• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chua Mui Hoong: Wooing for 2016 has started!

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Today, a fractious, querulous electorate is accustomed to throwing stones at just about everything the government does.

Liberal-minded Singaporeans will be disappointed that Mr Lee spoke about getting the politics right, but said nothing about political change. No concessions were made on issues liberals care about, such as internet and media freedom or giving more space to dissenting voices. Opposition supporters will will note that every sentence uttered by Mr Lee was predicated on the assumption that the PAP will remain the dominant party in Singapore.

Clearly, the wooing for 2016 starts now."

- Chua Mui Hoong

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

FOR the first time since the 2011 General Election, I got the sense yesterday that the Government is seizing back the political initiative.

After two years of relentless hammering from citizens on its immigration policy/population policy/elitist system/inability to listen/ad infinitum, it changed several key policies, like slowing down the influx of foreigners and speeding up the building of train networks and public housing flats. But it also appeared uncharacteristically diffident.

Yesterday, the Prime Minister delivered a remarkable speech that might be viewed by some as a new government agenda, a mid- term election pledge, or a lover's ardent promise of a fresh start.

It was Mr Lee Hsien Loong's 10th National Day Rally speech since he became Prime Minister in 2004 and his most assured. The venue was the Institute of Technical Education headquarters and College Central in Ang Mo Kio, a technical training institute for less academic students.

It was a good place to flesh out the new governing philosophy which can be summed up in a phrase: the shift is from a tight fist to a hand up - extending a helping hand to people in need.

For a long time, when anyone needed help, the welfare-allergic PAP has preached individual self- reliance; family support; the community's many helping hands. Only when all avenues have been exhausted, should people turn to the State. This "tough love" approach - some might say tough luck would sum it up better - meant a person could go bankrupt or an entire family lose their home when a breadwinner is out of work, falls very ill or goes to prison.

But the Government recognises that given the changes taking place in societies here and abroad, arising from technological change and globalisation, it can no longer be the helping hand of last resort, but must be proactive in offering citizens a hand up.

It is doing so by trying to level up the chances of poor children, via generous childcare subsidies so they can get ready to compete in school. More places in top schools will be kept for students who may not have top grades but excel in other areas, and students without connections to these schools.

The biggest proof of this new philosophy: MediShield will be revamped to cover everybody, including those with prior illnesses, and for life. Extending coverage to the most vulnerable - who have the biggest medical bills - means big jumps in premiums. Mr Lee pledged that the Government would pay premiums of those who can't afford it, thus removing a previously obdurate obstacle to expanding Shield coverage.

This is the biggest - and most welcome - change to MediShield since its inception in 1990. I, for one, had not expected the PAP to cross this ideological Rubicon so quickly.

Mr Lee summed up the shifts in his Government's approach thus: "One, to level up people; two, to share the risks, to make sure that whatever happens in life, you will not be alone. And three, to keep our system open, mobile so that if you have talent, you can rise."

This new government approach to policy, mid-term election pledge and lover's promise, all wrapped in one: You are not alone, the State (with all its resources) is by your side.

(Crucial proviso, which Mr Lee laid out: But the individual and the community must also step up.)

Fiscal conservatives will ask: Where's the money coming from?

Market believers will fret: Will this blunt the drive to excel?

Reassuringly, some things don't change: Fiscal sustainability remains a guiding principle. So MediShield "must break even"; Medisave can be used for more outpatient treatments, but contribution rates will have to rise. At some point, taxes will have to go up.

As for the drive to excel, meritocracy remains the organising principle of Singapore society. Academic standards remain rigorous. But whereas poor children might have been expected to run the schools race barefoot and on bread and plain water, (in a manner of speaking), now the Government will make sure they are properly shod and fed to compete against better-off peers. But they run the race on their own merit, with no handicap to aid their scores.

You can call it a move from competitive meritocracy to a more managed one, where effort goes to ensuring every generation gets a more equal chance to compete against those with accumulated wealth and privilege.

As in the past, ministers will flesh out details of the policy shifts in the next weeks.

But the outline of the new philosophy gleaned from Mr Lee's speech shows that the Government is now ready to chart a bold, new way forward. Mr Lee was right in calling his Government's policies not just plans, but acts of faith in Singapore. He spoke of a fresh start, and a new beginning.

But will Singaporeans buy that vision?

This is the second part of the equation, about which little can be predicted.

Today, a fractious, querulous electorate is accustomed to throwing stones at just about everything the Government does.

Liberal-minded Singaporeans will be disappointed that Mr Lee spoke about getting the politics right, but said nothing about political change. No concessions were made on issues liberals care about, such as Internet and media freedom or giving more space to dissenting voices. Opposition supporters will note that every sentence uttered by Mr Lee was predicated on the assumption that the PAP will remain the dominant party in Singapore.

As MP Yeo Guat Kwang reportedly did at an event with businessmen, the PAP is wooing voters with songs that have titles like: "Do You Know I Am Waiting For You?", and "I Am By Your Side".

Most pointedly: "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?"

That is the 2016 question. Clearly, the wooing starts now.

[email protected]

Last edited:

PrinceCharming

Alfrescian
Loyal

FOR the first time since the 2011 General Election, I got the sense yesterday that the Government is seizing back the political initiative.

After two years of relentless hammering from citizens on its immigration policy/population policy/elitist system/inability to listen/ad infinitum, it changed several key policies, like slowing down the influx of foreigners and speeding up the building of train networks and public housing flats.

If at the 2016 GE the opposition suffers a dip in support, it only has itself to blame. I don't understand why opposition Sinkies are so ready to offer their feedback 3 to 4 years ahead of the next GE.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't see pap changing much. The family still need to be near bankrupt before the govt will provide any help.

Voting in more opposition MP should tilt the govt policies in the right direction.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If at the 2016 GE the opposition suffers a dip in support, it only has itself to blame. I don't understand why opposition Sinkies are so ready to offer their feedback 3 to 4 years ahead of the next GE.

No issue. Vile pappies aren't interested or bothered with feedback.
I believe many sinkies tak boleh tahan already.
Pap is beyond hope or redemption....pushing sinkies to kick them out.

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

you are blind to what is happening on the ground
the support for pap is gaining greater momentum and with greater earnestness
pap will deliver what it has promised
the developments and the changes outlined by PM Lee will bring Singapore beyond 2016 and into 2030...and beyond
he has the foresight, the courage and the confidence to transform Singapore
he tackled the housing problem with great confidence'
he tackled the medical problem with great changes
he tackled the education system with great courage and optimism
he transformed the whole society and imbued it with more confidence, with more optimism and with more hope
he will lead Singapore into a new golden age, a new era of prosperity , a new age of stability and national unity
his speech is the best so far and he has regained what the pap has lost on the ground
ordinary singaporans are delighted at his generosity and his benevolence in trying to help them to be part owner of this island
every singaporean will have a flat - no one will be left behind
every child will be given all the opportunities to move forward
PM's speech instilled confidence, optimism and pride in all singaporeans
majulah PM Lee!!! majulah singapura!!!!

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

what many
only fools like you tak boleh tahan liao
at least 78% supported the government's grand design and scheme
the rest are just narong sarongs kelongs....all the phuacb gang and the dirty dozen...

wMulew

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't see pap changing much. The family still need to be near bankrupt before the govt will provide any help.

Voting in more opposition MP should tilt the govt policies in the right direction.

This is the type of dumbfuck opposition supporting retard mentality that will ruin the country one day. The government should step in to help if you are REALLY in trouble. If someone can happily survive just getting off worse than they used to, why should the government step in. Their job is to help those in trouble not wipe the backside of every lousy decision that every retard in the country makes.

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This is the type of dumbfuck opposition supporting retard mentality that will ruin the country one day. The government should step in to help if you are REALLY in trouble. If someone can happily survive just getting off worse than they used to, why should the government step in. Their job is to help those in trouble not wipe the backside of every lousy decision that every retard in the country makes.

i totally agree
every opportunity will be given to singaporeans to rise and to improve
and many have succeeded - the poor, the impoverished, the marginalized, the disadvantaged: all of them were given opportunities
to make it and to achieve their objective and fulfil their aspirations
this is a truly benevolent government....the safety nets are there and no one is left behind...unattended to and uncared for...

rotiprata

Alfrescian
Loyal
the opposition and no opposition can/will defeat the PAP bcos the rules on the ground are such...the PAP can lose 70% of the votes and yet win 70% of the seats......the PAP will self destroy itself; rajanatram had already forseen this in the 80s; only prob is mr lky refused to accept this fact

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal
you are blind to what is happening on the ground
the support for pap is gaining greater momentum and with greater earnestness
pap will deliver what it has promised
the developments and the changes outlined by PM Lee will bring Singapore beyond 2016 and into 2030...and beyond
he has the foresight, the courage and the confidence to transform Singapore
he tackled the housing problem with great confidence'
he tackled the medical problem with great changes
he tackled the education system with great courage and optimism
he transformed the whole society and imbued it with more confidence, with more optimism and with more hope
he will lead Singapore into a new golden age, a new era of prosperity , a new age of stability and national unity
his speech is the best so far and he has regained what the pap has lost on the ground
ordinary singaporans are delighted at his generosity and his benevolence in trying to help them to be part owner of this island
every singaporean will have a flat - no one will be left behind
every child will be given all the opportunities to move forward
PM's speech instilled confidence, optimism and pride in all singaporeans
majulah PM Lee!!! majulah singapura!!!!

But did he give credit to the originator of most of these ideas?

By Gerald Giam
19 August 2013 | 2,964 Reads | 9 Comments | Print Print | Email Email
I attended the Prime Minister’s National Day Rally 2013 at the ITE College Central campus last night. Many of the initiatives announced were ones that I could agree with and support — not least because some were what my colleagues and I in the Workers’ Party (WP) had been calling for in recent years.
In WP’s National Day Statement two years ago, titled “Honouring our First Generation”, we said:
The men and women in our pioneer generation have borne society’s burdens for the past 46 years and more. They gave the best years of their lives to our nation. Our nation must now give its best in return to them. Even as we strive for progress and economic efficiency, our nation has an obligation to help this generation of Singaporeans live their latter years in dignity, comfort and fulfilment; free from worry and fear for lack of provision.
In last night’s speech, the Straits Times reported:
(PM Lee) specifically singled out a group he called Singapore’s pioneer generation, whom he said had worked hard to build today’s Singapore…
These people, in their late 60s and above, and now mostly retired, said Mr Lee, and had “paved the way for us to live a better life than themselves”, and “had fewer safety nets”.
“We must take special care of this pioneer generation in their golden years,” he said.
During my maiden speech in Parliament in October 2011, I said:
…whether in healthcare, public housing or public transport, the Government has gone too far down the road of pursuing free market efficiency, often to the detriment of the elderly and low wage workers.
At a time when our citizens are exposed to heightened risks in the form of global competition, increased economic volatility, rising inequality and wage stagnation, the Government is exposing them to even more competition from foreigners. Our workers are told to be “cheaper, better, faster”, more self-reliant and less selective about their jobs.
This regressive transfer of risks from government to citizens must count as one of the PAP Government’s biggest policy failures in the last decade.
The demographic, social and economic changes of the 21st century demand a rethink of how much a government should provide for its people, and how much we can reasonably ask our citizens to provide for themselves.
PM Lee said in his speech:
…we must make a strategic shift in our approach to nation building. Individuals must still do their best, but the Community and Government must do more to reduce the pressures on individuals.
In my Budget Debate speech in Parliament in 2012, I had said:
Extending the maximum MediShield coverage age from 85 to 90 years old is a move in the right direction. However, would the Government consider removing the age limit completely? There are only about 9,000 Singaporeans aged above 90. Many of them would have outlived their own spouses, siblings or children, and may have no immediate relatives to care for them.
We should be doing all we can to help this small group of seniors who have worked tirelessly to build up Singapore to what it is today, instead of pulling the rug from under their feet when they need it the most.
PM said in his Rally speech:
Catastrophic illness insurance scheme MediShield is set for an overhaul. It will be “revamped” as MediShield Life, with its age ceiling of 90 years removed to provide lifelong coverage for all Singaporeans…
During the Committee of Supply debate in Parliament in March 2012, I said:
…some of those who need MediShield coverage the most, like babies with congenital problems and the very old, are often denied coverage.
MediShield currently covers 92% of Singaporeans. Those who are not covered include some of the elderly, homemakers, and others who have voluntarily opted out of MediShield. Some are not able to obtain MediShield coverage due to pre-existing conditions.
I would like to ask what the Ministry is doing to achieve a higher level of coverage for all Singaporeans? What is the Ministry’s targeted level of coverage of MediShield?
And the answer came during last night’s speech:
Elaborating on the changes, (PM Lee) said that universal coverage means there will be no more opting out, with everyone covered including the elderly and those with pre-existing illnesses.
Again on MediShield, I said during my Parliamentary speech in 2011:
If we are to achieve this goal (of universal health coverage), we need to expand the coverage of MediShield and reduce the over-reliance on direct payments by patients at the time they need the care. To fund this, we need to strengthen the current forms of prepayment and risk-pooling, and provide assistance to those who cannot afford the premiums, like housewives and the elderly. All this points to a need to perform some major surgery on MediShield.
And as announced last night:
But with better benefits and coverage, this will mean that premiums will go up, he said. “(It) has to be because it has to break even,” he said, but added that the Government will subsidise premiums for those who cannot afford them.
There were several other ideas that my other colleagues Lee Li Lian and Muhamad Faisal Manap had been calling for, including expanding the use of Medisave and allowing madrasah students to tap their Edusave accounts, which were taken up by the PM last night.
Overall, the changes made to hot-button issues of healthcare, education and housing appear promising, albeit incremental. I am glad to see that the Government is now showing a willingness to take on more of the risks and responsibilities that are rightly theirs — for example, a greater share of the healthcare burden — rather than continuing to transfer risks to individual Singaporeans and their households, as has been the trend for the previous decade or so.

spotter542

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i totally agree
every opportunity will be given to singaporeans to rise and to improve
and many have succeeded - the poor, the impoverished, the marginalized, the disadvantaged: all of them were given opportunities
to make it and to achieve their objective and fulfil their aspirations
this is a truly benevolent government....the safety nets are there and no one is left behind...unattended to and uncared for...

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
With a face like hers.....i think no takers...mission impossible

pls lah I think she has a very charming personality
narong pls lah you cant even measure up to her in anyway
cant even smell the sole of her beautiful foot....shame on you
her words are very powerful
her English command is very powerful
her style lagi powerful
her writing lagi super powerful
how can you compare with her - no fight lah
now go eat shit and eat joss sticks and lick the wax

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
When a old fellow is sick, this pap govt must see that all the kids to be either bankrupt or near bankrupt before lifting a finger to help.

On the other hand, the govt has numerous tentacles to squeeze the maximum out of every person and the money is funneled into GIC and temasick, both unaccountable to public. Not to mention free NS for citizens.

Pap demand that everyone sacrifice for the Leegime, but the country will let families deplete their savings for medical care.

If pap wants people to take care of themselves, then don't expect the people to do any favors for the country, such as NS.