• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Golden Period of migrating to Australia over

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro, Perth still heatwave?

No. Perth's heat has moved east to Adelaide and Vic state.

But I am feeling the heat from my new job, my boss is very competent in his job. Formerly from Sydney. So, I am starting to work like a Singaporean. Very unusual in Perth. Lucky tomorrow is Friday.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe I Should work in Perth as well then.

No. Perth's heat has moved east to Adelaide and Vic state.

But I am feeling the heat from my new job, my boss is very competent in his job. Formerly from Sydney. So, I am starting to work like a Singaporean. Very unusual in Perth. Lucky tomorrow is Friday.

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Its Hot Hot Hot!! Feeling Hot Hot Hot! :(

Time to move on to a proper air-con from my portable air-con..

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe I Should work in Perth as well then.

I am not sure if you like the work Culture here. The people here can be rather dense, and they do test your patience.
Also, there is a fair bit of petty politics because of jealousy - I remembered having to comfort a crying Irish co worker after she was bullied by a incompetent manager -a Jewish woman.

In the first place, there was a job mismatched with the manager totally unsuitable for the job. The project was out of her depth and when her staff -the Irish girl - delivered the project, she sabotaged the project and caused her much stress an she had a breakdown.

Sent for workplace counseling and 2 week sick leave. Company paid for the counseling.

This is an OSH issue. Not uncommon here. Usually the bright Perth people have gone to Melbourne and Sydney to work. When people do not know how to do their jobs, they form cliques, practice gang hugs, sabotage others like using unattended computers to send nasty emails.

Other managers have confide in me about them employing the wrong people.

Again, I am just writing here to prepare people -life is not rosy all the time. We work smart and we learn to deal with situations. Sometimes, your mates support means that you found lifelong friends with them.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Its Hot Hot Hot!! Feeling Hot Hot Hot! :(

Time to move on to a proper air-con from my portable air-con..

Good decision. Take the summer discount.

Whatever you do, don't ever get an evaporative air-con. I do not know why Aussies get those funny air-con or get underpowered inverter reverse cycle air-con, Esp now that the weather bureau say heat waves like this will be more frequent.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Neddy..u insult the evaporative air con...i buay song w u now. Y u dont like ah? To me it is good n cheap to run..i meannot as good as reverse cycle.. But i got more bang for the buck with evap..

Whatever you do, don't ever get an evaporative air-con. I do not know why Aussies get those funny air-con or get underpowered inverter reverse cycle air-con, Esp now that the weather bureau say heat waves like this will be more frequent.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
And you think I don't get the same thing here right now? I have a person that works only 4.5 months for the whole of 2013! What's worst is for a simple 1 hour job the person took the whole day to get it right! They are everywhere. The game, like I call it needs to be played or you get played by it. Luckily, things have reached a point where action is finally going to be taken.
I am not sure if you like the work Culture here. The people here can be rather dense, and they do test your patience.
Also, there is a fair bit of petty politics because of jealousy - I remembered having to comfort a crying Irish co worker after she was bullied by a incompetent manager -a Jewish woman.

In the first place, there was a job mismatched with the manager totally unsuitable for the job. The project was out of her depth and when her staff -the Irish girl - delivered the project, she sabotaged the project and caused her much stress an she had a breakdown.

Sent for workplace counseling and 2 week sick leave. Company paid for the counseling.

This is an OSH issue. Not uncommon here. Usually the bright Perth people have gone to Melbourne and Sydney to work. When people do not know how to do their jobs, they form cliques, practice gang hugs, sabotage others like using unattended computers to send nasty emails.

Other managers have confide in me about them employing the wrong people.

Again, I am just writing here to prepare people -life is not rosy all the time. We work smart and we learn to deal with situations. Sometimes, your mates support means that you found lifelong friends with them.

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I had an Evaporative cooling system (the one with the big black box at the top of the roof).. it didn't really work for me. I reckon-ed I had the wrong ratio of open windows vs closed windows for it to work properly. More like a ceiling fan..

Then I had an proper air con (with the compressor outdoors) in my last rented property, it worked quiet well during summer.

Right now having a portable aircon with my owned property, the one needing an exhaust pipe to be connected to dispense hot air through the window. It is alright if you are sitting in front of it, but definately not good enough to cool the room down.

Will definately keep a lookout for discounts from Harvey Norman, etc For my kids :smile:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
U in melbourne right? Evaps dont work well in humid conditions, Perth is more dry and I open my window only slightly...as long as the evaporated air can go 'out', the house is quite cool and not humid....but when its humid just leave the evap on without the cooling feature,,,if its hot and dry,,leave the evap on the whole day, still better than nothing and heaps cheaper to run than ducted....those portable aircons are even more expensive and dont work too well,,,just get proper inverter airconditioner and get a higher KW unit,,,better overpower than underpower for ducted...

I had an Evaporative cooling system (the one with the big black box at the top of the roof).. it didn't really work for me. I reckon-ed I had the wrong ratio of open windows vs closed windows for it to work properly. More like a ceiling fan..

Then I had an proper air con (with the compressor outdoors) in my last rented property, it worked quiet well during summer.

Right now having a portable aircon with my owned property, the one needing an exhaust pipe to be connected to dispense hot air through the window. It is alright if you are sitting in front of it, but definately not good enough to cool the room down.

Will definately keep a lookout for discounts from Harvey Norman, etc For my kids :smile:

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have ducted air. :wink:

Bro Ash, your ducted air come with zonal control or individual room control? :confused:

Got my zonal control (upper floor = 1 zone and lower floor = 1 zone) changed. Now lower floor (living and dinning) still one zone. Upper floor changed to 3 zones - each room = 1 zone. Save energy coz not all rooms need aircon. Got a Leb to convert it. :smile:

BTW, if you happened to be in Kingsford, try this relatively new makan joint - Petaling Street (next to Ayam Goreng). Had their char kway teow today. It is yummy. $11 a plate and it comes with see hum, 2 big prawns about 50cts coin size, the usual lap cheong, lots of fish cake and fried pork lard. Yummy. Better than at SingMa by the 9 ways and better than some I tried in SG. :smile:

Don't try the char kway teow from Sedap (a new joint in Eastgarden). :(

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Evaporative cooling is just adding moisture to the dry air to bring up humidity, on certain days, you will find your skin sticky and your wardrobe damp - like Singapore. These days, they comes with ceiling pressure vent so you can keep your windows closed.

Unlike in Singapore, the usual air con here comes with a single internal unit connected to an external compressor. For my rental properties, I just put a powerful air-con in the living/dining open space and another small one for the master bedroom. I go for basic Teco air because my tenants seems to break things and my insurer will only pay for cheap stuff. So, I keep things simple to fix. My house uses ducted, I just replaced the compressor to a more efficient model.

Ducted air is covered by Ash and Blur. Just remember that the outlet vents and duct pipes for evaporative are different from reverse cycle air.
Hypocrite has covered underpowered ducted.

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
2 zones, same like you before, one for upper one for lower. I usually just switch on the upper one with windows closed. Seems to work pretty well. Got a "normal" standup fan downstair with a mistifier. That seems to keep the living room cool enough.

Bro Ash, your ducted air come with zonal control or individual room control? :confused:

Got my zonal control (upper floor = 1 zone and lower floor = 1 zone) changed. Now lower floor (living and dinning) still one zone. Upper floor changed to 3 zones - each room = 1 zone. Save energy coz not all rooms need aircon. Got a Leb to convert it. :smile:

BTW, if you happened to be in Kingsford, try this relatively new makan joint - Petaling Street (next to Ayam Goreng). Had their char kway teow today. It is yummy. $11 a plate and it comes with see hum, 2 big prawns about 50cts coin size, the usual lap cheong, lots of fish cake and fried pork lard. Yummy. Better than at SingMa by the 9 ways and better than some I tried in SG. :smile:

Don't try the char kway teow from Sedap (a new joint in Eastgarden). :(

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
My rental apartment currently has no aircon or heating, either. However there is no insulation as well. The net effect is that it is freezingly cold during winter - in fact, it's warmer to stand outside than stay in the apartment! LOL!

But the upside is that during the summer, like now, it's relatively cool throughout the day - we don't even switch the fan on unless its extremely hot, like the last weekend when it hit the 40s. In fact, at nights, even in summer, we still use the doona to keep warm!

888Migration

Alfrescian (S)
How about Perth ?
Any Potential price rise for properties in Perth ?

In my opinion, you would have made a killing if you entered the market in the last few years. Those going into the market now can still expect a growth in their investments but at slower, more realistic rates.

You might be interested in looking at some data here:
http://www.landgate.wa.gov.au/corporate.nsf/web/Free+Property+Stats

Roughly 8% increase in value over the last year if you are in a decent suburb.

Last edited:

888Migration

Alfrescian (S)
My rental apartment currently has no aircon or heating, either. However there is no insulation as well. The net effect is that it is freezingly cold during winter - in fact, it's warmer to stand outside than stay in the apartment! LOL!

But the upside is that during the summer, like now, it's relatively cool throughout the day - we don't even switch the fan on unless its extremely hot, like the last weekend when it hit the 40s. In fact, at nights, even in summer, we still use the doona to keep warm!

I spent a few years in a rental property like yours.... Get yourself an evaporative cooler for the summer...... you can get relatively cheap ones nowadays, and a decent ceramic heater for winter .

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Neddy..u insult the evaporative air con...i buay song w u now. Y u dont like ah? To me it is good n cheap to run..i meannot as good as reverse cycle.. But i got more bang for the buck with evap..

One thing I learnt in Australia is that there are 2 ways of doing things - the cheap way and the right way. If you opt for the cheap way, you get yourself into problem and blame someone for it.

To me, the evaporative is an American "stop-gap" product that does not solve problems.
Perhaps Singaporeans like the product because it give a humid weather, but you will notice after a while that the dampness from evaporative create bacteria, mildew and give a musty smell. Also, it worsen asthma allergies, and cause some white furniture to turn yellowish.

But wait, the Americans also create another product that try to solve this problem. But whether it works or not - back to my first question. There are 2 ways of doing things.

http://www.thinkzincanode.com/understanding.html

Amber fire risk
http://www.cockburn.wa.gov.au/docum...rgency/FESA-Ember-Protection-Screens-info.pdf

Oh, another point. The evaporative is also known as swamp cooler because it gives off a fishy odor when Perth is humid.

Then, I have the same issue with flood lights. That simple thing you think. My tenant bought one costing $15 and almost burnt my property down. That is why I tell my property manager - go get the $40 one. It is a proper product with safety certification. My insurer will not complain either.

There are a lot of things like that in Australia. Because of DIY, people buy cheap stuff, take shortcuts and then wonder why they spend so much time running around getting things fixed.

This is commenting from experience. Things are cheap for some reasons, if it is goog value, go ahead.

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Neddy, thanks for your insight,,but so far I do not have the issues you mention about the evap system. Some people have issues but the right way with evap not many people will do. For evap once a year must do maintainence. I bring in the agent to clean the system properly. Get rid of the mildew etc, also the newer systems now have a drain pump which automatically drains the water once every few days. When the weather gets cooler, the water pump must be shut etc. After 5 years, the filter pads needs to be change. I know of cheapos, who turn off the system dont use for months than turn it on again. They dont get it serviced and cleaned and complain got dust etc coming out when they turn it on. Evaps are also designed to be on continuously during the hot days,,,people switch it off when they go to work,,than come back during the hottest time of the month and turn it on and complain hot air come out.Uh,,yr car in the hot sun,,after u turn on aircon also hot air come out right? For humid days, the evap is meant to be on via the fan feature and not 'cool' feature so no extra moisture is added and it keeps the air circulating in the house. So you are right, there is the cheap way, the good way and the proper way..Evaps are not perfect but there is a proper way to do it,,,Most people who have evaps dont do it the proper way so got problems and than KPKB....

One thing I learnt in Australia is that there are 2 ways of doing things - the cheap way and the right way. If you opt for the cheap way, you get yourself into problem and blame someone for it.

To me, the evaporative is an American "stop-gap" product that does not solve problems.
Perhaps Singaporeans like the product because it give a humid weather, but you will notice after a while that the dampness from evaporative create bacteria, mildew and give a musty smell. Also, it worsen asthma allergies, and cause some white furniture to turn yellowish.

But wait, the Americans also create another product that try to solve this problem. But whether it works or not - back to my first question. There are 2 ways of doing things.

http://www.thinkzincanode.com/understanding.html

Amber fire risk
http://www.cockburn.wa.gov.au/docum...rgency/FESA-Ember-Protection-Screens-info.pdf

Oh, another point. The evaporative is also known as swamp cooler because it gives off a fishy odor when Perth is humid.

Then, I have the same issue with flood lights. That simple thing you think. My tenant bought one costing $15 and almost burnt my property down. That is why I tell my property manager - go get the $40 one. It is a proper product with safety certification. My insurer will not complain either.

There are a lot of things like that in Australia. Because of DIY, people buy cheap stuff, take shortcuts and then wonder why they spend so much time running around getting things fixed.

This is commenting from experience. Things are cheap for some reasons, if it is goog value, go ahead.