• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Time for Singapore Inc to do a truthful yearly performance review

SirRichard

Alfrescian
Loyal
many years ago, we were told that to have good people run our country, we must be willing to pay top dollars (peg to private sectors Top few% ). My question now is , are ALL top people in each respective department worth their money?

Since we benchmark ministers salary to private sector, then we must also have the same kind of rigorous checks , review and accountability practiced by private sector. There must be full accountability and "sacking" if the performance is ridiculously sub par.

I hope our dear govt realize that to run Singapore well, our leaders must have FORESIGHT ( a trait demonstrated by LKY era of leaders) to anticipate and plan ahead of things. Prevention is better than Cure, remember the saying?

There seems to be a trend now to Spin/ blow the trumpet on how well (or how swift) actions were taken following certain incident . Shouldn't the focus be on the root causes ( poor management) rather than how well we showed restraint by abandoning our tax payer paid police vehicles and ambulances, how amazing our intels were that enabled our malaysia police to help us capture fugitive that we can't find in our small country - Mas selamat, one eye dragon, took leng how.

lack of vision resulting in,
Rich poor gap, deteriorating infrastructure, SLA duo that mishandled millions to buy Lamborghini, Escape of most wanted" crippled" terrorist , CHC case, allow to go scott free Romain diplomat , lapses in audit on Brompton bike purchase, Top people in Sex Scandal, corruption and many more...

as we enter 2014, i hope there's performance review on all key personnels. Pay good money to those with real calibre who are able to serve with their hearts and also with great vision. Not easy but hey, with the kind of money we are paying , it's definitely possible to find.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Even "IF" the PAP are brilliant & worth every penny, which they are not. The main criticism I have is that they are self serving & their policies only benefit a select group of people.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... as we enter 2014, i hope there's performance review on all key personnels. Pay good money to those with real calibre who are able to serve with their hearts and also with great vision. Not easy but hey, with the kind of money we are paying , it's definitely possible to find.
pay gud moni is ah loonz ploy 2 put mor moni in2 his pocket ...

ah loon set his gahmenz kpi in gdp ... if gdp goes up, ah loon wil boast his gahmen perform wel n stuff himself n his jingang wif mor obscene bonuses ...

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
lack of vision resulting in,
Rich poor gap, deteriorating infrastructure, SLA duo that mishandled millions to buy Lamborghini, Escape of most wanted" crippled" terrorist , CHC case, allow to go scott free Romain diplomat , lapses in audit on Brompton bike purchase, Top people in Sex Scandal, corruption and many more...
If the above are the best examples you can come up with, you should thank your lucky stars because the problems faced by other countries are far, far worse.

Many Western nations have enormous debt, a huge drug problem, a much higher crime rate, a much more alarming suicide rate, a shorter life span, a longer waiting list at hospitals, a higher infant mortality rate and a far lower quality of governance in general.

The problems that Singaporeans face pale in comparison.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
The main criticism I have is that they are self serving & their policies only benefit a select group of people.

PAP policies benefit those who are deserving. There's nothing wrong with that.

Policy makers are under no obligation to craft policies for those who are unappreciative of their efforts.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
PAP policies benefit those who are deserving. There's nothing wrong with that.

Policy makers are under no obligation to craft policies for those who are unappreciative of their efforts.

Boos, can by unappreciative yet still deserving not?

Like for me I don't appreciate their locking up of a huge sum of my CPF and allowing me to draw so little monthly when I old which not enough fo rme to even buy 4D yet I actually deserve all my money back to manage it myself.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Boos, can by unappreciative yet still deserving not?

Like for me I don't appreciate their locking up of a huge sum of my CPF and allowing me to draw so little monthly when I old which not enough fo rme to even buy 4D yet I actually deserve all my money back to manage it myself.

While it is true that there are responsible individuals like yourself who know how to manage your own affairs, you have to make sacrifices for the greater good of the majority of Singaporeans who don't have a clue how to preserve their retirement funds and would blow the whole lot in less than 6 months.

I believe the government has struck a fair balance. Those who are capable money managers will have accumulated CPF savings way beyond the minimum sum over the years and these funds and there are no restrictions whatsoever when it comes to withdrawing the excess funds upon reaching 55.

I withdrew more than SGD700,000 leaving about SGD90,000 which is earning relatively good interest in the current environment.

On the other hand those who only have measly sums in their ordinary account obviously aren't very capable and the government has to look after them and restrict withdrawals for their own good.

Take a person who only has $50,000 in his/her ordinary account after more than 30 years of working life. You have to wonder why they have saved so little after so many years. They need looking after well into their retirement years.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
While it is true that there are responsible individuals like yourself who know how to manage your own affairs, you have to make sacrifices for the greater good of the majority of Singaporeans who don't have a clue how to preserve their retirement funds and would blow the whole lot in less than 6 months.

I believe the government has struck a fair balance. Those who are capable money managers will have accumulated CPF savings way beyond the minimum sum over the years and these funds and there are no restrictions whatsoever when it comes to withdrawing the excess funds upon reaching 55.

I withdrew more than SGD700,000 leaving about SGD90,000 which is earning relatively good interest in the current environment.

On the other hand those who only have measly sums in their ordinary account obviously aren't very capable and the government has to look after them and restrict withdrawals for their own good.

Take a person who only has $50,000 in his/her ordinary account after more than 30 years of working life. You have to wonder why they have saved so little after so many years. They need looking after well into their retirement years.

Aiyo sometimes its not that one needs the money but the idea that one can't even have a hold of his own money really makes one "buay song"

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Aiyo sometimes its not that one needs the money but the idea that one can't even have a hold of his own money really makes one "buay song"

I can understand how you feel but as a loyal Singaporean who cares for his less capable fellow citizens, I don't mind making the small sacrifice of leaving a portion of my funds for the government to manage on my behalf.

It also makes me feel good when I look at my CPF statement. I also know that the sum is there for my loved ones should anything happen to me.

SirRichard

Alfrescian
Loyal
So we should be thankful we only have fewer major lapses . Does this justify the high pay for high calibre people then? Our nations don't have debt but our people do have a high debt to income ratio.. We are run like a corporation that chasing after profit and success are done at the expense of the middle or lower echelon of people.