• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

All about cars in Malaysia

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Most economical car to drive between JB and Singapore

What about perodua? Get the old Kelisa nice and fast.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal

1. Servicing is done cheaply in JB..
2. JB has most of the parts.. (avoid imported parts)..

Are proton made cars good?... I heard pretty problematic..

I have the following in mind,

1) Kia Cereto
2) Hyundai Avante ( I heard the spare parts hard to find in JB)..
3) Proton Persona
4) Proton Savvy..
5) Kia - Piccanto..

What else?

Come come, share your experience.

Bro, don't get the Piccanto. It's small and easily gets bullied on the roads, both in Singapore and also on the NSH. Fuel consumption in city driving I heard is also not very good because it's an under capacity car, especially the automatic version.

Proton Savvy is already phasing out. Although it uses a Renault engine, but it's also true that the transmission is quite problematic if you don't know how to take care. Avoid if possible.

Proton Persona is well suited for a family of 4. Parts are readily available in Malaysia, even for chiong parts. Now they have the latest P3-21A but only launching in Malaysia. Its engine capacity is 1.6 litre but with turbo, thus giving the performance of a 2-litre engine.

It's also true that Korean cars have poor resale values. If their starting prices are lower, they would be worth considering though.

In summary, a sedan car is better for outstation travel in Malaysia because the boot can safely accommodate your luggage from open eyes and theft. If it's a hatchback (like those from Perodua), the small boot may be insufficient or too small for your luggage and there will be theft risks if you leave your luggage on the rear seats, even if they are folded down because they will be exposed to open eyes and especially in Malaysia, it's not worth this risk. That is why I didn't choose the cars from Perodua for this reason because all their cars presently don't have a proper boot, although their engines should be more reliable.

Last edited:

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro, don't get the Piccanto. It's small and easily gets bullied on the roads, both in Singapore and also on the NSH. Fuel consumption in city driving I heard is also not very good because it's an under capacity car, especially the automatic version.

Proton Savvy is already phasing out. Although it uses a Renault engine, but it's also true that the transmission is quite problematic if you don't know how to take care. Avoid if possible.

Proton Persona is well suited for a family of 4. Parts are readily available in Malaysia, even for chiong parts. Now they have the latest P3-21A but only launching in Malaysia. Its engine capacity is 1.6 litre but with turbo, thus giving the performance of a 2-litre engine.

It's also true that Korean cars have poor resale values. If their starting prices are lower, they would be worth considering though.

In summary, a sedan car is better for outstation travel in Malaysia because the boot can safely accommodate your luggage from open eyes and theft. If it's a hatchback (like those from Perodua), the small boot may be insufficient or too small for your luggage and there will be theft risks if you leave your luggage on the rear seats, even if they are folded down because they will be exposed to open eyes and especially in Malaysia, it's not worth this risk. That is why I didn't choose the cars from Perodua for this reason because all their cars presently don't have a proper boot, although their engines should be more reliable.

I agree with winners on the under power part, do not really like less than 1.6L cars.

Also, the boot is important for us too, for the same reasons. If not, I will very much like Toyota Hilux and the sporty hatchbacks. Unless, got extra Rm for more cars :wink:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

All good points, i used the better type of solar film for the boot area for my MPVs. Alza has a very small boot if it can be considered a boot at all but engine is really ok even though it was detuned. The better ones are so good that the rear boot and sides of the rear boot cannot be seen into at all as its a reflective type. Unless one shines a very very strong torch at night, else you can't see much. I do agree about the sedan and especially the Persona is a good choice to get. The new version of Exora (Prime) is good too.

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal

I will take note of persona, exora(prime)..

most likely i will have to just get a red plate... since living in jb, most of the time will be there.. 5am leave JB house and leave office by 7pm.. should avoid the S$20 charges...

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal

I would suggest not getting a Proton as:
1. They are high on the list of marked vehicles
2. Their spare parts are not cheap
3. They are not reliable
But this is for the older models. The newer ones like the Saga may be better.

I think it is prudent like you said to get a red plate but you should also buy a 2nd hand vehicle. I would say go for Japanese. Parts aplenty and easy to service/maintain.

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal

Exora-Prime-01.jpg
Exora-Prime-02.jpg

my choice - Proton Exora Prime

Last edited:

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal

I remain silent because all the cars quoted are above my budget.
Proton Exora cost like S$65,000 for OPC.. (2nd hand)

how to afford siah.. ?

economical cars, dont seems like it
:(

Nasi Lemak

Alfrescian
Loyal

how to afford siah.. ?

Ai yoh ... Bro ... Simple ...
Get a good malaysia plate car . Hire a freelance mat ...
Afterall you are not going to drive in sg everyday rite ?

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal

how to afford siah.. ?

If u really want a cheap sg plate car, buy a cherry QQ car la!! But heard its not so good , just now went to tesco bukit indah saw the car dealer, the sales guy Alan, very friendly guy, he even let me test drive a brand new exora. Very powerful reverse got video on rear mirror. I going to get one. !!! Dun know should I wait for permit approve 1st or not???? I moving in early, I think just go ahead la.... Got no choice already!!! I will just engage any relative of my friend to drive me and my family once a month out for u turn. Sg cars cannot buy one, COE really make owning a car a more stressful one!! Just now went in the custom guy very good!!! Was on his phone!!!

MY is good for all the way go,go,go.!!

SG is no go no go no go!!! Just buy a proton exora in MY then ask someone to drive u out in case of emergency , just pay $$50 finish stories. I still have to ask around about the auto pass, heard have to produce car ownership, maybe dun need , just tag on the plate ok Liao......

Installments for 7years if I pay 20k upfront so they earn less interest,, one month I only pay 600plus rm!!!! 300 plus sing !!!! Better than an OPC!!!!! Brand new mpv, turbo charged CFE engine ..... It's all to go!!! Heard got to wait 1 month......Sian... Insurances , plate no. Road tax , all included.....

The sales guy very funny guy, always laugh, very friendly..... Not like some sales person in sg...... Stuck up and look down ppl if u take the cheapest unit !!!!! As I was using my friend's car so I very rush... If not will go around HH.......luckily I got GPS if not really lost my way!!!! Oh ya, they giving me one more GPS unit for free !!! Where to find???? So cheap car, no COE, so many things FREE!!! RM80k very good buy! Saw the engine part, really better than the old model! Can't wait to move there and live happily!!!!!

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ai yoh ... Bro ... Simple ...
Get a good malaysia plate car . Hire a freelance mat ...
Afterall you are not going to drive in sg everyday rite ?

Totally agree with bro NaSi lemak!!!!!

Last edited:

Nasi Lemak

Alfrescian
Loyal

Installments for 7years if I pay 20k upfront so they earn less interest,, one month I only pay 600plus rm!!!! 300 plus sing !!!! Better than an OPC!!!!! Brand new mpv, turbo charged CFE engine ..... It's all to go!!! Heard got to wait 1 month......Sian... Insurances , plate no. Road tax , all included........

eh bro.. you really want to buy proton car ?
The QC in Malaysia and their exported version have a lot of difference oh...
of course the display unit is always very nice and good. I read from some forums before, some people in UK complaint about the Wira exported series, and Proton gave their customer a one to one exchange. Whereas in Mudland ??? haha.. wait long long ...

They give you so many free stuffs is because the market demand is lousy ... lol :biggrin:
Ask any Malaysians, they will tell you Proton is a NO NO car ... i would say 90% of them... :biggrin:

I am not trying to scare you bro... but this is the car i will definitely blacklist no matter what model.... :biggrin:

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal

eh bro.. you really want to buy proton car ?
The QC in Malaysia and their exported version have a lot of difference oh...
of course the display unit is always very nice and good. I read from some forums before, some people in UK complaint about the Wira exported series, and Proton gave their customer a one to one exchange. Whereas in Mudland ??? haha.. wait long long ...

They give you so many free stuffs is because the market demand is lousy ... lol :biggrin:
Ask any Malaysians, they will tell you Proton is a NO NO car ... i would say 90% of them... :biggrin:

I am not trying to scare you bro... but this is the car i will definitely blacklist no matter what model.... :biggrin:

So bro wat do u suggest??? Cheap big and good......

Nasi Lemak

Alfrescian
Loyal

So bro wat do u suggest??? Cheap big and good......

erm.. Perodua Alza ? not as big as Exora , but to me is more reliable.
Well you can go ahead with Exora , don't know whether if Proton really upgraded their QC standard...

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal

The car salesman recommends me the Proton Exora Bold Premium, which has 7 seaters and CFE turbocharged CVT engine, while Prime model same engine but only 6 seaters.

Bro WUqi, do u think it's a good buy???

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

The car salesman recommends me the Proton Exora Bold Premium, which has 7 seaters and CFE turbocharged CVT engine, while Prime model same engine but only 6 seaters.

Bro WUqi, do u think it's a good buy???

If you need the space, then yes it is. Cheap good and big, only this one probably as none others are close. If size isn't an issue, i will still go with the Alza actually. Drinks petrol as if just sipping :smile:

Btw, for bros with Hyundai Starex, someone just tested going up to Genting (Uphill on D without downshifting) and back without refuelling with enough left to go to any fuel station in Bukit Indah to refuel.

Last edited:

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal

If you need the space, then yes it is. Cheap good and big, only this one probably as none others are close. If size isn't an issue, i will still go with the Alza actually. Drinks petrol as if just sipping :smile:

Btw, for bros with Hyundai Starex, someone just tested going up to Genting (Uphill on D without downshifting) and back without refuelling with enough left to go to any fuel station in Bukit Indah to refuel.

Will read more on Alza and exora. It's better to get a big car, I got 3 kids, when they grow bigger size so dun need to change car anymore! Alza heard using Toyota engine, exora any bros know what engine they used? Maybe design from Lotus.....?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBaNnce-Vds&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBaNnce-Vds&feature=related

Last edited:

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal

why no one have ever recommended Kia Picanto, Perodua Kenari / Perodua Kelisa and Cherry QQ? ..

Hyundai Getz also no one ever recommend as budget..

maybe forum people are all rich, thats why dont go for compact budget cars :(