• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

China's ugly Li Na is kicked out of Wimbledon by Agnieszka Radwanska

Anytime

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I don't support Serena Williams but this is in response to the other Wimbledon thread by God Is My Dog :biggrin:

Radwanska edges Li in Wimbledon quarter-final epic

AFP Updated July 3, 2013, 3:27 am

photo_1372780096262_1_0-18t60ms.jpg

LONDON (AFP) - Agnieszka Radwanska downed China's Li Na in an epic Wimbledon quarter-final on Tuesday between the highest seeds left standing.

The Polish fourth seed, beaten by Serena Williams in last year's final, defeated the sixth seed 7-6 (7/5), 4-6, 6-2 in a closely-fought two-hour, 43 minute contest on Centre Court.

It took Radwanska eight match points to see off the resilient Li, in an entertaining clash where the 24-year-old Pole just had the edge over the 2011 French Open champion.

Radwanska plays hard--hitting German 23rd seed Sabine Lisicki -- who beat defending champion Serena Williams in the fourth round -- in the semi-finals on Thursday, ensuring at least one player of Polish descent in Saturday's final.

"From the first point to the last point it was really great battle," Radwanska said after sealing her semi-final spot.

"She was really playing very well. So I'm double happy I could beat her playing very good tennis.

"I was really pushing myself, even 200 percent, to play till the end, fight till the end. Just very happy that I did it."

Li was content with the fight she put up.

"I had a pretty big chance in the first set, but I didn't hold. This is tennis," the 31-year-old said.

"But at least I was really proud of myself, because at least I was trying to come to the net.

"Every set's different. Coming to the final set of course, I think we had already played two hours. So, of course, we were both feeling tired on the court, but still fighting a lot. I never gave up."

With world number one Williams, Victoria Azarenka, Maria Sharapova and Sara Errani all out in the first week, Li and Radwanska were the highest-ranked players left.

In head to head matches between the pair, the Chinese was 6-4 ahead going into the match, and won their Australian Open quarter-final this year en route to losing in the final.

"I was just happy to get revenge," said Radwanska.

The contest was punctuated by lengthy rallies, with Radwanska throwing in her trademark array of deft lobs and soft drop shots that mark her out among the booming baseliners of the women's game.

In the first set, Li broke for a 5-4 lead and served for the set.

However, Radwanska was able to stave off set point four times. A Li ace on one of them was called out, though had she challenged, the Chinese would have taken the set.

Instead, Radwanska went on to break and took the tie-break.

Li broke to take the second set, after which Radwanska called for the trainer and had her right thigh heavily taped up, while Li studied her notes.

In the third set, Radwanska broke for a 2-0 lead before the rain came.

With the roof closed, the Pole broke once more for 4-1 and then held serve to leave Li on the brink.

The Chinese held off match point twice on her serve and won the game.

With Radwanska serving for the match, Li fashioned three break points but blew them all.

Li then managed to cling on repeatedly before her luck eventually ran out on Radwanska's eighth match point.

The Pole is the only player to have reached the quarter-finals of the first three majors of 2013.

In reaching the last-eight, Li had equalled her previous Wimbledon best, achieved in 2006 and 2010.

Last edited: