• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

All about cars in Malaysia

Pgsg7766

Re: VEP Registration

my family plan to drive to Msia during sept school holiday, using my BIL's 9yrs old car (as we 'think' safer to drive an old car in). My bil currently working in overseas now and I'm taking over his car for time being until the Coe expired early next year. As such I've tried to register the car on behalf of him for vep, since I intend to drive his car into Msia, but not sure if there will be any prob such as during collection of tag or entering Msia since I'm not the car owner... Anyone can advise? Thanks!

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sorry I blur blur, but can someone help me understand...

1. We have until Aug 31 to register our car - failing which we can't enter Malaysia from Sept onwards (big problem since we are daily commuters)
2. RM20 VEP scheduled to start Oct 1 onwards because Sept is "free" for cars to enter
3. RFID tag to be issued next year

So between Sept to whenever the RFID tags are issued - how will they know if our car is already registered or not? I thought the RFID tag is the ONLY instrument to match car with owner.

I'm dreading the first few days/weeks of this implementation...

So is Malaysia telling us after Aug 31, they will not accept any more car registration even for new Singapore car buyers ? They gonna reject them from entering and be happy collecting taxes and tracking the current pool of Singapore car owners who registered before 1st Sep 2015? Are they calling bluff again?

Legolad

Alfrescian
Loyal

So is Malaysia telling us after Aug 31, they will not accept any more car registration even for new Singapore car buyers ? They gonna reject them from entering and be happy collecting taxes and tracking the current pool of Singapore car owners who registered before 1st Sep 2015? Are they calling bluff again?

VEP (Vehicle Entry Permit) and RC (Road Charge) are different things. You register for VEP by end Aug (maybe there's an extension (see post #735) but no updates to date). Some classes of vehicles are exempted from paying the RC but must still need to register for the VEP (see attached article).

If no VEP, you can still enter Msia but you will need to pay a penalty fee of RM150 upon leaving Msia. (see Q1.9 of the FAQ in the VEP web site). (This contradicts the info given in the Star newspaper, that vehicles not registered with VEP will be refused entry, see attached article)

For new cars, you need to register first before entering CIQ.

For RC, need to tap your Touch and Go card at CIQ.

Hope this helps.

Msia VEP Oct 2015.png

Last edited:

Legolad

Alfrescian
Loyal

my family plan to drive to Msia during sept school holiday, using my BIL's 9yrs old car (as we 'think' safer to drive an old car in). My bil currently working in overseas now and I'm taking over his car for time being until the Coe expired early next year. As such I've tried to register the car on behalf of him for vep, since I intend to drive his car into Msia, but not sure if there will be any prob such as during collection of tag or entering Msia since I'm not the car owner... Anyone can advise? Thanks!

Read the "About VEP" page on the web site. In the box, it says, "Authorisation letter (if owner cannot be present)".

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

alleyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal

VEP (Vehicle Entry Permit) and RC (Road Charge) are different things. You register for VEP by end Aug (maybe there's an extension (see post #735) but no updates to date). Some classes of vehicles are exempted from paying the RC but must still need to register for the VEP (see attached article).

If no VEP, you can still enter Msia but you will need to pay a penalty fee of RM150 upon leaving Msia. (see Q1.9 of the FAQ in the VEP web site). (This contradicts the info given in the Star newspaper, that vehicles not registered with VEP will be refused entry, see attached article)

For new cars, you need to register first before entering CIQ.

For RC, need to tap your Touch and Go card at CIQ.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 23318

Bro abit confuse.

So can i register next mth instead since i wont be heading to JB this mth?

Legolad

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro abit confuse.

So can i register next mth instead since i wont be heading to JB this mth?

As long as you do it before trying to enter Msia, should be OK. The end Aug deadline is for people intending to drive in from 1 Sept onwards. If they are not registered, they may be refused entry or be fined on exit.
In any case, registering is free, so why wait? Better to get it done with, print a copy & keep the documents and confirmation email in your car when you go into Msia.

Hope this helps.

alleyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal

As long as you do it before trying to enter Msia, should be OK. The end Aug deadline is for people intending to drive in from 1 Sept onwards. If they are not registered, they may be refused entry or be fined on exit.
In any case, registering is free, so why wait? Better to get it done with, print a copy & keep the documents and confirmation email in your car when you go into Msia.

Hope this helps.

Done! Couple days ago.

Tks bro

Ruffled

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi folks,

Any checking for Singapore registered cars entering JB? The mandatory registration for Sg cars suppose to start 1 Sep. Wondering if there is any delay or impact of the checking of Sg cars.

Thks

smallestdog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just wondering if it is possible to buy a reasonable used car for RM8k-RM10k for occasional weekend use in JB ? Just need it not to break down often or require expensive repairs like a new transmission.

I don't mind the 10 year old cars I see on Carslist and Mudah in this price range but most are from second hand dealers and I am sure these are pretty much the same breed as those in Singapore.

Despera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Anyway , today is 1st Sept, so wondering if anyone actually got stopped going in.
I have been trying to access the website and I can't get into it till date, hence, I did not manage to register my vehicle. On Wednesday, 2 Sep, I drove in my unregistered car to JB via Woodlands and no one checked my car whether it has been registered. During my return trip, I wasn't checked either nor anyone has asked me to pay for fine.

I need to drive in this weekend again and I wonder whether it will be the same.

matix

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi folks,

Any checking for Singapore registered cars entering JB? The mandatory registration for Sg cars suppose to start 1 Sep. Wondering if there is any delay or impact of the checking of Sg cars.

Thks

Just entered no problem

Aviator

Alfrescian
Loyal
So far no checks
Entered today

Been trying a few occasions to log in but somehow cannot access!
Really BOLEH!

ymike27

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Bros and Sis,

Kindly please recommend a good tyre shop at around Bukit Indah / Bestari area. TQ !

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was in the news. Registration deadline postponed to 1 Oct, as only 50,000 vehicles out of 500,000 vehicles had registered.....

Good sign. Keep the registration numbers low and down. Not worth to register especially if you have been screaming down NS Highway at Ferrari speed; once you registered, your won't be able to escape from your flippant past driving behaviour in Malaysia. It will be payback time for you. Is Malaysia that worth visiting now that they hunting you down for your past behaviour and charging you for your future patronage?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mulling over a new car vs used car in JB when my Singapore car gets scrapped next year. What are the brothers' experiences and choices made in this area? What kind of loan quantum and loan duration can a Singaporean get on a new car or a used one, can share?:smile:

Last edited: