• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Catholic Archbishop withdraws letter to abolish ISA

Toronto

Alfrescian
Loyal
archbishop1e.jpg

The head of the Catholic Church in Singapore has confirmed that he wrote to an activist group backing its call to abolish the Internal Security Act (ISA) - but withdrew the letter later fearing it could affect the country's social harmony.

Archbishop Nicholas Chia, 73, on Wednesday said he had retracted the letter to Function 8 after he reflected on it and became concerned it could be used "in a manner that I did not intend".

The response came a day after blogger Alex Au wrote on his site Yawning Bread that the Archbishop had written to Function8 ahead of an anti-ISA rally in June.

Mr Au said he had not seen the letter, but heard it was "warmly-worded" and that it expressed support for the rally and the call for the ISA to be abolished.

Toronto

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is one of the instances I supported the SBF Saint(Conqueror)'s view of the evilness of entrangling faith into secular politics.
Somehow it still runs in the RC blood.

I am personally against ISA, I believe it is obsolete and irrelevant now. But I am against any religion group to meddle in it.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dont think that was Alex's intention. Alex was only pointing out the way things are being done in this country, and how people are cowed into silence. He was bemoaning about the past Church example and ruefully wondering if this is still the spirit behind the National Conversation, then might as well not have it.

This is one of the instances I supported the SBF Saint(Conqueror)'s view of the evilness of entrangling faith into secular politics.
Somehow it still runs in the RC blood.

I am personally against ISA, I believe it is obsolete and irrelevant now. But I am against any religion group to meddle in it.