• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Golden Period of migrating to Australia over

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1. The issue with PR visa.

2. The cost of living.

3. The difficulties in finding jobs or starting out on your own.

Australia is going through the next transition, finding its way in the 2nd phase of globalisation. At the same time, the governments are cutting back because the mining boom is over (in terms of investments).

Tasmania is in life-support, thanks to the Greens/Left. South Australia is in big trouble as it loses its industries, Victoria will be next. Sydney is in a Chinese-led property bubble.

Jobs are drying up everywhere. But inflation is showing signs of edging up.

Wages are stagnant. Australian work productivity need to be raised at least 50% more or wages will slide to NZ levels.

Governments are pushing back welfare. There are discussion over how to make the taxpayers pay more for health.

Singaporeans with families who try to migrate will find themselves living close to poverty if the income is less than $100,000 a year.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Australia is an island ...it doesn't need to tap into full swing globalization. Globalization hurts the developed countries as jobs are moved offshore. Sell what the world needs and be self sufficient in as many ways possible. That way, you can preserve your way of life without letting others dictate you. Free trade and globalization is good for developing economies only.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Australia is an island ...it doesn't need to tap into full swing globalization. Globalization hurts the developed countries as jobs are moved offshore. Sell what the world needs and be self sufficient in as many ways possible. That way, you can preserve your way of life without letting others dictate you. Free trade and globalization is good for developing economies only.

No developed country can isolate itself from the effects of globalisation unless it erects tariff barriers and relies entirely on a domestic economy

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The trouble is that the the previous governments (ALP and Coalition) miscalculated the economic boom and treat it as permanent. So, they have been spending like crazy and giving out free handouts, even to the middle class.
So what we are getting now is the loss of AAA credit ratings for the state governments.

Australia cannot escape the equalisation of labour cost that comes with globalisation. More jobs are being put on the internet for the lowest bidder from around the world.

At the same time, the median prices of houses in Perth reached a new high, while rents have come down a bit. The question for recent migrants is whether with their stagnant wages, are they still able to achieve the dream of owning their own homes or follow their English-speaking UK and USA into the doomed "permanent renter" situation.

Are we responsible for creating a situation of Babyboomers Landlords vs Generation Y Tenants.

The babyboomers hanging on to well-paid permanent jobs retiring with pre-defined pensions and benefits. While the Gen Y are on temp jobs paying hourly rates with no job security. Now, I even heard that a fixed salary is a thing of the past, people are moving into market-based variable salary. How to banks lend money buy houses if income is not fixed?

Have the greedy boomers vacuumed up a hefty portion of available economic and social resources and left job prospects and living standards for Gen Y in steep decline.

We are still reminding the "lazy" youngsters how we started off from rag to achieve our current standard of living.

Have we thought that the environment that allow the aspirational us to work from $10 to $1 million dollars is a one-off thing?

What the Left wing said is making sense (This book written by UK Guardian staff). Even the right Republicans are uneasy over globalisation, etc. This is not REAL free market, not real capitalism should do. US senator Ron Paul is spot-on on where things went wrong.

18299602.jpg

Australia is still a Pommie land, without the Iron Lady reform.

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The trouble is that the the previous governments (ALP and Coalition) miscalculated the economic boom and treat it as permanent. So, they have been spending like crazy and giving out free handouts, even to the middle class.

I say more handouts should be given to the middle and working class during good times. Government is to serve the people.

So what we are getting now is the loss of AAA credit ratings for the state governments.
Should this be a concern if you don't borrow from outside?

Australia cannot escape the equalisation of labour cost that comes with globalisation. More jobs are being put on the internet for the lowest bidder from around the world.
It can be controlled. There are jobs that can't be outsourced. Unfettered embrace of globalization kills the country.

At the same time, the median prices of houses in Perth reached a new high, while rents have come down a bit. The question for recent migrants is whether with their stagnant wages, are they still able to achieve the dream of owning their own homes or follow their English-speaking UK and USA into the doomed "permanent renter" situation.
They should make foreign investment in properties less lucrative by imposing higher capital gain taxes on foreign investors.

The babyboomers hanging on to well-paid permanent jobs retiring with pre-defined pensions and benefits. While the Gen Y are on temp jobs paying hourly rates with no job security. Now, I even heard that a fixed salary is a thing of the past, people are moving into market-based variable salary. How to banks lend money buy houses if income is not fixed?
If you curtail globalization, Gen Y will have a chance of the good life.

What the Left wing said is making sense (This book written by UK Guardian staff). Even the right Republicans are uneasy over globalisation, etc. This is not REAL free market, not real capitalism should do. US senator Ron Paul is spot-on on where things went wrong.
Left or right ....it doesn't matter. Why do we embrace policies that reduce the ability of citizens to decide their destiny?

Australia is still a Pommie land, without the Iron Lady reform.
The Iron Lady destroyed British society. The big income inequality is a result of the despised Thatcher.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

2. The cost of living.

3. The difficulties in finding jobs or starting out on your own..

On contrary, I am optimistic.. After the GFC, most countries need new calibration. Wealth exchange period btw 2009-2010. Once Australia has set new pillars of growth, the steam will shoot up. I am enjoying 100 % capital growth now & I am waiting for more good news.

D

Deleted member 80916

How about Perth ?
Any Potential price rise for properties in Perth ?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

2. The cost of living.

Singaporeans with families who try to migrate will find themselves living close to poverty if the income is less than $100,000 a year.

1. People are not even talking PR visa now but 457 Temp residency. Just met a Chinese couple that came here on 457. Things gonna get tough for them.

2. Cost of living depends where, what you want. Want to drive a 5 series BMW? or white Toyota? Want to live in a suburb with a lot of asians? Private schools? There are still plenty of affordable place in Sydney, you just have to know and willing to move there. Shit now, doesn't mean its going to be shit in the future. Already, I'm seeing a 100K increase in my property compared to a year ago. The house right opposite mine is asking the same price as when I got mine, and I have a much bigger land and house!

3. This one is starting to happen. A lot of these new migrants from China has a language deficit. That is not to say they are incapable. We recently have a new position open. Chinese migrants have 10-20 years in big, global companies. However, during the interview, communication in english is highlighted as inadequate. Given that we had over 100s of resume for one position, why do we need to hire someone where we have difficulty communicating with. Having said that, the ah nehs are better at that, but when probed about their work experience, it just fell straight through. Singaporean, has the advantage of both, or disadvantage of both, depending what they have done back home.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, HUAT AH !!!

1. People are not even talking PR visa now but 457 Temp residency. Just met a Chinese couple that came here on 457. Things gonna get tough for them.

2. Cost of living depends where, what you want. Want to drive a 5 series BMW? or white Toyota? Want to live in a suburb with a lot of asians? Private schools? There are still plenty of affordable place in Sydney, you just have to know and willing to move there. Shit now, doesn't mean its going to be shit in the future. Already, I'm seeing a 100K increase in my property compared to a year ago. The house right opposite mine is asking the same price as when I got mine, and I have a much bigger land and house!

3. This one is starting to happen. A lot of these new migrants from China has a language deficit. That is not to say they are incapable. We recently have a new position open. Chinese migrants have 10-20 years in big, global companies. However, during the interview, communication in english is highlighted as inadequate. Given that we had over 100s of resume for one position, why do we need to hire someone where we have difficulty communicating with. Having said that, the ah nehs are better at that, but when probed about their work experience, it just fell straight through. Singaporean, has the advantage of both, or disadvantage of both, depending what they have done back home.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That's how entrepreneurs are made. Some day, a few Australian Ah Tiongs will become big towkays.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's how entrepreneurs are made. Some day, a few Australian Ah Tiongs will become big towkays.

Some not all. Know another prc couple that came here on a business visa. Bought a seafood business as part of the visa requirement. 6 months down the track, still not going well.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You have a point Ash,,,now alot of Irish here,,,but those on 457 or work visa etc is not converting to PR as the application is about 10k,,they rather spend the money elsewhere,,the only ones who are 'staying ' in Oz are those non 'mobile' ones like boat people and 3rd world country migrants who cant really go anywhere except back door into Oz,,

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PR visa also cost alot to apply,,,fee is 10K,,for a couple is 20k,,those on low pay and on 457 or whatever will not even bother to apply for PR,,save the money and go back and buy house,,only 3rd world trash will stay in oz cos they get more in welfare than working in their home country,,I like the Liberals putting the screws on boat people to force them to leave,,,also the Greens need to be got rid off as they are the ones coming up with such pro boat people policies..

2. The cost of living.

Australia is going through the next transition, finding its way in the 2nd phase of globalisation. At the same time, the governments are cutting back because the mining boom is over (in terms of investments).

Tasmania is in life-support, thanks to the Greens/Left. South Australia is in big trouble as it loses its industries, Victoria will be next. Sydney is in a Chinese-led property bubble.

Jobs are drying up everywhere. But inflation is showing signs of edging up.

Wages are stagnant. Australian work productivity need to be raised at least 50% more or wages will slide to NZ levels.

Governments are pushing back welfare. There are discussion over how to make the taxpayers pay more for health.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sydney is now a property bubble with Chinese buyers dominating the market, I expect a backlash from Racist side of Australia soon, copying restrictions from NZ. The % of property for rental in Sydney has gone up drastically - ending the Aussie Property Ownership dream.

It is happening in Perth with jobs. Migrants can do well in interviews, but the interviewers are taking those lower scores Aussies rather than experienced Latin Americans, Europeans or Asians.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PR visa also cost alot to apply,,,fee is 10K,,for a couple is 20k,,those on low pay and on 457 or whatever will not even bother to apply for PR,,save the money and go back and buy house,,only 3rd world trash will stay in oz cos they get more in welfare than working in their home country,,I like the Liberals putting the screws on boat people to force them to leave,,,also the Greens need to be got rid off as they are the ones coming up with such pro boat people policies..

Thr ALP of today is no longer the ALP of the 1980s and 1990s.
http://www.mrcltd.org.au/publications/item/the-performance-of-state-labor-governments

The Performance of State Labor Governments, released today, analyses the performance of recent state Labor governments drawing upon publicly available data from independent, objective sources.

In this comparison, clear patterns emerge.

Across Australia, state Labor governments have consistently:

spent more than they earned
imposed higher taxes and charges
increased state debt and other liabilities, such as unfunded superannuation
increased the number of state public sector employees, especially those in backroom administration, much faster than populations have grown
spent revenue windfalls rather than saved them
failed to build the infrastructure their citizens and businesses need; and
failed to achieve significantly improved health and education outcomes despite spending much more money in these areas.
Coalition governments at both state and federal level have a long history of cleaning up a mess Labor governments have left behind.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So the moral of the story is dont vote the ALP. Anyway with the 2 party system in Oz. Its always between a rock n a hard place. N labour this time really fuck up. I c the liberals now having some good ideas n policies in the pipe line. But like highlighted in the Australian yesterday. The liberals also increase spending when they took over. So all in all they are all sama sama.
Thr ALP of today is no longer the ALP of the 1980s and 1990s.
http://www.mrcltd.org.au/publications/item/the-performance-of-state-labor-governments

The Performance of State Labor Governments, released today, analyses the performance of recent state Labor governments drawing upon publicly available data from independent, objective sources.

In this comparison, clear patterns emerge.

Across Australia, state Labor governments have consistently:

spent more than they earned
imposed higher taxes and charges
increased state debt and other liabilities, such as unfunded superannuation
increased the number of state public sector employees, especially those in backroom administration, much faster than populations have grown
spent revenue windfalls rather than saved them
failed to build the infrastructure their citizens and businesses need; and
failed to achieve significantly improved health and education outcomes despite spending much more money in these areas.
Coalition governments at both state and federal level have a long history of cleaning up a mess Labor governments have left behind.