• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Migration for Successful Singles/Couples

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Bro, you are mistaken. In the mid 80s, the Govt did a study and realised that emigration was actually fueled by CPF nest egg. It actually outstripped the money that was paid out for death cases.

You're obviously in a very tolerant and helpful mood today. I, on the other hand, got out on the wrong side of bed. :p

If the real estate market is booming in Singapore, it is prime time for emigration.

1. Sell the home, take the profit and return what's owed to CPF.

2. Arrive in new homeland and find a simple day job if you're the employee kind or start a mini enterprise if you're the adventurous sort and have a bit of capital to spare. (or you can do both). Use profit from sinkie home to buy an entry level home.

3. Once citizenship is gained, (3 to 5) years depending on country, withdraw 100% of your CPF you're home free and a huge number of options are available.

PS: Your wealth depends upon the strength of the sinkie dollar so once you've left, you'll be rooting for the PAP to do a good job of keeping the economy strong and healthy at all costs. Your care and concern for the unemployed PMETs, the old, the sick and the disadvantaged will be but a distant memory. :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The 2 most popular excuse that is offered over 2 decades are (1) cannot leave parents and (2) why be 2nd class citizens in an ang mo country. The second makes absolutely no sense. When I tell people who offer me the first excuse that parents because of their age are eligible for state pension, there is a sense of shock and disbelief.

There is a granny that I know who after migrating with a her family had her self esteemed doubled overnight because she was drawing a pension every fornight. Prior to that she was a housewife. This lady would make a yearly trip back to Singapore use that money to pay for her plane ticket and all the barang barang including a bag of rice for relatives here. The rice did not make sense to me as it was like selling snow to an eskimo. For her it was symbolic. It also explains why I could not help but notice that elderly Singaporeans live longer in such countries. Pride and dignity goes a long way.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
cannot leave parents ....

Do you know that the sinkie parents (that's our generation now) are just as much to blame.

Sinkie parents do everything they can to keep their children in the coup and that includes emotional blackmail.

On the other hand, I asked immigrant friends that I have from South Africa, Malaysia, Croatia etc about what their parents back home said about their emigration plans and all of them said that their parents HELPED them to emigrate as they wanted the best for their grandchildren and all future generations.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
If medical doctor on arrival can take a menial job, no one has an excuse. I once told the story of Singaporean who on arrival picked up a job at an assembly line for Arnott Biscuit factory during the night. That same day, one forummer identified him and the RSAF unit he came from. Its a small world.

I also told a story about a SATS director of HR and his interior decorator wife who used to write for a Women's magazine who wanted a stress free life. He found a job for himself and his wife in a pillow factory. The men stuff the pillows, the women sew it up. They did it until retirement. His hobby was travel and he had VW van, loved scuba diving and playing in a band. Talk about a decadent lifestyle.

You're obviously in a very tolerant and helpful mood today. I, on the other hand, got out on the wrong side of bed. :p

PS: Your wealth depends upon the strength of the sinkie dollar so once you've left, you'll be rooting for the PAP to do a good job of keeping the economy strong and healthy at all costs. Your care and concern for the unemployed PMETs, the old, the sick and the disadvantaged will be but a distant memory. :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. I was told that Malaysian parents would encourage their kids to migrate but the opposite is true of Singapore parents. Not sure why Singapore parents behave in this way. Its a riddle that I have not been able to solve.

Do you know that the sinkie parents (that's our generation now) are just as much to blame.

Sinkie parents do everything they can to keep their children in the coup and that includes emotional blackmail.

On the other hand, I asked immigrant friends that I have from South Africa, Malaysia, Croatia etc about what their parents back home said about their emigration plans and all of them said that their parents HELPED them to emigrate as they wanted the best for their grandchildren and all future generations.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Its a riddle that I have not been able to solve.

I'll tell you why. It's because deep down, most Singaporeans and their parents and their grandparents actually think that Singapore is still the best place in the world. They gripe about everything but when it comes to the crunch, "divorce proceedings" are a step too far.

That's why so many Singaporean would be immigrants want reassurances in just about every aspect of their decision making process. What about food? crime? schools?, racism? job prospects? weather? risk of natural disasters? etc etc. If the desired answers are not forthcoming, the emigration deal is off.

PS: Many Singaporean would be immigrants start off by "two timing" the country. You know what I mean... it's like a man who wants to leave his wife but needs to find the security of a mistress first and then goes through a long period of maintaining two relationships in order to decide whether mistress would actually be a good replacement for wife. Perth is the favourite destination for this category.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
12 years ago, I remember being very enthusiastic about helping Singaporeans to emigrate. However, I am now older and wiser and have come to the conclusion that it is better to leave them to slow cook in their own juices in that shit hole Island.

In the process of trying to help sinkies, I developed a new found respect for the Malaysian Chinese, Taiwanese and even the Mainlanders as well as those from the former Eastern bloc. Their "can do" attitude is infectious and it rubbed off on me.

I've already said what needs to be said about the spoon-feed sinkies over the years so I shall not dwell on the matter any further. The only immigrants who are worse than the sinkies are the muslim trash whose sole aim is to get onto the welfare gravy train at the earliest opportunity and have lots of children in order to maximise their return on investment.

Most of my class mates are gone but I'm from an older generation. Don't really know what the current generation are looking for:confused: Maybe it's the thought of life without maids that's stopping them:p However I think this apples to mostly females because they have been spoilt by their parents?

I suspect there are many Sporeans who still want to get out but you don't meet these people because they are in a different age cohort.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
However I think this apples to mostly females because they have been spoilt by their parents?

Spoilt females are the most ardent supporters of the PAP. The epitome of this category is Xiaxue (Wendy Cheng). They LOVE Singapore as their lives revolve around clubbing, cosmetics, perfumes, iPhones, boutiques, foam parties etc and the PAP has delivered in abundance in this aspect of Singapore life.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Wah scroobal! What go you into this mood? :rolleyes:

How come this thread isn't in the emigration folder?

We just had our Edmonton-Singapore gathering last Saturday. There are actually quite a number of Singaporeans living in Edmonton alone. So there are many (thousands) who have migrated. Some Singaporeans are actually still pretty nostalgic about Singapore but when they visit the place now, they have difficulty recognizing it because the country has changed quite a bit.

There is no good or bad, right or wrong, should or should not. You basically choose what you want to do and where you want to go.

For me, if Singaporeans choose to call Singapore home and make the best of what they have there, good for them! In fact you would be very surprised that it is this group of people who are the ones who migrate successfully.

The group that complains about everything, offers no solutions, blames everything they are unhappy about on the government, talks loudly about migrating are actually the ones who would never migrate successfully.

Hence this is probably the wrong platform to "help" Singaporeans wanting to migrate.

I would like to thank Samleong, scroobal, ck, winnipegjets, asychee and many others who had shared their thoughts on migrating a decade ago. I learned a lot about having the right attitudes and preparing properly for the move.

One thing to note about menial jobs. I have met several doctors from India, Iran, Pakistan, El Salvador, Egypt, Nigeria, Czechoslovakia etc. Many of them have never practised medicine. They graduated from med school and came straight to Canada. They don't have jobs. They hang around clinics as "observers" for 2,3, even 4 years! My dental hygienist said that for an Indian doctor, there is no option not to become a doctor once they have been a doctor. It is inconceivable to them. Hence they keep trying and trying and eventually they get there. How they support their families in the meantime I am not sure. But they would travel all over Canada to get residency and finally be re-licensed. You could say that is sheer focus and determination. Is it good? Right? Wrong? It's hard to say.

As for myself, I'm not as determined, but I already have another career in oil & gas for myself now. I may still get residency next year (just 2 more exams to go) but it's not a deal breaker for me. My plan was to come to Canada get a job, put money in the bank and see where it takes me. So far so good.

Like I said, in the end, to each his own.

10 years ago my cousin said to me as I complained again and again......

Talk so much for what? You have 3 choices:

1) Join politics/grassroots/activist groups take action and change things for the better
2) Migrate
3) Shut up and make the best of what you have

Frankly that was what really sparked it all for me. He was right.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Right about 2 timing and Perth. What started off as a temporary arrangement ends up as permanent arrangement. Siva Choy and his wife Ilsa Sharp were best known for it. The Taiwanese and HongKongers also do the same and are called " astronauts" but they they businessmen who have factories in China etc. Singaporeans on the other hand are salaried and get about 28 days leave.

Interestingly old man youngest son did that for a while.

PS: Many Singaporean would be immigrants start off by "two timing" the country. You know what I mean... it's like a man who wants to leave his wife but needs to find the security of a mistress first and then goes through a long period of maintaining two relationships in order to decide whether mistress would actually be a good replacement for wife. Perth is the favourite destination for this category.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Doc,

Good to see you here. It that time again to help bring out a few hundred/thousand of our brethen out of Singapore to a whole new world. Need all the help.

No thanks needed. Your story and your journey is an inspiration to many. I recall clearly obstacles that you came across and how you eventually overcame them. Along the way, I also recall how some in this forum would slip in questions about medicine, drugs etc.

Also recall Sam dishing out business advice, how to be self employed, how to get around things etc.

Wah scroobal! What go you into this mood? :rolleyes:

How come this thread isn't in the emigration folder?

Like I said, in the end, to each his own.

Frankly that was what really sparked it all for me. He was right.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Right about 2 timing and Perth. What started off as a temporary arrangement ends up as permanent arrangement. Siva Choy and his wife Ilsa Sharp were best known for it. The Taiwanese and HongKongers also do the same and are called " astronauts" but they they businessmen who have factories in China etc. Singaporeans on the other hand are salaried and get about 28 days leave.

Interestingly old man youngest son did that for a while.

It is a natural temptation to do that especially if you have built up good earning power in Singapore. I nearly did that. Came back to Singapore after settling the family in Canada. After 10 days in Singapore we decided better for me to take the plunge and I moved back to be with the family.

To be honest, I was lucky I landed my first job within a month after I took the plunge. To be hanging around not earning money, living off savings, while I could be earning good salary back in Singapore is something that plays with your mind. It is unavoidable for someone who was brought up in Singapore. But thankfully I took the advice forumers here gave. Take any job first! So my first job was assembling PVC window frames in a factory assembly line. It was really a lot of fun actually.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here is one story that I thought captured the picture well about Singaporeans. This guy tendered his resignation at a well known public listed company in Singapore and told the company and colleague he was migrating. Immediately and expectedly people wished him well. What he did not expect was the numerous contacts that was "clandestinely" made by his bosses, colleagues for the next few weeks prior to depature. All these calls were near identical - they called and sought or hinted confidentiality before asking how to migrate, how he did it, whether he could talk to their spouse, family members etc. He also received dinner and lunch invitations on the pretext of bidding farewell but agisn it was about how to migrate and they brough their spouse along.

The single biggest thing in all these contacts was the desire to keep the matter private. The unrational fear of the govt and GCT comment about "quitters" at that time played a big part.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Here is one story that I thought captured the picture well about Singaporeans. This guy tendered his resignation at a well known public listed company in Singapore and told the company and colleague he was migrating. Immediately and expectedly people wished him well. What he did not expect was the numerous contacts that was "clandestinely" made by his bosses, colleagues for the next few weeks prior to depature. All these calls were near identical - they called and sought or hinted confidentiality before asking how to migrate, how he did it, whether he could talk to their spouse, family members etc. He also received dinner and lunch invitations on the pretext of bidding farewell but agisn it was about how to migrate and they brough their spouse along.

The single biggest thing in all these contacts was the desire to keep the matter private. The unrational fear of the govt and GCT comment about "quitters" at that time played a big part.

Well for most people I don't think it would help very much talking to people just leaving.

I often got asked this question, "So what are you going to do there (job)?"

And I often replied "I don't know. Probably just take any job first."

This turns off many professionals eg doctors, lawyers, engineers, accountants etc etc who are incidentally the ones who meet the criteria for skilled migrants.

I remember I attended a meeting where the CEO of the health group happened to be there and he asked me the same question. All my doctor colleagues probably just thought I was crazy but were too polite to tell me.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
What he did not expect was the numerous contacts that was "clandestinely" made by his bosses, colleagues for the next few weeks prior to depature. All these calls were near identical - they called and sought or hinted confidentiality before asking how to migrate

Most emigrants go through the same experience. I was asked exactly the same questions by numerous friends and colleagues. That was 20 years ago. ALL those whom I spent time and effort explaining the process to ARE STILL IN SINGAPORE! I guess I'm not a very good salesman.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Hey Sam, actually what's there to sell? I know some people sell because they want those fellas to come so that they can benefit from their move. You're not one of those guys of course.

But otherwise there is nothing to be gained in helping strangers move out of Singapore.

Singapore isn't that bad a place, in fact it has several plus points. I have always told my friends that migrating isn't necessarily better, but it is certainly different. For those who like change, they just can't stay at one place for too long. I'm kind of like that. The difference for me now is that I don't have to get a PR to move to somewhere different. I can just move to another city.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Over the years, your story, the SATS HR Director who became a pillow stuffer, the RSAF air Traffic Controller who worked in a biscuit factory and a Singapore Ah Lian aged in her late 20s who started a noodle shop became ingredients for my emigration chicken soup stories. Till today, I could not figure out how this Ah Lian qualified to migrate.

To be honest, I was lucky I landed my first job within a month after I took the plunge. To be hanging around not earning money, living off savings, while I could be earning good salary back in Singapore is something that plays with your mind. It is unavoidable for someone who was brought up in Singapore. But thankfully I took the advice forumers here gave. Take any job first! So my first job was assembling PVC window frames in a factory assembly line. It was really a lot of fun actually.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I got many across the divide, maybe I was luckly in talking to those who were seriously keen. I remember I told one chap if he was serious, he would head to the High Commission immediately and pay for $12 at that time for an application form. He did not even finish his coffee, took off like a rocket.

He is now working for Stanchart in Sydney. The funny thing was that I bumped into him by chance and migration was not on his mind. He still reminds of the $12 that was well spent.

Most emigrants go through the same experience. I was asked exactly the same questions by numerous friends and colleagues. That was 20 years ago. ALL those whom I spent time and effort explaining the process to ARE STILL IN SINGAPORE! I guess I'm not a very good salesman.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I see the kids of families that I have helped and how they have prospered brings a sense of fulfillment. Its the young ones that will benefit immensely.

But otherwise there is nothing to be gained in helping strangers move out of Singapore.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
With the PAP holding 72.9% of valid votes and all 87 seats in parliament, I doubt you'll find many genuinely unhappy sinkies yearning for greener pastures abroad.