• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Open thoughts on underground living

MadrigalWheel

Alfrescian
Loyal
1) Soon, Singaporeans would invade the realm of pestilence and that which live in fear of the light.
2) How nice it would be to have underground communities that one can expediently exterminate with all manner of poisons, flooding, cave-ins or asphyxiations away from prying eyes.
3) Ahh, the dream of imposing ever increasing taxes on the air that undergrounders breathe. And rightfully so, when it is the above-rounders who subsidize them with their pristine clean air.
4) A fire in an underground dwelling benefits all, contained burning would save the cost of clean up, strong heat would sanitize the premises, organic matter left over can be resold as charcoal. Just whitewash the premises and move on to the next tenant.
5) The wonders of potable water imbued with sewage in humans would be a sight to behold for generations to come.
6) No more need for hospices and aged homes. An underground necropolis would serve well in handing over the elderly sick, dying and dead without having to worry about their cries through the thick walls of the earth around them and their eventual automated extermination.
7) Above-grounders would soon stop asking what the sweet smelling blend of "man-ure" that NParks uses is made from.
8) Sink holes from caved-in dwellings with high concentration of remains can always be converted into world class fishing ponds from above grounders. Just add fish and water, there's enough fodder for them in there.
9) Soon, above-grounders will fear more the thief breaking and entering from the ground below them.
10) Death in the underground will be a quiet affair. No one can hear your cries from 50 metres up.
11) Call a plumber about a flooding problem? Plumber says, not to worry, we will just seal the exits with you in it and I'll clean up after the water subsides
12) Concrete spalling or tiles popping? Just let the ceiling and floors collapse and we'll tunnel our a new space again when we need the room again.
13) Soon, which layer of the rock strata they live on would determine the relative wealth of an undergrounder.

Last edited:

MadrigalWheel

Alfrescian
Loyal
14) Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds - That little girl next door who died in the cave-in along the diamond rock seam, now behind the flawlessly fake sky projected on your wall.

MadrigalWheel

Alfrescian
Loyal
15) Better to live on your knees than to die standing. - The poorest undergrounders would resort to scrapping into the ground around them, excavating soil with their bare hands in hope of finding their fortunes

MadrigalWheel

Alfrescian
Loyal
17) Does dried blood, bile and leftover brain matter mixed in m&d make for a more psychedelic Au-natureal feature wall?

jw5

Loyal
I have a suggestion for someone to try out this new invention first.

All together now - Toothpickzorroman! :biggrin:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it will be extremely expensive and challenging due to aquifers, water in the ground, drainage, soil strata, sedimentation, types and conditions. plus the need for aeration, ventilation and air-conditioning. it would require multi-trillion budgets if sg needs to house millions underground, but i'm sure if any regime were to be able to do it successfully and effectively, it would be the hand-clapping pap with a historic track record and world class accolades on accomplishing major jaw-dropping engineering feats. :eek: :p

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
at least we be safe from nuclear holocaust.and i believe with proper scrubber technology from star trek,we will be supplied with a unlimited supply of clean air at least.

Last edited:

MadrigalWheel

Alfrescian
Loyal
at least we be safe from nuclear holocaust.and i believe with proper scrubber technology from star trek,we will be supplied with a unlimited supply of clean air at least.

Not when you have means to access and maintain power to generate electricity. Forget solar too, nuclear fallout will shade the skies for a long long time.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

In a nuclear holocaust, the elites would get underground while making the peons dwell on the surface. I think a video game has been based on this.

You die is your biz.

MadrigalWheel

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can't imagine a warren of caves interconnected across Singapore that may one day cause the entire island to cave in and sink.

A lot of places are already build on reclaimed land, and like what they say, is like peanut butter.

It's therefore not unreasonable to say that the MEC, being cut into "peanut butter" IS sitting on "peanut butter", which means that it is inherently unstable such that it will either sink over time due to compression or wash away because of erosion.

Just imagine the amount of water permeating through this kind of soil. Soil liquefaction is a scary issue indeed.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can't imagine a warren of caves interconnected across Singapore that may one day cause the entire island to cave in and sink.

A lot of places are already build on reclaimed land, and like what they say, is like peanut butter.

It's therefore not unreasonable to say that the MEC, being cut into "peanut butter" IS sitting on "peanut butter", which means that it is inherently unstable such that it will either sink over time due to compression or wash away because of erosion.

Just imagine the amount of water permeating through this kind of soil. Soil liquefaction is a scary issue indeed.

Reclaimed land will be the first to go. Good luck to those who bought property at Marina Bay. :wink: