• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anyone familiar with Carlton Area in Melbourne ?

SirRichard

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am moving Melbourne and was told that is a pretty good area to live in. Where is the location in the context of Singapore ? Near CBD ? How is the rental or property prices there ?

Thanks in advance for our contributions.

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Carlton is north of the CBD. Very close to Melbourne University where there's quite a number of Singaporeans studying.

Rental price - Close to CBD, Close to Uni, thus leading to higher prices.
For current rental price & property price, please do a search at www.realestate.com.au or www.domain.com.au

Pretty good area - Depends on what's your criteria of pretty good.
For students, yes its good for them as its close to the university.
For couple without kids working in the city, yes its good for them as its close to work and other amenities.

For me (couple with kids, not working in the city), No way I'll leave in Carlton or anywhere else close to the CBD.
1) Endless traffic and trams travelling along the roads.
2) Kids have not much place to run outdoors except the parks

I prefer the peace & quiet of the southeastern suburbs.. :smile:

I'm guessing you spoke to an Melb Uni Graduate..

Rafael Vandervaart

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am residing in Docklands and working in Altona.Morning time to work is about 12 mins but evening time to work can take up to 50 mins.so its very important to live near depends on where u work/study or know the traffice condition before renting..alot of old houses in Charlton and i find that area quite chaotic.
Provide more information so that more help can be given...
Cheers.

SirRichard

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am residing in Docklands and working in Altona.Morning time to work is about 12 mins but evening time to work can take up to 50 mins.so its very important to live near depends on where u work/study or know the traffice condition before renting..alot of old houses in Charlton and i find that area quite chaotic.
Provide more information so that more help can be given...
Cheers.

Guys, thanks for your input.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am moving Melbourne and was told that is a pretty good area to live in. Where is the location in the context of Singapore ? Near CBD ? How is the rental or property prices there ?

Thanks in advance for our contributions.

Did you know Carlton is zoned as public housing area? Unlike HDB, govt housing provides home to troubled youth, disabled, mental, AIDS and refugees... It is a place for druggies.. Graffiti everywhere.. Ya kids need to be kong fu master to survive there.. Try Docklands or Collingwood..

omnifly

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did you know Carlton is zoned as public housing area? Unlike HDB, govt housing provides home to troubled youth, disabled, mental, AIDS and refugees... It is a place for druggies.. Graffiti everywhere.. Ya kids need to be kong fu master to survive there.. Try Docklands or Collingwood..

Recently I saw this property called The ALTUS @ Docklands Melbourne, you may find it useful

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Thanks. I have already secured myself a place - 1/4 acre in inner East. Now enjoying good capital growth. Soon, I'll sell to live in a 500m2 hse in East and retire with few mil in my pockets :wink:

Wahhh bro axe168, your planning is solid! Better than me, buying powerball only when the pool is above 30 million :p

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wahhh bro axe168, your planning is solid! Better than me, buying powerball only when the pool is above 30 million :p

There are ppl getting their millions by inheritance, or by Powerball/Tattslotto but they lack the skills of growing their seeds. They either maintain their seeds or let it die overtime. The Art of Seeking Growth is not planted in everyone. No one can be a millionaire by knowing nothing. Best of luck bro !

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is an interesting piece of info. About public housing zoning in Melbourne. In perth i only know cheaper n expensive suburbs. Public housing is now scattered across most cheap suburbs. 1 public housing house in a street. No longer like in the past where they r concentrated all in a few suburb. It prevents them from ganging up. Of course cheaper suburbs r a magnet for the trailer park trash as tat is the only place they can afford. Some suburbs which r occupied by trailer park trash r also chasing them out due to redevelopment n the new developments become more expensive.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ahhhh.. now ya talking. Public Housing normally constructed on cheap land. Due to lack of budget, the govt is often looking for properties that could yield more housing - target about 20% for every suburb for public housing. They will avoid atas areas such as Toorak, Malvern, Kew or Balwyn - expensive and poor yield....

That is an interesting piece of info. About public housing zoning in Melbourne. In perth i only know cheaper n expensive suburbs. Public housing is now scattered across most cheap suburbs. 1 public housing house in a street. No longer like in the past where they r concentrated all in a few suburb. It prevents them from ganging up. Of course cheaper suburbs r a magnet for the trailer park trash as tat is the only place they can afford. Some suburbs which r occupied by trailer park trash r also chasing them out due to redevelopment n the new developments become more expensive.

Heavanel

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thought of moving there but no balls to start all over again in a foreign land.

Agreed is not easy in the beginning and need heaps of courage. Leaving family and friends...and most important nice food lol.
I don't remember where I got courage from years ago but it's really worth it.