• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ah Boys to Men is bad for SAF

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ah Boys to Men is bad for SAF
From Vanessa Tai 04:45 AM Nov 30, 2012
I recently watched Ah Boys to Men with my parents and younger brother, who is undergoing National Service. Like other Jack Neo films, the humour was slapstick and littered with Hokkien expletives.

Those jokes were tolerable, but the misogynistic script was unbearable. For example, the recruits referred to women as "clothing that can be easily discarded" in a bid to cheer up one of the recruits who had been dumped.

Another example was a sergeant showing his recruits how to tear a certain leaf in order to form the shape of female genitals.

Perhaps Mr Neo is accurately representing army life, but there is no value in such distasteful jokes. From what I understand, such banter is commonplace in the army, and while most guys do not hold sexist views, they play along so as not to be ostracised, which is a shame. Such behaviour should not be accepted as the norm.

A first-class military is not one that is just well armed or well trained in combat. A first-class military - in fact, a first-class society - is an egalitarian one that treats each member with respect, regardless of sex or socio-economic background.

The Singapore Armed Forces is moving into a Third Generation, with greater emphasis on nurturing and engaging each soldier, which is a step in the right direction. However, more can be done to improve the image of our soldiers.

Ah Boys to Men is a caricature, yes, but with many impressionable young men watching it, my worry is that Mr Neo's careless stereotypes may undo a lot of the SAF's good work.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Those jokes were tolerable, but the misogynistic script was unbearable. For example, the recruits referred to women as "clothing that can be easily discarded" in a bid to cheer up one of the recruits who had been dumped.

Uh-oh... feminist harpy spotted! Red alert!

Vanessa Tai
ix0bB.jpg

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this type of show are only meant to bullshit the women and teenagers who have no enlist.

is NS hard? honestly, N-O no lor.unit life rather relax compare to BMT but MDA sponsor saf show always on concentrate on tekong bmt which is far from the true compare to those monointake.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not really. Depends on where you're posted to and your vocation.

You can end up in heaven, or in hell, or anywhere in between.

well, see how one view lor. i see my relative relac at signal battlion while i in armour. do i envy? No because there always more siong unit for another unfortunate soul. i am grateful for my posting especially i not mono intake.