• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

All about cars in Malaysia

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Reliable mechanic? Mr Satu Malaysia

Hmm, to be honest, those 20/30 pt checklist is only useful if the SG mechanics actually carry it out rather than go through the motion. I have seen workshops that supposedly carry out oil changes but did not or never replace oil filter or other similar cases which is why I prefer to be present to oversee the work regardless in SG or MY. Takes up time but safer if you take the long term view.

Its is true, happened to me before. The checklist allows you recourse with the workshop if you discover the "short-cut". Hopefully it did not damage the car beyond that "oversight" or cause you to be in danger.

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shit happnes on the road, what should you do when your vehicle breakdown ?

Lets say, on the expressway?

Be it towards Singapore or Bukit Indah area...

Any important number that we can call?

What if the handphone is on prepaid card, and the phone do not allow call out?..

What to do? ..

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Re: Shit happnes on the road, what should you do when your vehicle breakdown ?

Lets say, on the expressway?

Be it towards Singapore or Bukit Indah area...

Any important number that we can call?

What if the handphone is on prepaid card, and the phone do not allow call out?..

What to do? ..

Yes, call your mechanic and he will know a tow truck handy. There are also emergency phones though you will have to walk abit.
Thats why i always stress having your car checked out regularly to avoid any breakdowns.

There are lots of tow truck services, typically its about 100 RM

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, call your mechanic and he will know a tow truck handy. There are also emergency phones though you will have to walk abit.
Thats why i always stress having your car checked out regularly to avoid any breakdowns.

burst tyres a bit hard to avoid as many pot holes in malaysia road....

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal

any numbers u can share for bros and sisters here? haa :biggrin:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

burst tyres a bit hard to avoid as many pot holes in malaysia road....

Potholes should not in normal circumstances cause burst tyres, old and under inflated tyres will especially when driving fast and also for long distances.
Thats what happen to those lorry truck or trailer tyres that you see sometimes pieces of on the highway.

Potholes can cause severe damage to your rims which if ruptured may then scratch or tear your tyres.

Aisanbo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Your car insurance should cover JB right?
There should be a list of qualified JB workshops that you can use and some numbers for towing service provided by insurance company.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

I will reply to your PM about maid contacts as well as his number.

Quite a few people called him and didn't go down in the end, some he said disturbed him and asked him not to spoil market for Singapore "tong hang" (same line)

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most economical car to drive between JB and Singapore

1. Servicing is done cheaply in JB..
2. JB has most of the parts.. (avoid imported parts)..

Are proton made cars good?... I heard pretty problematic..

I have the following in mind,

1) Kia Cereto
2) Hyundai Avante ( I heard the spare parts hard to find in JB)..
3) Proton Persona
4) Proton Savvy..
5) Kia - Piccanto..

What else?

Come come, share your experience.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Most economical car to drive between JB and Singapore

Are proton made cars good?... I heard pretty problematic..

I have the following in mind,

1) Kia Cereto
2) Hyundai Avante ( I heard the spare parts hard to find in JB)..
3) Proton Persona
4) Proton Savvy..
5) Kia - Piccanto..

What else?

Nissan Sunny, Lancer, Subaru? See alot of these cars crossing the causeway, especially Lancer.

Nasi Lemak

Alfrescian
Loyal

What else?

Why bro ... Backside itchy already ?
Wanna upgrade to 4 wheels ? :biggrin:
Sold your bike ? :biggrin:

Malaysians themselves stayed away from proton. Is a No no car ...:(

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why bro ... Backside itchy already ?
Wanna upgrade to 4 wheels ? :biggrin:
Sold your bike ? :biggrin:

Malaysians themselves stayed away from proton. Is a No no car ...:(

No lah.. cus i gonna upgrade sooner or later..

my parents are old. like aged 70 and aged 73.. i just wonder how do i get them to Singapore without a car when they come here quarterly for their medical check up..

i have yet sold my bike, bike is still very economical - as we can see how many malaysians compute to singapore via bike..
bike is good for me to travel in singapore to work..

i am still thinking whether should i get a normal plate or a red plate car...

Nasi Lemak

Alfrescian
Loyal

my parents are old. like aged 70 and aged 73.. i just wonder how do i get them to Singapore without a car when they come here quarterly for their medical check up..

i have yet sold my bike, bike is still very economical - as we can see how many malaysians compute to singapore via bike..

I see .. Good to bring your parents there .
More space and air to breath .
Get a red plate bro. No need waste so much money . Balance can get a new MY car :smile:
My opinion still Perodua is the best car if you can get . Better than proton a lot. Best economical for fuel consumption and maintenaince . :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

I see .. Good to bring your parents there .
More space and air to breath .
Get a red plate bro. No need waste so much money . Balance can get a new MY car :smile:
My opinion still Perodua is the best car if you can get . Better than proton a lot. Best economical for fuel consumption and maintenaince . :smile:

Heartily agreed, bro LGlab is a good lad. Agreed that Perodua is good, the new version Proton Exora isn't too bad if you like MPVs. My fav small MPV is still the Perodua Alza though. Its a nice car to drive.

Btw, bro LGlab, my wife said agent has somehow disappeared (not meeting new govt regulations? We are still guessing) and not longer at their place near Holiday Plaza. All existing maids with my friends/tenants are ok though. I shall find you another.

Hitesh

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think riding a bike is still dangerous looking at the traffic and the frequent accidents ...... public transport would be better atleast less risky

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal

How about exora prime ?? Latest version....
With turbo charge.

I tot of getting a red plate but think of COE might as well take a cab from sg then take another cab back home in MY... Go back maybe once a month so better not waste money for SG cars unless everyday have to fetch family back to sg..

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal

Buying SG car, if between Kia and Hyundai, I will prefer Hyundai for better after sales service by agent. You can do what wuqi do, buy buying the part from Sgp and have it fixed in JB.

Buying MY Car, you may want to consider a MPV due to your needs (parents, wife and baby).
Easy getting in and out of the MPV maybe a consideration, such as sliding door vs the normal door.

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal

I would appreciate if some car brands and model can be shared... i am really a nutty on cars..
My colleague here, asking me to get a cheap kia piccanto.. he said very cheap to maintain..

i think i would get a red plate, since we are leaving JB early and then we can still use red plate when are on leave in JB..

For emergency case, just pay S$20 and we are back in SG..

i think that is economical..

my friend just bought a proton savvy, 1 year later he sell it because gear box faulty...
repair cost around 3000RM..

he just change to a kia cerato..