• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

window of opportunity...

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
for getting a good property in the bay area is shrinking.

prices are going up in sf, san mateo, marin, and santa clara counties. inventories are coming down, and there are more bids per home.

for sinkies, chinkies and hongkies, the best time to invest in real estate in the bay area was last year, when prices were at their lowest and inventories were at peaks. with asset enhancement a.k.a. property bubble in asia, this 2 years are the best time act: sell in asia and invest in the u.s.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
for getting a good property in the bay area is shrinking.

prices are going up in sf, san mateo, marin, and santa clara counties. inventories are coming down, and there are more bids per home.

for sinkies, chinkies and hongkies, the best time to invest in real estate in the bay area was last year, when prices were at their lowest and inventories were at peaks. with asset enhancement a.k.a. property bubble in asia, this 2 years are the best time act: sell in asia and invest in the u.s.

Good place to buy, always has been. Wanted to about 5 years back but decided to try something more local as just brought parents and family back from states at that time and both parents shook their head. Would still be good to go into the market for this though.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good place to buy, always has been. Wanted to about 5 years back but decided to try something more local as just brought parents and family back from states at that time and both parents shook their head. Would still be good to go into the market for this though.

there are many pros but two cons. for sinkies, it's too far away to manage and use, although one can engage a management firm to run it. there are management fees and many don't do a good job knowing the owner is remote. another issue has to do with escalating property and or parcel tax. cities are drowning in debt, and they resort to raising both types of taxes to balance the budget. property tax in cal is tame at a low rate by prop 13. but cities can suka suka raise parcel tax for schools when they need the money. must be approved by the city council which comprises elected members.

right now, rents are high and rentals are hot due to many tech workers being hired. there are also renters with good incomes, but they lose their homes to the subprime mess and bad spending habits.

maozedong

Alfrescian
Loyal
this year is election year and so double dip recession postponed. next year when facebook drops below $10, markets become immune to fed's money printing, china crashes not so softly, euro breaks up, israel nukes iran, prices will drop again. also, the banks are still holding back foreclosure sales.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this year is election year and so double dip recession postponed. next year when facebook drops below $10, markets become immune to fed's money printing, china crashes not so softly, euro breaks up, israel nukes iran, prices will drop again. also, the banks are still holding back foreclosure sales.

there's one predictability. when everywhere or everthing else crashes in the world, investors will look to gold and the dollar for safety. if there is any global meltdown, the treasury can print all the money it wants and still sits pretty.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
there are many pros but two cons. for sinkies, it's too far away to manage and use, although one can engage a management firm to run it. there are management fees and many don't do a good job knowing the owner is remote. another issue has to do with escalating property and or parcel tax. cities are drowning in debt, and they resort to raising both types of taxes to balance the budget. property tax in cal is tame at a low rate by prop 13. but cities can suka suka raise parcel tax for schools when they need the money. must be approved by the city council which comprises elected members.

right now, rents are high and rentals are hot due to many tech workers being hired. there are also renters with good incomes, but they lose their homes to the subprime mess and bad spending habits.

I was actually in the late stages of getting a unit around Nob hill at a time but decided not to when my parents disliked the place and asked for something nearer. Later on, even wanted to look at Bayview but back then it was really bad unlike now. Yes, especially the fees for condos and then
the tax so probably just wait and see. Freemont remains good i think. :smile:

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was actually in the late stages of getting a unit around Nob hill at a time but decided not to when my parents disliked the place and asked for something nearer. Later on, even wanted to look at Bayview but back then it was really bad unlike now. Yes, especially the fees for condos and then
the tax so probably just wait and see. Freemont remains good i think. :smile:

bayview hunter's is the gangbanger ghetto of sf. last year, there was a homicide every other day. still bad today. developers are proposing to tear down whole district and rebuild.

fremont is much better and safer. the side with the mission school distrct is a lot more valuable than the warm springs and irvington side.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
bayview hunter's is the gangbanger ghetto of sf. last year, there was a homicide every other day. still bad today. developers are proposing to tear down whole district and rebuild.

fremont is much better and safer. the side with the mission school distrct is a lot more valuable than the warm springs and irvington side.

Yes its bad but my friends did told me that Asians moving in has made things better? Yes i know the real bad rep even then, i walked through parts of it as the agent had to go back early. Actually even popular market street has its seedier side as does Union Square(Tenderloin)

Agree with the part of Freemont, i went through the Baybridge daily for quite a bit. Best time of my life there was when i took my wife on a heli ride back then to Golden gate and part of the tour included flying over the 2 bridges before going to Sausalito.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes its bad but my friends did told me that Asians moving in has made things better? Yes i know the real bad rep even then, i walked through parts of it as the agent had to go back early. Actually even popular market street has its seedier side as does Union Square(Tenderloin)

asians, especially new chinese immigrants who are not familiar with the area, will have properties anywhere, including richmond, oakland and east palo alto (cities notorious for drive-by shootings). after getting shot at a few times, they learn to close shop before 7pm. :o

it will take decades of slow renewal by unsuspecting immigrants to change the no-man's landscape. :p .... i.e. after many funerals and sob stories. i've seen bad neighborhoods change to better (not good yet) after years of demographic change. hayward and east san jose are examples. but schools there are still in the pits as they are now dominated by latinos.

tenderloin is in the mission district, which starts 1 block away from powell, which leads to union square. union square is not part of the tenderloin, or vice versa. the seedier part of mission which includes the tenderloin is around civic center, market and van ness.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
asians, especially new chinese immigrants who are not familiar with the area, will have properties anywhere, including richmond, oakland and east palo alto (cities notorious for drive-by shootings). after getting shot at a few times, they learn to close shop before 7pm. :o

it will take decades of slow renewal by unsuspecting immigrants to change the no-man's landscape. :p .... i.e. after many funerals and sob stories. i've seen bad neighborhoods change to better (not good yet) after years of demographic change. hayward and east san jose are examples. but schools there are still in the pits as they are now dominated by latinos.

tenderloin is in the mission district, which starts 1 block away from powell, which leads to union square. union square is not part of the tenderloin, or vice versa. the seedier part of mission which includes the tenderloin is around civic center, market and van ness.

True, i think it will be a while then.
Oh, i stayed at Hotel Nikko back then i think and i exited on the wrong exit of the hotel. Maybe i got it wrong then as it was so close.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
True, i think it will be a while then.
Oh, i stayed at Hotel Nikko back then i think and i exited on the wrong exit of the hotel. Maybe i got it wrong then as it was so close.

most likely, you got out at mason and o'farrell. that's the northeastern tip of the tenderloin. :biggrin: union square is two blocks away to the northeast. anyway, panhandlers from the tenderloin are now hanging around the square as tourists are more susceptible to give cash handouts.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
@Eatshitndie, Why did you move to the States and why S.F?

it was because of the hippie song "are you going to san francisco?" i created a thread sometime ago explaining why. too lazy to look for it now while riding bart, bay area rapid transit. if i find it, will post the link.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
@Eatshitndie, Why did you move to the States and why S.F?

moreover, i excel in what i do in the environment here. can't re-create the same in sg. i'm in cutting edge technology. my peers are all around me, and we have critical mass in brain trust. it's difficult to be anywhere else when one is part of an ecosystem that is changing the world in a huge way. we feel like the rest of the world are just followers. everyone around me is pure genius. on the average, we file six to eight patents per person per year, and that's because of the monetary reward limit on the total number of patents a year.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
moreover, i excel in what i do in the environment here. can't re-create the same in sg. i'm in cutting edge technology. my peers are all around me, and we have critical mass in brain trust. it's difficult to be anywhere else when one is part of an ecosystem that is changing the world in a huge way. we feel like the rest of the world are just followers. everyone around me is pure genius. on the average, we file six to eight patents per person per year, and that's because of the monetary reward limit on the total number of patents a year.

SF deserves someone like you especially if you are so brilliant. Its a loss to SG but good for your own personal fulfillment. We were at Sunnyvale for a while as well but it was too expensive. Remembered the Bart, F-Line as well at Fishersman wharf (personal preference). I put my family at one of the hotels near Northpoint whenever i have family over.

I liked being there as well, when i brought my folks there, they were complaining daily about things there, etc and raring to come back to the "cage".
As soon as they got back, they said they should have stayed longer there, waxing lyrical about it.

Now, years later, i still get lots of, i miss SF talks.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now, years later, i still get lots of, i miss SF talks.

sf has now become the public toilet of the homeless, panhandlers, bums, alcoholics and addicts. if i can find the report, bart escalators in downtown sf have stopped working because they are choked with excrement from these jokers. they would camp at landings of these escalators after midnight and urinate and defecate there. simply disgusting.

the new renaissance is down the peninsula in santa clara county, from menlo park south to almaden. it has the highest concentration of geeks and inventors than anywhere in the world. it's like florence after the dark ages, and london during the industrial revolution. if you're a high tech innovator or inventor, and do not live among the best and bounce ideas off each other, you'll quickly lose the edge. the u.s. patent office is opening up a center in san jose, because the majority of patent applications these days occur in santa clara county. it's good to know that one's name is etched forever in posterity.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
you found the article! thanks! i was in sf last weekend, and all the escalators at the embarcadero station were not working. need to wear gas mask while climbing the stairs. :eek:

Sure, there was always a lingering stench whenever i walk around the Bart. Even on streets too whenever there are panhandlers. I sometimes saw those very young doing that, doing nothing and getting wasted on alcohol, etc.

Its quite true about the public toilets though, you can't even use most of the restaurants and even coffee places don't allow non customers to use it. Its something we take for granted in SG where its more accessible. Speaking of coffee, still a fan of Peets after all these years. There was a Working Ladies cafe near the Hotel Triton (right at the corner) nice sandwiches.

Osha (Thai restaurant) used to be my favourite but nowadays long queue and standards a bit iffy. They were able to allow us to bring in wine on some occasions and waived off the corkage fees.