• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

S'porean arrested in fixing probe

Cipher

Alfrescian
Loyal

S'porean arrested in fixing probe

ST-1130-2013-wilson-raj-match-fixing_0.jpg

Singapore match-fixer Wilson Raj Perumal.

The Straits Times
Monday, Dec 02, 2013

A Singaporean man linked to convicted Singapore match-fixer Wilson Raj Perumal is believed to be part of a group of six arrested in England in a crackdown on illegal football match-fixing.

The arrests were made by the National Crime Agency (NCA) after an undercover investigation by Britain's The Telegraph newspaper.

Three of the men held, The Telegraph reported, were footballers and another was identified as Delroy Facey, a former Premier League player-turned agent.

In a statement released to The Straits Times, the NCA said that "six men have been arrested across the country as part of an NCA investigation into alleged football match fixing."

When pressed for more details on the identity of the six, the NCA said it was not able to provide further information, citing ongoing investigations.

The match-fixing crackdown, which allegedly involved matches in Britain's fifth-tier Football Conference or lower, is believed to be the biggest match-fixing scandal in decades.

The Telegraph's website carried a video of a recorded conversation between the alleged Singaporean and an investigator.

The suspect in question spoke with a Singapore accent - using phrases like "double confirm". The Telegraph alleged that the man was able to accurately predict the outcomes of matches.

He also explained how he typically instructs the players on the total number of goals that he expects to be scored for each half.

The alleged fixer also revealed that the footballers can be bought off for about £70,000 (S$140,000).

He said: "Because, basically what the players want you know, they want the money. So, the players in England they earn around £5,000 a month.

"So, for 90 minutes, I pay them £7,000. For two hours, definitely they take."

He also claimed that he can designate a particular player to take a yellow card for an extra £5,000. This must be done within the first 10 minutes of the game and it is to signal that the match-rigging is on.

As if to back up his claims, the alleged fixer also revealed that he works for Perumal.

"He's my boss... Everybody in the world knows him," he said of the Singaporean, who was arrested in Finland in 2011.

Now co-operating with authorities in Hungary, it is believed that Perumal has given evidence which has led to law enforcement agencies worldwide to make arrests of key men in crime syndicates.

In Singapore last month, 14 suspects were arrested during an islandwide raid conducted by the police and anti-graft officers.

It is believed that among the 14 are two well-known associates of Perumal - the alleged syndicate mastermind Dan Tan Seet Eng, who is wanted by Interpol, and Gaye Alassane, whose criminal activities allegedly include acting as a courier or agent to help fix matches in Egypt, South Africa, and Trinidad and Tobago between 2010 and 2011.

Cipher

Alfrescian
Loyal

Football match-fixing: six arrested by police investigating betting syndicate as rigging hits British game

Telegraph exclusive: members of an alleged betting syndicate are arrested on suspicion of fixing football games in the biggest match-rigging scandal for decades

By Claire Newell, and Holly Watt
10:00PM GMT 27 Nov 2013

Members of an alleged betting syndicate have been arrested on suspicion of fixing English football games in the biggest match-rigging scandal for decades, The Telegraph can disclose.

Officers from the National Crime Agency held six men in the past two days, including at least three footballers and Delroy Facey, a player-turned-agent who has played in the Premier League.

The arrests have been made in the wake of an investigation by The Telegraph that found match fixers from Asia were targeting games across Britain.

One internationally known fixer arrived in this country last week and was arrested on Tuesday evening.

Football match-fixing: two men charged with fraud

In a series of covertly recorded conversations over the past fortnight, he claimed that lower league matches could be fixed for as little as £50,000 and correctly forecast the outcome of three games played by the same team.

It is the first time in decades that police have amassed sufficient evidence to hold those suspected of trying to fix a match in Britain, following a succession of similar scandals abroad.

On Wednesday evening the agency said: “Six men have been arrested across the country as part of an NCA investigation into alleged football match fixing. The focus of the operation is a suspected international illegal betting syndicate. The NCA is working closely with the Gambling Commission and the Football Association.”

The operation is one of the first by the agency, dubbed Britain’s FBI, which was launched this year to fight suspected organised and serious crime.

The identities of the teams involved cannot be disclosed for legal reasons, as the police operation is understood to remain active. However, they are not Premier League sides. “This operation remains very live with new developments on an almost daily basis,” said one well-placed source.

The suspected match fixers are being held under the bribery and fraud Acts at a police station in the Midlands. It is understood that the Crown Prosecution Service has been liaising with police officers in recent days.

The suggestion that English football games are susceptible to match-fixing will cause serious concern for the Football Association, which fiercely defends the integrity of the game.

In recent years fears have been growing that gangs were targeting matches in the UK. This newspaper was approached by an undercover investigator with links to Fifa, who had been gathering evidence against suspected Asian match fixers offering to operate in Britain.

I can buy referees for £20,000, claims alleged match-fixer

During a series of undercover meetings in Manchester this month, which were covertly recorded, one of the fixers claimed he could rig games and that potential gamblers would make hundreds of thousands of pounds by using the inside information on Asian-based betting websites.

The fixer, from Singapore, also alleged that he controlled teams in other European countries and could buy foreign referees to secure results.

“In England the cost is very high … usually for the players it is £70,000,” he explained in imperfect English.

He offered to target two football matches in Britain this month. He said he planned to tell players how many goals he needed to be scored in total. “So I talk to them. Double confirm. I also tell them, I tell … this [is] what I want … Because simple, I commit myself and they commit. So you tell me how many goals … Give me at least five … either 3-2, 4-0 or zero, … for me four is enough.”

The fixer told the undercover investigator how he typically instructed players. “So, so, the first, first 45 minutes, the result must be two-zero or 1-1. That’s two goal. More than enough for me,” he explained.

“In the second 45 minutes, so two-zero. Total, the whole game must be have four-zero or 3-1 or 2-2. As long as the total.”

He also claimed that he would pay one player an extra £5,000 to take a yellow card at the beginning of the game as a signal that the match’s result was likely to be manipulated. During one meeting this month, the fixer correctly predicted how many goals would be scored during a match the following day.

“This is my team”, he began, pointing to the club listed on a gambling website on his mobile phone. “I know what they’re going to do.”

He added: “I know because they all tell me every time. Because sometimes I have extra money, I just send them some money … because sometimes they need money or they call me so I just leave them some pocket money.”

The fixer asked us for €60,000 [£50,000], which he said was to cover the cost of paying the players.

He claimed to be connected to Wilson Raj Perumal, who has been convicted of rigging football matches abroad. “Wilson Raj Perumal … he’s the king … he’s my boss. Everybody in the world know him,” the fixer said.

Raj Perumal, is also originally from Singapore, but has lived in London. He is understood to be responsible for fixing numerous football matches over the past 30 years, and is helping the Hungarian police to investigate corruption.

Match fixers target players and officials to rig the result of games so that they can earn hundreds of thousands of pounds by betting or allowing others to bet on the predetermined outcome.

The bet will usually be for a minimum number of goals and the fixer will often try to incentivise players to concede goals deliberately and lose a match.

The gambling takes place in Asian markets and British betting markets are not believed to have been implicated.

Concern was already mounting that Asian match fixers were targeting lower league British games. In a recent interview, Chris Eaton, Fifa’s former head of security, said that match fixing had become “endemic” internationally.

Earlier this month, Nick Garlic, a senior official at Europol, the European Union’s law enforcement agency, criticised the Football Association’s commitment to tackling corruption and said he believed match fixers had worked in Britain.

International betting monitors have warned that millions of pounds are being wagered on Conference games and some UK bookmakers stopped taking bets on some teams early this year. Following those warnings, the FA contacted clubs to “remind players and officials of their responsibilities under the rules”.

It is understood that there are active police investigations into football fixing in more than 60 countries.

In September, four Australian players, who used to play for AFC Hornchurch, were arrested after allegedly conceding goals as part of a match-fixing ring.

On Wednesday night, an FA spokesman said: “The FA has been made aware of a number of arrests in relation to an NCA investigation. We have worked closely with the authorities in relation to these allegations. The FA will make no further comment at this time due to ongoing investigations.”

A Gambling Commission spokesman said that the body had “provided advice, intelligence and expertise in supporting this ongoing NCA investigation and continues to liaise with both the NCA and the Football Association”.

Additional reporting: Ben Bryant, Sam Marsden, Gregg Morgan and Erica Elkhershi

Micron

Alfrescian
Loyal

Match-fixing suspect claimed he was set up

Joyce Lim The Straits Times Sunday, Dec 07, 2014

20140928_FootballMatchFixing.jpg

Singaporean Dan Tan Seet Eng, an alleged global match- fixing syndicate kingpin who has been behind bars for over a year, has in turn accused his former buddy - match-fixer Wilson Raj Perumal - of setting him up so as to shoulder less blame.

Last month, the 50-year- old, currently detained under the Criminal Law (Temporary Provisions) Act, failed in his contest against being detained without trial, and has had his detention order extended by another year.

Tan, who is married with a 10-year-old son, was among 14 people arrested during an islandwide raid in September last year. He is suspected of fixing more than 150 football matches globally, and is wanted in Italy and Hungary.

In documents submitted to the High Court for the closed- door judicial review of his detention, Tan claimed Wilson Raj, 49, had framed him after the two fell out. Tan also claimed Wilson Raj held a grudge against him as he probably thought Tan was responsible for his arrest in Finland.

Wilson Raj, who has since fled Singapore, is now in Hungary, where he is under police protection, to help in match- fixing investigations.

The Attorney-General's Chambers (AGC) submitted that Tan's claims of being framed were speculations which had not been backed up with evidence.

"Tan's allegations undermine his application. At worst, they are afterthoughts which undermine Tan's credibility and are a thinly veiled ploy to bring the court into a dispute between himself and Wilson Raj," said the AGC.

It also said Tan was recruiting runners in Singapore, and directed match-fixing agents and runners from Singapore for football match-fixing activities between 2009 and last year.

Tan denied heading or funding any syndicate.

"I ran errands for Wilson Raj and gave loans that he had requested primarily because of the betting tips he gave me," he said. "I enjoyed betting and, over time, Wilson Raj showed me that he had reliable betting tips."

Tan also claimed that two sums of money - €150,000 (S$242,000) and €240,000 - which were sent to Vienna were meant for betting and as winnings to his friends, and were not for corruption activities.

"In fact, out of the sum of €240,000, the amount of €60,000 was meant to be used to purchase Hermes leather handbags for my wife," he said.

Said an AGC spokesman: "In his Order for Review of Detention application, the court heard and considered detailed oral as well as written arguments from both AGC and Tan's counsel, including Tan's 'no evidence' claim, but dismissed the application and further ordered costs against Tan."

[email protected]

Grimlock

Alfrescian
Loyal

Alleged global match-fixing kingpin Dan Tan freed by Court of Appeal

dan_tan.jpg

Alleged match-fixer Dan Tan Seet Eng leaving the Supreme Court building on Nov 25, 2015.ST PHOTO: WONG KWAI CHOW

Published Nov 25, 2015, 11:01 am SGT

SINGAPORE - Businessman Dan Tan Seet Eng, named by Interpol as "the leader of the world's most notorious match-fixing syndicate", was freed from detention by the Court of Appeal on Wednesday (Nov 25).

The 51-year-old has been detained in prison since October 2013 under the Criminal Law (Temporary Provisions) Act, which allows the Minister of Home Affairs (MHA) to order the detention of suspected criminals without trial. The orders are up to a year and reviewed annually.

Tan, represented by Mr Hamidul Haq and Mr Thong Chee Kun, had challenged his continued detention.

On Wednesday, the Court of Appeal ruled that his detention was unlawful.

In a statement later on Wednesday, MHA said,: "We will carefully consider what needs to be done in the current situation. The Ministry of Home Affairs will study the judgment carefully and assess further steps."

Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon, delivering the decision of the three-judge court, noted that the raison d'etre of the Act is the protection of public safety, peace and good order in Singapore.

But the grounds given for Tan's detention - fixing football matches in countries including Egypt, South Africa, Nigeria and Turkey - set out few connections with Singapore.

"While... these acts are reprehensible and should not be condoned, there is nothing to suggest whether, or how, these activities could be thought to have a bearing on the public safety, peace and good order within Singapore," he said.

"The matches fixed, whether or not successfully, all took place beyond our shores."

CJ Menon said the court was unable to see how the grounds put forward for Tan's detention can be said to fall within the scope of the circumstances in which the power to detain under the Act may be exercised by the Minister.

Tan's lawyer, Mr Haq, told The Straits Times: "My client is relieved and grateful to the court for having come to this fair conclusion."

Tan was seen talking with his lawyers, seated at cafe inside the Supreme Court building. He made a phone call and had a Coca-cola. His lawyer said Tan has not had an aerated drink for two years.

Tan was alleged to be the leader of a Singapore-based match-fixing syndicate.

In December 2011, he was named for allegedly masterminding fixed matches in Italy's Serie A and Serie B. He was also charged in absentia by a Hungarian court in May 2013 for his alleged role in fixing matches there.

In September 2013, Tan and 13 others were arrested by the Singapore authorities. He was then put under detention without trial.

[email protected]

Grimlock

Alfrescian
Loyal

Alleged match-fixer Dan Tan released: How the world's media covered it

36795429_-_25_11_2015_-_sedan26_0.jpg

The release of alleged match-fixer Dan Tan (centre) has made headlines beyond Singapore's shores. ST PHOTO: WONG KWAI CHOW

Published 7 hours ago
Shea Driscoll

SINGAPORE - The release of alleged global match-fixing kingpin Dan Tan Seet Eng has made headlines beyond Singapore's shores.

Named by Interpol as "the leader of the world's most notorious match-fixing syndicate", Tan was freed on Wednesday (Nov 25) by the Court of Appeal, which ruled that his detention was unlawful.

The New York Times reported that "the court found that the allegations did not meet the standard of the detention law" in a report titled "Singapore Court Orders Release of Man Accused of Fixing Soccer Matches".

It added that although an Italian prosecutor expects Tan to eventually face trial in the country and Hungarian prosecutors have indicted Tan, it was unclear if Tan would ever be extradited to either of the countries.

The BBC's report, "'Football match-fixer' Dan Tan freed by Singapore court", stated that Tan has been "implicated by Interpol in fixing hundreds of sports events, mostly football matches".

Elsewhere, wire reports were carried widely by other news outlets.

An Associated Press report, published by The Guardian, among others, mentioned that Tan's arrest in 2013 had been hailed by Interpol as a major breakthrough in the fight against football corruption.

It added that Tan is "very relieved" by the judgment, according to one of his lawyers, Mr Hamidul Haq.

The Times of India carried an Agence France-Presse article, which said that Tan was released after the Court of Appeal ruled that "he posed no danger to public safety and order".

Reuters, in its report, said that the decision to release Tan was criticised by International Centre for Sports Security executive director Chris Eaton.

The former Fifa head of security said: "If your economy and reputation are internationalised, you surely have a duty of care to that global market place, not just your own borders."

Grimlock

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tan posed no danger to public safety: CJ Menon

dantan.jpg

Alleged match-fixing mastermind Dan Tan pictured with his lawyers Thong Chee Kun(left) and Hamidul Haq (right) after being freed yesterday by the Court of Appeal.ST PHOTO: WONG KWAI CHOW

Published Nov 26, 2015, 5:00 am SGT

Court's decision to free Tan seen by some as blow against efforts to fight match-fixing

Selina Lum

After being detained for two years without trial, alleged match-fixing mastermind Dan Tan Seet Eng walked out of court yesterday a free man hours after the Court of Appeal declared his detention unlawful.

Given Tan's alleged links to football corruption across Europe, the Middle East and Africa, the decision was seen by some as a blow against efforts to fight matchfixing. But Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon made it clear that as bad as Tan's alleged crimes were, the 51-year-old did not pose a danger to public safety in Singapore to warrant being held under the Criminal Law (Temporary Provisions) Act.

"While... these acts are reprehensible and should not be condoned, there is nothing to suggest whether or how these activities could be thought to have a bearing on the public safety, peace and good order," CJ Menon said as he delivered the decision of a three-judge court.

"The matches fixed, whether or not successfully, all took place beyond our shores," he added.

A shaven-headed and gaunt-looking Tan, who was arrested along with 13 others in September 2013 and began his detention the next month, showed no elation as the judges ordered his release.

The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) said it will study the judgment carefully before deciding on its next move.

It explained that it began investigating Tan in 2011, when he was repeatedly cited in Italian court papers for his involvement in match-fixing.

He was accused by MHA of fixing matches in Egypt, South Africa, Nigeria, Turkey and Trinidad and Tobago. The attempts took place in 2010 and 2011. He was also accused of recruiting runners in Singapore and controlling overseas match-fixing agents and runners from here between 2009 and September 2013.

Tan's arrest in 2013 had been lauded by Interpol as a major blow against match-fixing. Yesterday, the former security chief at world football body Fifa, Mr Chris Eaton, made clear his unhappiness with the court's decision to free Tan.

He had previously fingered Tan as the mastermind of a group with hands in nearly every European football league. In an e-mailed reply to The Straits Times yesterday, the Australian, now an executive director at the International Centre for Sport Security, stood by his assertion. He said Tan had "wrought enormous damage in the global sport of football... Evidence of it abounds internationally".

Italian prosecutor Roberto Di Martino, who led the inquiry into international match-fixing that has resulted in 104 indictments so far, told The New York Times that an international arrest warrant that he made for Tan, who has also been charged in Hungary, still stands.

"If he comes to Italy he'll be arrested," he said. "Actually, he'll probably be arrested if he goes anywhere in Europe."

Tan said little after his release. His lawyers dealt with the paperwork needed for his release and even made a trip to a nearby mall to buy a new set of clothes for him.

At 3.35pm, he emerged stone-faced in the lobby, went to the building's cafe and sat with a can of Coca-Cola, and made several phone calls. His lawyer Hamidul Haq said it was Tan's first can of soda after his arrest.

Some 40 minutes later, Tan finally walked out of the courthouse with his lawyers. Asked what Tan's plans were, Mr Haq said Tan wanted to "connect back" with his three sons.

•Additional reporting by Sanjay Nair

Grimlock

Alfrescian
Loyal

Alleged match-fixer Dan Tan re-arrested

36795434_-_25_11_2015_-_sedan26.jpg

Dan Tan (centre) leaving the Supreme Court on Nov 25, 2015.ST PHOTO: WONG KWAI CHOW

Published 5 hours ago
Pearl Lee
Chew Hui Min

SINGAPORE - Dan Tan Seet Eng was arrested on Tuesday (Dec 1) night, less than a week after Singapore’s highest court declared that the alleged match-fixing kingpin’s detention without trial was unlawful and set him free.

Police declined to reveal more about his arrest other than releasing a statement at 9.45pm which read: “The police confirmed that they have arrested Dan Tan on Dec 1 for investigations into suspected involvement in criminal activities. Investigations are ongoing.”

When contacted, Tan’s lawyers, Mr Thong Chee Kun and Mr Hamidul Haq, said they were aware of his arrest. Mr Haq added: “We are trying to find the legal basis for the police’s action to re-arrest him.”

The Straits Times understands that the 51-year-old was nabbed at about 8pm at a place where he had been staying since he was let go.

Last week, his release on Nov 25 was criticised by former Interpol chief Ronald Noble and world football body Fifa, which said it was “very disappointed” with the Court of Appeal’s decision to free him.

Former Fifa head of security Chris Eaton, who had also lambasted the decision to free Tan, tweeted on Tuesday after finding out about his arrest: “I am pleased that the Singapore criminal justice system continues to work assertively on match-fixing investigations and prosecution.”

Tan, named by Interpol as “the leader of the world’s most notorious match-fixing syndicate”, has been linked to match-fixing across Europe, Egypt, South Africa, Nigeria, Turkey and Trinidad and Tobago.

He was arrested, with 13 others, in a series of police raids in September 2013. A month later, the Home Minister detained him without trial under the Criminal Law (Temporary Provisions) Act (CLTPA).

But on Nov 25, a three-judge panel that included Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon ruled in a landmark judgement that while Tan may have run an international match-fixing syndicate from Singapore, his activities did not pose a threat to the public safety, peace and good order here.

On Monday (Nov 30), Home Affairs and Law Minister K. Shanmugam defended the use of the CLTPA in Tan’s case, saying his detention had been “on good grounds”.

Tan was alleged to be the leader of a Singapore-based match-fixing syndicate.

In December 2011, he was named for allegedly masterminding fixed matches in Italy's Serie A and Serie B. He was also charged in absentia by a Hungarian court in May 2013 for his alleged role in fixing matches there.

Grimlock

Alfrescian
Loyal

Grounds to be set out in full if Dan Tan is detained: Shanmugam

2121536795622_-_25_11_2015_-_sqfix26.jpg

Dan Tan leaving the Supreme Court building with his lawyers on Nov 25 2015.PHOTO: THE NEW PAPER

Published Dec 2, 2015, 3:58 pm SGT
Selina Lum

SINGAPORE - If a decision is made to detain alleged match-fixing kingpin Dan Tan Seet Eng without trial once again, the grounds for his detention will be set out in full to comply with the Court of Appeal's ruling.

Minister of Home Affairs and Law K. Shanmugam said this on Wednesday at a press conference to reiterate that he accepts and respects the judgment of the court, which last week ordered the release of Tan, who had been detained without trial for two years.

Calling the judiciary a key institution, he said: "The reason why we are successful in Singapore is because we have built up institutions and given them status under the Constitution and accorded them due respect. Singapore's fundamentals depend on strong institutions and upholding the status."

The court had ruled last week that Tan's detention under the Criminal Law (Temporary Provisions) Act, commonly known as the CLTPA, could not be justified as the grounds for holding him - leading and funding a global match-fixing syndicate - did not comply with the requirements of the Act. The court ruled that a person can be detained under the Act only if he posed a threat to public safety, peace and good order within Singapore.

Tan was re-arrested on Tuesday night, six days after he was released.

Mr Shanmugam pointed out that the court had accepted in principle that match-fixing can come within the CLTPA. In Tan's case, the court ruled that the order to detain Tan had not set out the grounds which justified it.

"Dan Tan has now been re-arrested and investigations are ongoing. A decision will be made, one way or another, on what is to be done with him. If a detention order is issued again, it will set out the grounds in full."

He added that there is a process after the arrest that must be complied with.

"The Attorney-General's Chambers will advise us, we will look through and make a decision as to whether to issue a detention order or take another step. And then we will issue the appropriate public statement."

In response to a question on whether Tan's re-arrest was a due to international pressure, he said: "We do what is right. We don't arrest or release people based on international pressure. We do what is right for Singapore."

[email protected]

Grimlock

Alfrescian
Loyal

Minister clarifies arrest of Dan Tan

ST_20151203_SHAN03_1885668.jpg

Alleged match-fixing kingpin Dan Tan (left) leaving the courthouse last week, after the Court of Appeal ordered his release. Described by Interpol as "the leader of the world's most notorious match-fixing syndicate", he had been detained without trial for two years.PHOTO: AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

Published 4 hours ago
Selina Lum

If a decision is made to detain alleged match-fixing kingpin Dan Tan Seet Eng without trial once again, the grounds for his detention will be set out in full to comply with the Court of Appeal's ruling.

Minister for Home Affairs and Law K. Shanmugam made this clear at a press conference yesterday, a day after the 51-year-old Tan was re-arrested by police.

Last week, Singapore's apex court ordered the release of Tan, who had been detained without trial for two years. Described by Interpol as "the leader of the world's most notorious match-fixing syndicate", he has been linked to match- fixing across Europe, Egypt, South Africa, Nigeria, Turkey and Trinidad and Tobago.

But the court's three-judge panel ruled that for a person to be detained under the Criminal Law (Temporary Provisions) Act, or CLTPA, it must be shown that his activities affect public safety, peace and good order within Singapore.

And the detention order did not adequately show how leading and funding a syndicate which allegedly fixed matches overseas posed such risks here.

Mr Shanmugam stressed yesterday that he and his ministry have already said they accept and respect the judgment. If this was not the case, the right thing to do was to take up the matter in Parliament and change the law.

"Singapore's fundamentals depend on strong institutions and upholding their strength and status," he said.

In a post on Facebook, he also said: "Some media reports had inaccurately given the impression that the re-arrest goes against the judgment delivered by the Court of Appeal. That is not so.

"In this case, the court accepted that illegal match-fixing could come within the CLTPA. The Court of Appeal however said that the Detention Order issued against Dan Tan did not comply with the requirements of the Act, and did not adequately set out the grounds which justified the detention.

"The police have arrested Dan Tan for investigations. If he is detained under the CLTPA, the Detention Order will set out the grounds in full, as advised by the Attorney- General's Chambers, and will comply with the terms of the judgment."

Tan's release last week was criticised by former Interpol chief Ronald Noble and world football body Fifa.

Responding to a question during the press conference on whether international pressure played a part in Tan's re-arrest, Mr Shanmugam said: "We don't arrest or release people based on international pressure. We do what's right for Singapore."

Tan's lawyer Hamidul Haq told The Straits Times: "We have anticipated all the developments so far and we will seek legal recourse at the appropriate time."

Grimlock

Alfrescian
Loyal

Alleged match-fixer 'being held under same Act'

st_20151205_dan05_1892447.jpg

Dan Tan Seet Eng (centre) leaving the Supreme Court last month with lawyer Hamidul Haq (far right). Mr Haq said Tan is again being detained and investigated under the Criminal Law (Temporary Provisions) Act.ST FILE PHOTO

Published 57 min ago
Danson Cheong

Lawyers for alleged match-fixer Dan Tan Seet Eng confirmed yesterday that Tan is again being held and investigated under the Criminal Law (Temporary Provisions) Act (CLTPA).

The 51-year-old - described by Interpol as "the leader of the world's most notorious match-fixing syndicate" - was detained under the same Act without trial for two years before he was released last week.

The Court of Appeal had found his detention under the Act unlawful as his alleged match-fixing activities did not threaten public safety here.
Advertisement

Tan was re-arrested by the police last Tuesday night for "suspected involvement in criminal activities".

Tan's lawyer, Mr Hamidul Haq, told The Straits Times that he was informed by the police after Tan's arrest that his client was being held under the CLTPA. "We have confirmation that they are investigating under the CLTPA again," said Mr Haq. "The lawyers have requested for permission to meet with (Tan), but we have been told that investigations are ongoing and we will not be able to see him just yet."

Under the CLTPA, the police can detain a person for up to 16 days after arrest, while investigations are ongoing.

Home Affairs and Law Minister K. Shanmugam had said on Wednesday that if a decision is made to detain Tan without trial again, the grounds for his detention will be set out in full to comply with the Court of Appeal's ruling.

"In this case, the court accepted that illegal match-fixing could come within the CLTPA. The Court of Appeal, however, said that the Detention Order issued against Dan Tan did not comply with the requirements of the Act, and did not adequately set out the grounds which justified the detention.

"If he is detained under the CLTPA, the Detention Order will set out the grounds in full, as advised by the Attorney-General's Chambers, and will comply with the terms of the judgment," he said.

Grimlock

Alfrescian
Loyal

Alleged match-fixer Dan Tan's ex-wife denies lying to CPIB officer

Madam Guan Enmei, ex-wife of Dan Tan, was shocked to learn about his release. She said they divorced over a multitude of reasons and "not about the case".

ST_20151127_DAN27_1871322.jpg

Madam Guan Enmei, ex-wife of Dan Tan.PHOTO: FROM THE FACEBOOK PAGE OF CHERRY ENMEI GUAN

Published Jan 15, 2016, 1:30 pm SGT
Elena Chong
Court Correspondent

SINGAPORE - An ex-wife of alleged match-fixer Dan Tan Seet Eng appeared in court on Friday (Jan 15) to answer a charge of giving false information to the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB).

Guan Enmei's case was fixed for mention for the 40-year-old to plead guilty but she denied the charge.

She said: "I did not give false information.''

The Singaporean woman, who was charged in May last year, is accused of knowingly giving false information to a senior special investigator of the bureau by stating during an interview on June 6, 2013, that she had left her house with only her handbag.

She allegedly denied that she had taken with her a paper bag containing two laptops when she left her home, which she knew to be false.

Madam Guan Enmei, ex-wife of Dan Tan, was shocked to learn about his release. She said they divorced over a multitude of reasons and "not about the case".

Guan, who is unrepresented, told District Judge Chay Yuen Fatt that she wanted to have the case concluded for the sake of her son so that she could take him to China for his education.

The judge told her that he could not accept a plea out of convenience.

He noted that the prosecution was asking for a fairly long jail term.

Guan, who was in tears, said she did not give false information.

Her case is fixed for a pre-trial conference on Jan 28. She is out on $10,000 bail.

If convicted, she could be fined up to $10,000 and jailed for up to one year.

Her 51-year-old ex-husband - described by Interpol as "the leader of the world's most notorious match-fixing syndicate" - has been detained under the Criminal Law (Temporary Provisions) Act. Guan and Tan, who has been thrice married and has two sons from a previous marriage, have an 11-year-old son.

He had been detained since September 2013 and released in November last year by Singapore's highest court before his re-arrest six days later on Dec 1.

Under the CLTPA, the police can detain a person for up to 16 days after arrest, while investigations are ongoing.

Grimlock

Alfrescian
Loyal

3 alleged football match-fixing syndicate members released from detention

20151011_soccerball_reuters.jpg

Photo: Reuters

Monday, Jan 18, 2016

SINGAPORE - Three members in the alleged football match-fixing syndicate led by Dan Tan have been released from detention.

The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) said in a statement today that all three have been placed on Police Supervision Orders.

Tan was arrested in 2013 by the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) for running a syndicate that allegedly made millions of euros from manipulating various football matches, including Italy's Serie A and Serie B.

He was detained without trial under the Criminal Law (Temporary Provisions) Act, but was set free after the Court of Appeal ruled that he had been unlawfully detained.

Alleged global football match-fixer Dan Tan freed in Singapore
Photo Source: The Straits Times, The New Paper
1 of 16

However, he was subsequently re-arrested. MHA said at the time: "The new Detention Order issued on Saturday (Dec 5, 2015) against Dan Tan, expressly sets out the grounds which show the extent of Dan Tan's match-fixing activities from and within Singapore, and why this necessitates the issuance of a Detention Order under the CLTPA.

"The grounds set out the seriousness of Dan Tan's criminal activities over many years, their impact on public safety, peace and good order within Singapore, and the fact that he has intimidated witnesses to the extent that they continue to be unwilling to testify against him for fear of reprisal."

[email protected]

Grimlock

Alfrescian
Loyal

Match-fixing case: Detention orders revoked for 3 men

2121536795622_-_25_11_2015_-_sqfix26.jpg

Published Jan 19, 2016, 5:00 am SGT
Lim Yi Han

Home Affairs Minister K. Shanmugam has revoked the Detention Orders of three members of an illegal match-fixing syndicate.

The trio, who were not identified, have now been placed on Police Supervision Orders for three years under the Criminal Law (Temporary Provisions) Act (CLTPA) instead, the Ministry of Home Affairs said yesterday.

Those under supervision orders have to inform the police of their whereabouts, may have to keep a curfew, or report to the police when called, among other restrictions.

The ministry said the three men had been issued with Detention Orders for their involvement in a syndicate that conducted "major, illegal, global soccer match-fixing activities from and within Singapore".

They are believed to have been detained since October 2013 as part of a crackdown on alleged match-fixer Dan Tan's syndicate.

The ministry, in a statement, said: "The evidence against the three persons, and their roles in the syndicate, were recently reviewed, after the Court of Appeal gave its decision in Dan Tan's case.

"On the evidence, as it stands now, the minister is satisfied that Detention Orders in respect of the three persons should be revoked... The syndicate leader, Dan Tan, was issued with a new Detention Order."

Under the CLTPA, the Home Affairs Minister has the powers to detain a suspect without trial for up to a year, if he deems it necessary, "in the interests of public safety, peace and good order".

Tan was previously detained for two years, before he was released on Nov 25 last year. The Court of Appeal found that the Detention Order did not expressly show that Tan's activities had a bearing on public safety, peace and good order in Singapore.

After being re-arrested on Dec 1, a new Detention Order showing the extent of his match-fixing activities from and within Singapore was issued by Mr Shanmugam, with the Public Prosecutor's consent.

Lockdown

Alfrescian
Loyal

Match-fixing kingpin's ex-wife on trial for providing false information

20160516_match-fixing_screengrab.jpg

Guan Enmei (left) allegedly provided false information to the CPIB during their investigation of her ex-husband, Dan Tan Seet Eng (right) Photo: Internet screengrab

Monday, May 16, 2016

SINGAPORE - Embattled match-fixing kingpin Dan Tan Seet Eng's ex-wife is on trial for a single charge of providing false information to the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) on June 6, 2013.

According to The Straits Times, Guan Enmei, 41, allegedly called Tan's associate, Eric Ding, to seek help for two laptops that were in her possession after the CPIB started investigating Tan.

During the trial which began today (May 16) and will end tomorrow, Ding, who is currently serving six years in prison for bribing Lebanese football officials with prostitutes in return for match-fixes, testified that Guan called him after the graft investigation.

His testimony was in response to the prosecution's query about why she had called him. He said that he "shared the same network of encrypted phones and laptops with Tan to communicate with each other".

The report stated that on June 6, after Tan was told to head to the CPIB office, he had instructed Gan to "take two laptops from the study, place them in a bag and hand him the bag after he was released".

Guan had allegedly lied about not taking "with her a paper bag containing two laptops, which according to the charge, she knew to be false", as she had travelled with the white Dior paper bag to the CPIB building but had left it with her driver, Chen De Zhan. She had been driven to the CPIB by another driver, Akbar Abdul Ali.

The bag had subsequently been seized from Chen, while he had been waiting for her.

If found guilty, Guan could be fined up to $10,000 and jailed up to one year in prison.

[email protected]

Stryker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ex-wife of alleged match-fixer admits lying to CPIB

ST_20160518_AHGUAN189HMT_2298753.jpg

If found guilty, Guan, who is out on $10,000 bail, faces a maximum punishment of a $10,000 fine and a year in jail.ST PHOTO: CHEW SENG KIM

Published 46 min ago

But she tells court it was not over her then husband's laptops but her mode of transport

Amir Hussain

The then wife of alleged match-fixing kingpin Dan Tan Seet Eng purportedly knew that his two laptops held incriminating evidence against him - so she removed them from their home to prevent graft investigators from finding them, a court heard yesterday.

Guan Enmei also feigned ignorance about the laptops in an interview with the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) after Tan had been taken in for questioning, Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) Jasmin Kaur said at the close of her trial.

Guan, 41, is accused of lying to a CPIB investigator about Tan's computers on June 6, 2013.

Under cross-examination on the second day of the trial yesterday, Guan, a China-born Singaporean who divorced Tan last year, admitted lying to the CPIB, but not in relation to the laptops.

The lie was about taking a taxi, instead of a limousine, she said.

On May 9 last year, two days after she was prosecuted in court for her single charge, Guan sent a letter to the CPIB. It read: "Sir, I am very sorry that I told lies on some issues. I know I am wrong...

"Let me say sorry again. I am wrong. Please give me a chance. I beg you to excuse me."

Asked to explain what she meant by the "lies", Guan said she had been chauffeured by a limousine driver to the CPIB office in Lengkok Bahru, but told an investigator that she had taken a taxi from Rivervale Crescent instead.

This prompted District Judge Lee Poh Choo to ask Guan: "Can you explain why this is so important that you have to write (to the CPIB investigator)?"

Guan replied through a Mandarin translator: "This is the only mistake I made."

She agreed, however, with DPP Kaur's suggestion that she wrote the letter in desperation, hoping for mercy.

But Guan denied knowing Tan's laptops held evidence which he did not want the CPIB to get hold of. "He is not someone who will be happy to let me check his things," she said.

Pointing out that they married in 2003, but she found out about Tan's last marriage in 2008 and another former marriage only in 2013, Guan said: "I was ignorant of my own marriage... Would he allow me to ask about his things?

"I'm just a housewife. As long as I receive my maintenance fee every month that's good enough," she later added.

Guan also initially denied knowing that Tan was being investigated for fixing football matches at the time she was called to the CPIB's office on June 6, 2013.

However, she admitted she had known about it after DPP Kaur showed her an interview she gave to The New Paper in March 2013 in which she said that reports and allegations of Tan's involvement in match-fixing were "100 per cent false and untrue".

"It's so laughable and funny," she told the newspaper.

Pressed by the DPP, Guan agreed that by March 2013, she knew that Tan was being investigated for international match-fixing. "I asked my husband about this, but he said he was not willing to talk about it," she added.

The judge is expected to deliver her verdict on June 13.

If found guilty of knowingly giving false information to a graft investigator, Guan, who is out on $10,000 bail, faces a maximum punishment of a $10,000 fine and one year in jail.

Tan, described by Interpol as "the leader of the world's most notorious match-fixing syndicate", is being detained without trial under the Criminal Law (Temporary Provisions) Act.

Stryker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ex-wife of alleged match-fixing kingpin Dan Tan found guilty of lying to CPIB investigator

Guan Enmei, ex-wife of alleged match-fixing kingpin, Dan Tan.

20160613-st-guanenmei.jpg

Photo: The Straits Times

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016

SINGAPORE - After a two-day trial, the then wife of alleged match-fixing kingpin Dan Tan Seet Eng was on Monday (June 13) found guilty of lying to an anti-graft investigator about two of his laptops, which she was trying to hide from the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB).

Guan Enmei, 41, had said during an interview at the CPIB office on June 6, 2013 that she had left her home with only a handbag and had not brought along a paper bag containing the two laptops. But this was untrue.

District Judge Lee Poh Choo, in her brief grounds of decision, said Guan knew that the laptops contained incriminating evidence and wanted to hide them from the CPIB.

The judge also said that Guan was not a credible witness and had lied while testifying in court.

During her trial last month, Guan had initially said that she was not aware of Tan's alleged involvement in international match-fixing in June 2013. But when confronted with newspaper reports during cross-examination, she admitted that she was aware of this.

The court had heard that on June 6 that year, Tan was asked to report to the CPIB office in Lengkok Bahru. Before he left home, he told Guan to take two laptops from the study, place them in a bag and hand him the bag after he was released.

That afternoon, Guan was herself told to report to the CPIB.

As her usual limousine driver was unable to pick her up from her home, he arranged for another driver to do so.

When the driver arrived at her home, Guan placed a white Dior paper bag in the back seat of the car before sitting in the front passenger seat.

She phoned Tan's alleged accomplice, Eric Ding Si Yang, for advice about the two laptops in the bag while on the way to CPIB.

On arriving at the CPIB carpark, Guan met her usual driver and asked him to safekeep the paper bag for her until she came out of the building.

He then waited for her at a nearby coffee shop, where graft investigators later seized the bag and two laptops.

When questioned about the laptops by a CPIB investigator, Guan insisted that she did not know anything about them.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Jasmin Kaur asked for four to six months' jail, noting that Guan's action were akin to an attempt to obstruct the course of justice.

In mitigation, defence lawyer Foo Cheow Ming said the false information that Guan gave was relatively minor and had minimal impact, if any, on CPIB investigations into Tan's alleged match-fixing activities. Mr Foo asked for a conditional discharge or a fine.

Guan is expected to be sentenced next Monday (June 20).

She is out on $10,000 bail.

Under the Prevention of Corruption Act, the maximum punishment for a person who gives false or misleading information to a CPIB investigator is a $10,000 fine and one year's jail.

Tan, described by Interpol as "the leader of the world's most notorious match-fixing syndicate", is being detained without trial under the Criminal Law (Temporary Provisions) Act for the second time.

Now 52, Tan was first arrested on Sept 16, 2013.

Guan, a Singaporean from China, was Tan's third wife. She divorced him in July last year.

Stryker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ex-wife of alleged match-fixing kingpin Dan Tan gets 2 months' jail for lying to CPIB officer

38788165_-_20_06_2016_-_ahhuan21.jpg

The third wife of alleged match-fixing kingpin Dan Tan Seet Eng was given two months' jail, on June 20, 2016, for lying to an anti-graft investigator. ST PHOTO: WONG KWAI CHOW

Published 10 hours ago
Amir Hussain

SINGAPORE - The third wife of alleged match-fixing kingpin Dan Tan Seet Eng was on Monday (June 20) given two months' jail for lying to an anti-graft investigator.

Guan Enmei, 41, was found guilty last Monday (June 13) of lying to the investigator about two of Tan's laptops, which she was trying to hide from the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB).

Guan had said during an interview at the bureau's office on June 6, 2013, that she had left her home with only a handbag and had not brought along a paper bag containing the laptops. But this was a lie.

District Judge Lee Poh Choo, who presided over Guan's two-day trial in May, said last week that Guan must have known the laptops contained incriminating evidence and wanted to hide them from the CPIB.

In her sentencing remarks on Monday, the judge said that lying to a law enforcement officer cannot be treated lightly, especially in this case, where Guan knew the enormity of the international match-fixing saga.

Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) Jasmin Kaur applied for her sentence to be deferred, pending an appeal by the prosecution.

Judge Lee set Guan's bail at $20,000.

The DPP had asked for four to six months' jail, saying Guan's action was "akin to an attempt to obstruct the course of justice".

Defence lawyer Foo Cheow Ming, meanwhile, said the false information Guan gave was relatively minor and had minimal impact, if any, on CPIB's investigations into Tan's alleged match-fixing activities. He had asked for a conditional discharge or a fine.

The court had heard that on June 6 that year, Tan was asked to report to CPIB's office. Before he left home, he told Guan to take two laptops, place them in a bag and hand it back to him after he was released.

That afternoon, Guan was herself told to report to the bureau.

Her usual driver, who was unable to pick her up from her home, arranged for another driver to do so.

When the driver arrived at her home, Guan placed a white Dior paper bag in the back seat before getting into the front passenger seat.

She phoned Tan's alleged accomplice, Eric Ding Si Yang, for advice about the two laptops in the bag while on the way to the bureau.

On arriving at CPIB's carpark, she met her usual driver and asked him to hold on to the bag for her until she came out of the building. He then waited with it at a nearby coffee shop, where it was later seized by anti-graft investigators.

When questioned about the bag and laptops by a CPIB investigator, Guan insisted she did not know anything about them.

The maximum penalty for giving false or misleading information to a CPIB investigator is a $10,000 fine and one year's jail.

Tan, described by Interpol as "the leader of the world's most notorious match-fixing syndicate", is being detained without trial under the Criminal Law (Temporary Provisions) Act for the second time. Now 52, he was first arrested on Sept 16, 2013.

Guan was Tan's third wife. She divorced him in July last year.

Lockdown

Alfrescian
Loyal

Judge: Why I gave alleged match-fixer's ex only 2 months' jail

Guan Enmei, ex-wife of alleged matchfixing kingpin Dan Tan Seet Eng, arrives at the State Courts on 20 June 2016.

20160713_guan_st.jpg

Photo: The Straits Times

K.C. Vijayan
Wednesday, Jul 13, 2016

The lies of the former wife of alleged match-fixing czar Dan Tan Seet Eng affected no one but herself. So a judge jailed her for two months instead of the minimum four that prosecutors sought.

Whatever Guan Enmei's intention and motives were, "when she lied, the falsehood did not delay or hinder CPIB's (Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau's) investigations," said District Judge Lee-Khoo Poh Choo.

The offence was also not "a sophisticated and well-planned deception", she added in written grounds for her decision, released last week.

Guan, 41, who divorced Tan in July last year, was found guilty last month of lying to an anti-graft investigator about two of Tan's laptops, which she tried to hide from the CPIB.

Guan had lied when she said in an interview on June 6, 2013, that she had left her home with only a handbag and had not taken along a paper bag containing the laptops.

But the false answers were not material, given that the CPIB had already seized the laptops from another man who had been nabbed.

Prosecutors Jasmine Kaur and Stacey Fernandez had told the court there were no precedents for offences of this nature where the offender hid the evidence and then lied to obstruct justice.

The district judge said they had "argued arduously" for a jail term of up to six months, but agreed that she was not involved in match-fixing.

However, although Judge Lee-Khoo did not hand down the prosecution's requested punishment, she had harsh words for Guan. She noted that during the trial Guan had cast "baseless aspersions" on the integrity of CPIB officers, insinuating in particular that the officer who had interviewed her had made a false e-diary entry.

She found her to be a savvy, knowledgeable woman of strong will and character, and with a mind of her own. She said Guan's "sharp retorts" when cross-examined during the trial reflected her character.

The judge added that Guan lied when she claimed that she did not know Tan was being probed for international match-fixing, among other things.

Guan's lawyer Foo Cheow Ming had said in mitigation that she had shown remorse by apologising to the CPIB in writing in May last year. But the judge pointed out that there was no mention of what lies she was apologising for, discounting Guan's claim that she had apologised for lying that she had taken a taxi to the CPIB when she had, in fact, been driven there in a limousine. At best, Guan's letter of apology showed that she was not truthful, said the judge.

She said the offence could not be swept aside as a minor offence and that Guan's blatant disregard and disrespect justified a jail term.

"The accused must know the enormity of this international match-fixing saga and the effect on Singapore's repute," she said.

Prosecutors are appealing against the sentence while Guan is appealing against the conviction and sentence.