• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

If you don't earn more then 300K a year in Australia you are poor.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sadly....only working as a casual, living on a min wage...with escalating rent...

If you are not covered by an award or agreement, your hourly rate should be $19.18. No less.
http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/labourrelations/PDF/Awards/M/MCEWagerateseffective1July2011.pdf

I have been writing about the lack of rentals in Perth. This is getting ridicious. Your property manager cannot raise rent if it is within the contractual agreement. I am not sure about your situation, whether utilities are included in your rent.
I have been reluctant to raise my rent because I want to keep good tenants. Sadly, not everyone agrees with me. Why do some property investors complains about tenants getting sub-tenants to help with the rent payment. It is a good idea to tell your property manager that when you pay your rent. If you are a good tenant, they should think twice about upping your rental.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Forget the Singapore way, for there is no meaning in life beyond materialism, only stinkies, sinkies and FTs.

Hey QXD,
Look at the Singapore society you left behind. Glad that you left ?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yexAR4t4Wx8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Alex Ong, the young punk who sparked a massive outcry by pushing an elderly woman off a SMRT bus has defended his actions on his Facebook.

In a Facebook note posted two hours ago, Alex explained that he was ‘provoked’ by the elderly woman into doing so after he tried to advise her against hitting the bell at the last minute:

“I was quite agitated when she just shouted back at me like this. We got into an argument, and I told her to “get off this bus”. She simply shot back, “no, I won’t.”With emotions running high, I let loose a “I will slap you!” to her, to which she said “come!”. I reached breaking point and gave her a light push, which resulted in her falling off the steps.”

He added that anybody else in his shoes would have exploded as well:

“Now, I know I should never have done this, but if you were in my shoes, you of course could have exploded as well.”

The bus driver subsequently called for the police and ambulance who arrived and took statements from both parties.

Alex claimed he suffered from clinical depression and obsessive compulsive disorder which explained the ‘rage’ he felt.

“I do not represent a society of decaying morals. I’m a product of a society that has abused me, neglected me, and ultimately, misunderstood me. I do not represent the decay of morals, I am the product of the decay of morals society has on individuals like myself.”

--------------------------------------------------
SingTel transferred elderly workers under its contract to Huawei Technologies

This “manage services” project which Singtel call it, was made known to us on 21/3/12. We have till 24/3/12 to sign the agreement. Effective date of transfer is 1st June 2012. Which means I am today a Huawei staff.

They give us some ex-gratia payment which they called a “sweetener”, for me it work out to about 3 months which I think is pathetic. I have worked in singtel for 32 yrs. Though I have signed the letter, I did it out of fear of loosing my job, just like many of my colleagues. What Singtel and Huawei is going to gain from this, I dont know. But what I can see clearly is most of the 525 affected staff are way above 50 yrs old just like me.

I am 52. If this happen to a company which is struggling to survive, then we can understand. But this is Singtel, a company that boast $900M profit year in and year out. Why are they allow to do this legally? isn’t it some sort of loop-hole for rich company to get rid of old staff?

We approached MOM, they say ask your union. But our union already agreed with everything without our knowledge, all union members were not informed about the final outcome till “tell day” 21/3/12. We approached lawyer, he say since all have signed, our case is pretty weak.

But I want to clarify -

1 – is it right to give just 3 days notice.
2 – we have no option, sign or be terminated.
3 – if the UNION makes mistakes on this matter, where can we seek justice? can we sue the UNION?
4 – SingTel makes big money, it should pay us accordingly. As far as I understand, it should be 1 yr service = 1 month pay, up to max of 25 months.

I could go on and on. Now, if this is really legal, then you can imagine 2 to 3 yrs down the road, how many 50+ old man will becomes jobless, and without proper payouts to sustain the period when they are jobless – Isn’t this a big concern for Society and Country at large? I feel totally insecure even though huawei promise us employment till 2014. What happens after 2014 is a big question mark.

CLIVE CHENG

Last edited:

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
sadly....only working as a casual, living on a min wage...with escalating rent...

Casual work can make heaps of money if you know where to look and willing to get your hands dirty. In fact some casual workers are paid more than full time if you go by the hours. Yeah but rents are shit. Rental apartments in perth are shitty ( the ones under 450 a week)

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
yeah sadly....after tax....nothing left....

this is the downside of emigrating to oz.....start from low but eventually you'll find the job matches your profession.(Still - don't set your expectation too high, white collar jobs in OZ are generally less challenging & stimulating than back home). Upside - you have better work-life balance and spend more time with your partner & family. What profession are you in?

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most if not all of the OECD. Yes, I too predict it will fall. House prices are stabilising, which is a good. Some areas are still high though. Imagine 600K for a 2 bedroom apartments, versus 400K for a 3 bedroom house. I think, as long as you are not brought on by the hype, specific areas, you should be alright. Most people tend to forget, house prices do increase in price, but over at least a 10 year period or more. At the end of the day, you need a shelter to live in, be it a rental or a mortgage. Got to pay the piper somewhere. Immigrants will continue to come to Sydney, some areas will continue to be more popular then others. If you are into investment properties, it might be the time to just wait for the "hot" locations. If you are into home ownership, I think its the time to buy. There is always a set minimum amount that a house is going for in Sydney, even in a falling market.

Its still about location, and we'll see about the interest rate boost. In Sydney Eastern Suburbs seems rock solid. But Australian property is still the most resilient market I have ever seen. But at least you are there, and not in SG.

Just read in the coffeeshop the Mercer cost of living index is in. Singapore is now number 6 in the world, Australian cities saw modest increases, not too bad Sydney is number 11, melboure is 15, and shocking - Perth is now the 19th most expensive city in the world.

What's happened to Perth?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

The minning boom. Ask neddy, he would be able to explain it better then I am. I personally know of at least 2-3 people moving to WA just for the minning boom there.

Australian house prices maybe resilient, but it does not mean its not coming to and end. I'm just hoping it is stabilising.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: If you don't earn more then 300K a year in Australia you are poor.ain

Its still about location, and we'll see about the interest rate boost. In Sydney Eastern Suburbs seems rock solid. But Australian property is still the most resilient market I have ever seen. But at least you are there, and not in SG.

Just read in the coffeeshop the Mercer cost of living index is in. Singapore is now number 6 in the world, Australian cities saw modest increases, not too bad Sydney is number 11, melboure is 15, and shocking - Perth is now the 19th most expensive city in the world.

Have you checked the the median income of Perth workers?
We have more high-income earners in Perth now relative to Sydney.
Over the past 5 years, income have gone up but productivity has not. All that add to the inefficiency cost.

This part of the world has always been about the quality of life, where the good lifestyle is more important than efficiency & work productivity.

We will see if the current cycle of high commodity prices last.

Eg Aussie TOLL truckers are earning more than twice the pay of their US counterparts. That tells you something.

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hah, they giving $15K to first home buyers now. I'm not sure if this would push the house prices higher or stabilise it. I think its a good idea. Help out first home buyers into the market on new property and collect stamp duties off people that already have a property. We'll have to wait and see how this pans out. Already, they are rushing to buy houses before this phase in.

http://smh.domain.com.au/real-estate-news/out-with-the-old-in-with-the-new-for-a-firsthome-handout-20120612-208bk.html

Out with the old, in with the new for a first-home handout
Stephen Nicholls
June 13, 2012
Read laterComments 13

Double or nothing for first home buyers
Good and bad news for first home buyers in NSW budget. Stephen Nicholls reports.
Autoplay OnOffVideo feedbackVideo settingsMore video
Recommended
Click to play video
Delicate double conundrum
Click to play video
Road to riches
Click to play video
Kids rule!
Click to play video
Not all good news for the housing market
Replay video
THE state government's property changes, which skewed support towards new homes, were predictably applauded by developers and mostly criticised by real estate agents.

The Budget changes mean NSW will have the most generous first home buyer scheme in the country - provided you buy a new house or apartment.

From October 1, the First Home Owner Grant will more than double to $15,000 for purchasers of new property under $650,000.

Advertisement: Story continues below

Buyers be quick... Daniel and Violeta Krajovski with daughters Emily and Olivia outside a project home at Middleton Grange. They are hoping to beat the cut-off. Photo: Dean Sewell
First-time buyers of new property will also continue to benefit from stamp duty exemptions.

The grant and stamp duty concessions mean a saving of more than $35,000 if buying a $550,000 home.
But first-timers purchasing existing property lose out, with the $7000 grant - introduced in 2000 - set to disappear.

Others disadvantaged by the budget are purchasers of off-the-plan projects who aren't first-home buyers.
Investors and upgraders buying $600,000 properties off-the-plan have been enjoying stamp-duty free status, but that will end on June 30.

The Budget announced that this would be replaced by a $5000 grant, but the stamp duty savings on a $600,000 property are currently $22,490.

Daniel and Violeta Krajovski are among those racing to finalise the sale of a $550,000 four-bedroom home in Middleton Grange in Sydney's west to beat the stamp duty cut-off.

After spending two months browsing the market, the Krajovskis fast-tracked their purchase when they realised they stood to miss out on the stamp duty savings after June 30.

''I thought well, maybe we should act now before all of that happens, before it all changes,'' said Mr Krajovski. ''Otherwise, I probably couldn't afford it later.''

Mr Krajovski said the new $5000 grant would be about $15,000 less than what he's set to receive from the stamp duty savings.

The CEO of the Urban Taskforce, Chris Johnson, applauded the first home buyer incentives to buy new, saying they should lead to more housing supply.
Mirvac's CEO for development, Bret Draffen, agreed.

''NSW has a serious housing shortfall which has led to an affordability crisis that can only be tackled through an increase in the supply of new homes,'' Mr Draffen said.

The Housing Industry Association's NSW executive director, David Bare, said the first home buyer package ''should provide a real confidence boost in activity for new home construction''.
Most real estate agents were less supportive.

''I don't like it. It's bad policy,'' Ray White chairman Brian White said.

''It's an economic measure for builders, instead of a focus on what's good for first-home buyers.

''For many people, buying an existing property makes sense because often the new stock isn't suitable, and to deny people that incentive is a grave error of judgment.''

The president of the Real Estate Institute of NSW, Christian Payne, was also critical.

''Whilst the first home buyer is an important part of the market, the fact is that the vast bulk of all residential property transactions are for existing dwellings,'' Mr Payne said.

The general manager of Laing and Simmons, Leanne Pilkington, said the budget was ''very disappointing''.

''It's nice for the people who are buying new property, but let's face it, a lot of the new properties are a long way out.

''Yes we've got apartment developments closer in ... but you're really only benefiting a small percentage of people.''

The LJ Hooker CEO, Janusz Hooker, predicted a rush from first-home buyers of existing property ahead of the October 1 deadline for the $7000 grant.

''There'll be some sort of spike, that's for sure,'' he said.

''This action will be stimulatory for both developers and agents.

''What's causing the market to be below average, it's purely [lack of] confidence.

''Anything we can do that will get the market onto an upward trajectory is a good thing.''

With Rebecca Sullivan

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

From the % that NSW properties have softened in the past year, I'm sure the NSW gov are going in with their eyes wide open, knowing full well that this subsidy, like any other, will be immediately priced into existing home values.

In effect, they know they MUST prop up those 90% loan +mortgage insurance 2009 FHOG owners who are coming our of their loan tenures to die die refinance rather than to force sell or foreclosed due to -ve equity.

Hah, they giving $15K to first home buyers now. I'm not sure if this would push the house prices higher or stabilise it. I think its a good idea. Help out first home buyers into the market on new property and collect stamp duties off people that already have a property. We'll have to wait and see how this pans out. Already, they are rushing to buy houses before this phase in.

http://smh.domain.com.au/real-estat...w-for-a-firsthome-handout-20120612-208bk.html

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

From the % that NSW properties have softened in the past year, I'm sure the NSW gov are going in with their eyes wide open, knowing full well that this subsidy, like any other, will be immediately priced into existing home values.

In effect, they know they MUST prop up those 90% loan +mortgage insurance 2009 FHOG owners who are coming our of their loan tenures to die die refinance rather than to force sell or foreclosed due to -ve equity.

Disagree. I noticed that the FHOG applies to new housing only. This is different from ... say ... KRudd version which resulted in home buyers buying EXISTING homes (benefit current owners) rather than NEW homes. (adding to the housing stock).

That is why the real estate industry is not happy. It is not propping up prices of existing housing stock.

Anyway, rational voices have been telling the governments that FHOG should be fine-tuned as temporary measure, not as a "Get out of jail FREE" for election votes.
As left as a permanent policy, it will only artifically boost the lowest sector of housing, making housing less affordable to the very buyers it is supposed to help.

Last edited:

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is the downside of emigrating to oz.....start from low but eventually you'll find the job matches your profession.(Still - don't set your expectation too high, white collar jobs in OZ are generally less challenging & stimulating than back home). Upside - you have better work-life balance and spend more time with your partner & family. What profession are you in?

still looking to get into engg or finance field.....currently working a csr casually to make a living....

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
still looking to get into engg or finance field.....currently working a csr casually to make a living....

Life is not a bed of roses in Oz. Must play dirty politics. I endured the past four years of roller coaster rides. Finally, I managed to rally a group of managers to condem a 26 years of long service old man.. Kena Sai.. play punk with this rebellious Asian dude.. lol !

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I did not notice that bit of detail.

But I guess I should have known...just like Labor would prop up overpaid and underworked blue collars (FHOB, FHOG), Libs will always prop up expensive and uncompetitive businesses (Construction, Manufacturing).

I will always remember the Howard years when Telstra held ransom the entire country with their copper lines, actually INCREASING internet charges YOY while always crying poor about "increasing maintenance costs".

BTW, loved it when they asked Krudd what he had to say about that Mexican crook leaving Telstra: "Adios!"

That's why elections is the vote between the lesser of two evils. Either taxes go up up and up (Labor) or living costs go up up and up (Liberals). I think end of the day though, we may still need another term of Labor to duke it out with the Banks.

High time those bunch of scalpers woke up and felt some REAL competition.

Disagree. I noticed that the FHOG applies to new housing only. This is different from ... say ... KRudd version which resulted in home buyers buying EXISTING homes (benefit current owners) rather than NEW homes. (adding to the housing stock).

That is why the real estate industry is not happy. It is not propping up prices of existing housing stock.

Anyway, rational voices have been telling the governments that FHOG should be fine-tuned as temporary measure, not as a "Get out of jail FREE" for election votes.
As left as a permanent policy, it will only artifically boost the lowest sector of housing, making housing less affordable to the very buyers it is supposed to help.

Last edited:

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Life is not a bed of roses in Oz. Must play dirty politics. I endured the past four years of roller coaster rides. Finally, I managed to rally a group of managers to condem a 26 years of long service old man.. Kena Sai.. play punk with this rebellious Asian dude.. lol !

get that shit alot too...asians always get bullied at workplace....

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
get that shit alot too...asians always get bullied at workplace....

It not only happens to Asians, even Ang Moh newbies get it too at the workplace.

Just that a lot of newly migrated stinkies, stuck in their "meritocratic society" mindset, think their qualifications are made of gold, are ill-equipped with the skill of verbal thrust and parry in a jest with Ang Mohs, sounding idiotically incoherent with a weak comeback and walk away banging their balls.

Not surprisingly, the very same stinkie would only find the right comeback shortly after the encounter and end up mumbling to themselves or twist the story for a quick boast amongst his fellow stinkie migrants.

That's the real reason why these class of people end up feeling "looked down upon".

Last edited:

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal

Have you checked the the median income of Perth workers?
We have more high-income earners in Perth now relative to Sydney.
Over the past 5 years, income have gone up but productivity has not. All that add to the inefficiency cost.

This part of the world has always been about the quality of life, where the good lifestyle is more important than efficiency & work productivity.

We will see if the current cycle of high commodity prices last.

Eg Aussie TOLL truckers are earning more than twice the pay of their US counterparts. That tells you something.

Yes looking at the numbers its shocking. Every time I look at rents its going up - which is strange because during the last up-cycle I did not see a huge increase in rents. This time, yes. I wonder if the housing shortage is the impetus - that and those grants - that stops home prices from falling this time around.

Your government has many tools at its disposal. I wonder how much firepower they will unleash. And it looks like they are "encouraging" home builders to begin housing starts in their own way.

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
It not only happens to Asians, even Ang Moh newbies get it too at the workplace.

Just that a lot of newly migrated stinkies, stuck in their "meritocratic society" mindset, think their qualifications are made of gold, are ill-equipped with the skill of verbal thrust and parry in a jest with Ang Mohs, sounding idiotically incoherent with a weak comeback and walk away banging their balls.

Not surprisingly, the very same stinkie would only find the right comeback shortly after the encounter and end up mumbling to themselves or twist the story for a quick boast amongst his fellow stinkie migrants.

That's the real reason why these class of people end up feeling "looked down upon".

totally.. and sucking up is a norm tooo...its part of the culture...the aus way of life....

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

House rental went up in "up market" areas. Example, inner city, inner west. You can either rent a 1 bedder for $450 a week in glebe or a 3-4 bedroom house with double garage, backyard out west. The prices are exactly the same.

Yes looking at the numbers its shocking. Every time I look at rents its going up - which is strange because during the last up-cycle I did not see a huge increase in rents. This time, yes. I wonder if the housing shortage is the impetus - that and those grants - that stops home prices from falling this time around.

Your government has many tools at its disposal. I wonder how much firepower they will unleash. And it looks like they are "encouraging" home builders to begin housing starts in their own way.