• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How 2 migrate 2 New Brunwicks, Canada faster. Any advice?

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wait next year for the new immigration legislation. Currently its closed till they clear up the backlog.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I know its a stupid question. But does any Singaporean still overstays and managed to snake their way into permanent residence in AUS, NZ, CA nowadays? I used to know a Singaporean who did that in the 70s after his NS. He ran to AUS, overstayed and managed to stay there due to some sort of clemency by the AUS government. He is now happily settled down in Sydney.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I know its a stupid question. But does any Singaporean still overstays and managed to snake their way into permanent residence in AUS, NZ, CA nowadays? I used to know a Singaporean who did that in the 70s after his NS. He ran to AUS, overstayed and managed to stay there due to some sort of clemency by the AUS government. He is now happily settled down in Sydney.

I know of one, she ran off without notifying her mum and she went to Canada (7 years back) and overstayed there, got some clemency plus her boyfriend at that time applied for her or something. In the end she managed to stay there permanently but the bf got rid of her once he was tired of her. She hooked up with another chap soon after. All this while, her mum had absolutely no idea where she was. She even came to the office looking for her, saying that our company "sent her" overseas for training/meeting so we are accountable. Called and called until one time, my staff got tired and told her the truth.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I know of a Malaysian overstayer who later married a Singaporean migrant in Sydney.
She was working as an illegal and no one did any checks.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I know of a Malaysian overstayer who later married a Singaporean migrant in Sydney.
She was working as an illegal and no one did any checks.

I know of one, she ran off without notifying her mum and she went to Canada (7 years back) and overstayed there, got some clemency plus her boyfriend at that time applied for her or something. In the end she managed to stay there permanently

If I am not married, I would have done the same. Brother Neddy, I was looking at the Canadian Immigration Website and realised that if a person were to work in Canada for 2 years, irregardless of the type of job, you can qualify for permanent residence. How true is this?

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If I am not married, I would have done the same. Brother Neddy, I was looking at the Canadian Immigration Website and realised that if a person were to work in Canada for 2 years, irregardless of the type of job, you can qualify for permanent residence. How true is this?

Yes after 2 years you can apply for PR regardless of the type of job, but you have to be legally hire....:smile:

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes try Saskatchewan for jobs. I just got offered a job there. Probably takes 3 months or less for a work visa. Try taking any job just to get in.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Yes after 2 years you can apply for PR regardless of the type of job, but you have to be legally hire....:smile:

Thanks brother. I saw this in the Canadian immigration website and I'm quite surprise. However, the difficult thing is, you must be offered a job first OUTSIDE Canada before applying for work pass. Can I just go, stay in Canada on a visitor visa to look for a job?

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Immigration will deny your work permit if you are there on social visit pass. This takes months to even get an answer. So you will be waiting for months in Canada and spending loads of money while you wait for the news on your work permit. Ive tried that twice. Safer and cheaper to apply outside.

Last edited:

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Think the best way is to get to canada via work visa than apply after 6 months for PNP than apply PR. That way you can earn and pay the process at the same time while you are there plus dont forget you only need 35 points going thru this route compared to 65. This wasnt an option when I worked in Perth on a 457 visa whereby gotto suck up to employer for 2 years for sponsorship which I did not want to. I think Canada has learn its lesson in bringing in too many educated people doing niche jobs. Most end up driving taxis in Toronto and Vancouver. I think now is a good time to move to Canada compared to 2004-05 when I was there and they put too much emphasis on paper qualifications. Lets face it Canada is a primary producer and needs lots of blue collar workers.

Last edited:

Beaver

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm a little concerned with some of the information being shared in this thread which is misleading.

Under the current requirements for the Canadian Experience Class, a worker may be eligible to apply for PR once he has accumulated at least 2 years of paid, full-time (37.5 hours per week) work in a high-skilled position (NOC 0, A or B). This requirement is set to drop to just 1 year of experience in 2013. So, it's not just "any job" and yes, you do need to have had a work permit to accumulate that experience.

Once you have entered Canada as a visitor, there is nothing to stop you from applying for jobs or for going for job interviews. However, your potential employer must love you so much that he/she is prepared to apply for a LMO for the position, which is a hassle many employers are not prepared to go through. The LMO process in Vancouver is taking about 3 months now. Once the employer has the LMO and offers you the position, you can then go down to the border and apply for your work permit at the border.

It is possible to have your employer apply for the LMO while you are in Singapore. But seriously, which employer is prepared to go through all that trouble for you if they have not even met you. And to bring you down to earth, we were brought up in Singapore thinking that our education, job training, credentials etc. is world no. 1. Frankly, you will find that outside of Singapore, it doesn't count for very much and Singapore is really just a little speck compared to other countries.

Assuming you do find an employer who is prepared to apply for the LMO for you, and you want to apply for the work permit at the Canadian High Comm in Singapore. Do you know that it takes 24 months to get a work permit there! http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp/workers.asp#asia

I appreciate if forumers are helpful in sharing their experiences. However, I would caution against giving advice on how to navigate through Canadian immigration laws unless you are familiar with them. 'Hai See Nang' you know.

hunter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks brother. I saw this in the Canadian immigration website and I'm quite surprise. However, the difficult thing is, you must be offered a job first OUTSIDE Canada before applying for work pass. Can I just go, stay in Canada on a visitor visa to look for a job?

It is going to be tough, the employer need to justify why they are hiring a foreigner instead of a local unemployed citizen, especially those citizens on EI (unemployment insurance). Not likely to approve a work pass for foreigner as long as there are local able citizens on EI.