_0.jpg

Former General Chamber of Commerce chairwoman Lily Chiang Lai Lei (in green) was jailed three-and-a-half years over a share-option scam. Photo: K. Y. Cheng

Businesswoman Lily Chiang Lai-lei has failed to take to the top court an appeal against her conviction over a HK$3 million share-option scam for which she was jailed three-and-a-half years.

In the Court of Final Appeal on Monday, Chiang’s lawyers failed to argue that her case involved substantial and grave injustice and warranted a chance of appeal.

Chiang, 52, the daughter of industrialist Chiang Chen and the first woman to chair the General Chamber of Commerce, was jailed in June 2011 for fraud, conspiracy to defraud and authorising a prospectus that included an untrue statement.

“We are not persuaded this is a case that ought to be referred to the Court of Final Appeal,” Mr Justice Roberto Ribeiro said as he dismissed her application. Written reasons for the decision, by a panel of three judges, will be handed down later.

Outside court, Chiang did not respond to questions from the media. But in a statement distributed by her lawyers, she said she felt “sad, angry and helpless” with the top court’s decision.

“I had strongly believed that Hong Kong’s judicial system was fair and just. That was why even in the most difficult days, I still held this belief,” she wrote.

“That was the reason I went on to lodge appeal after appeal even after I served the jail term, hoping I could eventually have my name cleared.”

Chiang said she was now “completely disappointed” with the inherent injustice in Hong Kong’s judicial system, which she found out only after paying a huge price.

“Hong Kong’s judicial system lacks supervision by a third party,” she said. “To cover up a mistake, the courts would not hesitate to make a greater mistake.”

But she would keep her head up and not be frustrated by her failure to seek justice in court, she said.