• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Aren't all heavy vehicles supposed to install speed limiters?

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I understand all heavy vehicles are required to install speed limiters. If this is strictly enforced, there would not be any speeding-related accidents involving heavy vehicles. So why is this even an issue?

The answer lies in strict enforcement, not changing the way drivers are being paid. Tackle the root cause, not the effect. WTF is the million-dollar minister and civil servants in LTA doing?

[h=2]Call to pay commercial drivers a fixed salary[/h]

20130903_hawazidaipi.jpg

Thursday, Sep 05, 2013

Janice Heng

The Straits Times

<!--smart_paging_filter_done-->SINGAPORE - All commercial drivers should be given a fixed salary to help reduce deaths on the road, a government safety board has recommended.

It says no longer paying per journey could reduce the incentive to rush.

The proposal by the Workplace Safety and Health (WSH) Council follows calls for action in the wake of January's horrific concrete truck accident that killed two young brothers in Tampines. And it comes ahead of a change in the law next year that will mean companies have to report all work-related traffic accidents.

Many drivers already get a fixed wage, The Straits Times understands. But it is also common for them to receive incentives for each trip. "I think the element of incentives is inevitable," said OCWS Logistics general manager Christopher Yeo.

The proposal is one of many in new draft guidelines developed by the council. Other topics covered include routes, vehicle maintenance and drivers' work schedules.

Details were revealed on Monday at a forum organised by the WSH Council and Manpower Ministry (MOM). Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Manpower and Education Hawazi Daipi also announced that drivers will have to report all work-related traffic accidents from next year.

"This amendment will enable us to be more effective in tracking the frequency and causes of work-related traffic accidents to identify possible areas of intervention," he said.

From now on, work-related traffic accidents will be included in the half-yearly WSH statistics report. "As business leaders that have control over a large fleet of vehicles and drivers, your role is especially important," Mr Hawazi told about 400 industry players at the forum.

He added that 30 per cent of vehicles in Singapore are used for work. Last year, 13 people died in work-related traffic accidents, up from 10 in 2011.

Many companies are already taking steps to make the roads safer. Mr Yeo's firm tracks its 100-odd drivers using an in-vehicle monitoring system, which can tell whether they buckle up, speed, brake suddenly, and so on. This makes them more aware of their behaviour and encourages safer driving.
MOM is now studying whether such systems can improve traffic safety, while the WSH Institute is studying the impact of a rotating night shift on logistics drivers.

Meanwhile, the WSH Council is making an educational video on safe driving for heavy vehicles, to be released later this month. It will also hold two safety clinics for employers, together with the ministry, the traffic police and Singapore Road Safety Council.

"We cannot... shift the responsibility of driving safely solely to the drivers," said Mr Hawazi.

Nigel Yap Yew Cheong, 13, and Donavan Yap Teck Siong, seven, died after being hit by the concrete mixer at a junction on Jan 28. Its driver has pleaded not guilty to causing death by negligence.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]Fixed wages for drivers throw up productivity conundrum[/h][h=2][/h]

<!--start of story text-->THE Workplace Safety and Health Council's call for commercial drivers to be paid a fixed salary may need to be carefully reviewed ("Call to pay commercial drivers a fixed salary"; Tuesday).
If
such drivers are paid a fixed monthly salary, would they have any incentive to improve their productivity? Also, would they be short-changed by their employers?

If the aim is to reduce traffic accidents, then what about taxi drivers, whose earnings also depend on the number of trips they make? It is common to see cabbies driving at high speeds just to make enough to cover their daily overheads.

Accidents may also be due to the driver's health, age and mindset, and the vehicle's condition.

Paying a fixed salary will create massive administrative problems in ensuring that incomes match productivity levels.

One way to resolve the issue is to determine the time needed for the truck driver to complete a trip, taking into consideration road conditions.

If the driver arrives earlier than expected, then there is a high chance that he was speeding. If he arrives much later than expected, then he could be idling.

Either way, a penalty could be imposed if the drivers are indeed found to be speeding or idling.

Francis Cheng
<!--end of story text-->

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I do not see the speed limiters anymore, till this day, it is still common to see these heavy vehicles traveling at a speed, the F1 drivers would envy..go to Tuas!, you will know what I mean!. The other thing is to educate or enforce the rules for cyclists too, especially riding them bicycles across the traffic lights at top speed to beat the green flashing man!, & riding on pedestrian walkways at top speed too. Till now, with condolence to the deceased parents, I still feel that the two boys who died, they share the blame...had they not been in a rush, the fatal accident would not occur...& the other half would be the driver.

But, we have to enforce the rules that these heavy leaden vehicles speed be LIMITED!! & cyclists educated or enforce the rules..before another fatal accident occurs!

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do not see the speed limiters anymore, till this day, it is still common to see these heavy vehicles traveling at a speed, the F1 drivers would envy..go to Tuas!, you will know what I mean!.

Youre blardy right on!!!! Ware the fook is the TP when u need them? Go Tuas lah!!! Confirm can spot at least 7 out of 10 heavy vehicles speeding down the freeway. Confirm TP will be richer via fines imposed on these F1 wannabes. These blardy big vehicle drivers are fooking losers. If they bother to study harder, they would be an executive today, drawing a nice salary & sitting in a cosy room instead of sweating their balls off working graveyard shift as a lorry driver.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now no more light on top of lorry roof. But there is buzzer in the lorry. The driver will unplug or the buzzer.

orientalfix

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dangerous, as it would be unsafe for overtaking. Install the big blinking light is better....speed all you want, just pay the price.

Yup. I understand from my malay gf that most of them are speeding because they're being paid per trip.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
very simple solution. just offer a $50 bounty for in-car video evidence of speeding heavy vehicles. the Stomp brigade will heed the clarion call.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I beg to differ. For a heavy vehicle, being paid by per trip encourages dangerous driving. In Singapore roads its already so congested, how to drive any faster? And with modern technology like GPS installed on trucks. This allows management to monitor the drivers performance, if they speeding or slacking off or not driving properly.Why arent such modern methods being used in 1st world Singkieland?

if they are not paid per trip, those slackers will be having prata and kopi half the time. the other half in toilet sleeping.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
I beg to differ. For a heavy vehicle, being paid by per trip encourages dangerous driving. In Singapore roads its already so congested, how to drive any faster? And with modern technology like GPS installed on trucks. This allows management to monitor the drivers performance, if they speeding or slacking off or not driving properly.Why arent such modern methods being used in 1st world Singkieland?

i wasnt clear, my bad. the situation degenerated into pay-per-trip coz the early bunch of drivers were slacking too much.

of course pay-per-trip will encourage reckless driving, which can be mitigated by modern technology. why aren't such methods used? i can only guess: lobbying by interested/connected parties.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Youre blardy right on!!!! Ware the fook is the TP when u need them? Go Tuas lah!!! Confirm can spot at least 7 out of 10 heavy vehicles speeding down the freeway. Confirm TP will be richer via fines imposed on these F1 wannabes. These blardy big vehicle drivers are fooking losers. If they bother to study harder, they would be an executive today, drawing a nice salary & sitting in a cosy room instead of sweating their balls off working graveyard shift as a lorry driver.

The TP will only appear in Tuas when there is a fatal accident, near to bonus time like in May, June, July, towards a certain new year & near Christmas...I have often joked with people I know, that they should organzie a heavy vehicle F1 race for those driving the 20ft, 40ft containers, the 10 tonners, the refuse trucks, the whatever heavy vehicles...on the straight roads of Tuas. Make it an Annual affair...

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
and charge a ticket price for spectatorship, neat!

SG pools open plate! HUAT AH!!!

That was what I was thinking, an alternative to the F1, the roads in Tuas is already Straight & long...can use them for drag races also...do it on a weekend.....

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i wasnt clear, my bad. the situation degenerated into pay-per-trip coz the early bunch of drivers were slacking too much.

of course pay-per-trip will encourage reckless driving, which can be mitigated by modern technology. why aren't such methods used? i can only guess: lobbying by interested/connected parties.

I have seen a what you call take, coupled to a 20ft or even 40ft containers, doing 100km per hour...scary! have even seen one with a 40ft container, doing a 3 point turn... that I salute!!

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have seen a what you call take, coupled to a 20ft or even 40ft containers, doing 100km per hour...scary! have even seen one with a 40ft container, doing a 3 point turn... that I salute!!

when i see optimus prime movers, i try to siam them by 1 lane at least. if they jame brake and jack knife, all 3 lanes will be fcuked!