• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Old Dud: Singapore was a BARREN island in 1965. True?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]Lee Kuan Yew: Singapore was a BARREN island in 1965[/h]Posted by temasektimes on September 22, 2012

Singapore was once the crown jewel of the British empire, after being founded by Sir Stamford Raffles in 1819, but according to Singapore Supreme Leader Lee Kuan Yew, it was a BARREN island when it was booted out of Malaysia in 1965.

The stunning remarks were made by Lee at the Istana last night where he hosted French oil giant TOTAL to dinner. Lee has been on the firm’s International Advisory Committee since 1993.

Though Lee is only a MP now and not a minister, he is allowed to use the Istana to host the dinner. It is not known if he is hosting it in his personal capacity as TOTAL’s adviser or in his official position as MP for Tanjong Pagar GRC.

Speaking to reports present at the dinner, Lee recalled how Singapore overcame the ‘odds’ after becoming independent in 1965.

“We were suddenly confronted with the challenge of making a living for two million people on a BARREN island at the southernmost tip of Asia, which gives us the advantage of servicing all the ships that cross the Atlantic and the Pacific.”

He also lavished generous self-praise on himself for making Singapore safe for foreigners:

“But more than that, we learned how to create conditions which gave confidence to investors, and made living in Singapore safe for foreigners and their families.”

TOTAL’s chairman and chief executive, Christophe de Margerie, paid tribute to Mr Lee as Singapore’s founding father and invited him to stay on the company’s Advisory Committee for as long as he wants.

At 89 years of age, Lee is currently the world’s longest living MP. Despite rumors about his poor health, he still mustered the strength to give his subservient subjects a piece of his mind recently for not making enough babies.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem is that the official newspaper never rebutts or challenges what Mr. Lee opines, and whatever he says is always endorsed by them, and becomes the "truth."

Cheers!

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
up-yours_zps3f3b6df5.jpg
[/QUOTE]

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
“We were suddenly confronted with the challenge of making a living for two million people on a BARREN island at the southernmost tip of Asia, which gives us the advantage of servicing all the ships that cross the Atlantic and the Pacific

I would agree with Old Fart if he says that Spore was a barren land during Sang Nila Utama's era..

But to say that Spore was a barren land back in the 60s, right after the end of British rule and seperation from Malaya, then this Old Fart is really talking cock..

He's getting senile..

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I would agree with Old Fart if he says that Spore was a barren land during Sang Nila Utama's era..

But to say that Spore was a barren land back in the 60s, right after the end of British rule and seperation from Malaya, then this Old Fart is really talking cock..

He's getting senile..

http://www.globalurban.org/GUD Singapore MES Report.pdf
"During the 1960s, Singapore’s GDP grew at a relatively high average of 6% per year. In
the same period, the manufacturing share of the GDP grew from about 10% in 1960 to
about 15% in the late 1960s [28]. More importantly, the entry of foreign corporations into
the island has enabled Singapore to adopt the technology brought in by the investors."

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Singapore was once the crown jewel of the British empire, after being founded by Sir Stamford Raffles in 1819, but according to Singapore Supreme Leader Lee Kuan Yew, it was a BARREN island when it was booted out of Malaysia in 1965.

The stunning remarks were made by Lee at the Istana last night where he hosted French oil giant TOTAL to dinner. Lee has been on the firm’s International Advisory Committee since 1993.

Though Lee is only a MP now and not a minister, he is allowed to use the Istana to host the dinner. It is not known if he is hosting it in his personal capacity as TOTAL’s adviser or in his official position as MP for Tanjong Pagar GRC.

This actually brings up several issues.

1) How can a mere MP use the Istana to host a dinner party? How much did it cost? I can see a govt. owned facility being used to host heads of states or dignatories from other govt. and countries, but to host a private dinner party for a corporation?

2) Can LTK also host a dinner party at the Istana? For free, like Old Goat? What are the perimiters for the use of the Istana. I am already very uncomfortable that Gecko's wrinkled corpse was parked at the Istana for public viewing. She was a private citizen, why wasn't she at Singapore casket for viewing?

3) How can an MP, paid by the taxpayers also be paid by a french oil company? U can only serve one master. Is this not a conflict of interest? Lets say for example that the SAF opens a tender to supply lubricants for its vehicles. Total being in the lubricant business can bid on this tender. But only TOTAL can claim to have Lee Kuan Yew on its advisory committee. If Total does not win the contract, Old Goat will look bad and have egg on his face. U better believe that some porlumpar SAF general will award the contract to Total. In other words, this is a bribe to secure business in singapore. The bribe money is the salary of lee Con You on the Total payroll. The only way you can pursuade me otherwise is that Total does not do business with the SAF, the singapore govt., any stat boards or GLCs. But that is not possible, as 80% of businesses in singapore fall into this category. Definitely conflict of interest, any comment from CPIB?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
It was pretty barren. I used to cycle to the rural areas where there was nobody around for miles.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Perspective.

What you call 'barren', I call it 'idyllic'.

Today, what you call 'vibrant' or 'cosmopolitan', I call it a 'messy clusterfuck of sardines in a can'.

apogee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Barren? There were jungles and animals. All you need is to read books by early colonial servants. It took 1 chap half a day to travel from the city to Woodlands to hunt for tigers. When I was a kid,and that was before 1965, there were vegetable farms and rubber plantations in the rural areas. A decade before 1965 - there was already Asia Insurance Building.

It was pretty barren. I used to cycle to the rural areas where there was nobody around for miles.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I love my days in the 60s and 70s. Those were my golden days. Barren and deserted? Frankly I don't think so. I still remember those pretty and sexy British women shopping around in Cold Storage and basking in the sun in their " angmoh" houses.

Wonderful memories indeed.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal

What you saw was not barren land. It was undeveloped rural areas which later years was developed into either industrial or residential purpose. Cultivation was not a consideration in Singapore because of limited land. Below is the Thesauraus definition of Barren.

Noun 1. barren - an uninhabited wilderness that is worthless for cultivation; "the barrens of central Africa"; "the trackless wastes of the desert"
wasteland, waste
heathland, heath - a tract of level wasteland; uncultivated land with sandy soil and scrubby vegetation
wild, wilderness - a wild and uninhabited area left in its natural condition; "it was a wilderness preserved for the hawks and mountaineers

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Maybe I am old.But I love those days in the 60s and 70s. So peaceful, so nice and so stress free....Easy going and we felt more united as a people. Well, things must change for the "better"....

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Barren? There were jungles and animals. All you need is to read books by early colonial servants. It took 1 chap half a day to travel from the city to Woodlands to hunt for tigers. When I was a kid,and that was before 1965, there were vegetable farms and rubber plantations in the rural areas. A decade before 1965 - there was already Asia Insurance Building.

its to add to the myth of LKW being the Rambo of governators.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What this Old Bastard meant was his FamiLEE's Bank Account was Barren back in 1965..

Now in 2012, his Family's Bank account full of $$$$$$$..