• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Migration for Successful Singles/Couples

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am aware that has been renewed interests amongst Singaporeans to find greener pastures for various reasons including a better balance, to raise children in a more suitable environment. It is also common knowledge that it requires both parents to work in Singapore to achieve a decent level of living and to be considered a success. Those who are considering a move to the 1st world for a better life, to start a family, or open oneself to wider opportunities.

First Step:
Apply first and then decide if you really want to move when you receive the approval. At least 2 years will go by and you have ample to opportunity to seriously consider. Consult online help from the various immigration authorities, consider private consultants, etc. Most people waste months and years and then find out that the fire had died down, no longer qualify or circumstances have changed.

Second Step:
Do not consult extended families, relatives or even friends. That decision must be made by you and your spouse. I know of numerous cases where extended families and relatives who have applied pressure, forwarded myths and created unnecessary fear. People who are not prepared to be part of the journey should play no part. I have come to this view because of too many such cases where erroneous information has been provided.

Third Step:
After receiving approval for migration, take a flexible approach and suit your needs. Learn to adapt. Give yourself 2 years to settle in. The first job is hardest to land as employers are more comfortable with candidates who have prior experience working in the new country. So lower your expectations, get your foot thru the door and the world becomes your oyster. Interestingly wages in the first world country for many lower end jobs can actually cover your fixed costs (living expenses) quite comfortably.

Here are some pluses to consider but these are not necessities
- a Singapore is well regarded by many 1st world destination country as their work ethics and education is well regarded.
- if you are working for an MNC or an American Company
- If you went to University in a first world country
- if you have undertaken a regional role or where work requires international travel

See next post for various known Destination countries.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
UK, OZ, NZ and Canada are what ones calls tier 1 destination countries. Especially the last 3 which have a fully developed Emigration Programme and are more friendly and easier to enter as they have huge space, few people and welcome people across the spectrum. Together with UK, everything in terms of education, law etc is similar or familiar to Singaporeans. All 4 have excellent health and welfare programmes and no one needs to lose their dignity to seek help. Singapore documentations and certificates are readily accepted.

The US requires a different treatment. It is probably the most popular destination country around the world in view of it status within the world order, innovation, lifestyle etc. One can also buy homes that are alot cheaper than the tier 1 destination countries and interest for home mortgage is tax deductible. Unfortunately, medical care is costly and period of transition is generally longer due to mannerisms, non commonwealth practices etc.

The US Emigration has further complication and an assured PR is not offered unlike the 1st tier destination countries unless you hold a green card. Some work visas such do allow H1B holders to apply for green card while on working in the US. A better way is to convince your employer to apply for EB1 to EB3 visas.

One common advice that seem to resonate amongst Singaporeans who migrate is to find your first home in a suburb that is close to amenities, the city etc. A sense of isolation can be quite depressing for some especially the female gender.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Housing rental in Oz can be an issue for newbie. Easier to put down payment and buy a house. Or else like me kenna rent whatever there is to avoid high cost of hotel stay. Neddy is an expert on properties in oz.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I am aware that has been renewed interests amongst Singaporeans to find greener pastures for various reasons including a better balance, to raise children in a more suitable environment.

12 years ago, I remember being very enthusiastic about helping Singaporeans to emigrate. However, I am now older and wiser and have come to the conclusion that it is better to leave them to slow cook in their own juices in that shit hole Island.

In the process of trying to help sinkies, I developed a new found respect for the Malaysian Chinese, Taiwanese and even the Mainlanders as well as those from the former Eastern bloc. Their "can do" attitude is infectious and it rubbed off on me.

I've already said what needs to be said about the spoon-feed sinkies over the years so I shall not dwell on the matter any further. The only immigrants who are worse than the sinkies are the muslim trash whose sole aim is to get onto the welfare gravy train at the earliest opportunity and have lots of children in order to maximise their return on investment.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is also the issue of our hard earned CPF investments. Even by migrating to a foreign land you would still be prevented from withdrawing your CPF.
For those looking to migrate in their mid to late thirties, their CPF savings can be quite substantial and may act as a disincentive to taking the leap. These are generally the highly skilled 'Brain Drain' professionals that the government is so keen to retain.

This would be a major showstopper for me. I'd rather just take the money with me when I leave.
Understandably, the government makes it as difficult as possible for this group of people to emigrate.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
There is also the issue of our hard earned CPF investments. Even by migrating to a foreign land you would still be prevented from withdrawing your CPF.

Huh??? I closed my CPF account and took out every single cent barely 3 years after I left sinkieland. I was not "prevented" from doing so by anyone. The process was a breeze.

It can be done the very day you get your new citizenship.

This would be a major showstopper for me.

..and this is why sinkies deserve the PAP and their pigeon hole lifestyle.:rolleyes:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't understand Bro.

You can withdraw your CPF in full once you renounce your citizenship. The whole process can be done online and very fast.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think renouncing citizenship is not the issue for me. It's the waiting time to get citizenship of my adopted country which in some cases can take up to 5 years. CPF funds tied up earning close to zero interest for 5 years? I'd rather use the money as a deposit on property in my new country if I could.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I don't understand Bro.

It's one of those myths that he's harboring in order to justify inaction. Singaporeans are full of this sort of shit. It's a sort of comforter myth that helps them make sense of why they can't escape the rut they're in.

M

Mdm Tang

I don't understand Bro.

You can withdraw your CPF in full once you renounce your citizenship. The whole process can be done online and very fast.

Very Good Thread ; but at least 5 years late.

better late than never ...

Title of this thread can be

maybe : For All Those Eligible ...

and those with Relatives there ...

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Getting citizenship can take as long as 5 years as in the case of the UK. Why should let my hard earned savings fester in a dormant CPF account earning next to no interest?

So you'd prefer to leave it to "fester" till you kick the bucket instead?????:eek:

Good Gawd I can't believe what I'm reading.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sam, I can't help it and I am sure you are doing more than your fair share by running this forum. I can tell you my guessitimate is
- 10 out of 10 want a better life
- 9 out of 10 have considered at one point in their life to migrate to a 1st world country
- 8 out of 10 will jump at the chance if all the ducks are lined up
- 7 out of 10 consider too many things including extended families, relatives, friends which should never be part of the equation.
- 6 out of 10 feel that they cannot leave their parents (not sure if this is an excuse)
- 5 out of 10 cannot get their spouse to agree
- 4 out of 10 are simply scared to move out of the comfort zone. Risk adverse till the very end
- 3 out of 10 have viable business or a job which they are afraid to let go
- 2 out of 10 genuinely think they do not qualify and give up.
- 1 out of 10 do not qualify

12 years ago, I remember being very enthusiastic about helping Singaporeans to emigrate. However, I am now older and wiser and have come to the conclusion that it is better to leave them to slow cook in their own juices in that shit hole Island.

In the process of trying to help sinkies, I developed a new found respect for the Malaysian Chinese, Taiwanese and even the Mainlanders as well as those from the former Eastern bloc. Their "can do" attitude is infectious and it rubbed off on me.

I've already said what needs to be said about the spoon-feed sinkies over the years so I shall not dwell on the matter any further. The only immigrants who are worse than the sinkies are the muslim trash whose sole aim is to get onto the welfare gravy train at the earliest opportunity and have lots of children in order to maximise their return on investment.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
One misconception is the qualifications for entry. There are many ways. Never give up. In the 90s, Australia literally banned doctors by automatically awarding demerit points. This forum has seen a medical doctor who after many attempts found a new life for him and his family in Canada. I know a medical doctor who gave up his profession and worked in the pharmaceutical industry for 2 years to qualify without the demerit points. He did it for his autistic son. I know a lady who ran a shop at But Timah and when business was bad, sought advice here, found a sponsor here and migrated to Melbourne. I know a Hairdresser who did the same. I know a guy who was restaurant manager in a hotel who found out that chef were in demand. He promptly enrolled in Shatec, became a chef and migrated.

If the mountain does not come to Mo, then Mo must head to the mountain.

Very Good Thread ; but at least 5 years late.

better late than never ...

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Sam, I can't help it and I am sure you are doing more than your fair share by running this forum.

Pray tell me what sort of category this "Chanster" character falls under.

He's very attached to his CPF savings and he has the idea that if he's physically located in Singapore close to his CPF account, he's in some sort of better position to "take care" of his funds whereas if he emigrates, the distance between him and the CPF building will result in his funds "festering" and he's too far away to do anything about it.

I can understand him not wanting to leave his cat behind but the nurturing attitude he displays towards his CPF savings needs a bit of explaining to me as I'm absolutely unable to comprehend his logic.

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
My advice to those contemplating emigration. If any answers to the following below is YES then STAY ON IN S'PORE
1. If one has been happy in S'pore ie (letting the govt do all the planning, thinking and holding your money-CPF for you)

2. Those who only know how to work for someone else and can only survive perpetually as an employee and NEVER as a self employed individual.

3. Those who can only survive on eating out at hawker centres and CANNOT even cook a decent meal.

4. Those who can ONLY speak Mandarin and SINGLISH, stay in S'pore or maybe CHINA/Taiwan.

5. Those who really CANNOT survive without a maid to do household chores..

6. Those who always feel inferior to ANGMOHs, fear any form of perceived racism; no matter how insignificant and feel comfortable only when in the company of one's race being dominant.

7. Those who are "kiasu" and "kiasi" to the core, to play safe, stay at home

8. Those who hate mowing the lawn, gardening and doing simple DIY household repairs and maintenance.

9. Those who find travelling from say Changi Point(home) to Tuas(workplace) a major inconvenience, you ain't seen nothing yet when you emigrate.

Lastly, don't expect a red carpet rolling out for you when you attend a job interview..The interviewer also knows absolutely nothing about you and your proud heritage. NUS is unknown to your new AngMo boss. Being educated in "Raffles Institution" opens doors in Singapore but means precious little to AngMo boss.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
8. Those who hate mowing the lawn, gardening and doing simple DIY household repairs and maintenance.

I hate mowing lawns. I did that for 5 months as a source of income when I first arrived in OZ.

You know as well as I do that 99% of Singaporeans will answer "yes' to every single one of your questions. :p

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, you are mistaken. In the mid 80s, the Govt did a study and realised that emigration was actually fueled by CPF nest egg. It actually outstripped the money that was paid out for death cases.

I will explain why. Someone who remains in Singapore until the withdrawal age cannot touch a cent in CPF except for Housinga and investment. Its a closed loop.

If that person migrates in his late 30s. He would have to wait for between 2 to 5 years before he can withdraw his full sum. That withdrawn sum can fully pay his house and he invest the remainder in a better returning investment vehicle. That fully paid house is not a HDB flat but a bungalow with garagebwith 2 cars etc.

It became so bad that the Govt actually contemplated enacting the same rules that apply to West Malaysians even if they leave Singapore for good. That rule has actually help retain many Malaysians to continue to work in Singapore as they cannot withdraw the money even if they left.

In essence, the CPF is actually a push factor and is significantly fueling the emigration which runs contrary to your point. Yet another factor fueling migration is the high HDB prices. In the late 90s, when double story masionettes hit 750k, many moved overseas. $250k got them a solid bungalow and the rest went into investment.

This would be a major showstopper for me. I'd rather just take the money with me when I leave.
Understandably, the government makes it as difficult as possible for this group of people to emigrate.