• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I hid fact that dad is millionaire -- and got over $10k in bursaries

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Today's confession features a student from the Singapore Management University (SMU) who 'hid' the fact that his father was a millionaire and received more than $10,000 worth of bursaries over four years.

Here is the confession in full:

"I'm a graduating student.

"For the past four years, I have received more than $10,000 worth of bursaries.

"My household income qualified for most of the bursaries as my father had retired and my mother was a housewife.

"However, my father is actually a retired businessman who owns several private properties with millions of dollars in his bank account.

"These information were not required in the bursary application process as the only document I have to produce was my parents' CPF statements, which showed zero contribution because they were retired.

"At that time, my monthly allowance was $1,500 per month.

"It was probably unethical for me to still receive bursaries even though I met all the stated requirements.

"Is this unethical or is it no more than doing the uncommon within the rules?

"Just Google 'loopholes in bursary application process'. Some anonymous guy from our school blogged about it."

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LKY's children all milk the system for scholarships.....
When OCBC scion TCH can milk government scholarship.....
No need feed shy...should feel proud.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LKY's children all milk the system for scholarships.....
When OCBC scion TCH can milk government scholarship.....
No need feed shy...should feel proud.

That is different, that is divine entitlement for they have the Mandate from _______, where you, common mortals does the same thing it is cheating..ahh! psst! Meritocracy whisper it loud, but whisper it soft.."marriedtocracy"...ha ha ha ha

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why would any Sporean complain about getting anything from the gov't:confused:

If you are one of the "lesser mortals"the gov't will get a return in some form or another e.g. NS, gst, CPF, high health care costs,.....

henrygoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Singapore just follow the rules. Let me give you an example of how stupid such rules are:
If you get a GP to refer you to a government hospital you will be treated as a private non-subsidised patient. At that point you may be earning well and can afford it.
However, later on as you get older and retire or become less less well off, you are not able to get yourself out of that status and continue to be a private patient with no subsidy.
They will not allow you to discharge and re-enter the health system without jumping through many hoops.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no common database to check these things. Malaysian high achievers have been known to get scholarship and bursary funds from Kuok foundation, Lee foundation, various Kongsis, PSC, mutual help societies on both sides of the causeway.

All these foundations are also not bothered who it goes to as along they are on the limelight about helping the needy. Defining the needy is a whole different matter.