• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HSR and RTS Discussion

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I am not wrong, many people in Singapore also take more than an hour from their HDB to office each way using public transport. Crossing borders does have its hassles but it's a trade off that just have to be accepted. If cannot accept then should not move over.

Use common sense. There will be many who take less time to go to work if it is within Singapore. By MRT, I take 28 mins only from the time I step out of my home till I reach the door of my office. Travel time is less than 15 mins. There will be fewer cases whereby it will take more than 1 hour to reach work.

I am only pointing out why HSR and RTS may not change the situation of getting more Singaporeans to live in Johor and work in Singapore.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Use common sense. There will be many who take less time to go to work if it is within Singapore. By MRT, I take 28 mins only from the time I step out of my home till I reach the door of my office. Travel time is less than 15 mins. There will be fewer cases whereby it will take more than 1 hour to reach work.

I am only pointing out why HSR and RTS may not change the situation of getting more Singaporeans to live in Johor and work in Singapore.

Using common sense also, not many people would be as fortunate as you where their office and home is just a mere 30 min away.:cool:

I am sure the RTS will see more people moving over to JB. But I am also sure that we won't see a mass exodus, if that's what you are talking about. Life will find its new equilibrium so maybe when that happens, the number of people who are living in JB then could be 10,000 instead of the 5,000 now reported in the newspapers. Certainly not significant enough to make a dent within Singapore population.

Last edited:

gooddebt

Alfrescian
Loyal
Using common sense also, not many people would be as fortunate as you where their office and home is just a mere 30 min away.:cool:

I am sure the RTS will see more people moving over to JB. But I am also sure that we won't see a mass exodus, if that's what you are talking about. Life will find its new equilibrium so maybe when that happens, the number of people who are living in JB then could be 10,000 instead of the 5,000 now reported in the newspapers. Certainly not significant enough to make a dent within Singapore population.

I believe more than 10k will go over to JB . The costs of living is rising so fast and we are ageing equally fast too. I read we will have 900K folks above 60 in 10 years' time ! Retires dont need to travel to n fro everyday .

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe more than 10k will go over to JB . The costs of living is rising so fast and we are ageing equally fast too. I read we will have 900K folks above 60 in 10 years' time ! Retires dont need to travel to n fro everyday .

Possible too. They only need to sign in and out before 30 days are up.

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
$75/= a day x 30days = $2,250/= per pax . Why don't rent a room in SG instead ?

75x20 (working days) = S$1500. If you drive private car, 35x20 (VEP) + ~5x20 (MY toll) + 5x20 (ERP) + ~200 (Petrol) + 300 parking in Raffles = S$1400 (this is not including your monthly installment).

Also I'm not talking about squeezing in 10 ppl in 1 car, just 4/5 sitting comfortably in their executive seats with someone driving you home, hopefully everyone lives in the same condo.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
75x20 (working days) = S$1500. If you drive private car, 35x20 (VEP) + ~5x20 (MY toll) + 5x20 (ERP) + ~200 (Petrol) + 300 parking in Raffles = S$1400 (this is not including your monthly installment).

Also I'm not talking about squeezing in 10 ppl in 1 car, just 4/5 sitting comfortably in their executive seats with someone driving you home, hopefully everyone lives in the same condo.

Get a Hyundai Starex. Confirm no need to squeeze! :biggrin:

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal

Duhh!! That's my point. It's not a mass exodus. Ask yourself: Among the millions of working adults in Singapore, will there be a bigger portion taking 30 minutes to reach work, or 2 hours? Even if many are not as "lucky" as me to be able to reach work in 28 minutes, I'm sure there are not as many who have to spend as much as 1.5 to 2 hours every day?

I'm not only the "lucky" one to take 28 mins to reach work. Many are also "lucky" to be able to reach work in under 40 mins with Singapore's excellent transport network. Those who are living in Singapore will still take a much shorter time to go to work. So only a small proportion will find it attractive to live in JB when the RTS is up. If ever, that is.

One has to consider many other factors when calculating the total journey time . Just got to be mindful of them. I see so often Iskandar property advertisements that state "15 minutes from CIQ". That's certainly misleading.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
One has to consider many other factors when calculating the total journey time . Just got to be mindful of them. I see so often Iskandar property advertisements that state "15 minutes from CIQ". That's certainly misleading.

Nothing to mislead. It is 15 minutes to CIQ on MY side.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ask yourself: Among the millions of working adults in Singapore, will there be a bigger portion taking 30 minutes to reach work, or 2 hours? Even if many are not as "lucky" as me to be able to reach work in 28 minutes, I'm sure there are not as many who have to spend as much as 1.5 to 2 hours every day?
No matter what, taking mass public transportation (MRT and buses) in Singapore is definitely more efficient and faster than in JB, especially when more MRT lines will be completed in the coming future.

The main difference between them is that the Singapore government greatly emphasizes on a car-lite city due to road limitation, whilst in JB and Malaysia, cars are relatively cheap (especially for PROTON and PERODUA) and apart from KL and Penang island, the other states don't really place too much effort to improve on their public transport system, at least for the moment.

If the Singapore government doesn't improve its mass public transportation but will still want to curb the car population, they are digging their own graves and be prepared to lose more votes during elections.

In Malaysia, why would I still need to take the public transport when I can get a reasonably good condition "B-segment" resale car for about RM10k, which is also more practical for city use and the regular trips to supermarkets for groceries.

Last edited:

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the RTS is up, a number of PR will choose to rent in CIQ nearby Condos rather than HDB rooms in SG.
These numbers are not a lot but could be ten of thousands. Some Sg people will do that too.
Retirees number not factor in yet. 900k old people. 5% = 45k liao.
Dun count your Chickens too early. (Goes both ways).
Keep an open mind.

:cool:

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
About $55K, a few grand more than the current COE of $51K for 1600cc and above. Diesel and no 10 year lifespan, with cruise control thrown in I've never enjoyed the NS highway better!

Thanks Mr Frodo. Yes, it is worth it.
Im looking for one.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Duhh!! That's my point. It's not a mass exodus. Ask yourself: Among the millions of working adults in Singapore, will there be a bigger portion taking 30 minutes to reach work, or 2 hours? Even if many are not as "lucky" as me to be able to reach work in 28 minutes, I'm sure there are not as many who have to spend as much as 1.5 to 2 hours every day?

I'm not only the "lucky" one to take 28 mins to reach work. Many are also "lucky" to be able to reach work in under 40 mins with Singapore's excellent transport network. Those who are living in Singapore will still take a much shorter time to go to work. So only a small proportion will find it attractive to live in JB when the RTS is up. If ever, that is.

And my point has always been that it won’t be a mass exodus…so uhhh…duh?

Anyway….with 6.9million people and millions of working adults, there will be many people who will be lucky to work 15 minutes from home, and people who have to journey 1.5hrs to office, and many in between. My point was that the journey time from JB to office is also comparable to what many are experiencing within Singapore itself, simple as that. It’s a form of self-consolation lah…can right? My bike journey used to be 30min, now it’s 1.5 hrs on average. I accept that, even though I don’t always like that. But occasionally life throws in a few surprises and I can reach office in less than 60min. In any case I make use of the time to read my Kindle when caught in the middle of the bike jam. Life is always about making choices and trade-offs, more so for peasantry. To you it’s not worth the hassle, to me it’s totally worth it simply because back in Singapore it will just be the same old life whereas in JB it’s refreshingly new…exciting…and some may even say dangerous..LOL!

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
And my point has always been that it won’t be a mass exodus…so uhhh…duh?

Anyway….with 6.9million people and millions of working adults, there will be many people who will be lucky to work 15 minutes from home, and people who have to journey 1.5hrs to office, and many in between. My point was that the journey time from JB to office is also comparable to what many are experiencing within Singapore itself, simple as that. It’s a form of self-consolation lah…can right? My bike journey used to be 30min, now it’s 1.5 hrs on average. I accept that, even though I don’t always like that. But occasionally life throws in a few surprises and I can reach office in less than 60min. In any case I make use of the time to read my Kindle when caught in the middle of the bike jam. Life is always about making choices and trade-offs, more so for peasantry. To you it’s not worth the hassle, to me it’s totally worth it simply because back in Singapore it will just be the same old life whereas in JB it’s refreshingly new…exciting…and some may even say dangerous..LOL!
For some pple , iskandar is always bad la, dun waste time with them.

borei

Alfrescian
Loyal
My friend stay at River Valley and working at Shenton Way. 5 mins walk to bus stop, take 195 alight at China Town, take train to teluk ayer, reach office. Not less than 40mins. If the bus195 delay, then the next bus will be full (at 830am-845am), lagi jialat. just for your reference.

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
My friend stay at River Valley and working at Shenton Way. 5 mins walk to bus stop, take 195 alight at China Town, take train to teluk ayer, reach office. Not less than 40mins. If the bus195 delay, then the next bus will be full (at 830am-845am), lagi jialat. just for your reference.

Plus river valley condo rents are nuts... nice environment though.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
My bike journey used to be 30min, now it’s 1.5 hrs on average.
So, your total daily traveling time has been increased by 300%, 5 days a week. You sure have the patience. For me, I just can't accept that. 30 minutes into the jam at the Singapore Customs and I'm already cursing and swearing.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
So, your total daily traveling time has been increased by 300%, 5 days a week. You sure have the patience. For me, I just can't accept that. 30 minutes into the jam at the Singapore Customs and I'm already cursing and swearing.

LOL!

In my view, the bike jams are largely Singapore’s fault. It’s not the tighter security check that’s causing the bike jam, but the whole design and set up of the checkpoint. The way the primary clearance (passport) counters are arranged, it is designed to create bottleneck jams! It would have been far better if the passport counters are positioned like the MY tolls, straight-through processing. And if you are unlucky you can even get caught in a 1.5hr U-shaped bike jam at the Old Woodlands Checkpoint! Not only that, not all automated/manual counters are opened at peak hours. And whoever is directing the flow of bikers coming into the Singapore Checkpoint at Woodlands, really is cannot make it! Often times you see the hired guards (Aetos) playing games with the bikers, opening and closing access to the faster clearing lanes. Not only that, it’s like every day they will chut new patterns, changing the format so that bikers always have to decide at the last minute which is the “better and lesser jammed” area to go to. And these Aetos officers will say they are just taking orders from ICA. Seriously?

Yep, so that’s the way it is now, I spent more time going home…but it is not time wasted…because in a way I actually have more “me time” reading my books on Kindle because normally once I get home it will just be spending time with the family and then kooning. I just have to adapt and make the most out of the situation. Like I said, it’s a trade-off, I see beyond the “immediate personal suffering” of the bike jams and considering how much more happier the wife and kids are at home, it’s worth it lah.