• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Thinking of giving up Singapore citizen.

viper2008sg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Should I give up my citizenship?
Currently, I spend most of my time in Vietnam,
and will be marrying my long time Vietnamese gf this year.
Singapore lifestyle is too hectic, boring and too expensive.
Over in Vietnam, life is so much easier.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Siao ah ! I am thinking of reinstating back my pink IC and you choose to give up ?

Singapore is going to be the land of millionaires.. obviously you can milk from them ?

Currently, I spend most of my time in Vietnam,
and will be marrying my long time Vietnamese gf this year.
Singapore lifestyle is too hectic, boring and too expensive.
Over in Vietnam, life is so much easier.

viper2008sg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, you are right that Singapore is going to be the land of millionaires, but the class gap is widening, plus with so many FT coming in to Singapore,
I believe many people are getting very uncomfortable. Every time, when I am back to Singapore, I just feel don't have the homely feeling.
Also for the average Singaporean, we probably will not have chance to see or enjoy our CPF for the hard work we had put in in the past.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is there a reason to give up Singapore citizenship over lifestyle difference?

No country is the same over time, just look at what happened to western countries, incl. OZ & NZ.

Do you think that in 10 years time, Vietnam life will still be the same?

Last edited:

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

In the Vietnamese context, if you walk around each day with an ass (donkey) carrying a sackful of gold ingots as spare change, then by all means, SG citizenship can give up now and you will still be able to come back as an FT later.

Not to come across as insulting with the above statement, but if you did that it could only mean that you have:

1) Power: Because no one dares to laugh at your assload full of gold
2) Influence: Anyone that dared to touch your ass would be dead before the day was over.
3) Wealth: Gold as spare change...omg!
4) Gold itself: Just about buys you anything (and anyone) in Vietnam next to the USD.

Last edited:

Lambo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Forget about dual nationality..Singapore doesn't allow that. You can only choose one. Don't quite understand when other countries like UK, US, Japan, Korea, all allow for dual citizenship. I think the gahmen must reconsider their policy on this if not they will stand to lose more of their own people..

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't quite understand when other countries like UK, US, Japan, Korea, all allow for dual citizenship. I think the gahmen must reconsider their policy on this if not they will stand to lose more of their own people..

If the country sucks, the citizens will still walk or swim away, multiple nationality or now.

The idea of national sovereignty only emerge in the late 16th century and citizenship and passport to travel emerge much later.

With all the human mobility around us; with money & power no longer in the hands of monarchy; with leadership failures around the world, the idea of nationality restriction are becoming out of date today.

Eg see how many countries allow foreigners to reside long-term?
Think Singapore. :biggrin:

Anyone noticed how many dual nationalities are among the delegates at the current meeting of China’s People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC)

maozedong

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's a silly statement. First of all, how can anybody "notice" delegates with dual citizenship in the CPPCC? Second, China does not allow dual citizenship, and they are probably very strict about it especially if you are a senior CCP member. Also, the CCP is very good at digging up people's secrets even overseas secrets. Witness all the recent reports about the Chinese military hacking into US entities.

The record of having the most dual citizenship politicians probably goes to Philippines. Probably the majority of senators and representatives in the Philippines congress have a second citizenship.
Taiwan is another nearby country which allows dual citizenship ...

Anyone noticed how many dual nationalities are among the delegates at the current meeting of China’s People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC)

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
U siao ah!!!! Id like 2 c u squeeze with 6.9m pop cum 2030. :eek::eek::eek:

Hehe.. Bro, I wont be getting that squeeze lah. Sg shall be my 'holiday' home. When ppl squeeze, I'm still on my bed Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....zzzzz....zz... During off peak, I shall get up and enjoy my cheap kopi :-) Only get to stay Sg 3mths per year, so who cares...

10.9mil lagi shiok ! haha

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's a silly statement. First of all, how can anybody "notice" delegates with dual citizenship in the CPPCC? Second, China does not allow dual citizenship, and they are probably very strict about it especially if you are a senior CCP member. Also, the CCP is very good at digging up people's secrets even overseas secrets. Witness all the recent reports about the Chinese military hacking into US entities.

The record of having the most dual citizenship politicians probably goes to Philippines. Probably the majority of senators and representatives in the Philippines congress have a second citizenship.
Taiwan is another nearby country which allows dual citizenship ...

"notice" is my use of figure of speech. :biggrin:

There are a lot of dirt on senior CCP members, from corruption to dual nationality. But nobody want to steer up trouble unless something happen.

Case #1

See what powerful Bo Xalai faction members did to Wen Jiabao through NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/10/25/business/the-wen-family-empire.html?ref=global

Case #2

You may have read this.

Tycoon Quits CPPCC Post After Dual Passport Flap

One of China’s most successful restaurateurs is giving up her membership in a prestigious political body after she was discovered to be holding a non-Chinese passport.

Zhang Lan, founder and chairwoman of Beijing’s South Beauty Sichuan restaurant chain, was revealed to have a foreign passport during a hearing on a lawsuit in which she is a party. The revelation was greeted by calls for a boycott of her restaurants. Her new nationality has not been made public.

Because China doesn’t allow dual-citizenships, Zhang renounced her Chinese citizenship and had her hukou (household registration) canceled on September 17. She also recently submitted a written application to relinquish her membership of the Beijing Chaoyang District Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference, the committee’s vice chairman told Xinhua Wednesday.

Zhang was ranked 589th in the Hurun China Rich List with an estimated net worth of 3.1 billion yuan ($490 million) as of 2011.

Zhang’s foreign citizenship isn’t unusual among wealthy Chinese. Nearly half (46%) of Chinese with assets worth more than 10 million yuan ($1.6 million) were considering moving abroad, while 14% had already begun the process, according to a recent report by Hurun and the Bank of China.

The US and Canada were the most popular destinations, offering escape from China’s rigid education system, pollution, rising living costs and widespread corruption — the top motives for emigrating, according to the Hurun survey.

Wealthy emigrants typically avail themselves of investment immigration provisions in which legal residence leading to citizenship can be had for substantial business or property investments. The US grants investment visas for $1 million investments or a $500,000 investment that creates at least 10 jobs in distressed areas.

“I will be loyal to my country because I’m a Chinese,” Zhang was quoted as saying in a TV interview.

Most cynical Chinese have shrugged off Zhang’s change of citizenship as simply a routine practice among China’s corrupt officials and wealthy businesspeople.

Chinese underground activists news

中共将“全国政协代表76.77%、人大代表57.47%有外国护照”内幕外泄列为“311要案”
北京消息人士透露中纪委调查报告“全国政协代表76.77%、人大代表57.47%有外国护照”的惊人内幕之后,已有三名无辜者因被怀疑泄密惨遭中共拘捕和酷刑。为此,北京消息人士进一步透露调查报告的内情,表示抗议。 (博讯 boxun.com)

中纪委调查报告“全国政协代表76.77%、人大代表57.47%有外国护照”曝光之后,立即引起巨大社会反响。截至目前,网络上的转贴数量已超过七千多次,网民一片怒骂,某些两会代表极为不满,专门写信给中共高层,要求严惩。使得中共高层极度震怒,多名要员严令中纪委与国安等部门一定要在三天之内破案,“并严惩泄密者”。为此,相关部门于3月12日此事件列为“311要案”,并抽调大批人力,对该调查报告的参与者及阅览过这一调查报告的全部工作人员,一一严重警告,要他们坦白从宽,并采取文革方式进行严查。昨日下午,三名无辜者更是因此失去惨遭拘捕和酷刑,其中一名女性,是在上个星期天(10日)才生下一个孩子的年轻母亲。有消息称,办案者不仅打了该身体极度虚弱的女士数十下耳光,还从其怀中抢走婴儿,以三天不允许她继续喂奶相威胁,要她承认就是泄密者。

为抗议中共高层这种法西斯方式掩盖事实的做法,北京消息人士非常愤怒,再次透露更进一步的惊人消息。他指出:目前政协及人大代表的犯罪率至少高于民众28.4931倍!他说,现在媒体根据公开的资料统计,本届全国人大代表2977人,因违法违纪犯罪被罢免的有26人,因此计算出两会代表的犯罪率高达到0.87%,为同期大陆居民犯罪率的5.4375倍。其实媒体所获得的信息只是冰山一角而已。他指出,根据中纪委的秘密数据,在2011年,仅仅被查实犯罪却因高层下令不得查处的政协代表207人、人大代表136人,因此仅仅人大代表的犯罪率已是普通民众的28.4931倍。至于尚未被查实的情况就更多了!据信访部门的不完全统计,在访民所投诉的问题中所涉及到的人大代表就有2446人,可是访民的投诉检举揭发基本无效,因为只有极少数被检举的人大代表被查。

北京消息人士还就政协发言人赵启正近日专门出面否认政协代表有外国国籍一事指出,赵启正是奉命行事。但赵启正还算是一个相对的清官,他非常聪明地说,政协代表没有外国护照是他的调查结果,他的调查结果并不包括未查到的情况。而事实上赵启正根本没有权调查绝大多数的政协代表。他也私下表示,调查政协代表是需要权力的,他根本没有调查权。所以他所做的调查也就是“根本没有调查的调查”。另外,无论是政协代表还是人大代表,在绝大多数情况下都不是以真名,而是以假名。例如原沈阳市副市长马向东就是以其它名字持有外国护照的。在这样的情况下,他又怎么可能调查出实际情况?

北京消息人士最后严重警告,中共当局必须立即释放“311要案”的无辜者,更不要再用法西斯方式迫害其他无辜人士,否则将会进一步公开其它相关报告,其中包括中共高层对王立军出逃美领馆事件的详细批示以及其它更为惊人的秘密报告内容

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

High level corruption in China, after all, is hardly new.

Lin Yutang, for one, wrote, “In China, though a man may be arrested for stealing a purse, he is not arrested for stealing the national treasury.”
He wrote that observation in 1935.

Today, we see China has a bigger property bubble than Japan in the 80s. After 5 years of trying to control the overheated property market, it is still struggling. This is despite the govt complete control over tax and lending policies.

OK, I will not sidetrack into the black lending market.

FAIL!
When such an obvious inbalance to the economy is left to festering for so long, we know that there is political paralysis somewhere. We know the cause. There are a lot of bright people who can solve problems, but provided the closet does not contain things that cannot be seen in the public. :biggrin:

Hard to see how China can reform itself in a changed 2012.

The wheels of reform grind exceedingly slow .........

Breakup first, then debts for Ministry of Railways reform
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2013-03/11/c_124444698.htm

Last edited:

maozedong

Alfrescian
Loyal
You contradicted yourself with these examples.

These examples show that China does not allow dual citizenship and they do enforce it. It is definitely not something they openly tolerate - unlike the Philippines. In Philippines, it is legal for congressmen to have dual citizenship. Probably likewise for Taiwan - although if you are exposed, you will find it hard to win elections.

Of course, even if the CCP members in China do not have dual citizenship, you can bet that many of them have relatives with dual citizenship, ready to bail them out at the first sign of trouble. China is corrupt to the core.

Of course, if you are a nobody in China, they probably don't care so much. But if you are somebody big in the Party, you are bound to belong to some faction, and thus will have enemies within the party, and if you are not careful (like Bo Xilai), they will dig up all your secrets and use them against you.

"notice" is my use of figure of speech. :biggrin:

There are a lot of dirt on senior CCP members, from corruption to dual nationality. But nobody want to steer up trouble unless something happen.

Case #1

See what powerful Bo Xalai faction members did to Wen Jiabao through NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/10/25/business/the-wen-family-empire.html?ref=global

Case #2

You may have read this.

Tycoon Quits CPPCC Post After Dual Passport Flap

One of China’s most successful restaurateurs is giving up her membership in a prestigious political body after she was discovered to be holding a non-Chinese passport.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks, you clean my point.:biggrin:
I assumed that everyone know that China does not allow dual citizenship.

Of course, even if the CCP members in China do not have dual citizenship, you can bet that many of them have relatives with dual citizenship, ready to bail them out at the first sign of trouble. China is corrupt to the core.

Of course, if you are a nobody in China, they probably don't care so much. But if you are somebody big in the Party, you are bound to belong to some faction, and thus will have enemies within the party, and if you are not careful (like Bo Xilai), they will dig up all your secrets and use them against you.

But the point about Bo is that people at the top know about his abuse of power & his revival of red culture. But they cant do anything until a foreigner is involved, and a murder case too!

"Noticed" that the CCP can't do much with Bo. He know too much.

Australia is helping to bail out Chinese with a visa to attract millionnaires. To make sure that it is for Chinese, they even give it auspicious numbers.

Significant Investor subclasses 188/888 visa

88 :biggrin: 88

Last edited:

maozedong

Alfrescian
Loyal
They couldn't do too much about Bo at first because everybody was corrupt and Bo had his own faction. If you expose me, I expose you. Stalemate.

But once Bo's, or rather his wife's, crimes were exposed, he became a liability to the party. But to date, they haven't formally charged Bo Xilai. They are probably in a quandary. Because Bo was so senior, if they bring very serious corruption charges, that doesn't reflect well on the party. They could possibly only charge him with obstruction of justice with regards to his wife's crimes and some minor corruption offenses - but that would not be creditable.

My point is Dual Citizenship isn't allowed in China, and they do enforce it. It isn't something they openly tolerate.

Also, how were the underground news activists able to get such accurate figures on the % of dual citizenship CCPPC members? A leak from a government study? Well, if it was a government study, that means somebody at the very top was concerned - and it's a good sign that they did such a study.

You should use the Philippines as an example of a government made up of dual citizens instead of China.

Thanks, you clean my point.:biggrin:
I assumed that everyone know that China does not allow dual citizenship.

But the point about Bo is that people at the top know about his abuse of power & his revival of red culture. But they cant do anything until a foreigner is involved, and a murder case too!

"Noticed" that the CCP can't do much with Bo. He know too much.

Australia is helping to bail out Chinese with a visa to attract millionnaires. To make sure that it is for Chinese, they even give it auspicious numbers.

Significant Investor subclasses 188/888 visa

88 :biggrin: 88

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You should use the Philippines as an example of a government made up of dual citizens instead of China.

Pinoyland?

Not wasting time on failed state. I met some very rich pinoys in politics, they smell of pagpag.