• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

David Moyes' Manchester United reign starts with 1-0 defeat in Bangkok

StarshipTroopers

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

David Moyes' Manchester United reign starts with 1-0 defeat in Bangkok

• Singha All Star XI 1-0 Manchester United
• Teeratep Winothai 51

Jamie Jackson in Bangkok
The Observer, Saturday 13 July 2013 18.07 BST

Teeratep-Winothai-on-the--008.jpg

Teeratep Winothai on the ball, Singha All Star XI v Manchester United

Teeratep Winothai on the ball. The former Belgian second division player scored the only goal against Manchester United. Photograph: Chris Mcgrath/Getty Images

Teeratep Winothai: remember the name. He became the first scorer in the David Moyes Manchester United era but to the blushes of the new manager and players the winner came against them on 50 minutes, when Ben Amos was wrong-footed by the Singha All Star XI captain.

"It wasn't a brilliant result," Moyes said, "but I'm more pleased with the way they kept going. We gave one or two young players an opportunity. It was certainly a good fitness workout."

With his strike Winothai, a former Belgian second division footballer, joined John Aldridge and Neil Slatter in the footnotes of players who have handed defeats to United's past two managers in their first games, after Alex Ferguson's 1986 vintage went down 2-0 to Oxford at the Manor Ground in the opener to what proved to be 26-plus years of success.

Given that precedent, perhaps the question was the wrong way round when Moyes was asked if the defeat was a bad sign rather than a good one. "I hope not – if I'm going to lose any games I'm happy to lose these ones, that's for sure," he said.

United have lost these outings before – one came in a 2-1 reverse to Kansas City three years ago, and they lost a penalty shootout to Barcelona last August. Also, Moyes had to choose this inaugural XI from a depleted squad that was missing nine first-team players, but this is still not how he would have wanted his reign to begin.

Yet the Scot had a point when he said: "It's not one we desperately needed to win but it was a game we needed to get prepared for. In relative terms it's not of the biggest importance."

United's disjointed evening was summed up near the end when the misfiring Danny Welbeck produced a shot that wobbled past Narit Taweekul's right post as the striker fell over.

But at least by this juncture United had brightened, following the 63rd-minute introduction of Wilfried Zaha, Phil Jones and Jesse Lingard. Zaha, on his debut, went closest. A pivot on to his left was followed by a sweet swish of the boot that this time hit Taweekul's right upright before, later, Lingard scuffed a shot at the keeper.

Before the game Zaha had voiced his desire not to go out on loan again, after he was leased back to Crystal Palace for the second part of last season following his £15m move.The winger did those hopes no harm in his cameo but these are early days. "Wilfried did well, he gave us something," Moyes said. "We're short of forwards, we didn't have many options with Wayne [Rooney] injured, Robin [van Persie] joining up later, [Javier] Hernández not here and Will Keane being injured.

"He [Zaha] gave us a bit and was certainly unlucky not to score with that shot. We'll see how he does. It's the first chance I've had to see him up close. We'll see how we can fit him in as quick as we can."

Moyes's first act on game-day was to marshal a side from a depleted squad. Rooney's torn hamstring handed Welbeck a start at the head of United's familiar 4-2-3-1. Also on the absentee list were David de Gea and Antonio Valencia, who join up next week in Sydney following international commitments, plus Shinji Kagawa (Japan, in a fortnight), and the injured headed by the captain, Nemanja Vidic (sciatica), Nani (nose operation), Chris Smalling (foot) and Ashley Young (ankle rehabilitation).

All of this meant that the 18-year-old Adnan Januzaj stepped into Rooney's No10 berth to offer a promising display that faded after the break. "If he continues to play like that he'll get more chances," said Moyes.

The defeat came inside a 65,000 sell-out Rajamangala National Stadium that was a red wall of noise, making the experience feel like a political convention. It will have been a novel outing for Moyes. But he will not want too many repeats of the result. Or more injuries – Alexander Büttner limped off in the first half with a tight hamstring, Moyes confirmed.

StarshipTroopers

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/e4ftQtMlrfw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KG9vDX1Crfg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Premiership hasn't even started and we already have a Twitter account for Moyles to go? Don't think this is a true fan.
IIRC, SAF lost his first match to Oxford United as manager of Man Utd.

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Man U fighting for 3rd this season...............maximum

So generous? I think there's a good chance Man Utd drops out of top 4 this season.

Fighting with Arsenal for 4th position. :cool:

Other than the two strikers and Zaha and De Gea the goalkeeper, every other Man Utd player is shit.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
man u lose to thailand? What the bullshit is that?

Don't play play with Teeratep Winothai, okay! He came from the Everton and Crystal Palace academies. :wink:

If Man Utd wants a morale-boosting pre-season win, it should play against the S-League All-Stars. :biggrin:

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So generous? I think there's a good chance Man Utd drops out of top 4 this season.

Fighting with Arsenal for 4th position. :cool:

Other than the two strikers and Zaha and De Gea the goalkeeper, every other Man Utd player is shit.

DAVID MOYES has been told he can spend as much as he likes.

The new Manchester United boss has targeted both Gareth Bale and Cristiano Ronaldo — even though they would cost over £75million EACH.

Moyes declared: “Isn’t it great that the club says, ‘There’s no budget here, you go get who you want to get, just go and do it’.

"We are looking at the best players. I do think it’s important that we show people we are carrying on the traditions and trying to take the club forward.”

United’s current record fee is the £30.75m they paid Tottenham for Dimitar Berbatov in 2007.

Spurs wing wizard Bale, 23, and Real Madrid superstar Ronaldo, 28, would cost way over double that, though.

Asked about Bale and Ronaldo, Moyes said: “I will not name anybody but certainly we are always looking at the best players.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...yes-given-UNLIMITED-budget.html#ixzz2Z1QyLVCV

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Premiership hasn't even started and we already have a Twitter account for Moyles to go? Don't think this is a true fan.

they are right. Ah Moyes is not the right man for the job. the chinese saying - the short pain is better than the long pain. don't wait until the start of season. sack him now !

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
already I write off the nxt season which will see mourinho n chelsea crown champion. moyes wont last 3 seasons.

jw5

Loyal
So far moyes appears to be like a wide eyed mouse who is still fascinated that he has become the manager of such a big club.
He better start working fast in the transfer market and not rely on rooney to stay or his former everton players to come.
Every team has got some players in except Man Utd.
Zaha doesn' count as his transfer was secured by Fergie last season.
Oh, every team except Arse-nal. No surprises there either. :biggrin:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
still it is a disgrace for champion of EPL.

by the way, the european cup is now playing in europe? any sinkies still up to watch it live??
Dun people like boobs?

Don't play play with Teeratep Winothai, okay! He came from the Everton and Crystal Palace academies. :wink:

If Man Utd wants a morale-boosting pre-season win, it should play against the S-League All-Stars. :biggrin:

Someday

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Looks like Moyes is following the footsteps of Ferguson so supporters will have to be patient. :wink:

Sometime in 2011/12 i have told u guys and forummer Cruxx not to bet / bet heavily on International Friendlies and not to take these games seriously because minnows will be eager to impress. But if the favorite team is super good, they can play with one eye closed and the winning margin will be low. Whether kelong or not u won't know. I didn't know that there was this game going on. :biggrin:

article-2320230-19ACFD0A000005DC-879_634x390.jpg

Bad start: Ferguson watches his first United game, a defeat by Oxford in 1986

article-2320230-0005928D00000C1D-96_634x491.jpg

First of many: Ferguson cradles the FA Cup in 1990. He would get his hands on many more trophies...

Last edited:

Hamsik

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moyes praises Zaha after United defeat

By Gill Clark29

295499_heroa.jpg

Jul 13, 2013 11:55:00 PM

The Scot insisted he was not too disappointed to lose his first game in charge of the Premier League champions and is looking forward to seeing more of the winger in action

Manchester United manager David Moyes took time to praise new signing Wilfried Zaha after watching his side lose to a Singha All Stars XI in a pre-season friendly.

Zaha started the match on the bench but arrived in the second half and went close to scoring, hitting the woodwork as United lost 1-0 in Thailand.

Speaking after the game, Moyes praised the winger and said he was looking forward to seeing more of him in action.

"Wilfried did well and gave us something a little different. We were short of forwards tonight – we didn’t have many options with Wayne being injured, Robin only meeting up with us later, Chicharito not here and Will Keane being injured," he told the club’s official website.

"It just left us a little short of forward options tonight. But when Wilf came on he gave us a little bit and was certainly unlucky not to score with the chance he had.

"We’ll see how Wilfried does. We brought him here to give him a chance. It’s the first time I’ve worked with him, the first time I’ve really had the chance to see him up close, so he’ll certainly be part of the squad and we’ll see where we can fit him in."

Another youngster, Adnan Januzaj, also impressed for the Red Devils and Moyes said he was the best player on show for the Premier League champions.

"I thought Adnan played well tonight and was a plus for us. He was the pick of the group," he added.

"It’s always good when you give a young player a chance and he shows up, which I thought he did tonight. And the more he plays like that, the more opportunities he’s liable to get."

Despite losing his first game as manager of Manchester United, Moyes was not too downhearted and insisted there were plus points he could take from the game.

"If I’m going to lose any games I’m happy to lose these ones. It's pre-season," he said.

"We missed a couple of chances at the end which may well have got us something out of the game but the important thing is we got a few of the players through 90 minutes. It was a really good fitness workout – anyone who was watching tonight will tell you that, as it was very warm. So I was pleased with that.

"Overall I thought the fitness of the players was good and I'll take that as a positive."