• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Death of the Emigration Folder

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It used to be a busy folder with a fair amount of activity on a daily basis. The usual topics were ;

1) How to migrate (obvious)
2) Share the challenges and experience of migrating and starting a new life
3) Which suburb for homes and schools
4) Job opportunities
5) Work practices
6) Business opportunities
7) Gardening and landscaping
8) Retirement

Countries of focus
1) Australia
2) New Zealand
3) Canada
4) USA

I saw the Raiders' query where he did a fair bit of research and was seeking help and advice. Except for one decent response, no thing else. I never thought I see the day when the fire went out.

So what went wrong with this folder?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I missed that one.

I do agree that information is more readily available and that migration agents and their advertisements are now allowed in Singapore but I cannot find another forum that has taken up the slack for SIngaporeans in this area.

Migration is a great unknown and to many can be a gamble and these factors drove lot of queries. I wonder if the things like FB and other new media channels have provided the information.

Also noticed that people who made the move are no longer as helpful as in the past.

Quite a mystery.

Questions go unanswered so other members lose interest?

http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread....HDB-Flats-and-Migration&p=1514642#post1514642

My guess is that there is a already a ton of information out there which can be googled. In the early days, it was a different story.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I feel that those who made it are reluctant to share. It might not be their fault as they might have been put off by earlier events when they tried but got flamed. Or it could be simply a case of no interest.

When I asked questions here, I hope to get the general feeling of the folks who are already there and not those standard questions and answers that can be found on the Internet. It is true that the Internet gives plenty of information but I feel that it lacks the "human touch"

Neddy and Valiant had been very helpful in providing me their views and that was what I needed. Thank you brothers :smile:

I'm still deliberating which one to choose. Diploma in accounting which I will finish off with a degree so as to make my PR application easier but not my cup of tea? Or Doploma in Passteire, finish off with a general degree but I might run into difficulties for my PR application later on.

please note that by choosing the accounting route(if I were to choose it), I will not be aiming to do my CPA. I'll just end it with an accounting degree to make my PR application easier. After which I intend to do some small businesses there when I get the PR. I have no 2 or 5 million now to get the investor visa :biggrin:

I have set Januaury 2014 to start my course.

Your views please folks.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was watching for replies when you first posted. Noted only Valiant and Neddy. I was quite surprised as well. In the past, there will be lots of replies and people were prepared to share. I even know one case where a lady asked for sponsor and she got it from this forum within days from the forum. Sharing was common

We did have a destructive troll in the past that chased away a lot of regulars in this forum but I was still expecting something more encouraging. The guy was targeting Australia and that is why the Canadians are little more participative in recent years.

I am speculating but it could be Facebook, and other online apps that have captured their attention.

I feel that those who made it are reluctant to share. It might not be their fault as they might have been put off by earlier events when they tried but got flamed. Or it could be simply a case of no interest.

When I asked questions here, I hope to get the general feeling of the folks who are already there and not those standard questions and answers that can be found on the Internet. It is true that the Internet gives plenty of information but I feel that it lacks the "human touch"

Neddy and Valiant had been very helpful in providing me their views and that was what I needed. Thank you brothers :smile:

I'm still deliberating which one to choose. Diploma in accounting which I will finish off with a degree so as to make my PR application easier but not my cup of tea? Or Doploma in Passteire, finish off with a general degree but I might run into difficulties for my PR application later on.

please note that by choosing the accounting route(if I were to choose it), I will not be aiming to do my CPA. I'll just end it with an accounting degree to make my PR application easier. After which I intend to do some small businesses there when I get the PR. I have no 2 or 5 million now to get the investor visa :biggrin:

Your views please folks.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I came to this forum just for the emigration folder initially, with the same intend you outlined. The troll was devastating but that has been under control. Initially, I'll provide what I know, then there was lesser and lesser replies to the folder. Work and family commitment hasn't allowed me to come in here as often.

I was watching for replies when you first posted. Noted only Valiant and Neddy. I was quite surprised as well. In the past, there will be lots of replies and people were prepared to share. I even know one case where a lady asked for sponsor and she got it from this forum within days from the forum. Sharing was common

We did have a destructive troll in the past that chased away a lot of regulars in this forum but I was still expecting something more encouraging. The guy was targeting Australia and that is why the Canadians are little more participative in recent years.

I am speculating but it could be Facebook, and other online apps that have captured their attention.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are among the few that kept this folder going together with the Canadians. When I was Mod, every morning my routine was to delete the trolls postings and I counted that he had over 12 nicks.

I came to this forum just for the emigration folder initially, with the same intend you outlined. The troll was devastating but that has been under control. Initially, I'll provide what I know, then there was lesser and lesser replies to the folder. Work and family commitment hasn't allowed me to come in here as often.

Tuapehkong

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are among the few that kept this folder going together with the Canadians. When I was Mod, every morning my routine was to delete the trolls postings and I counted that he had over 12 nicks.

Pls dun lose heart. As long as there is some interesting topic, it will revive again. Or maybe nowadays, the life is too good in Singapore and ppl want to stay. That is just my thought.
I have got a lot of motivation myself from this forum on migration and I must thank you guys for the generousity especially Axe, Sam and Scoobal.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

One of the problems that I have created for my own forum is that it is now very difficult to register a nick to ask a question.

The security question requires an intimate knowledge of Singapore politics. General knowledge questions are easily defeated by the bots and I get a ton of spam bots. The worst day was when 995 registered in 24 hours.

The current security question is "What is LHL's favorite colour". It killed the spam bot registrations immediately. The problem is that there are many sinkies who don't know either. I get daily emails asking me what the answer is and I'm wary of whether it's a spam bot operator or a genuine sinkie. Some don't even know what "LHL" is.

I'll have to make is slightly easier to get a better balance.

However to be honest, I'm really quite satisfied with the traffic now. I've mentioned this many times and although some don't believe me, this forum was never meant to be a commercial success. It's my hobby forum. I use it for entertainment and to mess around a bit with scripts and sinkie minds. :p

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of the problems that I have created for my own forum is that it is now very difficult to register a nick to ask a question.

The security question requires an intimate knowledge of Singapore politics. General knowledge questions are easily defeated by the bots and I get a ton of spam bots. The worst day was when 995 registered in 24 hours.

The current security question is "What is LHL's favorite colour". It killed the spam bot registrations immediately. The problem is that there are many sinkies who don't know teither. I get daily emails asking me what the answer is and I'm wary of whether it's a spam bot operator or a genuine sinkie. Some don't even know what "LHL" is.

However to be honest, I'm really quite satisfied with the traffic now. I've mentioned this many times and although some don't believe me, this forum was never meant to be a commercial success. It's my hobby forum. I use it for entertainment and to mess around a bit with scripts and sinkie minds. :p

Perhaps you can have multiple questions instead of just one? best of 5? best of 9? Or a rotating number of questions that are still Singapore focused?

You do have a quirky sense of humour at times. I seldom meet people of your calibre online or in real life.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have successfully migrated, and received quite a bit of advice from peeps in this forum, incl Scroo, Sam, Neddy and others. I am always ready to share info, and have done so where I have seen relevant questions posted.

I guess I am still gathering more experience living here before I can share even more, like how Neddy does.

As for advice to those seeking help - I only have my limited experience to talk about. The only thing is that I don't really look thru the emigration folder everyday, unless I see some has submitted a new post there.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I have successfully migrated, and received quite a bit of advice from peeps in this forum, incl Scroo, Sam, Neddy and others. I am always ready to share info, and have done so where I have seen relevant questions posted.

I guess I am still gathering more experience living here before I can share even more, like how Neddy does.

As for advice to those seeking help - I only have my limited experience to talk about. The only thing is that I don't really look thru the emigration folder everyday, unless I see some has submitted a new post there.

Where did you needed up at brother?

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Your kind of question is hard to answer as its a personal choice. All this is up to u,,,and now, there is a surplus of accounting grads...what is good today.. will change in a few years,,u might take 3 years to get the degree,,who know what the market will be..? so how to give u advice? One thing oz confirm will need is tradies,,like electricians, etc...u willing to do that? and heard there is alot of hoops to run to if u are a foreigner..u soo hard up to come to Oz,,come by boat,,sure can get in wan,,,with the slow down,,I am not even sure hot things like civil engineers will still be in demand...

just my 2 cents

Your views please folks.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tuapehkong / Zorro

Thanks for the encouraging posts. I now feel a lot more encouraged. By coincidence met a white South African today and out of the blue he mentioned that he was trying to emigrate to Australia and has found it quite tough. He said that it has his wife and his dream.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sam

Let me say this. Your forum has made a tremendous amount of difference to many people over 14 years in the field of emigration. It changed their lives. In the early years I found it odd that it was the only forum that had a dedicated folder on emigration and it was helluva busy everyday. The questions were fast and furious and the replies from so many quarters were just as intensive.

I also remember that in the early years occasionally someone will ask if it was safe to ask about emigration. At that time the Govt will not allow the local media to carry adverts on Migration. I remember someone posted about a migration agent who made clandestine regular visits to Singapore as a tourist, stayed in a Bencoolen hotel and held interviews in his bedroom. In those days it seems it costs just $200 to gauge your potential. And then processing fees that went into couple of thousands.

When I was a mod, I realised the challenge of handling trolls, arseholes and keeping the balance. So goes the game.

The current security question is "What is LHL's favorite colour". It killed the spam bot registrations immediately. The problem is that there are many sinkies who don't know either. I get daily emails asking me what the answer is and I'm wary of whether it's a spam bot operator or a genuine sinkie. Some don't even know what "LHL" is.

Last edited:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am befuddled. Is the folder already dead or is someone going to kill it off? I mean, if the title is Death of the Emigration Folder, one assumes it is dead?

But it seems from the posts, nobody wants to see it die. So why talk about death?

It's been a useful folder, and I think it'll continue to be. So let's keep it alive.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I am befuddled. Is the folder already dead or is someone going to kill it off? I mean, if the title is Death of the Emigration Folder, one assumes it is dead?

But it seems from the posts, nobody wants to see it die. So why talk about death?

It's been a useful folder, and I think it'll continue to be. So let's keep it alive.

It's simply a melodramatic way of saying that contributions have dropped significantly. :biggrin:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Watzup ! You guys scare the hell of me.. I thought Emigration really dead, hehe.

I started talking cock in Sammy since 2002. Took a one-way ticket in 2004.
As a qualified half-baked successful migrant, I have a message for the newbies :

Rule number 1 : Watch ceiling fan for 2 hrs for 6mths.
Rule number 2 : If you failed in doing whatever you are doing.. GO to Rule number 1 :biggrin:

Last edited:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Your kind of question is hard to answer as its a personal choice. All this is up to u,,,and now, there is a surplus of accounting grads...what is good today.. will change in a few years,,u might take 3 years to get the degree,,who know what the market will be..? so how to give u advice? One thing oz confirm will need is tradies,,like electricians, etc...u willing to do that? and heard there is alot of hoops to run to if u are a foreigner..u soo hard up to come to Oz,,come by boat,,sure can get in wan,,,with the slow down,,I am not even sure hot things like civil engineers will still be in demand...

just my 2 cents

Thank you brother. The bold quote is exactly why this folder is precious. Almost every online articles mentioned about the lack of accounting qualifications in Australia. I had my doubts and it is good to know that you offer a different view.

As for trades, I do not mind learning it. However, I do not that Australian TAFE and VET kept a very strict restriction on international students studying for those high value trades like Plumbing and Electrician. I did a fair bit of homework searching for these courses but they are all restricted to the citizens and PRs. Do point out to me if you happen to know any of these courses that is open to international students.

Thank you in advance and happy weekend :smile:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Watzup ! You guys scare the hell of me.. I thought Emigration really dead, hehe.

I started talking cock in Sammy since 2002. Took a one-way ticket in 2004.
As a qualified half-baked successful migrant, I have a message for the newbies :

Rule number 1 : Watch ceiling fan for 2 hrs for 6mths.
Rule number 2 : If you failed in doing whatever you are doing.. GO to Rule number 1 :biggrin:

You still selling chicken in Australia? :biggrin: