• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How 2 migrate 2 New Brunwicks, Canada faster. Any advice?

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm a little concerned with some of the information being shared in this thread which is misleading.

Under the current requirements for the Canadian Experience Class, a worker may be eligible to apply for PR once he has accumulated at least 2 years of paid, full-time (37.5 hours per week) work in a high-skilled position (NOC 0, A or B). This requirement is set to drop to just 1 year of experience in 2013. So, it's not just "any job" and yes, you do need to have had a work permit to accumulate that experience.

Once you have entered Canada as a visitor, there is nothing to stop you from applying for jobs or for going for job interviews. However, your potential employer must love you so much that he/she is prepared to apply for a LMO for the position, which is a hassle many employers are not prepared to go through. The LMO process in Vancouver is taking about 3 months now. Once the employer has the LMO and offers you the position, you can then go down to the border and apply for your work permit at the border.

It is possible to have your employer apply for the LMO while you are in Singapore. But seriously, which employer is prepared to go through all that trouble for you if they have not even met you. And to bring you down to earth, we were brought up in Singapore thinking that our education, job training, credentials etc. is world no. 1. Frankly, you will find that outside of Singapore, it doesn't count for very much and Singapore is really just a little speck compared to other countries.

Assuming you do find an employer who is prepared to apply for the LMO for you, and you want to apply for the work permit at the Canadian High Comm in Singapore. Do you know that it takes 24 months to get a work permit there! http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp/workers.asp#asia

I appreciate if forumers are helpful in sharing their experiences. However, I would caution against giving advice on how to navigate through Canadian immigration laws unless you are familiar with them. 'Hai See Nang' you know.

What you mentioned are all formalities. There are alot of foreign workers in canana. Some also no england language, alot from pinoyland and kelingland. most have little qualifications questionable ones. But it is true that Canana gov takes there sweet time to get things going but hopefully next year they speed things up. If you are in a highly qualified kinda job, dont hope to get the same job there. Blue collar jobs like trucking, welding, metal fabricator got fast tract work visa. No guts no glory man. If you wanna remain a sinkee all your life than dont bother trying. If you wanna get out of the shithole peesai, try every means you can.

Last edited:

always1600

Alfrescian
Loyal
What if, I invest in a business partnership or buy in a business there, will it speed up the proceed? Is there a $$$ amount require too?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
But seriously, which employer is prepared to go through all that trouble for you if they have not even met you. And to bring you down to earth, we were brought up in Singapore thinking that our education, job training, credentials etc. is world no. 1. Frankly, you will find that outside of Singapore, it doesn't count for very much and Singapore is really just a little speck compared to other countries.

I appreciate if forumers are helpful in sharing their experiences. However, I would caution against giving advice on how to navigate through Canadian immigration laws unless you are familiar with them. 'Hai See Nang' you know.

Good point.

However, I think you have missed out a point about how the process of getting a job goes for a new immigrant.

Why would an employer want someone they have never met? Simple. Because someone who is a damn good worker for them is recommending that person.

I used to work in a windows factory where there were 3 mexicans in factory dominated by Vietnamese workers. Those 3 mexicans came to Canada as visitors and worked illegally for the first year or so. Some provinces have different cultures. Anyway to cut the story shorter, they landed the jobs in the windows factory, and finally are going for their PR with nomination from the employer.

I left the factory earlier this year. I just found out that the number of mexicans working there has increased by a lot. Something like 20 of them there now. And the lead hand is now one of those original 3 mexicans. And all those fellow mexicans they brought in are foreign workers with work permits. LMO indeed. You see, those mexicans worked very hard and were very good in their work. And rarely gave trouble to the boss. Unlike the vietnamese stalwarts. Hence the boss liked them and trusted them to bring in more just as hardworking and productive workers like them.

If you were an employer, and needed to find workers in Canada, would you ask the good workers or the lousy ones for recommendations?

Personally I could make such recommendations myself as I gave a very good account of myself. But I sincerely doubt any Singaporean would be "dying" to go to Canada to work as a assembly line worker for around CAD$1.5 to CAD$2k a month. It's not that this path can't be done or hai see nang or anything. It can be done. Just that Singaporeans probably have too much misconceptions with life and status to understand what that kind of opportunity represents. Mexicans would happily take those places.

Beaver

Alfrescian
Loyal
I take my hat off to the Mexicans, the Filipinos, and even the Chinese who are prepared to work long hours in menial jobs so that they can immigrate and build a new life for themselves and their families.

But, would the average Singaporean cut it? Like you, I have my doubts.

My point was that there was a lot of misleading information in the previous posts. I thought I should quote some of the laws and regulations to clarify the misconceptions. Alas, I'm told they are 'formalities'. Well, good luck and all the best to everyone. I would very much like to hear from first hand experiences than from hearsay.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I take my hat off to the Mexicans, the Filipinos, and even the Chinese who are prepared to work long hours in menial jobs so that they can immigrate and build a new life for themselves and their families.

But, would the average Singaporean cut it? Like you, I have my doubts.

My point was that there was a lot of misleading information in the previous posts. I thought I should quote some of the laws and regulations to clarify the misconceptions. Alas, I'm told they are 'formalities'. Well, good luck and all the best to everyone. I would very much like to hear from first hand experiences than from hearsay.

I think most Singaporeans would be able to cut it. The "hardship" is nothing lah. It is more a matter of whether they are able to eat humble pie and take on a "lower status" type job. The thing is in Canada they will find that less emphasis is placed on what you do (unless you meet other asians lah but that is another story to tell). For the kind of work and the level of "stress" the money is actually very easy money lah. But won't be rich lah.

First hand experiences? If we all went only by "first hand experiences" then nobody would move.

Everyone's situation is different. If you want to go, you must have your own reasons to go. And then you move on from there and decide what you are willing to do and will do. No amount of "first hand" accounts will prepare you for your own destiny.

Laws and regulations are there, but where there is a will, there is a way. As with all things, there is always a price to pay for each choice you make.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Been to canana to work illegally in Ontario(missisauga) and Alberta(red deer) in road houses type restaurants. Even though I was illegal, the bosses treated me fairly and I work a strict 8 hours 5 days. The only thing that hold me back was that my work visa fell through as that was in the early 2000. Next year canana will relex the rules abit. Also I recently came back from Perth on a 457 visa. I got offered a job through the internet. It took 2 months for the visa to be approved. But I did not like Perth at all. Nice beaches and Scenery but too many migrants and the place looks so touristy. Not to mention the properties were out of reach for me. Canana is still my choice. BTW i went to Perth with my MRs and 1 year kid and with about 100kg worth of luggage. Im back in JB now to plan my next move to canana.

It was way too easy for me to get a job in Canana and OZ, but the legal paperwork is a hassle for both employer and employee. Now Im aiming for PR rather than work permit. But If I do get a work permit, I will still go.

The jobs I had in Canana and Perth were way tougher physically than in peesai so I advice sinkees to hit the gym and exercise regularly in order to survive there. Do remember there is no cheap bangla/ thai and chinamen worker to wipe your ass over there.

By the way alot of pussies complained that Perth is cold during winter, Perth is nothing compare to the -30d degree Celsius in Alberta which I think is good cause it cold weather keeps the sissy sinkee at bay. I laugh when I see sinkee men wear sweater in peesai when it rains.

Last edited:

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alot of relatives of mine in Canana who migrated in the 70s and 80s had only o levels. They worked hard over there and now all of my cousins there are UNI grads. Compared to my cousins in peesai, the ratio of cousins graduated uni in canana is 100 percent.

Also before I forget the 457 visa had education criteria which i did not met. But still i got the visa easily.

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Alberta oil sands need lots of workers ...if you are skilled, eg. welder, heavy equipment operators, truck drivers, your income could easily be $100k which is considered good money. $100k is nothing in sinkapore but then everything in sinkapore is expensive. $100k in Canada would be about $200k in purchasing power parity!

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yup i agree that things are cheap in canana. Way cheaper than peesai and Oz. Can grow really fat in canana. But no need to worry plus size clothing also cheap. For me it was the shoes, I wear 13.5 size shoes and when i went into wall-mart...hallelujah! Branded ones also.

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
According to my cousin who works for a company that supply goods to the oil companies, things are slowing down .OT are curtailed since June. Normally, at the end of the month, production are ramp up, so to make the book looks good. For the last 2 months, no increase in production at the end of the month. The thing that worries my cousin is that some of the good being produce now are for stock piling. He seen it before back in the late 90's and early 2000s.. Similar trend. Further slowdown...layoffs
Usually the busy period is in winter and the slow period is in spring.. If things are slowing down now, what will it be like come spring???

The Alberta oil sands need lots of workers ...if you are skilled, eg. welder, heavy equipment operators, truck drivers, your income could easily be $100k which is considered good money. $100k is nothing in sinkapore but then everything in sinkapore is expensive. $100k in Canada would be about $200k in purchasing power parity!

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
According to my cousin who works for a company that supply goods to the oil companies, things are slowing down .OT are curtailed since June. Normally, at the end of the month, production are ramp up, so to make the book looks good. For the last 2 months, no increase in production at the end of the month. The thing that worries my cousin is that some of the good being produce now are for stock piling. He seen it before back in the late 90's and early 2000s.. Similar trend. Further slowdown...layoffs
Usually the busy period is in winter and the slow period is in spring.. If things are slowing down now, what will it be like come spring???

Yes you are right. Things have slowed down compared to last year. Winter is when drill schedule ramps up as the muskeg turns frozen and well sites become accessible. Most companies have drilled last year (there was massive activity).

This year natural gas is dead because of the oversupply and the slump in prices. Nevertheless there is still activity. If you are a good performer they will still hold on to you. Don't forget that oil & gas sector pays very handsomely. So there is a lot of room to cut back. It's like the banker who says that he used to earn $300k a year and is only earning $100k now.

Ups and downs sure to happen. But if Alberta is slowing down, you can bet that places like Ontario and BC will be even WORSE!

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is my own view. Ontario's economy is more diversified and less dependent on any one sector so they be less affected than Alberta's. The main problems for Alberta are: 1. politics; 2. high dependency on oil exports. Alberta's largest customer is USA for which they sell oil at a $20 discount; they cannnot export to Asia cause there is insufficient pipeline. And Alberta cannot expand the pipeline because of politics. USA is becoming more self sufficient in their energy needs as they ramp up natural gas production and this in turn also depresses the natural gas prices in Alberta.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
This is my own view. Ontario's economy is more diversified and less dependent on any one sector so they be less affected than Alberta's. The main problems for Alberta are: 1. politics; 2. high dependency on oil exports. Alberta's largest customer is USA for which they sell oil at a $20 discount; they cannnot export to Asia cause there is insufficient pipeline. And Alberta cannot expand the pipeline because of politics. USA is becoming more self sufficient in their energy needs as they ramp up natural gas production and this in turn also depresses the natural gas prices in Alberta.

Yes Ontario is better. Diversified economy. Better to go to Ontario and Vancouver.

Alberta is highly vulnerable to oil prices collapsing. Alberta is also very very very cold. Cold until can die.

Ontario is more stable and is much better overall. Singaporeans should stick to Vancouver and Toronto. After all that is where almost all the immigrants go to.

As the Ontario premier (outgoing) had said, Alberta is causing the CAD$ to be high and thus hurting Ontario's economy. If oil prices collapsed, the CAD$ would weaken and thus would cause the Ontario economy to boom! So it is all Alberta's fault.

Funny how the news is different depending on where you read it eh? :biggrin:

Last edited:

Beaver

Alfrescian
Loyal
No lah. Alberta the best. Plenty of jobs from the oil and gas sector. Property so cheap; you can buy a few acres.

There are so many world class cultural events, for example, the Calgary Stampede. Successful sports teams like the Edmonton Oilers and the Eskimos. Not to mention the immigrant-welcoming cowboys there who will be so happy to see another Chinese fellow.

Don't come to Vancouver lah. Too many Chinese and Singaporeans. You get all the Chinese food here and will hardly get a chance to savour the Alberta cuisine.

always1600

Alfrescian
Loyal
What if, I invest in a business partnership or buy in a business there, will it speed up the proceed? Is there a $$$ amount require too? Any idea?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
What if, I invest in a business partnership or buy in a business there, will it speed up the proceed? Is there a $$$ amount require too? Any idea?

Last time got. But now this program under review. Wait for new details to be out next year. Heard that they only want the investment in certain specific types of business.

always1600

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last time got. But now this program under review. Wait for new details to be out next year. Heard that they only want the investment in certain specific types of business.

Is there a website I can go to check their new review? Appreciate n thanks!

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
No lah. Alberta the best. Plenty of jobs from the oil and gas sector. Property so cheap; you can buy a few acres.

There are so many world class cultural events, for example, the Calgary Stampede. Successful sports teams like the Edmonton Oilers and the Eskimos. Not to mention the immigrant-welcoming cowboys there who will be so happy to see another Chinese fellow.

Don't come to Vancouver lah. Too many Chinese and Singaporeans. You get all the Chinese food here and will hardly get a chance to savour the Alberta cuisine.

True. Looks like the best is Toronto. Property prices there are the cheapest, the economy is extremely diversified and stable and has the lowest unemployment in the country. And has many asians so you will not feel out of place there.

Singaporeans should go to Toronto.