• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

If you don't earn more then 300K a year in Australia you are poor.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: If you don't earn more then 300K a year in Australia you are poor.ain

Typical rental situation in Sydney. People want to live 15min to the city. Guess how that affects rental price then?

http://smh.domain.com.au/relocation-relocation-a-vocation-key-to-renting-in-competitive--sydney-20120614-20c8s.html

Relocation, relocation, a vocation: key to renting in competitive Sydney
Stephanie Gardiner
June 14, 2012 - 3:35PM
Read laterComments 109

Where to go next? It takes persistence and preparation to find a new rental home in competitive Sydney.
As I opened a letter from my real-estate agent, I crossed my fingers for a rent rise.

Along with defamation suits and huntsman spiders, finding a new place to rent in Sydney is one of my worst fears.

I would prefer to pay more rent, have a surprise inspection, or even hand my husband over in an Indecent Proposal-style deal with a real-estate agent than have to navigate the wilds of the city's rental market.

Advertisement: Story continues below
But there it was in a sad little letter: our landlord, who was also our neighbour and the owner of the cafe we lived behind, had given us three months to move out. He told us later it was because the chef needed somewhere to live.

We assumed the poor chef must have lost his fingers, eyes and brain in one of those tragic eggs Benedict-related accidents you hear so much about, leaving him incapable of browsing rental websites.

Deciding on a maximum $450 a week for a one-bedroom unit, we spent five long weeks going to inspections well-dressed, polite and armed with copies of our passports, bank statements, pay slips, tax returns and completed application forms.

To some, $450 a week might seem like a lot, but, according to Australian Property Monitors' latest report, it is the median weekly asking rent in Sydney.

We quickly found that price often gets you very little, especially if you need to be reasonably close to the city and public transport.

There was a teeny unit in Chippendale for $430 with no oven nor space for a fridge. The description should have read: "A great place to keep your dog!"

A place in Camperdown for $450 was lovely, but obviously made for one person with nothing to bring with them but a goldfish and a "Keep Calm and Carry On" poster.

The weekend inspections were predictably awful, having to stand in line with 30 other people.

At one inspection in Chippendale on a Saturday morning the line went around the corner and down an entire block, only for the real-estate agent to cancel at the very last minute.

An hour later I was alarmed to be the only person at an inspection for a $450 a week "funky warehouse" near Redfern.

The poor real-estate agent was soon accosted by the tenant, who came running down the street yelling at her to stop the inspection, complaining about being unexpectedly kicked out.

We looked almost everywhere we could think of near the city and in the inner west - Stanmore, Petersham, Lewisham, Marrickville, Leichhardt, Annandale and Glebe.

By our third week of looking, real-estate agents started recognising us and would kindly point us to units that might suit.

We applied for plenty of places, but missed out at least once because someone else had offered to pay more rent.

As time wore on we started looking in areas we had assumed we couldn't afford - the posher parts of the eastern suburbs and north shore, as well as Balmain and Rozelle.

Surprisingly we found you get more bang for your buck in those areas, with better quality apartments that have more space.

Eventually we ended up being approved for a beautiful one-bedroom flat in Balmain, the result of persistence, enthusiasm and a bit of luck.

It even has a private outdoor space - something I didn't think I would have in Sydney until my death.

The experts' view:

Real-estate agents say Sydney's rental market is particularly competitive at the moment and tenants have to be proactive in their approach.

Jeremy Martin, the managing director of Martin Property, said more and more people were treating renting like the job market and compiling professional-looking resumes.

"They've got all the information there and they make it as easy as possible for the property manager to approve their applications."

Mr Martin said his agency encouraged prospective tenants to join their Facebook page and be included on their email database.

"My advice is, if you've missed out on a property, then go and see that property manager and ask them why you missed out.

"The tenants need to be proactive ... then they can tinker with their approach for the next property."

Real Estate Institute of NSW president Christian Payne, a Cronulla real-estate agent, said many people were now well-versed on turning up to inspections with the necessary documents and being prepared to pay more rent.

"When it comes to the property management, we see lots of suitable tenants. We just have to say 'yes' to one of them and everyone else is disappointed.

"There's a lack of supply of rental accommodation; that's what it boils down to.

"It's continuing to remain low ... and there's still upward pressure on rents. That's not good news for tenants."

The best way to up your chances of finding a rental is to introduce yourself to real-estate agents in the areas you're interested in, Mr Payne said.

"At the end of the day get your best references, get [your application] all ready and make it easy.

"Persistence, I guess, pays off.

"If people are willing to compromise ... on one of those things they're looking for, ultimately you'll find a property."

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
get that shit alot too...asians always get bullied at workplace....

Not true. As long as anyone do not speak up, or confront the bully, they will always be bullied, even by the puppy.

Bullying is frowned on in the workplace, and the law is tough. See what happen to that Slipper guy in Parliament.

Many angmos are weaklings who put up brave front as well. Their brains are not as developed, esp after eaten up by alcohol.

Also, they depend on mates for numbers, and those lefty migrants from UK (including the PM Juliar) are pissed scared of competition in the globalised world. They need more opium - oops - alcohol to calm their nerves.

Read this ...
http://kangaroocourtofaustralia.com...past-the-fairfax-media-and-news-corp-scandal/

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
As for me, not too bad lah.. In my 4 years with the company, I managed to get my boss sacked, her close allied 2 pax resigned.. now the last (old) man standing applied for 6mths stress leave. All old men got promoted to the next band level except this old man.

Lesson learned - never mess with the Ah Beng Rebellious Asian Dude ! haha.. (my life ain't any good too, 两败局伤 !)

get that shit alot too...asians always get bullied at workplace....

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro,
lim xin ho pi hai shang eh bo lang wu si KI wu si LOH! Ho yun pai yun chong mai jiao ki kang lai kia!

As for me, not too bad lah.. In my 4 years with the company, I managed to get my boss sacked, her close allied 2 pax resigned.. now the last (old) man standing applied for 6mths stress leave. All old men got promoted to the next band level except this old man.

Lesson learned - never mess with the Ah Beng Rebellious Asian Dude ! haha.. (my life ain't any good too, 两败局伤 !)

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: If you don't earn more then 300K a year in Australia you are poor.ain

I did not notice that bit of detail.

But I guess I should have known...just like Labor would prop up overpaid and underworked blue collars (FHOB, FHOG), Libs will always prop up expensive and uncompetitive businesses (Construction, Manufacturing).

I will always remember the Howard years when Telstra held ransom the entire country with their copper lines, actually INCREASING internet charges YOY while always crying poor about "increasing maintenance costs".

BTW, loved it when they asked Krudd what he had to say about that Mexican crook leaving Telstra: "Adios!"

That's why elections is the vote between the lesser of two evils. Either taxes go up up and up (Labor) or living costs go up up and up (Liberals). I think end of the day though, we may still need another term of Labor to duke it out with the Banks.

High time those bunch of scalpers woke up and felt some REAL competition.

I believe the history of ALP is that somewhere during the Hawke/Keating Banana Economy years, Labor hijacked the Liberal agenda and reformed the Aus economy - leaving the Libs with a less "liberal" (meaning centre-left social liberal) and more conservative agenda.

The problem with Labor is that the factions junkies, and party apparatchchiks are pushed to the top jobs over talents. Japan pollies are good example of where Labor is bringing their blend of govt - nowhere!

Liberal party tend to choose people with real experience, i.e. working outside the protected environment of unions or public/community sector aquariums. Policies like re-nationalisation of Quantas, sudden ban of live cattle export, setting up half the world's marine conservation park and carbon tax. It means living costs will go up together with tax increases. It is also a throwback to the pre-Hawke/Keating era.

I suspect resigned WA Treasurer Christian Porter is one of those ambitious talented pollie that Liberals do not want to lose. Rather than waiting in WA for a possible Liberal govt defeat, he is headhunted to Fed politics.

Last edited:

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not true. As long as anyone do not speak up, or confront the bully, they will always be bullied, even by the puppy.

Bullying is frowned on in the workplace, and the law is tough. See what happen to that Slipper guy in Parliament.

Many angmos are weaklings who put up brave front as well. Their brains are not as developed, esp after eaten up by alcohol.

Also, they depend on mates for numbers, and those lefty migrants from UK (including the PM Juliar) are pissed scared of competition in the globalised world. They need more opium - oops - alcohol to calm their nerves.

Read this ...
http://kangaroocourtofaustralia.com...past-the-fairfax-media-and-news-corp-scandal/

totally...in the past i was afraid to confront or speak up....got bullied....was afraid of losing ma job or future prospect in the organisation....well.. now i just talk back...or go to HR straight away....

Last edited:

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal

how did you do it bro?? shoud share some good pointers.....

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed, some times the best defence is a good offence. There is an ang moh manager that likes to bully people, not just Asians here. His kah kia, a new migrant from Malaysia, always gets bullied by him. Once in a while he requires "help" from me. I've learned from experience that when that happens just confront him even before he opens his mouth. This means once you are done, email, tell him straight you are finished and this is what is going to happen etc etc. Also "politely" ask if there is anything that needs to be done.

totally...in the past i was afraid to confront or speak up....got bullied....was afraid of losing ma job or future prospect in the organisation....well.. now i just talk back...or go to HR straight away....

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Good one.

My experiences ... if you are bullied in an Australian workplace, and the bully is kind of unreasonable or dumb. Try to find out the people behind the bully. You may find his/her respected mate who seem to be a reasonable bloke. Just let him know that the bully is affecting your life and hope he can persuade the bully to stop before you raise the matter up the official channel.

Of course, if these people laugh at you, you can go straight to HR or ... even ... Channel 7.

But usually, that mate will help out and "come to me if your manager bully you again".
This Aussie way usually stop the bullying and you earn your respect by not dobbing to OSH (occupational safety ...) or HR.

Making a mountain out of the molehole makes everyone a loser.

Be assertive - one key to thrive in the Aussie workplace.

And the workplace is very concerned about being sued for bullying. And, it you develop work stress over such bullying, it is an OSH issue (read Major Issue). If it is a stressed union member, the union can step in uninvited and ask the company to explain.

Last edited:

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good one.

My experiences ... if you are bullied in an Australian workplace, and the bully is kind of unreasonable or dumb. Try to find out the people behind the bully. You may find his/her respected mate who seem to be a reasonable bloke. Just let him know that the bully is affecting your life and hope he can persuade the bully to stop before you raise the matter up the official channel.

Of course, if these people laugh at you, you can go straight to HR or ... even ... Channel 7.

But usually, that mate will help out and "come to me if your manager bully you again".
This Aussie way usually stop the bullying and you earn your respect by not dobbing to OSH (occupational safety ...) or HR.

Making a mountain out of the molehole makes everyone a loser.

Be assertive - one key to thrive in the Aussie workplace.

And the workplace is very concerned about being sued for bullying. And, it you develop work stress over such bullying, it is an OSH issue (read Major Issue). If it is a stressed union member, the union can step in uninvited and ask the company to explain.

hmm..thats a good move.....but it will be quite a hideous to ask the manager's mate... if its inter-state management..and you have your manager working at another state another office managing you...

tried a similar move once..but the mate doesnt want to be involve with inter-department politics and told me to speak to the manager's manager...which both of the are in cahoots together...

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hmm..thats a good move.....but it will be quite a hideous to ask the manager's mate... if its inter-state management..and you have your manager working at another state another office managing you...

tried a similar move once..but the mate doesnt want to be involve with inter-department politics and told me to speak to the manager's manager...which both of the are in cahoots together...

As long as it works for you. That is what counts.

I hate these interstate arrangements. Imagine attending a Sydney 9am meeting using polycom, it is bloody 6am Western Australia Time.

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
As long as it works for you. That is what counts.

I hate these interstate arrangements. Imagine attending a Sydney 9am meeting using polycom, it is bloody 6am Western Australia Time.

haha i concur...u cant even see the manager's face and etc... only conference calls...emails..etc..dont even know whats going on..on the other side...

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
how did you do it bro?? shoud share some good pointers.....

You have to understand this country is ruled by ex-convicts.. being nice & gentle will not work in Australia..
Hence if anyone attempt to push you to the end of cliff.. you know that you are dying soon, why not pulled him/her along & jump ?
If you have nothing to lose (you can get a job easily or have a chicken income.. or centrelink is taking care of you), you will place all your bets.
It is a lot more fun !

QXD is obviously having green eyes on me.. since he can't enjoy life, LIFE is going to enjoy him or screw him all over..
A gentle advice : Don't ever seek advice from loser :-)

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have to understand this country is ruled by ex-convicts.. being nice & gentle will not work in Australia..
Hence if anyone attempt to push you to the end of cliff.. you know that you are dying soon, why not pulled him/her along & jump ?
If you have nothing to lose (you can get a job easily or have a chicken income.. or centrelink is taking care of you), you will place all your bets.
It is a lot more fun !

QXD is obviously having green eyes on me.. since he can't enjoy life, LIFE is going to enjoy him or screw him all over..
A gentle advice : Don't ever seek advice from loser :-)

Agreed...very useful advice...

used to play it hard and aggressive when i first step foot on aussie soil...but toned down alot.... was unsuccessful in the beginning..was told Aussies are soft and compassionate...it works in the beginning...

most of my bosses that i have worked with are greeks, serbs, italian or indians....they favouritise alot...

indians are kind of worst...very shady and crafty...you never know what and how things are gonna happen to you everyday....

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Also, make things simple. do not try to anticipate that they understand the chim stuff you talk about.

If you feel shaky in Melbourne last nite?

I want the rain to stop so that I can bring my FIFO colleague's puppy named Ferrari for a run again. Booked the racetrack for the hooning workout.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can do it in the rain also lah. The Ferrari no roof 1 meh ?

Also, make things simple. do not try to anticipate that they understand the chim stuff you talk about.

If you feel shaky in Melbourne last nite?

I want the rain to stop so that I can bring my FIFO colleague's puppy named Ferrari for a run again. Booked the racetrack for the hooning workout.