• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Death of the Emigration Folder

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have been watching this Folder for sometime and it is not getting any better. No longer the interest in the past for various reasons. The thread title is to invoke a sense of urgency. Melodrama is one way to draw attention.

It not only emigration. A thread on retirement with running your business focus did not go far either as in the past. Used to quite a common topic as there are many who migrate when they retire. We used to dish our a lot of advice on 5 years renewal retirement visa.

I think Sam did explain that newbies who are driven by topical agenda of emigration are unable to raise question readily as the control for spams have an impact.

I am befuddled. Is the folder already dead or is someone going to kill it off? I mean, if the title is Death of the Emigration Folder, one assumes it is dead?

But it seems from the posts, nobody wants to see it die. So why talk about death?

It's been a useful folder, and I think it'll continue to be. So let's keep it alive.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
As for trades, I do not mind learning it. However, I do not that Australian TAFE and VET kept a very strict restriction on international students studying for those high value trades like Plumbing and Electrician. I did a fair bit of homework searching for these courses but they are all restricted to the citizens and PRs. Do point out to me if you happen to know any of these courses that is open to international students.

Bro, I shall share an unreliable lobang...

Previously, .....

Last edited:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Bro, I shall share an unreliable lobang...

Previously, there was a staff - a supervisor wanted to migrate to Australia. He had N level and no trades skill. Pointed him the direction to PUB/BCA of obtaining a plumbing cert. it took him 3-6mths, thereafter applied Oz application. 1st and 2nd attempt failed. He called for help. These were the info required when assessing the skill

Carefully engineer/make good your submission to suit your experience and tasks.

He is now happily in Adelaide/Perth.

If you find the above any good... Please buy me a kopi !

Thanks brother. Shall drop by BCA and have a look.

Wifey's new job in Singapore is confirmed. So I'll probably ended up in Perth instead of Melbourne if I chose the Study In Australia route. Easier to visit each other. Can't bear to ask her to give up her dream job without giving her to try it out. So I'll just have to go alone first :o

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Bro, Australia market no good, hence, chicken on sale.

Family wanted me to give up dealing with chicks.

Happy Ending shall end in due course :-(

So what's your next course of action? Remain in OZ and do something else?

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Thank you brother. The bold quote is exactly why this folder is precious. Almost every online articles mentioned about the lack of accounting qualifications in Australia. I had my doubts and it is good to know that you offer a different view.

As for trades, I do not mind learning it. However, I do not that Australian TAFE and VET kept a very strict restriction on international students studying for those high value trades like Plumbing and Electrician. I did a fair bit of homework searching for these courses but they are all restricted to the citizens and PRs. Do point out to me if you happen to know any of these courses that is open to international students.

Thank you in advance and happy weekend :smile:

There are a lot of migrants over here, doing something not related to their studies:

- Asian Migrants studying accounting, and not going into accounting route upon graduation. Many people like me did it for PR purposes.
- Indian Migrants studying IT, eventually a lot of them are going around driving cabs.

Anyway, I highly doubt they are going to remove accountants from the Occupations in Demand list, reason being the creative tax system that we have over here.

Melbourne is just 2 hours further than Perth.. not too far.. plus when you have kids in the future, time flies on the plane.
Used to be able to watch 2 and a half movies on the flight..now with kids its not even 1 movie.. sigh..

I reckon Perth is becoming more expensive due to the mining boom which has resulted in a lot of folks moving there from the rest of the states. Had a few friends who are in the engineering industry moved to Perth for work.

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
I felt that I have to say my piece. I came to this forum to search for info, ask for help while doing my research for my move. I have finally moved and am very grateful to Scroobal, Neddy & many others who have provided useful advice. I made quite a few friends here, some were all preparing to move. We initially shared information prior to the move and for those that moved earlier, helped those who moved later. There are also others whom I seek advice through this forum and they were already located here before I came over. We became friends when we moved here.

There are many people here who are very helpful but of course there are some who are not. I have proven Sam Leong's advice wrong - not to meet up with pple online..... I know, I took a risk and they turned out well for me so far.

what turns me off when reading this forum is people who moved always brag about how good they are doing and condemn pple back home in sgp. I don't feel that is right as every person/family has their own priorities. A good move is only when the place you go to suits your lifestyle and your long term goal.

Of course I will be willing to provide help if there is a need to but then I am learning myself. It is a journey indeed, a very unforgettable one.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
what turns me off when reading this forum is people who moved always brag about how good they are doing and condemn pple back home in sgp. I don't feel that is right as every person/family has their own priorities. A good move is only when the place you go to suits your lifestyle and your long term goal.

Of course I will be willing to provide help if there is a need to but then I am learning myself. It is a journey indeed, a very unforgettable one.

Thank you for your contribution brother. Mind sharing with us where you are and the initial difficulties you face? I totally agree with what you mentioned. We are all here to share. Not everyone has millionaire parents or are millionaires to migrate smoothly. Some of us go through the tough ways but succeeded eventually. Looking forward to your sharing. :smile:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
There are a lot of migrants over here, doing something not related to their studies:

- Asian Migrants studying accounting, and not going into accounting route upon graduation. Many people like me did it for PR purposes.
- Indian Migrants studying IT, eventually a lot of them are going around driving cabs.

Anyway, I highly doubt they are going to remove accountants from the Occupations in Demand list, reason being the creative tax system that we have over here.

Melbourne is just 2 hours further than Perth.. not too far.. plus when you have kids in the future, time flies on the plane.
Used to be able to watch 2 and a half movies on the flight..now with kids its not even 1 movie.. sigh..

I reckon Perth is becoming more expensive due to the mining boom which has resulted in a lot of folks moving there from the rest of the states. Had a few friends who are in the engineering industry moved to Perth for work.

Hi brother, hope all is well :smile:

I rather have 2 noisy kids at home rather than a quiet house. My wife and I love children but we are childless. Sometimes life is like this. When we were not ready, they came. When we are ready and eager, they just would not come :o

The reason why I'm starting to consider about Perth is because its nearer to home and cheaper to fly also. I am not rich and if I can save here and there, I would. I am glad my wife found a new job. The new jobs pays an extra 50% of her current salary. If I were to go to study in Australia, both of us have to work there(if she follows me there) Now that she has found a job that she likes, most likely she will stay behind to work and I will go alone. I have plans to rent out a room to tertiary students so that my wife gets some companion at home. The extra $500-$700 monthly rental income helps too. With her new job, my wife can saves about 2.5k a month and with the rental income, a neat total of 3k SGD. This amount will save me the trouble of overworking myself in Australia :biggrin:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
We are all here to share. Not everyone has millionaire parents or are millionaires to migrate smoothly. Some of us go through the tough ways but succeeded eventually. Looking forward to your sharing. :smile:

Dude, watch out what you wish for.. most migrants came here with poor mentality, hence heading for disaster. I've seen heaps of Singaporeans mixing with each other over here still sharing the same HDB mentality. I have yet to see a real bloke telling me the Aussie perspectives..

Good luck !

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Dude, watch out what you wish for.. most migrants came here with poor mentality, hence heading for disaster. I've seen heaps of Singaporeans mixing with each other over here still sharing the same HDB mentality. I have yet to see a real bloke telling me the Aussie perspectives..

Good luck !

I would certainly not mix with Sinkies. Most likely PRC chicks :biggrin:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
While googling for courses at BCA as suggested by Axe168, this is what I found. This country is fucked up. Singaporeans pay the same fees as foreigners :rolleyes:

hib4WWy.jpg

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would certainly not mix with Sinkies. Most likely PRC chicks :biggrin:

Ahh.. if you mix with them, ya lobang shall be many-many. Once these ppl have their goal set, they'll go all the way to reach their target regardless whatever the circumstances.

Sinkies on the other hand, are likely to spend huge time and resources searching for "rules" or "laws" to deter them from moving ahead. Recently, came across a sinkie (trying to learn the PAP way) trying to set a code-of-conduct in the social media... no criticism or negative feedback.. only positive comments are allowed. My toes laughed. lol !!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
There are many people here who are very helpful but of course there are some who are not. I have proven Sam Leong's advice wrong - not to meet up with pple online..... I know, I took a risk and they turned out well for me so far.

You have not proven my advice to be wrong. I'm merely urging everyone to minimise their risks. Unless there is an absolute need to meet, it would be best not to do so especially if you have revealed things about your private life on the internet which you would prefer not to reveal in the real world.

Things may have turned out well for you but there are many instances where this has not been the case.

I have many friends in Auckland. The subject of sammyboy.com has cropped up on numerous occasions. I reveal nothing. My lips are sealed. It would be so easy for me to say "I run that site.. been doing so for the last 13 years". However, I would have absolutely nothing to gain whatsoever from owning up. This is what I mean by keeping real life and cyberlife strictly separate.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
how can you do well when you spent half of your life starring at rotating ceiling fan..... hahaha

Good luck !

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
agree. Sinkie are selfish people and talk only about $$$. Sinkies do not have good social communication skill and relationship.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have not proven my advice to be wrong. I'm merely urging everyone to minimise their risks. Unless there is an absolute need to meet, it would be best not to do so especially if you have revealed things about your private life on the internet which you would prefer not to reveal in the real world.

Things may have turned out well for you but there are many instances where this has not been the case.

I have many friends in Auckland. The subject of sammyboy.com has cropped up on numerous occasions. I reveal nothing. My lips are sealed. It would be so easy for me to say "I run that site.. been doing so for the last 13 years". However, I would have absolutely nothing to gain whatsoever from owning up. This is what I mean by keeping real life and cyberlife strictly separate.

LOL... I totally agree with you about that. I also used to run a somewhat controversial site when I was in Singapore. Got a few angry responses online; but I always maintained my anonymity. In fact, I was interviewed on a couple of TV news programs - I just did the anonymous inteviewee thingie to answer the questions, but never revealed my identity.